Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

RizieN posted:

Nikkormat

gently caress yeah shutter speed around the lens where it belongs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

RizieN posted:

So the goddamn Konica has bad water damage and the light shields are shot and its not worth 10 bucks according to the camera repair shop...So now I have to pay 15 bucks for a quote so they can document the damage and I can try to return this thing...E-Bay seller is a prick, DONT BUY FROM gsjy24187 on ebay.
Was the entire roll clear, or did you get frames that were completely black when looking at the negatives?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
^ The whole entire thing was whatever color the film is, dark brown and completely transparent (but still that brown color, just see through). There wasn't really any distinguishing between frames just one long strip of transparent brown.

Beastruction posted:

gently caress yeah shutter speed around the lens where it belongs.

Man I just my first shots with this thing and I loving love it. Doesn't really belong in this thread cause of the SLR, but goddamn, I'm glad I ended up with it cause I don't really dig aperture priority. And $150 with a 50mm lens is pretty good, from what I've researched.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 11, 2011

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Baish posted:

Jumping on the XA2 bandwagon. It should arrive next week right before my bachelor party in New Orleans. I'm clueless about film really. What kind of film should I get?

Fuji Superia extra 400. It's cheap.

Baish
Jul 29, 2010

quote:

spf3million, Anmitzcuaca

Thanks!

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Drunk posting from PAX East but, the XA is the most amazing camera I've ever used, God willing the exposure comes out. I was wandering about Boston, and it feels so good to use compared to a DSLR.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Drunk posting from PAX East but, the XA is the most amazing camera I've ever used, God willing the exposure comes out. I was wandering about Boston, and it feels so good to use compared to a DSLR.
I completely agree with you. I just did the unthinkable today, went on a day trip tour thingy out of Bangkok and :gasp: left my 5d2 at home! XA and s90 all the way.

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I knew I should have kept it for myself! :argh:

Of course that would have only worked if I could have gotten drunk and wandered around somewhere interesting. I wander around here drunk and I get shot at for trespassing! Oh yeah, I'm not supposed to drink either.

Have fun with the XA AIIAZNSK8ER!

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Because of this thread I wanted to find a cool looking point and shoot to play with (stop making me get things dorkroom!) and so I dug around in my partner's parent's basement and found this Olympus infinity twin, I guess it's like a 35mm tlr-like thing. Neat. It'll be perfect for taking out to parties and stuff :)

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
^^^ it doesn't sound like a TLR according to this, but two primes in one package. Nice find.

====================================

So I decided to get in on the point and shoot action too.
Being on a budget ruled out beauties like the Minilux and GR1. I did find this though...

The Fujifilm DL Supermini 28mm f3.5 (Yes, the lens is EBC)

Not as fast as many in the OP, but it's as big a TC-1 and fraction of the price(Mine was $50). Though they don't seem to be common outside of Asia, where they are branded 'TIARA'. There is also a more common zoom model.

Took it out last weekend for some fun.

FH000021 by Mhebble, on Flickr

The date stamp can be switched between time and the three major date display methods.

FH000019 by Mhebble, on Flickr

I need to remmebr to put it into redeye mode when it's dark.

Nothing good happens after 3am by Mhebble, on Flickr

The flash on this is automatically enabled when ever it's turned. Focus can be set manually to 17 pre-set distances from 0.35m to infinity via a button on the back. The timer mode can take up to three photos in a row, it has 'drop in' film loading and there is a 'panorama' switch that masks the film.

As you can tell, I'm sperging pretty hard over this camera. But it's a nice little performer and I like not having to think too hard when I use it.

Edit: Also have a review in Chinese

Daddys hot grill fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 15, 2011

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

MediumWellDone posted:

The date stamp can be switched between time and the three major date display methods.

FH000019 by Mhebble, on Flickr

I sure hope you can turn off the date stamp, I'd say it's killing this otherwise nice photo.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

Jahoodie posted:

I sure hope you can turn off the date stamp, I'd say it's killing this otherwise nice photo.

I had it on more for novelty than anything else. I agree that it is irritating.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Nice find that looks small/awesome and is apparently pretty rare. There should be a switch somewhere to turn the date stamp off.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
The manual is Japanese but pretty straight forward.
Four buttons on the back; date, focus, flash and timer. I've just hit 'date' until rear LCD displayed dashes instead of time/date. I guess I'll see if that did the trick when I get the this roll back.

After recently losing my watch it was nice having a clock on my camera :(

Also mine is the Tiara II, not sure what the difference is compared to a regular Tiara is though.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

You know, I have to say, having a little film point and shoot is more fun than I'd thought it'd be. Very convenient. And I can just get it developed wherever, like Costco, where they messed up the printing with those little lines the first time, so I got my rolls done for free. These are lovely scans of prints, not negs, by the way. edit: you can see that line in the last one there.

nonanone fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 19, 2011

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Should I buy I just bought an Olympus XA2 because you said it's awesome it was only $30 and I have almost no self-control when it comes to impulse purchases.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Ummm is it weird that I just did the exact same thing? Literally, just a second ago. So you shouldn't feel bad.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
I just found out I have a Konica C35AF2 Auto Focus 35mm 2.8
The flash is busted and the camera doesn't seem to be working... Guess my weekend will be spent fixing and testing it.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Turns out that I miss focus a lot with my XA, I'm pretty confident that it's user error though. Because the first one I got jammed on me after one roll, I'm super paranoid about the fragility of the working one I have now. I freak out a little each time I load a new roll in.

Here's a bunch that look OK web size.

xa fashion boston st paddy-1-5 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

xa fashion boston st paddy-7 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

xa fashion boston st paddy-1-4 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

This is a typical scene from PAX and a personal favorite photo from my trip.

xa fashion boston st paddy-10 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I noticed the focusing also. Messed up some pictures on my last roll because I got too close. Oops : /

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Awkward Davies posted:

I noticed the focusing also. Messed up some pictures on my last roll because I got too close. Oops : /
Yeah the MFD is kind of a bitch sometimes.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Oh man, about to pull the trigger on a Ricoh Gr 1!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Some more XA love.

CNV000038-2 by spf3million, on Flickr

lol hookers

CNV000031-2 by spf3million, on Flickr

Already Bored
Mar 5, 2004
I HAVE HIGHER ETHICAL AND MORALE VALUES. DID I MENTION I LIKE COCK
I'm after a point and shoot with a fast autofocus in low light situations.

What should I be looking at?

I'd prefer to keep the price under $250.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
I love the xa2

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Already Bored posted:

This to me means you want something with a lens around f/2.0 which means it'll be tough to keep the price that low. Did you check the cameras in the OP?

grumblybear
Jul 24, 2007
(2S)-1-phenylpropan-2-amine
i love having a camera in my hands when i spot one of those photo ops that have a lifetime measured in seconds.

Already Bored posted:

i was really obsessed with finding the fastest possible lens for my point and shoot, but i've found that a high-quality lens and a powerful flash work better for the point and shoot form factor and snapshot aesthetic (totally subjective statement).

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Found another place I won't be going back to in Manhattan: Manhattan Color Labs.

2 rolls, color, 36 exposures.

Scans and negatives: $29.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
Not going to lie, thats pretty criminal. How much does it cost for just the development? You could just buy a scanner and do them yourself, which you undoubtedly already know, but then you have to deal with dust all the time. (my cross)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Awkward Davies posted:

Found another place I won't be going back to in Manhattan: Manhattan Color Labs.

back when I didn't know what the gently caress I was doing, I had Swan Photo labs process my black and white 120 photos and make prints, expecting that it would be like when my mom and dad paid $8.99 for prints and processing from the drug store

total cost for push processing and printing two rolls: $65

now I only use them for color and scan poo poo myself. without anything extra, it's actually priced pretty reasonably

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

General Gingersnap posted:

Not going to lie, thats pretty criminal. How much does it cost for just the development? You could just buy a scanner and do them yourself, which you undoubtedly already know, but then you have to deal with dust all the time. (my cross)

Yeah a friend offered me his old one for cheap, I'd just have to fix a busted AC adaptor.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
To compound the expense, I shot a lovely rear end roll. The ones that were actually in focus and adequately exposed were boring or poorly composed. Sigh. Film is tough.

For reference:

_23_1595.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

_15_1587.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

__5_1577.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

__2_1574.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

__1_1573.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Awkward Davies posted:

Manhattan Color Labs owns, man. Don't hate. I mainly use them for 120 though.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Is anywhere local (not Wal-Mart/Sam's Club etc) going to be under $15/roll? That's around the price I was quoted both places I asked + what CVS charges for 1-hour ($9 for 24 exp w/prints, I think they just prorate up from there).

Kind of makes sense, Dwayne's is close to $15 for the first roll anyway right? (outgoing shipping + $5 + $4.50 return shipping)

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Walgreens just bumped their process only prices to $5/roll - the guys at the store near me do a good job and don't scratch my negatives, so I still go there from time to time, but I think it's about time to explore C-41 at home. I have a bulk roll of 160NC too, and most minilabs seem to get confused/nervous when I bring in reloadable cartridges.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I go to my local Ritz. I save up my rolls and have them scanned to one CD and it saves me a little money. Last time I took in two 24 exp rolls with only negatives and CD, and it was $13 done in an hour.

Sams Club was really cheap, like $5 with prints and scanning, but my store sucks at processing. They scratched my negatives on two separate occassions and scanned them all half frame once. So I quit going.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I like Costco, my local one does a good job and it's pretty cheap, like $11 for two 36 exp. (for develop and 4x6 prints) Of course, you have to already have to have a membership though.

nonanone fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 29, 2011

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

nonanone posted:

already have to have a membership though.

Being Asian gives us a passive racial ability to be a member, because your mom or auntie signs up the whole family at a time.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Being Asian gives us a passive racial ability to be a member, because your mom or auntie signs up the whole family at a time.

Apparently being half-jewish does too. My grandmom has a membership and we've got the second card or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

Is there a good wide-panoramic camera that's affordable?

I was looking at the Russian Horizon/Gorizont cameras but they are kind of pricey for what amounts to a piece of junk.

• Locked thread