Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Ah, well.

Continually amazed by the Stylus Epic, though — shot from the other week:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I think the Yashica T4 Zoom has a pretty close MFD (19 inches?) and zooms to 70mm. It's hard to do closeup framing with anything besides an SLR, though. Oh, and a cheap T4Z is like $350.

I was bidding on a totally sick T4 Zoom that had been wired into a camouflaged plastic box with an IR motion sensor and got pretty psyched to do some candid wildlife film photography with it, but my alarm to place a final bid didn't go off and someone else got it for $42. Which is a shame, because I would have offered at least 50. For a yashica t4 zoom!!

Edit: My Stylus Infinity (which I bought at a swap meet for $20) apparently just stopped focusing about halfway through it's first roll. The sequence for making an exposure goes: press shutter button -> lens extends to correct distance for focus -> shutter fires. Mine is apparently just extending to the same middle-distance focus every time, no matter what. It's weird. There's nothing blocking the AF sensors.

I gave my XA2 to a friend, so I'm currently without a good 35mm P&S. I did pick up a Fuji medium format point and shoot, though, and it's been great.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 22, 2016

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
new job means new camera equipment. Got a Stylus Epic or under $100 on ebay, and this gives me a chance to try it against my fleet of Stylus Infinitys to see if those 2/3s of a stop makes any difference.

Hopefully I'll reach a point where my posts get less gear related, i havent had anything to develop in weeks

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Greenpoint, 2016 by spike mccue, on Flickr

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Understanding posted:

new job means new camera equipment. Got a Stylus Epic or under $100 on ebay, and this gives me a chance to try it against my fleet of Stylus Infinitys to see if those 2/3s of a stop makes any difference.

Hopefully I'll reach a point where my posts get less gear related, i havent had anything to develop in weeks

It's not just the increase in aperture, the lens is much much sharper. It rivals any boutique point and shoot: GR1v, Yashica T4, Contax T3, etc. I suspect it's due to the fourth aspherical plastic element. Disappointed that it's been catching on and tripled in price in the last few years.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Literally the only issue I have with it is how fiddly the back buttons are for flash and spot. I have some Sugru on them so they're not so flush on the body, but it still sucks not having any sort of tactile feedback so I can tell which mode I'm on without having to look down at the screen. Had this been a dial, I'm pretty sure this would be the perfect P&S.

edit: I guess exposure comp too, but hey, it is a P&S after all.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Got a GR-1 for Christmas, so I'm pretty excited about making GBS threads up this thread a bunch in the new year.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Was the XA sharper than the Stylus infinity? What about the Epic? I always thought my xa2 was pretty sharp, and was generally impressed with the acutance and detail reproduction of high contrast black & white film run through the 2's f/3.5. Some say it's sharper than the original, though.

I have a developed roll from my infinity but can't be arsed to make high-definition scans from it. Half the shots aren't even in focus.

There's an OG XA on my local CL, but I'm not sure it's the 35mm P&S I want to live with. If the Stylus Epic is sharper, I might hold out for one. Those contaxes are sexy, but my dream compact is the GR21. Too bad there are lots of better ways I could think to spend $1200.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a case they like? I'd like to protect my new Gr-1, rather than just throwing it loose in my bag.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Was the XA sharper than the Stylus infinity? What about the Epic?

I have all three. On paper the XA will be better because it has more elements in the lens, followed by the Epic, then the Infinity. I was shooting today with my Epic, and I'm a little disappointed with how slow it can be. The epic (or at least mine) needs a fraction more time between shots than I'm used to, so I take one photo, get ready to take another and miss it because it's still doing it's thing. I still want to put my Infinity and my Epic head-to-head to see if there are actually any differences, because it seems a lot of people want to puff this camera up to be hot poo poo.

It's good, but it's not an end all be all, especially since it wasn't that high-end compared to what's available at the time.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I found an Olympus Stylus Epic DLX 35mm 2.8 in it's original holster at a thrift store for $10. I don't plan on shooting film but might in the future so I took it with.

The battery was dated 2013 and totally dead. I put in a new battery and it's still got half a roll of unexposed film.

I'm going to finish the roll and see if the pictures I take come out to test the camera. Seeing as half the roll will be random found footage that will probably be junk what is the cheapest place that does developing? As I understand it most retail stores pulled their machines in the last few years. Though walgreens website says that they still develop in store if listed as having a photolab.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 31, 2016

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

my turn in the barrel posted:

I found an Olympus Stylus Epic DLX 35mm 2.8 in it's original holster at a thrift store for $10. I don't plan on shooting film but might in the future so I took it with.

The battery was dated 2013 and totally dead. I put in a new battery and it's still got half a roll of unexposed film.

I'm going to finish the roll and see if the pictures I take come out to test the camera. Seeing as half the roll will be random found footage that will probably be junk what is the cheapest place that does developing? As I understand it most retail stores pulled their machines in the last few years. Though walgreens website says that they still develop in store if listed as having a photolab.

Find your local photo shop, if not, Walgreens or whatever.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

Whelp, my second Infinty shat the bed last night, the lens was coming out with a really crunchy sound out of nowhere.

I'll probably take it apart to take a look at it. It just sucks cause it's my nicer of the two.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Going through my first few ricoh gr1 rolls.

santa monica sunset by spike mccue, on Flickr

AK thinking about livng in LA by spike mccue, on Flickr

Rainy Day LA Colors by spike mccue, on Flickr

CA Colors (Ricoh GR-1 test rolls) by spike mccue, on Flickr

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

Terminals by _oe _o_e_, on Flickr

I wish scanning didnt take so needlessly long.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Well my Stylus Infinity just rewound after 7 shots while I was on vacation and not willing to gently caress with it so I'm pretty annoyed.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

My epic did that after 8 shots on the second to last roll. It was a 36 frame roll. Was super pissed.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Can't you put it back in and shoot with the lens covered until you are past the last exposed frame?

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Helen Highwater posted:

Can't you put it back in and shoot with the lens covered until you are past the last exposed frame?

That's my plan but I didn't have a leader retriever with me on vacation so that I could reload the roll. I even brought a spare CR123 and everything.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

voodoorootbeer posted:

That's my plan but I didn't have a leader retriever with me on vacation so that I could reload the roll. I even brought a spare CR123 and everything.

Double sided tape and a piece of film or something thin.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

👻 by spike mccue, on Flickr

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I need to find where I put the photos I took on my Ricoh 35FM. I bought it for like $32 shipped off eBay and took it to Atlanta. I love the little thing and it takes the best hipster photos.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

you mean contemporary conformist photos

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
the last two posts are bad

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

ansel autisms posted:

you mean contemporary conformist photos

Carles is dead

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

carles lives on in our hearts

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib
i've gone full lomo and shot a roll of long expired color film in my dodgy Stylus Epic:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

man i am so much happier now that i got the fixed lens stylus epic

00000018 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

00000015 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

k-zed posted:

i've gone full lomo and shot a roll of long expired color film in my dodgy Stylus Epic:

Dig this a lot :cheers:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Bought an Olympus Stylus Zoom DLX and Pentax IQZoom 835 at a charity sale this weekend. Don't need them both, so assuming they both work (still haven't tested but they look brand new), which one should I keep?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mactheknife posted:

Bought an Olympus Stylus Zoom DLX and Pentax IQZoom 835 at a charity sale this weekend. Don't need them both, so assuming they both work (still haven't tested but they look brand new), which one should I keep?

The Stylus Zoom has more reach and is rain/splash proof. I have the fixed 35mm f/2.8 version now but I still use it from time to time and have always been pretty happy with it.

E: I'm assuming you mean this one. "Stylus Zoom" means quite a few similarly-named models unfortunately.

E2: If you mean the black body with the 35-70mm zoom, I know that's still splash/rain proof as well.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 13, 2017

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

These two guys here are what I picked up. Should have put this in my first post, sorry.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Honestly, I'd just keep whichever one you want. I think the only advantage the oly has is weather sealing, but lord knows what condition that's in after it's been around for so long. They both look pretty portable.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

After a cursory look up I was leaning towards the Pentax because it'll fit in a pocket easier, but wanted some other opinions just to see. Thanks!

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I have a Nikon Action Touch that I I've been shooting with for the last few months. Yesterday while changing a role of film, the camera stopped being able to wind the roll to the next frame.

When there is no film in the camera, the shutter will fire, the film counter will advance and the auto winder appears to work, but when I put in a roll of film it dies. Is this just a sign that the motor inside is toast? Or is this something which can get repaired?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hi liter posted:

I have a Nikon Action Touch that I I've been shooting with for the last few months. Yesterday while changing a role of film, the camera stopped being able to wind the roll to the next frame.

When there is no film in the camera, the shutter will fire, the film counter will advance and the auto winder appears to work, but when I put in a roll of film it dies. Is this just a sign that the motor inside is toast? Or is this something which can get repaired?

That sounds like a bad motor, yeah. I'd poke around and see if a shop near you can get a look at it, those are pretty fun cameras

E: I have no idea what they run for though

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
If it's a motor/PCB issue, you're likely better off chucking it in the trash and buying a new one, rather than getting it repaired. Cost of labor & parts (even if they were widely available, which I'm going to assume they're not) wouldn't make it feasible considering they're selling for like $70 on eBay.

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

• Locked thread