Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Beaten: Arkham City GOTY Edition - Honestly, I wasn't expecting to like this one more than Asylum, and, being honest, I didn't. But it's still pretty good. I'll give Origins a fair shake if they ever fix all the bugs, but even as well as the open-world structure is implemented in this game, I yearned to go back to the hub-style world of Asylum. I just prefer all the interior set pieces and map design and by the end of the game I was really getting sick of not having a fast travel option (if there is one don't tell me).

Beaten: Fester Mudd - Not great, but it was a SCUMM-style adventure game, so I had to play it all the way through. It felt as short and cheap as what I paid for it. Unsurprisingly the game is also available on iOS, and it feels like an iOS game in depth and length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nulled all of these:

Antichamber - It bluescreened my laptop, a first. I think all the math going on in that game was too much for this poor computer. It couldn't handle it!!
Blocks That Matter - Got stuck on a puzzle and then realized that I was never really having that much fun with it.
Capsized - Initially I kind of liked it because it felt like a modern Apogee game, except that there's a reason why people only played the free Apogee shareware games and didn't pay for the full Apogee games.
Costume Quest - I think it crashed close to the end and I lost an hour of progress. Always a motivation ruiner!!
Intrusion 2 - People compared this to Metal Slug/Contra, and I guess it's like those games, if they were made in Adobe Flash for Newgrounds. It's not fun.
NightSky - Howlongtobeat claimed this game takes just 2 hours to beat, but it feels more like 20 hours. I don't know why it feels like such a chore because I love Knytt/Stories.
Orcs Must Die - Just flat out lost interest.
Poker Night 2 - Took too long to get to the prize items and I didn't care anymore.
They Bleed Pixels - I'm on board with the mechanics of the game but the level design just seems masochistic.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN:

Broken Age - Pretty good, too bad the 2nd half won't come out until 2015.
Gunpoint - Cool game, doesn't overstay its welcome. Doesn't really use all its mechanics like I would have expected it to by the end.
Gone Home - It's like exploring a Fallout 3 vault except without the lovely Fallout 3 combat so it's better than Fallout 3
Papers Please - Stressful near the end when they start overloading you with responsibilities, but surprisingly I got the 2nd best ending (although I believe it's actually the best ending) on my 2nd try. I guess I have a knack for efficient tedious work!!
Wolf Among Us - Easy for people to hate on the finale right now but I played through all 5 at once for the first time and I didn't notice any real drop across the whole series. It was fun the whole way through and you can be whatever kind of noir detective you wanna be, a hardass, a jerk with a heart of gold, a softy, a piece of poo poo, whatever.
Chronology - A platformer where you hop between past and future (ala light world/dark world), items in past affect the future, so there are puzzles to progress through. It was neat but very very short, felt like 90s shareware length of game.
Battleblock Theater - An overhyped game during Steam Sale. It's fun for the first couple of worlds but the best platformers know when to shake things up and provide variety. Rayman Legends is awesome because every level has something new and unique about it. Battleblock Theater has what I would call "Leveleditoritis". The only difference between world 1-3 and world 6-3 is that it is skinned differently and there are additional hazards. An ultimately dull, dull game, with bland humor.
Detective Case & Clown-Bot - Sidescrolling Point'n'click with interesting art style, bebop soundtrack, an "audience" that applauds boos or laughs at the game, and interrogation sequences where you accuse people with evidence. All neat things, but the translation is "English is not their first language", the humor falls flat the entire time, and the plot is not funny bad, it's just a head scratcher.

ONGOING:
Stealth Bastard Deluxe - This one's cool but I can only play it for a few minutes at a time. It's got that Portal-style snarkiness to its design, but it's a sidescrolling stealth platformer. Despite "stealth" it's pretty uptempo.
Arkham Blackgate HD - Another game that's best in short bursts. It's a Metroidvania and a relatively average one except that you get to be Batman and beat the poo poo out of everyone. The combat isn't fluid like the main Arkham games but it's still fun to mash buttons and beat everyone up. The weird thing is Batman has the same VA as Sonic the Hedgehog and Thomas from Regular Show.
Teslagrad - Another Metroid but with powers based on electricity, like teleporting and magnets (those are electric right?? it's science!!!). Didn't play enough to get a real flavor for it yet.
Strider - Yes yes yes this is the best Metroidvania I've played so far on Steam, move over Guacamelee, this poo poo just feels good the whole time. Combat as fast and visceral as Ys Origin. That's the way I like it.
Long Live the Queen - As a massive trial and error game, I reached a point where no matter how much I retried from that save game I couldn't win, so it'll be tough to stay with this game for a while.
The Inner World - Cute point n' click with a nice interface and weird voice acting. Lo-fi animation but pleasant animation to look at.
Call of Juarez Gunslinger - Pew pew reach for the sky
Brothers: Tale of Two Sons - Like Ico minus the bullshit
Offspring Fling - Might shelf this one, I'm about halfway in and much like Battleblock Theater there's not enough new mechanics/design brought to the table over time.
Marlow Briggs - Feels like a modern coin-op game, the action literally never stops. I can hang with this one.

SHELVED
Cloudbuilt - Too busy, noisy, and all at once for me.
Edna & Harvey the Breakout - People say this is better than Harvey's New Eyes, which I liked, but this engine is awful. It locks up constantly, I lose progress, there's really bad load times. I don't know what the deal is. It's jank as gently caress and I can't deal.

UPCOMING GAMES
Goodbye Deponia, Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav, Walking Dead S2, Testament of Sherlock Holmes, Tomb Raider, Arkham Origins, Papo & Yo, Skyborn, Borderlands 2, Dead Space 1, ACIV: Black Flag, Dishonored

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN:
Strider - So far this is the GOTY for me, possibly the best Metroidvania on Steam, even though it is as linear as Metroid Fusion, it's just so fuckin fun and fast. And the difficulty curve does not ascend to total bullshit either.
Brothers: Tale of Two Sons - It was good, it was kind of predictable in the sense that, it's essentially a fairy tale and you know the tropes. But the part where you (MAJOR SPOILER) bury your brother is fuckin brutal. That was a rough moment. I think I do prefer it to Ico.

ADDED:
Papo & Yo - So I'm actually almost finished this one but I'm squeezing it in to whatever free hour I have at the end of the night. Which isn't a great time to do it. It's not the cheeriest subject matter, although the music and visuals are pleasing and uplifting I guess. It's pretty good. NOT SUBTLE, THOUGH. Not in the slightest.
DKC Returns 3D - I may as well add my 3DS games in here because I play 3DS in bed before my brain fizzles out. This game is definitely not the game that Tropical Freeze is but it's extremely competent and it still does what I like which is to have every level have a new hook or approach. The 3D Marios do this, Rayman Origins/Legends does this, and DKCR/DKCTF do this very well. The framerate problems are overblown, it's not 60 but it's absolutely fine. It looks great.
Picross E2 - This is no joke, I will conquer every picross game, I slayed Mario Picross, I finished Picross DS, I finished Picross 3D, I finished multiple iOS Picross games like Paint it Back, I finished Picross E4, I finished Picross E3, and I will finish this one soon. Maybe someday they'll make an actual full-fledged Picross game for 3DS and not these little mediocre appetizers. This is my go to "get my brain to stop thinking about things and get tired" game at night, after this it'll be back to Pushmo and then back to... I don't know. Minis on the Move???

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

COMPLETED: Destiny Beta - Hmmmm well it's okay, but I wouldn't buy it at launch. My main issue is that the solo campaign feels like it was randomly generated just like an MMO. When mission design has to be held back because each one is in the same exact map and also other people are playing on it, there are issues. It's a weird comparison to make but I think Bungie should look to Mario 64/Sunshine and see how they were able to make the missions on their maps all feel unique despite going back to the same level over and over. Right now Destiny's missions have you going through the same buildings and the enemy placement is the only thing that changes. I'm sure someone will tell me that the multiplayer is the only reason to play Destiny and that's fine.

COMPLETED: LOVE+ - Not a great game but it was in a bundle and it took 30 minutes to beat so it was fine enough. Just your basic 'retro platformer' that could have come from TIGSource for all I know.

COMPLETED: Papo & Yo - LEAST. SUBTLE. GAME. IN HISTORY. But still alright.

COMPLETED: Goodbye Deponia - People weren't kidding about the racism, holy poo poo. Definitely the worst in the trilogy and the main character is maybe at his most repugnant in this game.

COMPLETED: The Inner World - pretty charming point n click adventure with atrocious voice acting, decent engine, weird worldbuilding. The game's ending is pretty sudden and short.

ADDED: Sticker Star - People hate this game, it seems alright to me so far and I love the music.

ADDED: Soul Suspect - We'll see how this one goes. I got it for $15 so it wasn't a big deal.

ADDED: Shovel Knight - About 1/3rd of the way in so far. I usually try to squeeze this one in before I hit the hay.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Soul Suspect - Excellent walking sim with terrible stealth 'gameplay'. It'd be perfect without the combat entirely. I enjoyed walking through walls and eavesdropping on people. The story was fine and silly in a good way.

BEATEN: Shovel Knight - It's good and Propeller Knight is the best music in the game. I'll play through it again when they add some of the stretch goal patches.

BEATEN: Testament of Sherlock Holmes - poo poo game, regretted playing through the whole thing, the other Frogwares Sherlocks are better, what the gently caress was this game and its dumb as poo poo final act. You go from sinister suspicions around Sherlock to Saturday Morning villain plot on a dime. Boooooooooooooooo

BEATEN: Tomb Raider - I enjoyed playing this game but this is not a game that can be taken seriously. The entire time is spent devising ways to have Lara faceplant or slam into something. There isn't a single thing that doesn't break or snap and cause Lara to slam into a rock or tree.

BEATEN: Bioshock Infinite - Honestly, it was better than the anti-hype indicated, but it ends on such a goofball note and it's hard to tell if they actually spent a long time coming up with that plot twist or if it was the 4th or 5th pitch that was given in the writers room. They probably would have been better off not trying to tie it into the other games. Either way it's the end of that franchise and I think that's just fine.

ONGOING: Sticker Star - This is a game I can't put down, but I also recognize that people hate it. There's nothing I can do about this. I just like the game.

ADDED: Dishonored - I'm past the first mission with the overseer, and I've already encountered Bethesda Jank when I personally watched the uncle captain escape and flee down the streets, only to find out later that somehow he was still considered dead. Oh well!!

ADDED: Book of Unwritten Tales - Early impression is not very strong. I'm already not interested in the plot or the humor. Which is bad for a point n click adventure.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Goofballs posted:

There is a spot that's marked as safe to leave his body so unless he's unconscious there he's dead. Its a bit daft but if he meets the guy who wants to kill him for drinks and you spill everything the guy will lure him down to his weird sex dungeon and presumably murder him there with assistance.
I went to his secret chamber and I stopped him from murdering the dude, but the captain didn't say anything and he just left and then ran out of the place as some guards chased him. Like, I looked out a window later and saw him running past the gate and everything.

But I guess there was supposed to be some sort of dialogue that was supposed to trigger that would award me the completed objective that didn't trigger.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Dishonored - What a cool game (INDEED I BELIEVE SO), it's also one of the few PC first person games that controls really well with the 360 controller which is good for lean-back gaming. The stealth AI is kind of crap but everything else was great.

BEATEN: Dead Space - System Shock 2.5 essentially. Got a little tiring near the end, like this needed to be a 6-7 hour campaign rather than an 9 hour campaign. Too much backtracking!

BEATEN: Call of Juarez Gunslinger - The ultimate run and gun game. At some point it starts to feel like a shooting gallery rather than a FPS. Like a super insanely fast modern remake of Mad Dog McCree.

SHELVED: Alice: Madness Returns - First impressions did not thrill me. The game is hard-locked to 30fps and that already is a snoozer. Also the combat is identical to Ocarina of Time and combat in OOT was not exactly the greatest.

SHELVED: Book of Unwritten Tales - First impressions were not great. Bland storytelling, bland design. Lots of lampshade humor which is frankly lame.

ADDED: Dishonored Knife of Dunwall - I pretty much have to, right. It's an additional campaign, I mean c'mon.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Marlow Briggs - $1 during the Steam sale was highway robbery... for the first 3/5ths of this game, which honestly is probably good enough for me. It's just, the last 2/5ths are really not very fun. Too many enemies with ridiculous amounts of HP. I just started running past most combat where I could.

BEATEN: Prince of Persia 08 - This game was fun EXCEPT FOR THE BANJO KAZOOIE poo poo. Stop making me collect light seed jiggys, just let me go explore places.

BEATEN: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Great level design offering varied routes, fun goofy story, super low-budget ending; it's a legit Deus Ex game.

IFFY: Metro 2033 - I'm not feeling it so far.

ADDED: Bulletstorm - I actually shelved this game when E3 came up and I got super busy with E3 stuff, now I'm gonna get back into it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I also couldn't get into the original but enjoyed DE:HR. The Fall is a disasterpiece

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

You don't have to stealth it. There's no real penalty for just running and gunning, the game works for all different types of playstyles. The different endings of the game are all accessible at the end no matter how you play the game up until that point.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Bulletstorm - Glad I gave this game a second chance. I love that the slide is faster than sprinting. I slid as much as possible, and kicked as much as possible.

BEATEN: The Darkness II - A pretty solid story shooter, that cycles between action levels and casual walkin'n'talkin levels. The powers are fun and add to the combat options rather than feeling like a bad gimmick.

BEATEN: Bioshock: Burial at Sea - Story aside, it's loving gorgeous and I'll miss this series.

BEATEN: Dishonored: Knife of Dunwall/Brigmore Witches - Fantastic 6 hour campaign. I somehow still ended up with low chaos ending despite actually dishing out some pain this time around. I guess I just didn't get caught very often so I didn't have to fight much.

ONGOING:
Alpha Protocol - Giving this a second chance.
Borderlands 2 - Mostly only playing with friends.
Botanicula - Lunch break game, will be finished soon.
Deadlight
Hard Reset - Giving it a second chance, running n' gunning this time.
Hitman Absolution - After Blood Money didn't support my 360 gamepad I went with this one, knowing it doesn't match up. It'll be ok.
Teslagrad - Just not super motivated to get back to this one yet.

SOME POINT IN THE FUTURE:
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Arkham Origins, Castle Crashers, Chronicles of Riddick, Dust: An Elysian Tail, FEAR, FLY'N, The Last Remnant, Left 4 Dead 1/2, Mass Effect 2, Mini Ninjas, RAGE, The Raven, Red Faction: Armageddon, Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs, The Swapper, Thief Deadly Shadows, Trine 2, The Walking Dead S2, World of Goo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I've already completed 4 more games in the last 2 days.

BEATEN: Deus Ex: The Fall - What a trainwreck of an iOS port. It's like if Human Revolution had a sequel that was released on Playstation 2 and then remade on Vita and then ported to PC. So half of the game is HD and half of it is a low-textured/low-poly mess, all the Human Revolution game mechanics are present but compromised, enemies fall over like it's 1997, and hilariously the game ends on a cliffhanger that will never be resolved. If it is, I do not care how.

BEATEN: Alpha Protocol - Started and beaten in a brisk 12 hours. The spy stuff is actually fun once you get out of the initial "modern shooter" location.

BEATEN: Hard Reset - Hard to recommend this game. Not enough variety and very bizarre level design.

BEATEN: The Expendabros - Technically it's a demo but whatever. It's almost like an Apogee shareware version of Broforce.

ADDED: Full Bore - Block-puzzler meets open-world Fez-like design? I'm in.

ADDED: Tiny Barbarian DX - It's no Shovel Knight but it's alright.

ONGOING: Arkham Blackgate, Binary Domain, Borderlands 2, Botanicula, Deadlight, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, Hitman Absolution, Teslagrad

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Paper Mario Sticker Star - I don't care that people hate this game, I loved it. It is a few levels too long, but every level has an interesting idea, it's still goofy like a Paper Mario game, the Thing combat animations are loving great. By the end of the game I was hunting down Secret Doors just to find new Things so I could see what they do in battle.

BEATEN: Hitman Absolution - Even though this is the most playable Hitman on a gamepad, and controls really well, the actual game design is super bad, which is a real shame. The story content is pretty awful too. Some of the solutions are pretty clever, but it's not very organic.

BEATEN: Tiny Barbarian DX Episode 1 - This came with Full Bore in a Humble Bundle, and it was a cute little arcade game. It felt like something I'd see on TIGSource, but that's okay. I like the idea of it being bite-sized like an NES game, but having additional installments of the same length added as free DLC. I think that's cool.

BEATEN: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - Thumbs sideways. If this is an advertisement for the type of gameplay in Far Cry 3, I'm probably not interested in buying Far Cry 3. It's a little lethargic, the gun feel is pretty lovely. Armored enemies were a pain in the rear end. Just wasn't feeling it.

BEATEN: Super House of Dead Ninjas - Came back around to finishing this game after getting my rear end kicked by the final boss so many times. I finally pulled it off. The actual attack patterns weren't that hard to avoid once I stopped panicking.

ADDED: Phoenix Wright vs Professor Layton - Puzzles'n'tricks
ADDED: A Story About My Uncle - Played for a half hour, seems cool so far, running jumping n' grappling in a weird world.
ADDED: Deadlight - May have added it before but just started it this weekend. It plays like Another World! This rocketed my interest in the game significantly.

ONGOING: Full Bore (LOVE THIS GAME), Botanicula, Arkham Blackgate HD, Teslagrad, Binary Domain

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Deadlight - Pretty awesome Another World-style game with zombos. Not sure why this game is hated so much. I think the sewer level is a little too long but otherwise it's a nice, compact little game.

BEATEN: Walking Dead Season 2 - Not quite as solid as season 1 but still pretty fun. I got what they were going for this season (it's been a while into the zombo age and everyone is on edge and distrustful and also losing their minds), but the group's constant reliance on the 11 year old kid to make the decisions for the group really started to strain credibility for me.

BEATEN: Left 4 Dead - I beat one campaign and that was enough. This kind of shooter is not really for me, and the level design was not very sharp either.

BEATEN: Full Bore - One of my games of the year so far. A non-linear block-pushing puzzler full of exploration and discovery on par with Fez, but minus the incomprehensible puzzles. It's all doable and you get that "eureka" satisfaction every time you solve one.

BEATEN: Picross e2 - I wish the 3DS had better Picross offerings, I really do.

BEATEN: Splinter Cell Conviction - A Jack Bauer sim. Not a real Splinter Cell game (stealth primarily functions as a tool for combat to flank and confuse enemies). If you ever wanted to Jack Bauer it up, this is the game.

ONGOING: Arkham Origins, Mass Effect 2, Phoenix Wright vs Professor Layton, Borderlands 2, Botanicula, Teslagrad, A Story About My Uncle

UPCOMING: The Swapper, Little Inferno, Shank 2, Red Faction: Armageddon, RAGE, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I did it. I beat my 50th game since the summer sale. I'm the worst.

BEATEN: Arkham Origins - This game seemed every bit as fun as City, and it was neat to see Gotham pre-hosed, and also I had a much easier time maintaining combat flow in this game than in City, when most people claimed the opposite. I dunno what the difference was.

BEATEN: The Swapper - Cool puzzle game, didn't really get the existential dread that people waxed about, I think the game's just a lil too silly for it.

BEATEN: Five Night's at Freddy's - I beat this game in the sense that I played through the first night, got the rare "flickering Teddy" event, and watched the rest via a Let's Play. The nature of this game is that it's different every time so I will come back to it eventually. Maybe with other people.

BEATEN: RAGE - Pretty fantastic game, IMO. Campaign was just the right length, the level design is really tight, the weapons feel good, the only criticism I'd have is that the quests are not too varied, but otherwise I much preferred this game to either Borderlands.

BEATEN: Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright - It was pretty good. The ending was typical Layton, the only things that this game were really missing were the Turnabout moments in court (rarely does Phoenix flip perspective on events), the kind of crazy witness animations I expect from AA games (barely present at all), and an ending without everyone putting food on Phoenix's tab!! What the heck!! That's a tradition!!

ADDED: Remember Me - Seems cool so far, love the environments, and the premise, plus the combat's alright too.

ADDED: Little Inferno - My 'wind-down' game in the evening, just mindless entertainment really.

ADDED: The Fall - Cool hybrid-genre game, mixing platformer with inventory puzzles and gun combat.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Remember Me - The combat is not as bad as people say but it is true that the second you find out about memory remixing you immediately realize the game is not going to fully explore this concept and that is the real shame. You get I think 4 memory remix scenes in the entire game, when there should have been at least one every chapter!!

BEATEN: The Fall - It was a cool, short side-scrolling inventory-puzzling gun-shooting adventure. I guess it's part 1 of a trilogy? I wonder when the next part will come out. Who knows with indie games.

BEATEN: Story About My Uncle - An alright spiderman platformer where you have a grapple hook, super jump, rocket boots, extra-long jump, and have to navigate perilous, increasingly sparse environments trying not to fall to your death.

BEATEN: Little Inferno - Cool toy. Was not expecting the weird genre shift in the ending.

BEATEN: Outlast - BOO!!!!! Okay so I liked the game but the jump scares are totally unnecessary. The game's spooky enough already, when will developers realize this??

BEATEN: Botanicula - Honestly? I preferred Machinarium. This just didn't have staying power for me. And some of the puzzles seemed completely random, even moreso than Samorost.

ADDED: ACIV Black Flag, Deadly Premonition, Finding Teddy, Ether One

ON DECK: Thi4f, Child of Light, Shank 2, Toki Tori 2+, Tex Murphy Overseer

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Finding Teddy - Really simple adventure game, I wonder if it was originally designed for tablets, since there's almost no interface to speak of and every click has visual feedback.

BEATEN: Ether One - This game was my jam. If you like Gone Home you should play this game because it's like a much larger, puzzle-filled version. The story is a little silly with an "AAA game"-esque plot twist, but other than that, it's got all the things you want: 3D object interaction, reading letters and notes, pulling levers, using inventory items with other items. The works.

BEATEN: Red Faction Armageddon - Uhh to say average is an understatement. This game does not even try to be better than average. It's as if they set out from the beginning to make the most marginally passable shooter in history.

ADDED: F.E.A.R., XCOM: The Bureau, Thi4f, Far Cry 3

ONGOING: ACIV Black Flag, Deadly Premonition

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 23, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: F.E.A.R. - I had this on my "will probably never play" category, but I tried it out of the blue and holy cow it's fun. The gameplay's aged very well for a 9 year old game. The graphics... well they're serviceable but you are seeing the same office environments over and over and over and over and over.

BEATEN: Only If - Saw the words "free", "narrative" and "weird" and that pushed every button. Okay so it has some serious issues, like the audio is often ridiculously quiet, and the house section of the game is way too dark to be able to see anything most of the time. But this is a weird wild ride. Play it with a walkthrough so you know what the gently caress you're supposed to do.

BEATEN: Thi4f - I mean it wasn't terrible but it felt like thievery and stealth were optional components. The design is terrible, and I'm not just talking about the linearity, but the lack of routes! Dishonored has somewhat linear level design and yet it's able to have different routes for different playstyles. Instead Thi4f funnels you, constantly, endlessly down paths littered with guards. I don't feel stealthy so much as I feel lucky when I'm not caught. And then there are levels where for no reason you're being chased as things explode around you, or you're running through a collapsing exploding city, and it's like.. what happened here. Did Square Enix have some other game that they re-shaped into a Thief game? I don't understand.

BEATEN: Far Cry 3 - After disliking Blood Dragon, I let my guard down and was really surprised by how good Far Cry 3 is. Blood Dragon just feels like a really lovely demo now. I wanna come back to this game later and do the side stuff, which I don't normally do in games. Never could find boars though, always pigs.

ONGOING: ACIV Black Flag, Deadly Premonition, Teslagrad, XCOM: The Bureau

Steam Completionist says I have less than 50 'unplayed' games in my library. :eyepop:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Teslagrad - Would I say this was.. great? No. But it was okay. As far as Metroidvanias go, this is about as middle of the pack as they get. By the time you get all your neat magneto powers the game is already over, and I mean maybe 4 hours of game length.

Now it's time for a Mediocre Myst-esque Marathon!! I played three of these with a walkthrough because at some point I just stopped caring.

BEATEN: Dark Fall I - Honestly, this one was okay, but I don't know how adventure game websites thought this was the scariest adventure game ever!!! It's about as spooky as an episode of goosebumps. But if you like reading lots of newspaper clippings and letters and diaries, this is the 640x480 game for you!! It's also super ugly even for 2002.

BEATEN: Dark Fall II - This was made 2 years later so it's now in 800x600!!! It's by one dude but I dunno, splurge on some pixels!! It was 2004 not 1994! Okay this one involves time travel? And you still do a lot of reading diaries but now there's also PDAs and gadgets and NPCs that you can (vaguely) communicate with. The puzzles basically come down to "write down a code from one room and use it in another room" like most games of this sub-genre.

BEATEN: Scratches - Hmm well now we're in 1024x768, so we're getting warmer!! Apparently the Dark Fall guy assisted on this one? It sometimes feels like it hits the same beats as the Dark Fall game. It also has some cheesy jump scares that flop because they're CGI and animated very slowly (Five Nights @ Freddy's doesn't have this problem). Like Dark Fall, there's letters and journals to read!! I'm pretty sure all 4 games that I played had the same loving "newspaper under door to retrieve key from other side of door" puzzle. This story plays out more like a murder mystery but then there's also a curse?? I dunno I stopped caring but I did finish it.

BEATEN: Nikopol - This one renders all the way up to 1600x1200, and it has smooth panorama view and even has shader support, but wow is this a bad game and a hilariously dumb story. I played this out just to see how much dumber the story got. Anubis and Horus fight over oil by enlisting humans, and it's set in a blade runner world. Also you can die in this game and it's almost always timed puzzles which is the worst. The wooorrrrssstt.

Playing with walkthroughs made these games go by super quick so I might knock out a couple more of the more mediocre games in my library (Runaway, Broken Sword 3, Ankh).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Puzzle Bots - this game is not very good but it also was only an hour long so it was an easy check off the checklist

BEATEN: XCOM the Bureau - People way undersold this game, it's fun and it's got great art direction. Play it on easy!! Your squad is stupid as gently caress and on easy you can just vaguely direct them and then ignore them and blast 1950s aliens.

ADDED: EYE Divine Cybermancy, Primordia, Tex Murphy: Overseer, Magrunner, Thief: Deadly Shadows

ON DECK: Dead Space 2, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Child of Light, Night of the Rabbit, The Raven, The Last Remnant

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

More games ground into dust

BEATEN: Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag - Excellent game, goofy story, even goofier metastory. Now it's time to play the Ezio ones.

BEATEN: Primordia - Pretty cool adventure game, although I wish these style of adventure games would start being made in higher resolutions. I know it's 'retro' but it makes it very difficult to find inventory items.

BEATEN: Tex Murphy Overseer - I remember years ago reading about how Overseer was a stark contrast to the other games, but, uhhh it really wasn't. It was the same goofy rear end Tex Murphy, with weird mutant people (aka actors in ridiculous makeup), Michael York as a handicapped evil bad guy who challenges Tex to high stakes virtual reality chess, and some of the intentionally hammiest acting you'll ever see. JOE "SOULTAKER" ESTEVEZ IS IN THIS GAME.

BEATEN: Picross e1 - And now I'm done done done the Picross e series. Very mediocre all around, when's the next one? I just need picross. I need it

BEATEN: Max Payne 3 - Felt like getting back on the bicycle again. Rockstar did this series justice, this is as authentic of a sequel as a completely different company can make of someone else's IP. It's no longer noir, yeah, but otherwise, it was like the series never stopped.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: The Cat Lady - Interesting, captivating adventure game about a suicide victim that is returned to life to dispense justice on wicked people. Strange but effective art style, very graphic, very dark and bleak. Very unique.

BEATEN: Magrunner - Decent puzzle game that borrows its presentation style from Portal (things go to hell quickly and the narrative completely breaks), only the central gimmick here is magnetizing platforms and cubes. I don't mind spoiling this because you need to know going in -- Cthulhu is involved.

BEATEN: Bookworm Deluxe - I don't know if this game can actually be beaten beaten but I did get some ludicrous rank while playing and that's good enough for me.

And now.. another Badventure Marathon:

BEATEN: Serena - lovely free Myst-esque game on Steam where you click on the same objects over and over and their descriptions change and you keep doing this until the game ends about 30 minutes later. Bad.

BEATEN: Runaway: A Road Adventure - Easily the worst adventure game I've ever played. The cutscenes and animations are loving amazingly ugly, watch an LP sometime.

BEATEN: Al Emmo & The Lost Dutchman's Mine - Offensively bad in a lot of ways. Someone designed a game inspired by Leisure Suit Larry and Freddy Pharkas without understanding the point of Leisure Suit Larry and Freddy Pharkas. Somehow this is not as bad as Runaway because the puzzles at least for the most part make some sort of adventure-logical sense.

BEATEN: Cognition Ep. 1 - After playing the last two games, Cognition almost feels like a classic. I mean, it's not, it's a mediocre game, but that's a huge jump up. Problem with Cognition, aside from the constant crashes, is it flubs the execution on a lot of neat ideas. You have visions, you can gently caress with people's memories, you can touch objects and see flashbacks, but this game manages to make all of those ideas somewhat lame somehow. A better developer would make a really awesome game with these ideas.

BEATEN: Wallace & Gromit Ep. 2 - Wallace and Gromit is Telltale's most visually pleasing series and most creatively stagnant one. I do consider it their worst series, but it was very playable compared to some of the other games I played today. The re-use is really bad in W&G though, it's almost as bad as the first season of Sam & Max.

UPCOMING: Enslaved, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Assassin's Creed II, Gray Matter, Valiant Hearts

FUTURE BADVENTURE GAMES: Ankh 2, Ankh 3, Bone: The Great Cow Race, Broken Sword 3, The Dark Eye, Jack Keane 2, Lilly Looking Through, Wallace & Gromit Ep 3, Wallace & Gromit Ep 4, The Whispered World

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Even more games completed this weekend:

BEATEN: Defender's Quest - Very solid TD game, the best feature being the 4X fast-forward button. A couple of the classes felt, I dunno, unnecessary? There are only maybe 4 classes that you really need to stack the board with.

BEATEN: Escape Goat - Had it for a while, went back to it knowing it was short, and it was short, but solid. Not the best puzzle platformer but decent enough. I'll give EG2 a look this winter.

BEATEN: Nightmares From the Deep: Siren's Call - This was apparently a second game in the series? I dunno, I don't know who plays HOGs for the story. The game systems in this were alright. The adventure game elements seemed pretty silly to be honest. Just amounted to a lot of backtracking.

BEATEN: FEAR Extraction Point - So Steam (and Steam Completionist) count the FEAR DLC as separate games, which means I do too. It's more FEAR, it's more blasting fools with the shotgun through office buildings, only now you also do it in the subway and a hospital. The story for this expansion seemed pretty non-existent.

BEATEN: Lilly Looking Through - Seems like a perfectly adequate game if you like Samorost-type games. The animation is charming, it's a little lethargic. Ultimately Samorost games are not really my cup of tea, but if they're yours, you'll like this game. Note that it's extremely short (2 hours, to be exact).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: To the Moon - Mediocre RPG Maker game that is cheaply emotional. Its tileset feels somewhat thematically inappropriate, perhaps anachronistic. The characterization is kind of spotty and the characters make weird hand-waved decisions. I didn't get it, I guess. I like story games, but this one didn't resonate with me.

BEATEN TO A PULP: Zeno Clash - In my top 10 of games played since the summer sale. I've had it forever but I forgot why I bought it so long ago. Didn't take but a few minutes before I remembered why I fell in love with the demo. It's just ridiculous fun to beat the poo poo out of these weird Sid'n'Marty Kroft people. And it's sweetly short, with each level only lasting about 3-4 minutes, just the way I like it.

BEATEN: Dead Space 2 - Ten times better than the first. It is identical in feel and in spirit to the original, but with much more varied locations, objectives, and sequences. Human contact actually is kind of nice (though kept sparingly, which was the right call). Disappointed that you didn't actually get to use all your ridiculous weapons against human soldiers, just in terms of climax (I'm not for having human enemies in general like in DS3, just for the final chapters here). Zero-G control is way better as well.

BEATEN: Assassin's Creed II - So, it was okay. It was not the greatest Creed. I'm sure it's better than the first, which I did not play. It could've been a lot better. I really liked the Villa stuff, and some of the missions. Game was full of glitches though, and the guard AI was flat out bad. Controls felt a lot clunkier compared to IV.

BEATEN: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood - A little bit better, but so far Black Flag is still tops. The AI isn't any better, and in some of the final missions, guards were popping-in right in front of or behind me, screwing up my Full Sync challenges. The gently caress was that about. I liked being able to renovate Rome. Disappointed by the small role of Leo. The Desmond levels were actually okay. Controls were only somewhat refined (seemed like grabbing only wanted to work half the time though). ACII was a B- and this is a B.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Gray Matter - Perfectly average adventure game. Has a couple of interesting ideas (magic tricks you can use to manipulate people for example), kind of lame story, has some amenities (like letting you know there's nothing more to do in a specific area, for example, or showing every hotspot). The cutscenes are your typical terrible adventure game cutscenes, this time with an After Effects flavor. A couple of them are just weird, like the professor smelling the shampoo and his brain starts frying and suddenly he's sniffing his wife's hair.

BEATEN: FEAR Perseus Mandate - The weaker of the two FEAR expansion packs. It's still FEAR, so the gunplay is still GREAT, but the horrors are really forced this time since you're not even the normal FEAR protagonist. How many times can the same story be retold anyway, it's not like it's a new perspective or anything. Anyway, bullet time shotgun fun.

Bad game marathon:

BEATEN: Xotic - Absolutely awful unfun "arcade" shooter, if your idea of "arcade" is the kind of fake arcade game you would see in an episode of CSI. It's a score-attack game where you try to rack up combos by shooting bead-looking targets and collecting gems, but they also throw enemies in for no reason, and also every weapon feels terrible terrible terrible.

BEATEN: Bone the Great Cow Race - Telltale's first adaption so I can kind of give them a pass on how mediocre it is, but it is mediocre. The quests are mostly talking at people, doing one thing with one item, and talking to them again. Some "puzzles" are literally just talking to one person and talking to another person. Just not very good.

BEATEN: Wallace & Gromit in "Muzzled" - Telltale's sleepiest series. Still looks great, still plays boring. All the characters Telltale invented for the series feel like boring, stuffy tropes. The re-use is pretty bad too, on par with the first Sam & Max season.

ONGOING: Mars War Logs, Afterfall Insanity (you can't stop me), Assassin's Creed Revelations, Legend of Grimrock, Shadowrun Returns

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Wallace & Gromit in "The Bogey Man" - The weakest Telltale series lands with a thud. The first two acts are honestly not that bad as far as mid-era Telltale goes, but the third act is such a ridiculously contrived excuse to not take the game to a new location (the game of golf is played in Wallace's neighboorhood streets rather than on an actual course) that the tedium is born anew. They really couldn't have just designed a golf course? You just have grass and trees!! You can make it in a random terrain generator!! drat!!

BEATEN: Mars War Logs - Jank time :getin: Mars War Logs is actually pretty fun, the combat is not too bad, you level up very rapidly, decent skill trees, very small environments so running around doing quests doesn't take forever, and you're never in one area for very long. I like short games and this one ran maybe 4-5 hrs.

BEATEN: Afterfall Insanity - Not quite as fun, but even jankier, and even more ridiculous. Has a couple of plot twists that are so dumb they have to be witnessed first-hand. The game is Dead Space's handicapped little brother, the Tiny Tim of Dead Spaces, with an aquarium tank full of second-language English 'charm' and voice acting. Once you start this game even if you don't like it you will feel obligated to finish it, just to see how dumb it gets.

BEATEN: Shadowrun Returns - I really don't like tactics RPGs but this one clicked with me for whatever reason. Maybe because it was very short, or because combat was sparsely sprinkled across the story so it had that proper D&D campaign feel. I'll have to try Dragonbutt or whatever the DLC is called.

BEATEN: Assassin's Creed Revelations - It has some improvements, obviously it's a half step down from Brotherhood, but none of the Ezio games match up to Black Flag. The art style in this game was just weird, and it felt kind of drab at times. You go from one giant drab brown-palette city to a small drab brown-palette cave city. The fast travel was mercifully unlocked from the start, and the parachute and ziplines are nice amenities, but I still think these games hurt themselves by having TOO LARGE of open worlds with not enough to do in them. I wished Constantinople was the size of the cave city, to be honest.

ONGOING: Dead Island, and I'm not sure what else is next. I'm considering Chronicles of Riddick despite the TAGES DRM. Enslaved is on deck. I will see if I can get my controller actually working with Binary Domain.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

An entire week without a new post in here!! What the gently caress!!

BEATEN: Chronicles of Riddick Escape From Butcher Bay - Talked about this a lot in the Steam thread but one of the most gorgeous games to come from 10 years ago. And it plays great too. Beat people up, blast em, sneak around. Do sidequests. And be an idiot badass with Vin Diesel's incredible, incredible, incredible voice acting.

BEATEN: Borderlands 2 - Uhhhhmmmmmmmmm I mean I beat it. I guess I did that. When they do Borderlands 3 (and I don't mean the Pre-Sequel) they really need to actually fix some poo poo or I'm not going to bother.

BEATEN: Jazzpunk - If Stanley Parable built a game around a narrative playground, Jazzpunk is an easter egg playground. Every easter egg you've ever encountered in any other type of game, is the type of result they want you to search for here. Hidden games (WEDDING QAKE), weird sequences, intentionally pointless sidequests. If something can be interacted with, INTERACT WITH IT. A LOT.

BEATEN: The Room - Awesome, but short, puzzle game. Looks dramatically better than it did on iOS. You'll complete it in one setting but you'll feel really smart as you do. It's satisfying as gently caress to figure out every little component of these larger puzzle boxes. Hopefully the sequel comes to Steam soon.

BEATEN: Penny Arcade Episode 4 - Another solid Zeboyd RPG with a terrible no good very bad Penny Arcade candy shell. A completely impenetrable story at this point. I can only hope Zeboyd's next game is something, ANYTHING else.

BEATEN: Home - Hmm, it wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. The ending kind of allows you to almost write the ending yourself, in a way. I'll need to play it again because I missed a few things here or there.

ONGOING: Dead Island, Deadly Premonition, Enslaved, The Last Remnant, Knock Knock, Amnesia Pigs

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Amnesia A Machine For Pigs - Uh so I knew this was a bad game going in but I didn't know the story was THIS idiotic. Did they ever even explain what the machine did?? Why were they turning people into pigmen?? It seems like they had three different ideas for stories and forgot which one they were doing multiple times. There's a point in the game where pigmen are terrorizing a city and it's like.. am I playing an Amnesia game?? I mean what is this poo poo??

BEATEN: Knock Knock - This is weird to talk about because like Yodzilla says, the game is actually straightforward but not only does the game not hold your hand but it actually intentionally will mislead or lie to you about the game's rules at times. Which I guess is Ice Pick Lodge's thing. I did not get the good ending because apparently a sanity meter appears halfway through the game and you have to beat the game within a time limit, or else you get the bad ending and your only choice is to start over all the way from the beginning. I just looked the good ending up on Youtube, whatever.

BEATEN: Master Reboot - Disappointing first person adventure about diving into memories. Ether One did it way better. A cool aesthetic in screenshots translates to a relatively low budget execution in motion. I would pass on this if you see it on sale. Buy Ether One.

BEATEN: Detective Grimoire - We'll probably never have Phoenix Wright on Steam, but Grimoire is almost identical to the Investigation portions of the Phoenix Wright games. You walk from location to location, talking to witnesses, presenting clues to them, presenting character profiles to them, and putting them on the spot on occasion. There are also some Layton-esque puzzles that are all pretty easy because it's probably an all-ages game (despite being about solving a murder). Cute, (very) short game to get on sale.

ONGOING: Dead Island, Deadly Premonition, Enslaved, The Last Remnant, The Room Two, Albedo Eyes From Outer Space, Brutal Legend

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Okay I had a post typed up and somehow lost it so I will say I beat Albedo Eyes From Outer Space, Transistor and Deadly Premonition which put me at 50% Beaten on SteamCompletionist so here are the games I beat over the last 5 months to get there:

quote:

Afterfall Insanity
Albedo Eyes From Outer Space
Alpha Protocol
Al Emmo
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs
Arkham Origins
rear end Creed II
rear end Creed Brotherhood
rear end Creed Revelations
rear end Creed IV: Black Flag
Battleblock Theater
Bioshock Infinite
Bone Ep 2
Bookworm Deluxe
Borderlands 2
Botanicula
Broken Age
Brothers Tale of Two Sons
Bulletstorm
Call of Juarez Gunslinger
Chronicles of Riddick
Chronology
Cognition
Dark Fall I
Dark Fall II
Dead Space
Deadlight
Deadly Premonition
Detective Case & Clown Bot
Defender's Quest
Detective Grimoire
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Deus Ex: The Fall
Dishonored
Escape Goat
Ether One
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
FEAR
FEAR Extraction Point
FEAR Perseus Mandate
Finding Teddy
Five Nights at Freddy's
Full Bore
Gunpoint
Gone Home
Goodbye Deponia
Gray Matter
Hard Reset
Hitman: Absolution
Home
Jazzpunk
Knock Knock
Left 4 Dead
Lilly Looking Through
Little Inferno
LOVE+
Marlow Briggs
Mars War Logs
Master Reboot
Max Payne 3
Murdered: Soul Suspect
Nightmares From the Deep
Nikopol
Outlast
Only If
PA Episode 4
Papers Please
Papo & Yo
Prince of Persia 08
Puzzle Bots
RAGE
Red Faction: Armageddon
Remember Me
Runaway: A Road Adventure
Scratches
Serena
Shadowrun Returns
Shovel Knight
Story About My Uncle
Strider
Super House of Dead Ninjas
Teslagrad
Testament of Sherlock Holmes
The Bureau: XCOM
The Cat Lady
The Darkness
The Expendabros
The Fall
The Inner World
The Room
The Swapper
Thi4f
Tiny Barbarian DX
To The Moon
Tomb Raider
Transistor
Walking Dead S2
Wallace & Gromit Ep 2
Wallace & Gromit Ep 3
Wallace & Gromit Ep 4
Wolf Among Us
Zeno Clash

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fart of Presto posted:

It might only be one level in each act but it was enough for me to stop playing right away. Until then it was really charming and had fun puzzles.
It's not often I enjoy platformers but this one had potential right up until the timer started :(
You aren't missing much, the charm wears off when you realize every zone feels the same as every other zone. Since the mapping is super tile/grid-based it feels like every level is made in the same editor that comes with the game which ends up leading to a bland sameness that builds up and up and up. I don't know how I even completed it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fewer games beaten nowadays cause I'm chipping away at the longer games.

BEATEN: The Room Two - Excellent followup to the Room (currently only on mobile). You do all the same things, examining intricate boxes, flipping switches, finding hidden buttons, rotating dials, looking at invisible alien ink with your lens, but now there are additional props to explore like model ships, treasure chests, workspaces, etc. Instead of solving puzzles within the same room you are transported between differently themed rooms with their own little narrative.

BEATEN: Resident Evil 4 - EH HEH HEH, THANK YOU. EH HEH HEH, THANK YOU. WHADDA YA SELLEN? EH HEH HEH, THANK YOU

BEATEN: Tesla Effect - Like all Tex Murphy games, the final chapters are disappointingly dry (aside from an incredibly goofy-awesome ending FMV with bad greenscreen running (my favorite!!!)), but the first 2/3rds are true to form for the series and considering the small budget they had from the Kickstarter, they did the best job they could. Hopefully they'll be able to make more games, because they seem to leave the door open for it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's been a while!!

BEATEN: The Novelist - I like story games okay?? You play a ghost in a house who influences this lovely deadbeat writer dad into choosing between 3 different outcomes each day, one that benefits the dad, one that benefits the mom, or one that benefits their kid. If you zap through everyone's memories and find all the notes/letters, you can also make a second 'compromise' choice that leaves one party SLIGHTLY happy. There's no way to placate everyone, and for my playthrough, I just let the lovely dad's writing career tank further and further because gently caress you, lovely writer dad. Spend some time with your family.

BEATEN: Betrayer - Another story game, but this one has some bow & arrow combat (and really slow-loading pistols). You traipse around in a beautiful but bleak monochrome world, exploring vacated colonies from pre-America, talking to ghosts, finding their crime scenes, getting clues, asking other ghosts, and allowing them to let go and move on. It's somewhat low budget and has really bad cartoony sound effects for no reason. Also in order to find clues you have to use audio clues which might drive you up a wall if you can't deal with it.

BEATEN: The Last Remnant - Definitely a top 10 RPG, for me, despite the fact that it requires a manual. You head coach teams of RPG fighters into battle, watching as they try to execute your playcalls to success. Sometimes you call a bad play, and they get eviscerated. Sometimes you're coaching the New York Jets, and there's no playcall that can save you, they're just the Jets. You hosed up. Well, you and your GM, which is also yourself.

BEATEN: Ghostbusters: The Video Game - An average game elevated by its license. The gameplay loop is not really that fun but the world is fun, the story is silly, all the original actors are present (although Winston's is the only one who seems to really give full effort into his performance) and it feels like a legit Ghostbusters sequel.

BEATEN: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - Bought it today, started it today, finished it today. Which tells you: a) how good it was, b) how short it was (4 hours). It does have flaws (the lack of handholding is great but not when you have to pixel hunt for items), but it's absolutely gorgeous, and you'll want to take a ton of screenshots in-game. The story's typical video game MEGATWIST is not even that crappy! It made some sense!!

ONGOING: Paper Sorcerer, Child of Light, Legend of Grimrock

UP NEXT: Assassin's Creed Liberation, and...... THE CONSOLE BACKLOG BEGINS :getin: Parappa the Rapper 2, Attack of the Friday Monsters, Ni No Kuni

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

The helmet shot sound effect is glorious you shut your mouth.

What did you think of the end boss? I thought it was goddamn terrible and I have no idea how it would be possible on some of the harder difficulties.
I pulled it off. The thing is, you're supposed to wrap up every investigation, talk to every ghost, convince them to move on, etc. I think the more you do the less difficult the final encounter is. I had a glitch where the bell was not attachable in one region which prevented me from doing this, but I also had super powerful weapons at that point and could take down the skull/deerskull enemies in 3 quick arrows. It did help to use a tree as cover though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: The Dream Machine Ch. 1-4 - Pretty solid adventure game where you have to enter people's dreams to save them. Most of the puzzles made sense OUTSIDE of the dreams. Inside the dreams some of the puzzles require dream logic that feels very random and will leave you using every inventory item with every hotspot until something works.

BEATEN: Law & Order Legacies - Telltale made this before The Walking Dead, so there's no Your Choices Matter, but it is a very faithful recreation of the TV show, right down to the 'ripped from the headlines' finale episode. The soundalikes are not very close to the original actors but it doesn't matter. Considering the material, Telltale did a very good job, story-wise. Most of their storytelling is so... plain, that I didn't think they'd be able to handle the twists and turns of a procedural. Just bear in mind if you buy this game that most of the gameplay involves cutscenes and then essentially being quizzed on whether people are answering truthfully or not based on past testimony/interrogation/evidence. The game offers a complete transcript for every scene which you'll be checking, a LOT.

BEATEN: Attack of the Friday Monsters - Cute little walking-sim for the 3DS. Kids develop friendships in a town where the monster sequences from sentai shows are filmed. Every quest is considered an 'episode' and sometimes you need to be in the right place at the right time to complete them. There is a weird card game you play against the other kids that allows you to boss them around. Great music as well. A nice little game.

BEATEN: Ni No Kuni - Studio Ghibli + Level 5 = unbelievable art direction, slightly shallow gameplay. I think L5 has done the action/turn-based hybrid gameplay better in other titles, but it's hard to be upset about a game with this much love put into it. They threw a lot of ideas at the wall and some of them stick, some of them don't.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Final Fantasy XIII - Uhh I have no excuses. I didn't even like the combat. I don't know what to say here. I'm sorry.

BEATEN: Suikoden 1 - Compared to FF13, this was like a fuckin toll house cookie. Brisk, fast combat, a shitload of recruitable characters, an upgradable castle, all of that I'm into. Can't wait to play the sequel.

BEATEN: 999 - Keeps you guessing until the end, and then the end, and then the end, and then the actual end. The final supernatural elements is where the plot kind of goes a little off the rails but, otherwise it's fun and the bad endings are just as entertaining. Apparently thinking your brother died gives you ravenous insatiable bloodlust.

BEATEN: Blackwell Epiphany - Pretty cool finale to the series although to be honest I felt like the ending of the game was a forced manufactured way of ending the series.

BEATEN: Heavy Rain - Uhh the game was fine until the plot twist undid all the work they had done up until that point. Was that just a random dart they threw at the wall to determine who the killer was? The story makes no sense in retrospect. What a dumb ending.

BEATEN: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - Perhaps a cheat because I only defeated Mom but technically it counts because I got credits and all. But there's still plenty more to do.

NOW PLAYING: Magicians & Looters, Agonizing over the Steam Sale, SMT Devil Summoner 1, Trauma Center 2

UP NEXT: Sin & Punishment: Star Successor, Breath of Fire IV, Wild Arms, Trails in the Sky, Fract OSC

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Don't have a ton to say about these games but I made some progress in the past week to outbalance the Steam sale:

BEATEN: Binding of Isaac Rebirth (technically)
BEATEN: Hector Badge of Courage Ep 1
BEATEN: Magicians & Looters - Excellent Metroidvania with slightly ugly art
BEATEN: Octodad Dadliest Catch
BEATEN: Abyss Odyssey (on the third run?? is that normal??)

On the console side:

BEATEN: Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 (DS)
BEATEN: Parasite Eve (PS1)
BEATEN: SMT Devil Summoner (PS2)

Added: Rex Rocket, Call of Cthulhu, Roundabout, Analogue: A Hate Story, Bully, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, MGR Revengeance, Kairo, Iron Fisticle, TRI: Of Friendship and Madness, Vagrant Story (PS1), Alundra (PS1)

Ongoing: Suikoden II, Picross e5, Super Panda Adventures, Kentucky Route Zero Acts II-III, Hector Badge of Courage Ep 2-3, Trauma Center New Blood (Wii)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Super Panda Adventures - Ugly but extremely solid Metroidvania. Feels like a long lost Apogee game (looks like one too). Fast combat, good upgrade paths, hidden collectables that make you super beastly.
BEATEN: Rex Rocket - Competent game but not as solid as the above. The first Megamanvania, with spike traps, disappearing platforms, lots of bosses, decent music, and tight platforming. Difficulty curve needlessly spikes after getting the jetpack, not sure why they did that, but I still beat the game.
BEATEN: Hexcells - No logic puzzle game can beat Square Logic on Steam, but Hexcells is the 2nd best. Plays somewhere inbetween Minesweeper and Picross.
BEATEN: Hexcells Plus - More puzzles, I had some issues with this one because it felt like I needed to guess more often than I should have to. I dunno what logical gap I was not leaping that the game expected from me.
BEATEN: Thirty Flights of Loving - Another game in the Gravity Bone series, which means, extremely short (10-15min) and extremely stylized. Probably only worth a buck at most, to experience it once. Just bein' honest.
BEATEN: Picross e5 - I'm out of logic puzzles on 3DS noooo!! Luckily SquareLogic is on iPad :getin:
BEATEN: Suikoden II - Better than the first in some ways and worse in others. Not Top 5 RPGs Ever like some claim. Battle system unfucked with, solid sequel amenities, story seemed to treat war atrocities a little too... Saturday morning cartoony. And in the end a character that played a passive and active role in such atrocities gets away scot-free and you run off together. Fast travel still given to you WAY TOO LATE in the game, in my opinion. I dunno why jRPGs do this, give it to me upfront!!

ADDED: Magical Starsign, Rhythm Heaven, Again, Spectrobes: Origins, Jake Hunter, Legaia 2, Nostalgia

NOW PLAYING: Uncharted: Drake's Bullet Sponge Fest, SquareLogic (challenge puzzles only), Hector Badge of Carnage (Episode 2), Kentucky Route Zero (Act II)

STEAM TRACKER:
Games Beaten: 268 (50.3%)
Played/Playing: 123 (23.1%)
Unplayed: 43 (8.1%)
Nulled: 98 (18.4%)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 20, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

saucerman posted:

May I ask how you are able to play through/beat so many games so quickly? Some of the games are not exactly short, too.
Am I just slow?
Just to give some hour counts of recent games:

Super Panda Adventures - 8hr
Rex Rocket - 6hr
Hexcells - 6hr
Hexcells Plus - 18hr (I think i left this one running by mistake, probably closer to the first game's time)
Thirty Flights of Loving - 31min (very short game)
Picross e5 - infinity hours, played it before going to sleep most nights, now that goes to Everyday Square Logic (which i completed all the challenge puzzles of so I guess that's "beaten" so to speak)
Suikoden II - 30hr
Hector Badge of Courage Ep 1 - 2hr
Magicians & Looters - 5hr
Octodad Dadliest Catch - 4hr
Abyss Odyssey - 4hr

That's what I've done since (and during) the winter sale. I completed a lot more games over the summer compared to now, but I've been playing long-rear end JRPGs a lot lately which has been killing my ability to dash through my backlog. But that's okay. I just don't have the spare time now that I did during the holidays (and way less than the summer). So I'm playing whatever right now. Mostly on console at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Uncharted 1 - A bit of a mess of a game. If I had to compare it to anything, I'd choose Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. This is not a harmony of chocolate and peanut butter. Combat and platforming shouldn't mix, keep them on separate sides of the dance floor. Very poorly balanced there. Enemies that have perfect accuracy and too much HP. Poorly coordinated waves of enemies as you're moving through a room. Bleh.

BEATEN: Uncharted 2 - Well this is way loving better. You can run&gun in this game, as well as mash the melee if you get into 1 on 1 encounters. I don't give a poo poo about Drake, another generic Nolan North character, but I did end up liking Elena in this series. The set pieces are grand as has been hyped, and most importantly, no crossing of the streams: The platforming chapters are about platforming, and the action chapters are a bunch of set pieces with thin platforming stringing them together. The balance is on point.

BEATEN: Everyday Genius SquareLogic - Okay this isn't COMPLETED because it would take me ten lifetimes to do it (or at least an hour a night over a couple of months), but I solved all of the challenge puzzles and unlocked every region in the game.

NOW PLAYING: Again, Jake Hunter, Kentucky Route Zero (in no rush on this one), ah poo poo you know what here's everything I've started on but not finished: Hector Badge of Courage (Episode 2), Iron Fisticle, Child of Light, Brutal Legend, Dead Island, Enslaved, Legend of Grimrock, Assassin's Creed Liberation, Far Cry 2, Shank 2, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Adventures of Shuggy, Mass Effect 2, Sleeping Dogs, Valiant Hearts, World of Goo, Skyborn, Teleglitch, Vertical Drop Heroes, Binary Domain, SMT: Nocturne, Tales of Symphonia, Wild Arms, Grandia, Breath of Fire IV, Trauma Center New Blood, Dark Cloud 2, Etrian Odyssey 4, Final Fantasy X-2, Wario Land Shake It, Xenoblade, Super Paper Mario. I don't intend on nulling ANY of these, but I also don't intend on coming back to any of these for a while. I list them only because at some point I might make a new post and suddenly DING one of them is beaten, because I decided I felt like finishing one of them. I have an interest in playing each and every game-- well maybe not Mass Effect 2 but that's another story-- but part of the backlog quest is experiencing new fun poo poo, and I have a lot still to get to. Speaking of:

UNPLAYED AND UPCOMING: Hatoful Boyfriend, Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, TRI of Friendship and Madness, Kairo, Shadowrun Dragonfall, Roundabout, Analog a Hate Story, Hate+, Bully, Eidolon, MIND: Path to Thalamus, Year Walk, Call of Cthulhu, Lovely Planet, Magical Starsign, Infinite Undiscovery, Nostalgia, Spectrobes Origins, Legaia 2, Star Ocean 3, Sin & Punishment Star Successor, Trails in the Sky, Night of the Rabbit, Dark Fall 3, Sanitarium, Miasmata, Fract OSC, Double Dragon Neon, Jurassic Park the Game (lol), Rhythm Heaven, Vagrant Story, Alundra

Considering I only beat 3 games since the last update, it's gonna take a while, and yeah I actually do work and poo poo, not a ton of free time, but I could probably get through a lot of this list by the next Steam Summer Sale.