Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I don't really post in this thread, but I just wanted to say that I beat Cave Story(+) for the first time today. I only got the normal ending so I know there's more to it, but it feels really good to put a game to bed like this after getting stuck on the final boss half a lifetime ago in 2004-5 when the original freeware Aeon Genesis translation came out.

My big gaming goal for 2022 wasn't to beat games necessarily, but to bring my Steam average achievement/completion rate from 24% to 30%. We ended up having our second baby in September so gaming goals naturally fell to the wayside, but I did enjoy having that kind of focus to help me decide what I should play next. Here's a list of games I made significant progress on this year:

• Cookie Clicker 92% done, that's 537 achievements folks. Still have this one running in the background during workdays.
  • Wizorb honestly I don't like this game and I haven't beaten it yet but I went from 15% in 2013 to 40% done now and that's okay.
  • Cave Story+ boosted from 1% in 2018 to 44% now, got the coward ending and normal endings on easy, still counts.
  • Western Press went from 36% in 2017 to 80% in less than an hour just mopping up easy challenges. This could be a fun party game I guess
  • Demon's Tilt 41% done, gonna keep booting this one up here and there to get the more gettable achievements. It's a really fun pinball game!
  • Vampire Survivors 69% done, I don't see this game ever leaving my Steam Deck.
  • Slipstream 45% done, really fun arcade racer, cars feel really heavy for some reason.
  • Trombone Champ 42% done, pretty funny experience but boosting completion any higher means grinding.
  • Abyss Odyssey went from 29% in 2015 to 41% now, this was another game that I had on the back burner forever and wouldn't have gone back to without this little exercise.
  • King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match Final Edition 58% done, it turns out it's really easy to get a bunch of offline achievements if you set the AI to dumb as rocks easy and give yourself infinite super meter.
  • Streets of Rage 4 68% done, this was a big Steam Deck game for me, was able to get a bunch of achievements for beating the game with a bunch of different characters.
  • Castlevania Advance Collection 33% done, I had beaten Circle and Harmony and petered out on Aria back when they originally came out. This time I got as far as I could in all three without grinding and I'm not sure I feel like going any farther.
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon 90% done, this was probably the biggest game I beat on the Deck this year. Tons of fun, in the top 3 of the series that I have played with Zero and Kiwami 2.
  • Buck Up and Drive 46% another really fun arcade racer, plays different from anything else in the genre.
  • Bomber Crew 36% I don't think I'll be beating this one anytime soon because it does get tough, but I got it over the 30% threshold so I'm happy.
  • 12 Labours of Hercules III: Girl Power 23% in 2020 to 63% done, fun little timewaster, was at the top of my games list because it starts with a number.
  • 1917 The Alien Invasion DX boosted from 28% in 2020 to 61% now, I liked the music and mechanics of this top down shooter but visually it's gross.
  • Frog Detective 1: The Haunted Island 100% completed, great game, I gotta pick up the sequels!
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice 67% done actually beat this one as well, maybe my favorite Soulsbourne game.
  • Block'Hood 51% done, beat the campaign, fun little city builder/puzzle game.
  • Action Henk boosted from 29% in 2020 to 52% now, silly little runner game, managed to beat the main stages.
  • Feather 100% completed, open-world bird game, more of a toy than a game, got 100% achievements by booting it up.
  • Devil May Cry 5 41% done, beat the main game on normal, I do have to go back to it at some point to mop up some of the stage specific achievements and watch the live-action cutscenes
  • Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015: Do You Still Shower With Your Dad went from 23% in 2015 to 64% now, this is still a very silly meme game of its time but I didn't hate it
  • Hatoful Boyfriend went from 6% in 2015 to 100% completed, not the biggest VN guy out there but this stayed interesting throughout.
  • LUFTRAUSERS from 42% in 2017 to 66% now, I managed to sink a goddamn blimp so that felt great
  • Brigador took from 18% in 2020 to 38% now, the dev drama is really disappointing but the game's still a blast
  • Mortal Kombat 11 34% I played this one a ton on Switch when it first came out and just re-bought here to get the high-fidelity experience. I might go back to it at some point down the line to boost completion score higher as it's all very gettable.
  • Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection 47% done, just cheesing arcade mode on all the games with save states. Probably never going to play online since I would just use Fightcade for that.
  • Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth: Record of Lodoss War 64% done, actually beat this one, fun little Metroidvania game
  • Capcom Arcade Stadium boosted from 30% in 2021 to 40%, I only have 1942 and Forgotten Worlds. Forgotten Worlds is still fun!
  • Fire Pro Wrestling World boosted from 34% in 2020 to 59%, the visual novel mode they added to the game is cute, but the achievements are all based around trying the different match types and grinding out matches and create-a-wrestlers

There's a bunch more games that I booted up but didn't make enough progress to mention here, but that's enough words for now. I didn't think I had played so many different games this year but the Steam Deck in particular has really given me these opportunities to squeeze in some PC game time that I didn't have before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I just beat Astlibra Revision and Frog Detective 3, feels good :)

Frog Detective I got 100% achievements, Astlibra is at 98%, the only thing missing is beating the fame on Difficult or harder... It's a great game, but I don't think I have it in me to play through the whole thing again right now.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I just beat Rabi-Ribi for the first time, including the post-game, in about 20 hours. This is a game I first started in 2016, so it feels great to check it off the list.

The game has 220 achievements in total and a large portion of them are associated with beating the game at higher difficulties, speedrunning the game, sequence breaking, beating bosses without taking damage, etc... I was able to get 73/220 (33%), and I don't see myself getting much higher than that without spending hundreds of hours more on it.

Overall I think it's a great game but I don't have the bug to obsess over it for that long.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
Completed Void Stranger : I got all of the achievements in one sitting. It's a pretty simple Game Boy game. The music is nice.