Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Rednik posted:

Is there a good wide-panoramic camera that's affordable?

I was looking at the Russian Horizon/Gorizont cameras but they are kind of pricey for what amounts to a piece of junk.

The Horizon 202 seems pretty decent, but otherwise the answer to your question is "no, not really." I built my own like two years ago that worked semi-well, but I need a more elegant way of focusing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The Horizon 202 seems pretty decent, but otherwise the answer to your question is "no, not really." I built my own like two years ago that worked semi-well, but I need a more elegant way of focusing it.

Do you think it's better than the janky "Horizont" I keep seeing on Ebay from the FSU?

http://cgi.ebay.com/KMZ-Horizont-panoramic-camera-rare-/220761538205?pt=US_Vintage_Cameras&hash=item336669be9d

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Rednik posted:

Do you think it's better than the janky "Horizont" I keep seeing on Ebay from the FSU?

http://cgi.ebay.com/KMZ-Horizont-panoramic-camera-rare-/220761538205?pt=US_Vintage_Cameras&hash=item336669be9d

Yeah, the Horizont is the first/earliest version, the 202 is a more modern redesign that's more reliable and has more speeds.

edit: I haven't looked at prices in ages, but a used 202 in the USA should go for like $180-210. Lots of them get bought, used for a few rolls, and then forgotten about apparently.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

You are all horrible influences and now I've gone and ordered a Contax T2 just now. :saddowns: I can't make it stop I keep collecting stuff.

Here's some snapshots on the XA2, on ektar 100 (I think), sorry about the subpar scans

flat squirrel

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
How on earth did I overlook this thread for so long? I have a ton of these cameras and they are awesome. My favourite at the moment is the Ricoh GR1s because it give you a lot of control and information but at the same time you can use it as a simple point and shoot if you want. The tack-sharp 28mm f/2.8 lens helps too. I find that one of the biggest things is that it actually remembers the settings you set the camera to when you turn it off. Some of the cheaper cameras don't so like on the Stylus Epic, you have to disable the flash every time you turn the camera on if you don't want to use auto flash. The big downside of the GR1s is that it's noisy so you can't use it in very quiet environments.

I have a Contax T2 that I like as well because it has aperture control and the lens is delicious, but it's relatively bulky and heavy. The focal length of 35mm is also a little more universal than the GR1s' 28mm.

I like using the XA as well but I find the focusing control to be a little frustrating sometimes because of the extremely small swing arc of the focus lever. The meter only going to 800 also limits its usefulness in low light. The Stylus Epic is good as well but as mentioned earlier, it doesn't remember settings and the autofocus can be a little guessy as I've had more shots of blurry subjects with sharp backgrounds with the Stylus Epic than any other camera. Another downside is the lack of information for the user so you don't know if it has selected a slow shutter speed or not.

The 35RC is nicer to use than the XA and I like the ability to run in manual mode, but it's bulkier, needs a lens cap unlike the XA and has the same light meter limitation of ISO 800. Also on mine the rangefinder patch is kind of faint.

What I'd really love is a point and shoot with an autofocus 50mm f/1.8 or something similar but most P&S cameras seem to come with 35mm lenses and f/2.8 or slower lenses.

HPL fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 5, 2011

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
A roll full of near misses. In particular, this one:

28A_0386.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

And this one:

30A_0388.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

25A_0383.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

12A_0370.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

:D

_3A_0361.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Yashica T2 w/ 800Z:

Leica Minilux w/ 160S:

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Found this thing for 60$ at my local photo shop:

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis
You bastard. That should be 3 or 4 times as much in working condition (if not more), right? Great find.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Yea those go for 100-150 depending on the condition....I paid 100 for one in terrible cosmetic condition.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Everything works great, I'm running a test roll through it right now. It's in good cosmetic condition, there's a slight ding where the exposure counter is but other than that, I'm really stoked to have gotten it for so cheap. The shop is getting some more stuff on Thursday, I'll report back see if any goons want anything.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

A few shots from my Rollei 35

It's certainly not a perfect camera (light meter and frame counter are both inoperative), but for me the portability and reliability more than make up for these faults.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 19, 2011

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Sirkus posted:

Found this thing for 60$ at my local photo shop:

Dag yo. Good find.

As an aside, I found two good ways of finding reputable and cheap 35mm rangefinders:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=35mm+rangefinder&_sacat=See-All-Categories

just doing a search for "35mm rangefinder" on ebay brings up a lot of good poo poo, unfortunately the same is not true for "35mm point and shoot" but you can sort of use eBay's built in filters to do that.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/listings/listbycat.asp?catid=170

Goodwill's online shop of used cameras from across the US.

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god
From my old Mamiya / Sekor 1000 DTL:

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009

Ric posted:

Owns

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Scored this guy on the free section of craigslist

ZSG_0433 by kmcormick9, on Flickr

Batteries for the meter were severely corroded, so I have to get that cleaned up and find new ones and pray the meter works. Everything else works.
Even got some Pentax Super 110 lenses in the bag too.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Some snaps from my contax t2. I developed the film myself which is a first, it was surprisingly easy, thank you 8th samurai

this is a dude i work with who is kicking rad. he builds harleys from scratch in his spare time (everything except the engines), runs around with 6x9 fuji and gave me the film developing tank i used.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Earlier this month I had an opportunity to nab a Ricoh GR1 but it somehow slipped through my hands. I found one locally 200$, for a black GR1, is this a good deal?

Edit: They seem to range in the upper 300's on eBay, but those are all "buy it nows" or auctions with no actual bids on them.

Sirkus fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 26, 2011

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.
I just want a goddamn Olympus XA2 that isn't twice as expensive with shipping to Australia. (All the Ebay sales have $35 shipping. :( And something in me just doesn't want to double the price.)

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice
What's the best film option for my XA-2 to get a nice grainy, glowing result in mostly daytime urban conditions? I'm liking the look of the photos in this thread from 100 speed shot at 400 asa, I think. Can anyone comment on the advisability of using that big A11 side flash with this type of film? I don't want it to end up totally overblown or anything.

I'm just looking for a departure from 400@400, as it is mostly boring and standard looking (as in, the colors are all represented accurately).

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Wait so you're wondering what 100 speed film pushed to 400 looks like with the side flash?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

That's a pretty random request. Do you have any examples of the sort of look you're going for?

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah, that is a pretty retarded question, now that I read it again. I was only going for something so specific because this whole thread seems to be filled with the merits of the XA-2, various speed films in it, and the use of the A11 side flash.

Really, I need some educatin' on using slower speed film bumped up a few notches. That will typically allow more light to soak in and give your pictures a more glowing feel, right? I do want to avoid completely ruining the roll of film by using that big flash and blowing out everything I shoot.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dreadite posted:

Yeah, that is a pretty retarded question, now that I read it again. I was only going for something so specific because this whole thread seems to be filled with the merits of the XA-2, various speed films in it, and the use of the A11 side flash.

Really, I need some educatin' on using slower speed film bumped up a few notches. That will typically allow more light to soak in and give your pictures a more glowing feel, right? I do want to avoid completely ruining the roll of film by using that big flash and blowing out everything I shoot.

It shouldn't "glow" as that's likely bloom caused by a lovely anti-halation layer or a flare-prone lens. Overexposure will cause really high contrast - when you're out of the film's designed range, the film will tend to expose completely or not at all, and you end up (hopefully) stretching the middle tones out or (probably) with a very limited range. If you want grain in a 400 speed film go buy Tri-X or HP5, they will have plenty of it. Or, get a crappy 100 speed film like Foma (or maybe Efke?) and shoot your lens close to wide open (I don't know the XA2 program, you're on your own).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 26, 2011

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

kmcormick9 posted:

Batteries for the meter were severely corroded, so I have to get that cleaned up and find new ones and pray the meter works. Everything else works.

I have a Lynx 14e, I love the camera but I hate how quickly the zinc-air cells go bad and the lack of click-stops in the aperture ring. Does the 5000E have the battery on the back next to the viewfinder? If so, be sure to check the rangefinder still works. Sometimes the corrosion leaked around and it can do various bad things to the rangefinder.

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice

Paul MaudDib posted:

It shouldn't "glow" as that's likely bloom caused by a lovely anti-halation layer or a flare-prone lens. Overexposure will cause really high contrast - when you're out of the film's designed range, the film will tend to expose completely or not at all, and you end up (hopefully) stretching the middle tones out or (probably) with a very limited range. If you want grain in a 400 speed film go buy Tri-X or HP5, they will have plenty of it. Or, get a crappy 100 speed film like Foma (or maybe Efke?) and shoot your lens close to wide open (I don't know the XA2 program, you're on your own).

Clearly I don't know a drat thing about "film" except for that I don't particularly like how my photos look. Perhaps it was the generic kodak 400 speed I loaded into it, and the conditions in which I shot it. I seemed to get too much brightness in outdoor light settings, and too much grain in underlit scenarios (using the flash or not), and indoor lighting yielded pretty boring accurate colors.

People seem to be getting cooler results with this camera, so I'm just going to grab some different speed films, use the flash with some and not with others, dick around with the ASA settings, and see what I come up with. That's how I'm supposed to do it, right?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dreadite posted:

Clearly I don't know a drat thing about "film" except for that I don't particularly like how my photos look. Perhaps it was the generic kodak 400 speed I loaded into it, and the conditions in which I shot it. I seemed to get too much brightness in outdoor light settings, and too much grain in underlit scenarios (using the flash or not), and indoor lighting yielded pretty boring accurate colors.

People seem to be getting cooler results with this camera, so I'm just going to grab some different speed films, use the flash with some and not with others, dick around with the ASA settings, and see what I come up with. That's how I'm supposed to do it, right?

Why don't you post the photos you aren't satisfied with, and the conditions? That way we can look at them and maybe see what happened.

This is 100 speed with side flash [indoor, fairly low light]

Untitled by spikespikespike, on Flickr

This is 100 speed without [cloudy day, no direct light]

south williamsburg badass. by spikespikespike, on Flickr

This is 400 speed pushed to about 500 (I dont quite remember, but I remember it was pushed)

FH000021.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Cross posted with SAD, some home process Fuji 800z taken with the little Olympus mju-ii. Love the little thing, really nice lens on it, people are often shocked to find no LCD on the back.

Marcel ponded by mr_student, on Flickr

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Spedman posted:

Cross posted with SAD, some home process Fuji 800z taken with the little Olympus mju-ii. Love the little thing, really nice lens on it, people are often shocked to find no LCD on the back.

That's half of the fun of film cameras.

"Hey, get any good pictures?"

"Damned if I know."

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007

HPL posted:

That's half of the fun of film cameras.

"Hey, get any good pictures?"

"Damned if I know."

I wish there was a good digital camera that had no lcd screen and 24 exposures.

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!

BulimicGoat posted:

I wish there was a good digital camera that had no lcd screen and 24 exposures.

I think you get that in an older digital with a small memory card. Just break the lcd if needed.

I went out with my film camera and got to say "Sorry can't take another picture, the battery died"

And no, I haven't developed the film yet. It's sitting beside me.

Boiler
Dec 23, 2004
Shut up phone
I picked up a Canon Sure Shot WP-1 from a tiny thrift store in rural Texas, along with a Minolta 5000i and a camera bag, for the grand sum of $5.

Canon Sure Shot WP-1 by John Kratz, on Flickr

(Not my pic, hope linking to it like this is alright)

I'm pleased with it so far. It's a little bulky, I assume due to the water proofing, and the lens isn't particularly fast at f/3.5 but it is pretty wide at 32mm.

Eagle // East Austin by Craig F, on Flickr

<3 FIN // East Austin by Craig F, on Flickr

Mr Whelan // Zilker Kite Festival by Craig F, on Flickr

It's a little prone to flare, though.

"East Side" // East Austin by Craig F, on Flickr

I've just finished a roll where I actually got the camera wet, so we'll see how waterproof it is later this week. I have proved that it floats though!

Boiler
Dec 23, 2004
Shut up phone

kmcormick9 posted:

This post inspired me to do a Craiglist search of my own. There's a Yashica Electro 35 GSN for sale that I think I'll buy. I've been wanting a rangefinder for a while and these seem pretty nice.

What 110 lenses did you get?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
A few years ago I was on a vintage rangeifnder/P&S buying spree. I ended up finding an Olympus XA4 Macro at a Salvation Army for $5. I didn't like the zone focusing, so I sold it on eBay for $90+ and used the money to buy both a CAnon QL17-GIII and a Yashica Electro 35-GSN.

The Ql-17 GIII is absolutely my favorite ever walk around camera, just so much fun to use and such a solid
little camera. You shouldn't hesitate about picking one up!

This Tree Has No Place in a Graveyard by UnbreakableComb, on Flickr

Also, I cant believe no one has posted the Vivitar Ultra Wide and Slim yet! Such an awesome/fun camera, you dont even have to think about exposure, theres only one speed!

This isn't my picture, but you get the idea!

Boiler
Dec 23, 2004
Shut up phone

frogbs posted:

A few years ago I was on a vintage rangeifnder/P&S buying spree. I ended up finding an Olympus XA4 Macro at a Salvation Army for $5. I didn't like the zone focusing, so I sold it on eBay for $90+ and used the money to buy both a CAnon QL17-GIII and a Yashica Electro 35-GSN.

How's the Yashica overall? Worth getting?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Boiler posted:

How's the Yashica overall? Worth getting?

The great thing about the Electro 35-GSN is that it was primarily an aperture priority camera. This was one of the few advantages (in my mind) it had over the QL17-GIII. However, there were a few things operationally that I didn't like. I felt that the viewfinder was not as good as the Canon's, and also the body felt a little big, almost like there was wasted space inside. The QL-17 feels like a solid little brick of a camera, and theres something about that feel that the GSN just lacks. In terms of quality of photos, they both produce great, sharp results, although I found focusing to be far easier on the QL-17 GIII. I should also note that the shutter button on mine was a little wonky, so the 'over/under' exposure lights didn't go off most of the time.

However, in terms of bang-for-your-buck for 70's/80's Rangefinders, you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal than the Electro 35 or QL-17. I'd say if you prefer aperture priority, go with the Yashica.

Here's a picture of my old camera collection, i've since sold most of these:

The Arsenal by UnbreakableComb, on Flickr

Looking at this picture now, I realize how much I love the QL-17, it's such a great camera design. If someone is rich, they should pick up this rare black model on ebay (although I think its overpriced)!

frogbs fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 27, 2011

Boiler
Dec 23, 2004
Shut up phone

frogbs posted:

The great thing about the Electro 35-GSN is that it was primarily an aperture priority camera. This was one of the few advantages (in my mind) it had over the QL17-GIII. However, there were a few things operationally that I didn't like. I felt that the viewfinder was not as good as the Canon's, and also the body felt a little big, almost like there was wasted space inside. The QL-17 feels like a solid little brick of a camera, and theres something about that feel that the GSN just lacks. In terms of quality of photos, they both produce great, sharp results, although I found focusing to be far easier on the QL-17 GIII. I should also note that the shutter button on mine was a little wonky, so the 'over/under' exposure lights didn't go off most of the time.

However, in terms of bang-for-your-buck for 70's/80's Rangefinders, you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal than the Electro 35 or QL-17. I'd say if you prefer aperture priority, go with the Yashica.

Thanks for the input. I'll get the Electro 35 that I've been looking at then. I've been keeping an eye out for a QL17 or QL19 on Craigslist and the local thrift stores without any luck, but it doesn't seem the Yashica is too much of a compromise.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Just haggled my way into one of these:

For the bargain hunters in this thread, this one is a doozy. Can easily be snapped up for about $20, super sharp rear end 45mm f/1.8, hot shoe, the works. It still uses the same goofy batteries as the Konica Auto S3 There are also some sister models like the (probably) superior Hi-Matic 9 and the weird in-between Hi-Matic 11, but the 7S has weird cult status and it basically owns so far.

http://www.jwhubbers.nl/mug/HiMatic2.html

this site is really informative and has loads of good info on all the different Minolta's out there.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Just haggled my way into one of these:

For the bargain hunters in this thread, this one is a doozy. Can easily be snapped up for about $20, super sharp rear end 45mm f/1.8, hot shoe, the works. It still uses the same goofy batteries as the Konica Auto S3 There are also some sister models like the (probably) superior Hi-Matic 9 and the weird in-between Hi-Matic 11, but the 7S has weird cult status and it basically owns so far.

http://www.jwhubbers.nl/mug/HiMatic2.html

this site is really informative and has loads of good info on all the different Minolta's out there.

I managed to find my Mum's old Hi-Matic 7sII, fantastic little rangefinder. Only problem was the focusing spot being a bit dim, but thats fixed with a little bit of black tape on top of the viewing window. The lens works really well with Ilford XP2 Super:

Smoke in the woods #2 by mr_student, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

One day you'll be mine.

Messed around with one of these at a Yodobashi Camera while in Tokyo last month. ¥40,000 ... I'm definitely going to have to save.

• Locked thread