Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

hogswallower posted:

I chose the random.org route and it decided on Return to Castle Wolfenstein for me. I've played it a little bit in the past but never beaten it. Should be a pretty entertaining time. I remember it being really loving difficult, though. Anything I should know before I start it up?

The quicksave button is your friend. Quicksave whenever anyone is not shooting at you and you have 70+ health.

I probably belong in this thread too, but I have supershitloads of college work to be doing and am (slowly) working my way through my backlog (Dragon Age mostly at the moment, goddamn is this game time-consuming) so I'll just lurk :)

beef express fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

I finally finished up with Dragon Age. Some parts of it I found a real slog (the whole underground cave bit dragged on so long) but it was a pretty decent game overall. Some of the battles are insanely difficult though, I've not played a game that I saw the "Reload Last Save" button quite so much since Super Meat Boy.

Next up I'm trying Dead Space. Got to say that this game left the worst first impression with me. I had a controller plugged in but wanted to use mouse and keyboard, however there's no option to choose one or the other in the menu. I thought "what the hell" and carried on using mouse and keys but the game assumed I wanted to use the controller and changed all the tutorial prompts to controller ones. I had to quit out, disable my controller and reload the game, then sit through the intro again. I go back through the tutorial and when I get to the stasis field bit, the tutorial starts spewing controller buttons again. So I go to the controller options to find out what the key for stasis is and its not listed :(

I've apparently played for 2 hours and I'm still at that door. I'm going to write out the controls on a piece of paper before trying it again.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

This is maybe too broad a question for this thread, but I've been trying to get into my ridiculous list of RTS games and have found a big stumbling block, in that I seem to suck badly at them and end up losing really early in the games I've tried. I am only really familiar with old RTS games like Age of Empires 2 or Dune 2 and the amount of stuff the modern games expect you to do seems overwhelming.

I just tried C&C3: Red Alert for the first time (on EASY mode), which I understand is pretty noob-friendly, and during the second campaign mission I got destroyed utterly in about three seconds because a scripted ambush happened that I didn't have enough troops to retaliate from.

I have had similar problems with Company of Heroes in that even using cover and special abilities I find it really hard to keep up with what is going on over the battlefield, and my guys all die in a messy explosion of units. Is there any relatively newbie-friendly RTS that has a gradual learning curve anyone could recommend so I can learn this stuff?

Edit: Forgot to list what I have: CoH, Freedom Force, Dawn of War, C&C3, SupCom 2, Dawn of War 2, Stronghold (kicked my rear end).

beef express fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Mar 6, 2011

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The gates are bullshit, but you only need to close the ones near major towns, the others keep respawning iirc.