Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Welcome to the first step.

:confused: So what is this?

This is, more or less, a support thread for those who keep buying games on Steam's Digital Distribution website (or other sites if you do that kind of thing), but never play them.

Honestly, it's not our fault! OK, well, it is. We keep buying games, say "I'll get around to it at some point", and never do. This is where we rectify that problem.

:confused: Why not use the regular Steam thread for this?

Think of it this way. If you're a horrible alcoholic and you decide to quit drinking, do you go down to the bar and ask for a glass of soda? No! You go to AA meetings and start a 12 step plan. It's the same thing with this thread. Though I don't want to consider this an AA thread for Steam game buyers, wherein instead of encouraging us to buy games, we're encouraging each other to finish them.

:confused: I only have 25 games and I've only played a few...

Sure, come join us! Frankly, it's not so much how many games you have, as it is how many games you haven't finished. If you think 25 games is a lot and only having played 3 is too little, we'll support you.

:v: lol you spent $3000 on games and you've never finishe...

I don't not expect this, however I kindly request you gently caress off. Most of us didn't spend that much. Most of these games were probably bought during Sales. 81% off of Railworks DLC, how can I lose?!

:confused: Are we barred from entering the Steam thread?

No, though I would recommend that you don't go in there. I can't stop you from going in, especially since it's also a source of tech support. Also discouraged is the buying of more games, however, again, can't stop you. I know, personally, that I'll probably end up buying Duke Nukem Forever and Mass Effect 3 when they come out.

:confused: Is this an anti-Steam/GOG/Digital Distributor thread?

Absolutely not. We just want to play through and finish our collections, nothing more.

:confused: So where do we start?

Anywhere you want. I, originally, planned on starting alphabetically. This would, as was pointed out in the Steam thread, get quite boring and annoying. I can't tell you how to start. Perhaps use an RNG?

:confused: Can we play more than one game at a time?

Sure, go for it, but just be aware that it will probably make you complete games slower. Some would recommend playing more than one so you don't get burned out. If you want to play multiple games at a time, I'd recommend a maximum of 2, that way if you get bored of one game, you have another game to fall back on. Anything more than 2 is probably going to be road to disaster.

:confused: What next?

What I'd like to encourage is perhaps a status report of what game you're playing. Screenshots are encouraged, however do remember forum rules about spoilers and nudity, so spoiler and NWS warnings are highly encouraged.

:confused: Are we expected to do nothing but play games until we're completed?

Good heavens no.

:confused: What about Multiplayer Games or games that are repetitive that have no end?

I won't be tracking games that are strictly multiplayer or games that have no end as part of the games that need to be completed. If you've played them once, that'll do. Games like Altitude, Audiosurf, TF2, CS:S, L4D/2, MMOs, etc... are hard to complete if they have no end. As long as you've played them once, that will do.

For games like Torchlight, where there is a main story, but is diabloesque, as long as the main play-through or main storyline has been completed, that'll count as being completed.

At least, that's the plan so far. If you have any suggestions for this, I'll be happy to add some.

:v: This isn't much of an OP...

I know that, it's more or less a work in progress. What's more important is that we start working through our collections.

:v: No it's no :fuckoff:

If anyone has any suggestions to add to the OP, I'll gladly accept it.

Migishu fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
:siren:LIST UPDATED AS OF 11 MAY:siren:

:siren:Currently Playing:siren:

I'm going to try to keep this updated as much as possible, however I highly encourage everyone who has a BackLoggery account to updated it and post it in here so it's always, constantly, updated. When you have created it, post the link to your Backloggery account in the thread and I'll add you to the list below (sometime)

:eng101: Choosing a game
Go to https://www.random.org roll against the number of games you have, whatever number comes up, choose that game from your Steam (or personal) list. Best way to do it.

Alternately, you can use http://randomsteamgame.com/

Or you can go alphabetically.

I, personally, wouldn't go with choosing your game. This can lead you to having a larger quantity of games you have on your list that you don't "feel like playing". Things that come in packs that you wouldn't usually play. If you can get through them, then all the power to you.

:siren: Hint about the way the Backloggery sig dividers work :siren:

Whenever you're playing around with your Backloggery account, just remember, the last game you edited or added will appear on your list. If you've, say, just added your 200+ games collection to your list, click edit on the game you're currently playing, then click save. That game will now appear on your BL sig divider.

WTF I don't want to have to manually enter every game from Steam, I have over 100 games!

Looks like ToxicFrog was nice enough to created a program to import everything over:

ToxicFrog posted:

:siren: Steam2Backloggery update! :siren:

Get it here as usual. Run bin/steam2backloggery.exe (linux/OSX users: lua steam2backloggery.lua - requires lfs and luasocket).

Unlike previous versions, windows users do not need Lua for Windows installed to use the .exe version. This is especially good because some Telltale games (including the Sam & Max episodes) will crash if it's installed.

Fixes:
  • libbl.lua:303 crash fixed

Changes:
  • "unplayed" status supported
  • "unplayed" is now the default status
  • Lua for Windows dependency removed - there is now a stand-alone "steam2backloggery.exe" in the "bin/" directory that should work for any windows user (there's also a categories.exe in there)

Known issues:
  • Compilations are not supported (it'll skip them with a warning message). Support will arrive when I can be arsed to upgrade the scraper to handle the assbackwards way they display compilations in the game list (or when backloggery gets a proper API, ha ha)
  • The windows native EXEs are generated with a new tool which is still relatively untested; when reporting problems, make sure to specify whether you're running the .exe or the .lua, so I can distinguish problems with the tool from problems with steam2backloggery itself

How do I customize my Backloggery page?

Zedd has a small tutorial of how he accomplished his magnificent Backloggery page:

Zedd posted:

I made something to clarify where everything is, the old design was more user friendly then the current version:

My Design: as reference. (clicky)

Where to find poo poo:

So far we currently have:

Aafter

abiogenesis

ACPaco

AesirKnight

Alucard

americanzero4128

Atherny

Awcko

Azruelli

blackhydra866

Bruteman

Cerepol

Chief Savage Man

Chinook

ChrisAsmadi

Colon V

Cubemario

Daktar

Deadlink

Devil Wears Wings

dflanny

doctorfrog

DOUBLE CLICK HERE

Drunk Tomato

Eleeleth

Eh! Frank

EightDeer

fatpat268

Faerie Fortune

Fearian

Geop

Grawl

HappiestBatman

happynoodle

Hemish

Hob_Gadling

homeless snail

iastudent

JumpyMonky

jvempire

Kikkoman

KingCute

KFCB

Legend of Voltron

Little Ampton

lokk

LordAndrew

ManxomeBromide

Master_Odin

mekkanare

mfcrocker

Migishu

Mmann

Morter

Mr. Met

Mr Right

Nevitt

nickhimself

Purple D. Link

quiggy

Ragequit:

ReadMyMind

Red_Fred

Rhontos

RightClickSaveAs

rizuhbull

Robzilla

saberwulf

Saoshyant

Serval

Shachi

SixOhSix

SmokinDan

Soral

Spincut

Sporkles

Substandard

Sun Is Tangging

TemplarNeo

therealjon_

thegloaming

Themage

Thewittyname:

this catte

tokyosexwale

Tortolia

ToxicFrog

Tsurupettan

Turada

VisAbsoluta

Vizrt

Vrikkian

Wezlar

Xik

Zat

Zedd

Migishu fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 28, 2013

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hello, my name is Migishu, and I'm a Steamaholic

It's been 1 month since my last purchase, where I purchased the NWN2 collection.

I have played through approx 13 of my 254 games to date. I have an additional 30 or so multiplayer/repetative games.

I have a nasty habit of buying games that look interesting or that I think that I will play in the future, and of course I've never done so.

What game am I going to play? Well, I've chosen a completely unbiased way of doing this. I'm rolling my current number of Steam games against an RNG.

<Migishu> .roll d254
<catteproject> Migishu: 1 (d254=1)

Well poo poo. That makes my first game AvP Classic 2000. Fantastic. Lucky for me I have 1/2 of my collection downloaded (long story short, Canadian Internet UBB scare)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Grawl posted:

If you want I can give you admin to my old backlog group I made and you can use that.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonbackloggroup

edit: I'm currently working on a non-steam game (Zelda: Ocarina of Time), but I'm either going to finish Darksiders or Devil May Cry 4 next.

That sounds cool. We can be each others nag partners.

Ularg posted:

Can we also list console games we've bought along with a bunch of steam titles and need to finish?

Sure, why not. We're all here to help each other. Chose Steam for the thread title as it was the one that most of us would have a shitload of games for, at least, in my opinion. Whatever. Console games are welcome.

fatpat268 posted:

I've actually have been playing through quite a bit and have slowed down my purchases (well, my current financial situation helps with that). I've been using backloggery.com to keep track of my backlog, and that motivates me pretty well.

It'd be great if there was some sort of import feature where we could import our Steam list. I've had an account for a while but only added a few games because, well, hosed if I'm going to add every single game on the list. Would take forever.

Still, could just add the current game I'm playing and work through that.

It does seem that there's an RSS feed listing there too. Perhaps we could use that to our advantage? Perhaps signature bars of everyone could be put into the second post?

Vier posted:

Ohhh how do I add custom game categorys?

Right click game, set category.

This is my current setup:

Complete: Played through at least once
Complete - Mastered: Games I've played to death and pretty much know almost everything, also includes games I've got 100% achievements on.
Incomplete: Games I have downloaded that haven't finished yet.
Neverending: Games like Altitude, Audiosurf, and MMOs.
Neverending - Not Installed: As above, not installed
Not Installed: Games I haven't downloaded
Fail Pile: Worst of the Worst go here. Right now it's just holding my duplicates of Civ IV that they haven't fixed yet.

Migishu fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 6, 2011

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Welp, I just started playing AvPC2k, and I already feel like I'm going to vomit. This game is so disorientating. I haven't even finished the first level on Aliens yet.

This is going to be a long road...

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've updated the second post with a list of games everyone's playing. I may have missed some, and I'll try to keep it regularly updated.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Any other short game recommendations from my backlog?

Age of Wonders, Chronicles of Riddick, Just Cause 2, Monkey Island 2, The Witcher.

They're all fantastic games (I haven't had experince with Riddick or Witcher, but I've heard absolutely wonderful things about this)

I just finished adding all my games to my backloggery account. I have a long way to go...

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Psychonauts is an amazing game (except for the last level :argh: ). Why haven't you played it yet?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Games list has been updated.

I haven't played much over the past week, or at all. I have been focused on finding a new place to live, which I have. After I sign the lease (tomorrow) and move in, I'll be playing a lot more.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
1. Dear god you bought, and played through, Eternity's Child

quote:

EVE Online: Incursion
996 hrs on record

I think you've come to the right place.

As for game recommendations, can't go wrong with the Monkey Island series. Both the remakes and ToMI

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Updated the games list again. Won't be updated for another week or so since I'm moving and won't have access to the Internet on my computer (hooray for unlimited access on my kindle)

Gonna try to finish a few games in my downtime.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
poo poo's been updated. Sorry if I missed anyone as I still have no internet.

At least it's given me a chance to finish some games I've had. I started on Metro 2033 (which I'm loving atm) and Monkey Island 2, alongside my original game listed (AvP2k) which I haven't touched. Not really feeling the love with it.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Been a while since I last posted, unfortunately I haven't really had the chance to play much. Been feeling run down and sickly for the past 6 weeks or so.

I've modified my categories on Steam to reflect which games I'm currently focused on. I've only bought 2 or 3 more games since I made the thread, so I'm slowing down. One of those was my 3 focus games (Portal 2, the others 2 being DNF and Deus Ex 3)

I started playing Plants vs Zombis on and off. Metro 2033 I'm stuck at the library. AvP 2k I'm just not feeling like playing it, so I might abandon it for the time being.

I've updated the second page. I'm sorry if I skipped anyone. I'm also going to look for a semi-decent replacement for the Backloggery since signups are still down. There is RaptR, but I'm not sure of the whole social engineering feeling behind it.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I haven't had a chance to update the second post recently, I'll set some time to do it tomorrow.

Also, it's probably been mentioned, but Backloggery registrations are open again. I'd like to just have that listed in there if possible.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
PRAISE BE UNTO THE MEEK

or whatever

Anyway, I do apologize for not keeping the OP updated, however rough days at work just made me want to relax a bit. Now that work has become quieter, I'll try to keep the OP updated once a week.

Anyway, changes: I will only be accepting Backloggery or Steam profiles in the OP. I won't be keeping track of what game everyone is playing, that's what the Backloggery is for. As for this, and as a bit of housekeeping, anyone who hasn't provided a Backloggery or Steam profile link by the end of August will removed from the list in the OP

I've gone ahead and converted all "links" provided into sig divider tags that are provided by the Backloggery site, so it looks all pretty and such in the OP. If any of them are showing blank, or showing just a Username, it means they haven't added any "active" games on their profile.

I have also updated the OP with a new header image (stolen from Reddit, but nonetheless relevant), the Backloggery profile customization that Zedd provided, and ToxicFrog's Steam > Backloggery conversion script.

If there's anything I've missed, or anyones profile I've missed, please let me know.

And just to make people sure:

:siren:Anyone who hasn't provided a Backloggery or Steam profile link by the end of August will removed from the list in the OP:siren:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

Here is the download, and here is the main github page. You will also need Lua for Windows to run it. (Migishu, I'd appreciate it if you could replace the link in the OP with these - the old script is entirely replaced by this.)

Done, and updated up to so far.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The hosts datacenter is having network issues. Should be back up soon enough.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hemish posted:

I put 187 Steam games on Backloggery and it only shows 154 Unfinished, Beaten and Completed while Steam tells me I have 236 games. I may remember playing a game when I get to one. May remove some of them I don't like when I get to them.

Steam counts DLC as games I believe. Some scripts will tell you that you have less games than Steam tells you because of this.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm going through and updating right now.

I would've done it earlier, but I've been busy... with... things... (Deus Ex HR omfg such a great game)\

e: All profiles have been updated up to now

:siren:IF YOUR NAME IS ON THE LIST IN THE SECOND POST BUT YOU HAVE NOT PROVIDED ME WITH A BACKLOGGERY ACCOUNT (or steam profile), YOU HAVE ONE WEEK TO PROVIDE ME WITH IT BEFORE YOUR NAME IS REMOVED:siren:

Sure, I'll add you later, but...

Migishu fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 29, 2011

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I need to update the second post, I'll get around to it soon.

Finished Deus Ex HR. Amazing game, lovely ending.

Gonna do it again on easy to do a silent run and get 100%

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I haven't had time to play any games recently. The only thing I've done is add to my collection. Rest assured, I will get through them one day.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So I finally did something that I've been meaning to do for the past 6 months.

That being, updating the second post.

Sorry for the delay in that, but hey, I got some free time now (yay insomnia).

I haven't had much chance to play games over the past 6 months, thanks to work. I took a week off last year which I played through SR3. Other than that, I haven't done much in the way of playing games.

However, I also haven't increased my game collection by that much. I've maybe bought 10 games (plus various Indie Bundles) in the past 6 months. If anything, I'm finally seeing that anything I'd buy would just get thrown on the pile.

Hopefully I'll get back into the game playing mood soon. I have so many games I want to play...

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

Migishu, it'd be great if you could update the OP by removing the link to and mention of lua for windows, since s2bl no longer requires it. The download link hasn't changed.

DONE (just by copy/pasting your post and replacing the one in the OP but done nonetheless)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Geop and rizuhbull have been added.

I haven't had much time recently for games, but I'm slowly catching up on my backlog of other poo poo I have to do, so that's something, right?

Right?

Hopefully will have some game time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Updated front page.

I haven't felt like playing many games up until recently. Then ME3, SSX, Prototype 2, and Diablo 3 came along, as well as the Vita.

So recently I've finished ME3, Hot Shots Golf World Invitational (unlocked all chars), and mastered Prototype 2 (collected all achievements) and Motostorm RC (all achievements).

My backlog, however, has not been touched. I'm going to get to it, I swear.

I swear :(