Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
That's a pretty big potato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I've been told that the locals call it the Big Poo, although I can't be certain about why.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

elgarbo posted:

In lieu of any actual decent photographs by myself, enjoy this image shot by wife of me emulating a gangster in front of the almighty Big Potato of Robertson, NSW.

gently caress yes

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Using a half broken Leica Mini at a roller disco was a fun experience. I developed this in my sink and I am not good at developing film please dont yell at me

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

elgarbo posted:

In lieu of any actual decent photographs by myself, enjoy this image shot by wife of me emulating a gangster in front of the almighty Big Potato of Robertson, NSW.

This is really cool dogge, don't even trip.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

nerdrum posted:

Using a half broken Leica Mini at a roller disco was a fun experience. I developed this in my sink and I am not good at developing film please dont yell at me

This actually looks pretty good mane. If you developed this in your sink you should probably keep up with this stuff bc you are already good at the hardest (technical) part

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I just picked up both a MInolta Freedom Zoom 90c and 90EX QD today; got them both for free. Does anybody know if they're decent cameras?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Meaty Ore posted:

I just picked up both a MInolta Freedom Zoom 90c and 90EX QD today; got them both for free. Does anybody know if they're decent cameras?

For free I'd just be happy if they function. I wouldn't do much zooming because man they look slow as hell on the long end.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Adding to the 'I just bought' chat - anyone have experience with the Nikon Action Touch? Picked up a BGN quality copy on KEH yesterday as a birthday present to myself.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hi liter posted:

Adding to the 'I just bought' chat - anyone have experience with the Nikon Action Touch? Picked up a BGN quality copy on KEH yesterday as a birthday present to myself.

A friend still owns one and he loves it, but the focus dial thing on top takes some getting used to.

As underwater film cameras go it's probably one of the best. I think it's only meant for like swimming pool depth but for goofing around it's pretty fun. As standard P&S cameras go I've never heard complaints.

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

You always seem to have a good eye for black and white architectural compositions, but I like this one especially.

Anyway, my friend asked me for a 'cheap film camera' recommendation. I rattled off the usual suspects as far as SLRs go (ME super, etc), but I think this person's shooting style and general steeze would indicate a compact point & shoot style camera. Of course, it's easy to find out which compact p&s's are the most popular/best, but those tend to be expensive as hell and I'm sure my friend, who's not exactly Japan camera hunter, would have some trouble appreciating why they should spend $500 to buy into the *iconic legacy* of the GR, erc. or whatever.

A few steps down from the pinnacle, and you have good options like the XA2 or L35AF. My friend could be goaded into springing for one of those, but I'm curious if there aren't some truly 'cheap and cheerful' p&s cameras out there; cameras that don't suck, but generally go for $60 or less. Any recommendations? I'm thinking everything that has a zoom lens is going to be fairly poo poo, but this person is pretty much just an iPhone photographer right now, so a zoom might be appreciated, if it wasn't too slow.

It's amazing to me that a product like the stylus epic has now become so popular that it costs more than $200. I know it's supposed to have a great lens, but a sharp compact normal-wide 2.8 isn't exactly a unicorn. Is it really so much better than, say, the Canon sure shot supreme, that it really is worth 20 times price?

... that's not to say I wouldn't want one. And I especially like the C/Y T* cameras.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 5, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I have the stylus epic zoom and i've been very happy with it, those should be going for a ton less than the fixed length ones.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

SMERSH Mouth posted:

A few steps down from the pinnacle, and you have good options like the XA2 or L35AF. My friend could be goaded into springing for one of those, but I'm curious if there aren't some truly 'cheap and cheerful' p&s cameras out there; cameras that don't suck, but generally go for $60 or less. Any recommendations?

I think the original Stylus (not epic) sells for a lot less.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
Couple shots from my first roll of film shot through a $2.99 L35AF2. Slight cropping, otherwise untouched from the scanner.

Father O'Blivion fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 5, 2016

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
if you're paying $200+ for an epic that isn't completely dead stock new-in-box with manual you're a crazy person. they're still going for ~$100 on ebay

that being said it's film P&S photography. buy a zoom or a non-epic or really any of the myriad of decent cameras and shoot 15 rolls of film to make sure that your new cool camera from 2002 doesn't become a paperweight after you buy it and realize having little to no control kinda sucks.

IM DAY DAY IRL fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 5, 2016

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

XA2 and L35AF are both good choices. I'd probably consider some of the slightly older Olympus rangefinders too, like the RC or DC. You can get those for dirt cheap and they have great lenses.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

on the subject of olympus xa

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 19, 2016

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
XAs rule so goddamn hard

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 19, 2016

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I bought a Ricoh GR1s, the lcd on top is pretty much done, but otherwise it works great and I love it.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Oak St.

Middleburg

Finally getting around to scanning some of my backlog from my XA

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I dig this :cheers:

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.
Untitled

Untitled

stoked on this xa-2

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

they're cool but why leave the border

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm a little sick of my XA/XA2's various problems. If I were willing to spend a fair amount of money on a point and shoot (I dunno, up to $300?), what should I buy? GR1?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Awkward Davies posted:

I'm a little sick of my XA/XA2's various problems. If I were willing to spend a fair amount of money on a point and shoot (I dunno, up to $300?), what should I buy? GR1?

GR1's are closer to $400-500. Olympus Mju might be worth checking out, the ones with the 35mm prime lens are basically a newer XA.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Awkward Davies posted:

Yashica T4?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Karl Barks posted:

GR1's are closer to $400-500. Olympus Mju might be worth checking out, the ones with the 35mm prime lens are basically a newer XA.

Oof :(

Shellman posted:

Yashica T4?

Hm thats a good point, I'll look into it.

Here, have a picture from a totally lame roll.

??? by spike mccue, on Flickr

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Awkward Davies posted:

Hm thats a good point, I'll look into it.

I don't scan much from mine here but I love the camera, it is small enough to tuck in a jacket pocket and you get the cool waist level finder SUPERSCOPE. :synpa:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

AK by spike mccue, on Flickr

Selfie in a green bathroom by spike mccue, on Flickr

Legs by spike mccue, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
sorry

lol I thought the roll was color by spike mccue, on Flickr

it me 2016 by spike mccue, on Flickr

maybe time for an update honey by spike mccue, on Flickr

just a hemmed in feeling by spike mccue, on Flickr

Obviously I've regressed back to newbie-photographer-stupid-titles

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Does anybody know if you can set the ISO on the Fuji Klasse or is it just on the Klasse S/W?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yo i dig all of these

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Anyone know of a camera that can do relatively close macro? Been trying to take food shots for my chef friend but my Mju-ii focuses closest at like 20" and obviously my rangefinders are useless here. Would prefer a foot or so if possible.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Olympus XA4? It has a 28mm lens that focuses to 12 inches. But its only zone focusing, and people keep wanting stupid money for them.

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah as film P&S cameras go you're gonna be pretty limited these days. The XA4 is all I can think of offhand that's fairly common.

• Locked thread