Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
How did the XA not make the OP again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

spf3million posted:

How did the XA not make the OP again?

as if it needs any more of a recommendation! Also, I already put the Olympus Stylus (which has built in flash) in there AND the Olympus RC now :colbert:

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!
I was in the local camera store today and they had 4 Leica Minilux in stock. One was brand new in the box. Prices ranged from $400 for the new one and $175 for one with a malfunctioning flash. I was very very tempted.

There were several XA2 as well. Not sure the price on those because I couldn't take my eyes off the Minilux.

OH yeah, and a couple Rollei 35. They did look sexy but the Minilux was pure sex.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Nannypea posted:

I was in the local camera store today and they had 4 Leica Minilux in stock. One was brand new in the box. Prices ranged from $400 for the new one and $175 for one with a malfunctioning flash. I was very very tempted.

There were several XA2 as well. Not sure the price on those because I couldn't take my eyes off the Minilux.

OH yeah, and a couple Rollei 35. They did look sexy but the Minilux was pure sex.

jump on it. we can be Minilux bros. Go against the goon grain!!

crosspost from PAD, two new pix from my Konica Auto S3:

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
Lomo 800 film (it was a gift) with my Olympus Mju2 (stylus epic)

ZoukOut Performer by Nestor's Blurrylife, on Flickr

MRT BackArt by Nestor's Blurrylife, on Flickr

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Where do you find such interesting people? I'm surrounded by a bunch of country folks.

dorkasaurus_rex, please don't encourage me. It would mean I'd have to sell the G11.

Anybody want a G11?

EDIT:
What are your feelings on the Leica Mini-Zoom. There's one on the local Craig's List for $49

Nannypea fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 4, 2011

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Canon G-III 17! A wildly popular Canon camera from the 80s, should be incredibly easy to find, has a good meter (a spot meter, I believe) and should only run you about $20 on eBay. $40 max. f/1.7 lens!! 40mm

I think all the QL17s I've seen ended up closer to $40, the Canonet 19 is in the $20 range.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Getting me even more stoked on my wife's Konica Auto S3. What flash did you use? What flash should I get? I know absolute poo poo about real film, and jumped on an Auto S3 on ebay to buy for her...but I know old cameras don't work with new hotshoe flashes...right? So my SB-600 (nikon) wouldn't quite work correct?

Help me help my wife take awesome pictures like you.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Nannypea posted:

Where do you find such interesting people? I'm surrounded by a bunch of country folks.

dorkasaurus_rex, please don't encourage me. It would mean I'd have to sell the G11.

Anybody want a G11?

EDIT:
What are your feelings on the Leica Mini-Zoom. There's one on the local Craig's List for $49

Unfortunately I live in NYC so my advice is basically "move to a city". Also this was during NYFW. Then again there are plenty of photo people here who take boring pictures of boring people every day so I don't know what to say. Go outside your comfort zone, bub. I kind of want a G11 but I'd rather buy a new film camera first.

RizieN posted:

Getting me even more stoked on my wife's Konica Auto S3. What flash did you use? What flash should I get? I know absolute poo poo about real film, and jumped on an Auto S3 on ebay to buy for her...but I know old cameras don't work with new hotshoe flashes...right? So my SB-600 (nikon) wouldn't quite work correct?

Help me help my wife take awesome pictures like you.

I used my slightly dinged up Canon 430EX, a brand new flash. You can almost always use a new flash with old cameras, and the Konica Auto S3 meters for both flash AND ambient light (check the grain in the second picture), so it'd be a shame to use it WITHOUT a flash at night. Then again, the flash is easily 2-3x the size of the actual camera and I had to partially advance the frame just to get the winder out of the way enough to put on/remove the flash so I don't know.

I HATE old flashes. Nasty overcomplicated pieces of junk, imho.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I HATE old flashes. Nasty overcomplicated pieces of junk, imho.
Overcomplicated?!? The only thing on my old flashes is an on button and sometimes a test button; I can't image anything simpler than that.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

TheLastManStanding posted:

Overcomplicated?!? The only thing on my old flashes is an on button and sometimes a test button; I can't image anything simpler than that.

I mean like this. I just look at them and my brain falls apart. While I've grown more comfortable with my 430EX, I'm still a total noob with it and flashes in general.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

You can almost always use a new flash with old cameras, and the Konica Auto S3 meters for both flash AND ambient light (check the grain in the second picture), so it'd be a shame to use it WITHOUT a flash at night.
I just looked this up, and if I'm understanding, it uses a manually-entered guide number to couple with the ambient meter reading and the rangefinder's measured distance - is that correct? That just sounds awesome.

Oh - very impressed with the Minilux' lens so far. Now I just need to figure out how autofocus works :science:...or maybe just stop trying to put so much thought into it.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I have no idea what that means...

Are you saying I can put my SB-600 on the Auto S3, and it'll do some voodoo work measuring the ambient light and my flash's power?

Is there a site explaining this so a newb like me can figure it out?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

RizieN posted:

I have no idea what that means...

Are you saying I can put my SB-600 on the Auto S3, and it'll do some voodoo work measuring the ambient light and my flash's power?

Is there a site explaining this so a newb like me can figure it out?

No, some cameras have an extra ring where you can set the guide number of the flash. That allows the camera to choose an aperture based on the distance you focus at.

I need to give flash photography a shot sometime. I just detest the tendency of flash to give specular highlights and over-bright foregrounds. I realize this is because I suck at it.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

FasterThanLight posted:

I just looked this up, and if I'm understanding, it uses a manually-entered guide number to couple with the ambient meter reading and the rangefinder's measured distance - is that correct? That just sounds awesome.

Oh - very impressed with the Minilux' lens so far. Now I just need to figure out how autofocus works :science:...or maybe just stop trying to put so much thought into it.

happy accidents. embrace it.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Paul MaudDib posted:

I need to give flash photography a shot sometime. I just detest the tendency of flash to give specular highlights and over-bright foregrounds. I realize this is because I suck at it.

I rigged up some simple diffusers for my thrift-store flashes to get around that specular highlight problem. Got any stage lighting, theater suppliers, or A/V-photo proshops around? Any theater tech friends, perhaps? See if you can snag one of these things:

(picture from Silverbased.org)

Or here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/45189-REG/Rosco_950SBLUX0103_Roscolux_Swatchbook.html
$1.95 for a swatchbook.

I got a bunch of these things for free awhile ago and found that the sample sheets are about the same size as the front window on most flashes. They're also made to withstand very high temperatures, so they won't melt when the flash goes off. Numbers 100 and up are the diffusion gels. Seemed to work pretty well with the Heavy Frost one.

http://www.rosco.com/us/filters/roscolux.cfm#colors

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 4, 2011

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

You can almost always use a new flash with old cameras
I can confirm this, the burning smell was barely noticeable and was probably drifting in through my window, coincidentally.

New Flash Old Camera by Execudork, on Flickr

EDIT: Sorry, not about P&S. But any 35mm P&S with a hotshoe should, I think, work with your fancy flash for your DSLR.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I mean like this. I just look at them and my brain falls apart. While I've grown more comfortable with my 430EX, I'm still a total noob with it and flashes in general.

They aren't complicated, but they take a while to get used to. Most really old flashes will have a dial, slide, or chart that you read off of. For this example you would turn the dial to match your iso on top, figure out the distance to your subject on the bottom, then where it lines up is the aperture you use. It slows you down a bit since you'll have to check the chart often if you're out walking around, but generally if you are at a party taking pictures you're going to be the same distance away from people each time just based on framing. In that case you can set it once and be done with it.

Later flashes (like the one you posted) had an auto mode. For the given mode you would set your camera to the aperture that the arrow is pointing to and as long as your subject was within the range of that bar they would be properly exposed. For example: In the photo I posted if I set my camera to iso 100 at f/5.6 while in the red mode then I could take a photo of anything between 1 and 7 meters without changing settings.

grumblybear
Jul 24, 2007
(2S)-1-phenylpropan-2-amine
so, i just stumbled on a craigslist yashica t4 for $80 and it makes me so happy.

seriously though, if I lose or break it I won't have any qualms about spending whatever it takes on ebay to replace it.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

grumblybear posted:

so, i just stumbled on a craigslist yashica t4 for $80 and it makes me so happy.

seriously though, if I lose or break it I won't have any qualms about spending whatever it takes on ebay to replace it.

This man "gets it". I like your shots, link to a flickr?

grumblybear
Jul 24, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

This man "gets it". I like your shots, link to a flickr?

hey, thanks -- dug your NYFW flicks. click on the pics, they link to my flickr.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
lolscans

All from the XA2 I bought. I was an idiot an got prints instead of negatives+cd and this is my 5 minute scan effort with an epson scanner.

Untitled by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 8, 2011

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hunh. Something is up with Flickr today, or my computer, it's not uploading.

Or maybe it's just Chrome. Weird.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 8, 2011

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I see it, are you using chrome? Sometimes I'll upload something and post it on the forums, and then the images won't appear. Saw another poster say that clearing the cache fixes it, but I haven't tried yet.

Anyway, those are pretty sweet.

grumblybear
Jul 24, 2007

Awkward Davies posted:

cool rat. what city? maybe it's just the scans but a little more contrast might make him pop out from the skyline more.

just got a roll i shot a few weeks ago in my mju ii developed...

edit: just read the flickr comment, are they fo' serious?

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
Hello hello little Gursky

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

grumblybear posted:

A local building company (illegally) ditched the union guys for a construction project a few years ago and union members picketed every day until it was resolved with signs and a big inflatable rat. Not quite that big, but yes, that guy is correct.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
More XA love :allears:

I'm on my last free expired roll of K gold 200. I can't wait to be done with it so I can try out that new portra stuff.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
And some more XA love :allears:

Looking forward to the day when I own my own film scanner and no longer have to live with lovely developer scans.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

grumblybear posted:

cool rat. what city? maybe it's just the scans but a little more contrast might make him pop out from the skyline more.

just got a roll i shot a few weeks ago in my mju ii developed...

NYC. All of those pictures were taken in the same square block. There just happened to be some people protesting Marshalls across the street from school.

quote:

Inflatable rats, or union rats, are commonly used in the United States of America by protesting or striking trade unions against their employers or against nonunion contractors, serving as a sign of opposition and to call public attention to companies employing nonunion labor. Unions have been using them for years against companies that employ nonunion labor[1], and employers have filed lawsuits charging that the use of the giant inflatable rats constituted unlawful picketing, and some courts have agreed. The practice of using inflatable rats in union protests may have something to do with the usage of the word "rat" to refer to nonunion contractors.

Chuck Salter, of fastcompany.com, dates the usage of inflatable union rats to 1991, when Mike O' Connor of a Plainfield, Illinois balloon and searchlight firm made a rat due to a request from a Chicago union member. As of 2003[update], the rats ranged from 6 feet tall to 30 feet tall, but 12 feet is the most popular height due to local laws limiting the height of inflatable objects on display.[2]

The more you know!!!

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Well I guess I learned the hard way not to shoot more exposures than you have in the roll. Probably only lost like 5 shots all jammed up, but it was a test roll anyway to see what this Konica S3 is all about.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

RizieN posted:

Well I guess I learned the hard way not to shoot more exposures than you have in the roll. Probably only lost like 5 shots all jammed up, but it was a test roll anyway to see what this Konica S3 is all about.

Post scans! excited to see someone elses' shots with that camera!

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Man...the E-Bay ad said the light seal thingamajig should be fine but you might want to replace it. Well, I imagine that was a lie because nothing came out. I'll try another roll tonight and get it developed tomorrow, but I'm dropping the camera off at a repair place tomorrow to have it looked over through and through, I want this bad boy working before my vacation in San Francisco next week.

But if I get some shots tonight I'll post em tomorrow.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
So the goddamn Konica has bad water damage and the light shields are shot and its not worth 10 bucks according to the camera repair shop...So now I have to pay 15 bucks for a quote so they can document the damage and I can try to return this thing...E-Bay seller is a prick, DONT BUY FROM gsjy24187 on ebay.

gsjy24187 posted:

This is used Konica Auto S3 rangefinder. The meter works. I ran through a couple of films and it turned out good, but the cosmetics may not be good based on your standard. There is a dent on the top and a number engraved on the top plate by the previous owner. There are scratches here and there. The front glass has some marks if you look very carefully at very close distance. The light seal needs to be replaced, but I don't have the light leaks problem in my pictures. The film that I took using this camera turned out surprisingly good for me. The camera will be sold as is. There is no return, this is final sale. The battery is not included. The shipping will be 12 by USPS priority mail. International shipping will be 35 by USPS EMS. Thank you for watching.

I'm hoping because his description is false I can return it and go through e-bay, or threaten to go through ebay and wreck his 100% positive feedback and hopefully he'll just give me the money back.

Buuuuut they had a Nikkormat that was pristine for 180 so I told my wife to buy it. Because she's so drat sexy and he's sympathetic that I got ripped off he's giving us the the Nikkormat and the quote for the repair for $165.

So, if I can actually get my money back for this Konica I'll actually come out on top..generally speaking, but I doubt I will. $100 bucks down the drain...and that camera shop has a minolta Hi-Matic 7s2 for $99, I wish I knew about that place before I bought on e-bay. Whatever though...live and learn.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 10, 2011

Baish
Jul 29, 2010

Jumping on the XA2 bandwagon. It should arrive next week right before my bachelor party in New Orleans. I'm clueless about film really. What kind of film should I get?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Baish posted:

Jumping on the XA2 bandwagon. It should arrive next week right before my bachelor party in New Orleans. I'm clueless about film really. What kind of film should I get?

Color. Or black and white.

grumblybear
Jul 24, 2007
I was dropping off some film at the lab and one of the techs had just been given one of these by a customer (in black):

konica offroad, 28mm f/2.8 and what looks like pretty beastly seals and ruggedization. apparently the orange one was marketed in japan at building contractors etc for documenting work sites.

it's nowhere near pocketable but i think it would be a boss club/concert camera.

Hot Dog Day #20
May 5, 2004
:|
Being a bit of an Olympus enthusiast I picked up a Stylus Epic based on this thread. Just ran a test roll through it and I'm pretty happy with it. The lens seems a hair sharper than my XA.

Also there are some kind of odd dark spots along the edges of the developed negatives, but they don't seem to intrude on the actual photos. is my camera leaking :(

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Baish posted:

What kind of film should I get?
Probably start with some standard 400 ISO color film. Or if you want to get good stuff, I'd say try the new Porta 400 (color) or Tri-X (B&W).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I'm just shooting on some ISO 400 Kodak Gold poo poo I got from CVS, good thing too cause the first two rolls were blown out. After this though, I'm gonna try the porta.

• Locked thread