Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
I'm in on this, I've got 236 according to steamcalculator. Haven't taken the time to see which I've beaten. I've got a lot of games I bought just to have easy access to that I've played hundreds of times like Quake and Doom so I'm not concerned with playing through those again but I've got plenty of stuff to dig through that I really should.
That said, I just finished up both Penny Arcade games in the last week and really enjoyed them in spite of not really liking the comics. Got nearly 16 hours of play for three bucks which seems worthwhile to me. Not sure where to go next, though. I've started but never finished Jolly Rover, Recettear, Pirates!, Puzzle Agent, Rush and Nimbus. There's also Numen...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
I chose the random.org route and it decided on Return to Castle Wolfenstein for me. I've played it a little bit in the past but never beaten it. Should be a pretty entertaining time. I remember it being really loving difficult, though. Anything I should know before I start it up?

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
Couple hours into RTCW now. Aside from all the crashing and the bullshit stealth level where if you are viewed by people from a mile away the level is instantly over I'm enjoying myself. I hated that trend during that era where every game had to have a stealth level like that. It's also a bit difficult getting used to having to actually save for myself instead of relying on checkpoints and autosaves every five seconds. Kind of interesting to think about how those features have become so ubiquitous during the last 10 years or so of gaming.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
Got irritated and cheated through the last part of RTCW just to see what happens. I'm still gonna count it, though. I still got about six hours of play into it so I feel like I got my money's worth since it was part of the id pack. On to Majesty: Gold edition now!

Also, hate to see the thread die off so soon, but that looks like it might happen.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

Mr. Saturday posted:

It'll probably be RTCW then unless something else catches my fancy. I've always loved id's games, and I've played through a bit of it. I can't remember why I stopped...I think it was the second level where you have to infiltrate the base without being detected. That seemed a little needlessly difficult, but I can always give it another go. Nazi-killing's one of those good standbys that doesn't get old for me.

If you get stuck on that level, just find a cheat and skip past it. It's just a poorly designed level and is completely out of place and you won't feel fulfilled in actually getting past it. That's what I did and I feel no shame.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

PhancyPants posted:

Skip the tutorial though. Go nuts, build workers, get bombers, burn the planet.

For real, just play the game and dick around. Set it to one of the lower difficulties and just climb the tech tree. If you're not hooked by the first time you steamroll over another civ with tanks while they're only using dudes in loincloths and trying to stab your tanks with copper swords or whatever, then it's probably not your kind of game. I'm loving terrible at the games but I still enjoy playing each new iteration.

hogswallower fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 23, 2011

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

ManxomeBromide posted:

Thus, up next shall Space Giraffe. I used to be a fair hand at Tempest, so I should be able to rock its logical negation.

Just for the record, if you go into Space Giraffe expecting Tempest, you're going to be like "what the gently caress is this game" and even if you don't go in expecting Tempest you'll still say that. It's a pretty unique game with a pretty bizarre set of rules. I personally really enjoy it, though.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
I haven't posted in a while but when I last did it was to say I was starting up Majesty Gold. I had a hard time getting into it and the next day I got a great deal on Civ V, which I've put in about 38 hours on so I can technically count it as "beaten" to my mind. I'll probably keep coming back from time to time, though. I really enjoy the game.

Been working on Mount and Blade: Warband, which will probably occupy me for at least the rest of the month. I had to restart today because the faction I was aligning myself with was at war with everyone and I couldn't recruit an army because all the villages were looted, but I'm still totally into it. Loved the first, this one's even better! 13 hours in so far.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Tried Shadowgrounds, needs some tinkering to run at the correct resolution, so I skipped to Shadowgrounds: Survivor. It was pretty fun.

Probably a good idea. I just revisited both games and the original is buggy as hell and not nearly as fun as Survivor in a lot of ways. Plus the placement of the checkpoints in the original is pretty ridiculous. Some of those levels are loving long.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
You dudes trying to play Serious Sam singleplayer are insane, in my opinion. I can't imagine trying to play it without a few friends and some beers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

americanzero4128 posted:

Yeah I know it probably won't ever come to pc but I would love it if rdr did. So if anyone knows of open world western games for the pc please let me know!

Gun is about all that comes to mind, but it is really really far from actually being open ended.