Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

RoflcopterPilot posted:

I'll just put this right here. Any suggestions?

Fuji made a disposable camera with like a (plastic) 17mm lens. They've been discontinued for years though, and re-loading it is a chore.

It's a toy camera, but the Vivitar Wide & Slim might be fun for messing around, as long as you're fine with daylight-only photography.

Fake edit: nm, that's basically the same thing as the Superheadz camera you mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis
The Superheadz ones are just differently-colored copies of the original Vivitar, right?

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

VomitOnLino posted:

Olympus ECR - Rangefinder - 1972

Joining the club here... [...]

Will report back.

And I got my first batch of pictures out of the camera.
Well it seems that there must be a stuck shutter or something. Because out of a roll of 36 images I only got 4 images back.

The rest is exposed as a soft off center white-ish blob, or not exposed at all. I guess that means that there is a stuck shutter?

I hope it doesn't relate to me applying some DIY fix to isolate the camera against stray light, as the original isolation had basically dissolved.

Thoughts?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It would help if you'd scan and post a sample, but yeah, it does sound like a shutter issue. Bad seals would manifest as blown-out areas at the top and bottom of the film. If you're concerned, you could try electrical tape over the seams in the door. Unfortunately, a stuck shutter is actually worse, seals are a wear item and easy to replace.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
If it's a leaf shutter, can you see it firing open? Try testing a slower speed.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

If it's a leaf shutter, can you see it firing open? Try testing a slower speed.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it is a leaf shutter. I thought I could hear it every time I took a shot. It's also battery powered, not the hand crank type.

Momentarily I'm work, but once I get back - I'll provide some shots of the negatives. The images that came out fine and that those didn't don't seem to follow any specific pattern and are scattered about the roll.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

One of the weird free cameras that I got recently was an Aries III rangefinder and the leaf shutter tends to gum up anytime I leave it alone for more than ten minutes between shots. It'll struggle open, fire wrong, then every shot after is fine - until I stop using it for a few minutes again.

If it's a similar problem with yours, you might be able to repair it with some lighter fluid, look up directions for freeing the blades up online.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Anyone here a Konica Big Mini owner? This thread has made me do bad things, I have a ton of 35mm point and shoots watched on eBay and I want them all.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Paul MaudDib posted:

It would help if you'd scan and post a sample, but yeah, it does sound like a shutter issue. Bad seals would manifest as blown-out areas at the top and bottom of the film. If you're concerned, you could try electrical tape over the seams in the door. Unfortunately, a stuck shutter is actually worse, seals are a wear item and easy to replace.

I hope it's not too small of a picture. I think you can already make out the problem pretty easily.
I don't have a light table so I had to get creative, heh.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Thrift shop trip report:

(camerapedia)

I found a Minolta Himatic AF2 loafin' around in a bin for six bucks last week. Seems to go for about the same price on ebay, five to twenty bucks on average... but it felt a lot more solid than most of the lame 80's plastic AF junkers in the bin, so what the hell.

Turned out to be a surprisingly decent little beast. The lens is quite sharp and that focal length makes it into an enjoyable walkaround camera.

Mom and Rosie by epomorski, on Flickr

baby goats yo

Yosaku by epomorski, on Flickr

Ma Bell by epomorski, on Flickr

(old missile testing film, grainy as hell)

Skez KFA by epomorski, on Flickr

I'm surprised that this turned out since it was handheld. The infrared autofocus seems to work well in the dark and I can't even hear the lens moving at all. Shutter makes a very weird BZZRRP sound which kinda sucks, but the ratchety thumb advance lever makes up for it... so if anyone's looking for a really damned cheap walkaround camera, this thing is pretty cool.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 16, 2011

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I found a Ricoh AF-5 at Goodwill for $13. Had batteries and the flash fired. Should I buy it?

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!

Beerios posted:

The Superheadz ones are just differently-colored copies of the original Vivitar, right?

Yeah as far as I have read and asked people who own them, that is correct.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
35mm camera inventory from that sale:

• Sears M35 Programmed (no idea what this is a rebadge of)
  • Pentax PC35AF
  • Olympus Trip AF 50 (bought earlier in the day for $5 at Goodwill; shutter counter doesn't work, so I rewound my $6.50 roll of HP5+ when it started making weird noises)

Are these any good?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Mightaswell posted:

I found a Ricoh AF-5 at Goodwill for $13. Had batteries and the flash fired. Should I buy it?

It's a solid camera, and you can never go wrong for $13, but you may want something with more complication and versatility.

atomicthumbs posted:

35mm camera inventory from that sale:

• Sears M35 Programmed (no idea what this is a rebadge of)
  • Pentax PC35AF
  • Olympus Trip AF 50 (bought earlier in the day for $5 at Goodwill; shutter counter doesn't work, so I rewound my $6.50 roll of HP5+ when it started making weird noises)

Are these any good?

The Pentax is probably the best of the bunch but still nothing special. Autofocus and pop up flash with manual winding is a really weird mix.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
Found a Yashica Mg-1 for $35 at a pawn shop yesterday. Got the meter to work through battery fuckery, I'm really excited to shoot a roll through it.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I picked up a Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim, new in the box, for less than the price of the Superheadz clone. It's just big enough to hold the roll of film and it weighs nothing. The only controls are the shutter button and the film advance knob. Fixed focus, f/22 and 1/125 shutter speed. Really the only thing you have to think about is what ISO of film to use. It is truly a toy but I've seen some impressive shots made by others so I look forward to trying it out.

(film roll is for size comparison only, I don't think it ever gets bright enough here to use ISO100 in this)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
You should probably shoot negative film through it, as negative has a wider exposure latitude than slide. See if you can find a roll of Kodak 400UC or Portra 400/800.

Anyway, thanks guys, now I have to keep my eyes open for a Vivitar UW&S and a Vivitar 2011whatever. :mad: At least they're cheap enough.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

You should probably shoot negative film through it, as negative has a wider exposure latitude than slide. See if you can find a roll of Kodak 400UC or Portra 400/800.

Anyway, thanks guys, now I have to keep my eyes open for a Vivitar UW&S and a Vivitar 2011whatever. :mad: At least they're cheap enough.

If you live in or near any large towns or small cities, it shouldn't be hard to find 'em. A quick sweep of the thrift shops around here would turn up four or five of them.

I grabbed a 99 cent Bell and Howell windup recently in case this topic came back up again... want it? I was also thinking it might be fun to mail the thing around to a bunch of folks, each person taking like two pictures and mailing it to the next in line as a group project. Wouldn't matter as much if the thing gets stolen or busted since it cost a whole dollar.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 17, 2011

thankyousorry
Sep 16, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

I just got two of the pn2011's and an Ansco pix panorama and some other cheap ansco camera for 1.50 on ebay. There have been quite a few other 'bundles' with pn2011 in them floating around there too.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

RustedChrome posted:

I picked up a Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim, new in the box, for less than the price of the Superheadz clone. It's just big enough to hold the roll of film and it weighs nothing. The only controls are the shutter button and the film advance knob. Fixed focus, f/22 and 1/125 shutter speed

I think it's actually 22mm and f/11, f/22 would be totally crazy for exposure and DOF is already huge on such a wide lens.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Yeah, 22 sounds way too high. Those kind of cameras are really meant for people who use all-purpose drugstore consumer film that emphasizes the scene lighting on the box - 100 ISO for bright sun, 200 for all purpose, 400 for cloudy, that sort of thing. F22 would kinda screw that up.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Yeah, 22 sounds way too high. Those kind of cameras are really meant for people who use all-purpose drugstore consumer film that emphasizes the scene lighting on the box - 100 ISO for bright sun, 200 for all purpose, 400 for cloudy, that sort of thing. F22 would kinda screw that up.

Yeah I just brain-farted and typed the focal length in place of the aperture.

The instructions say to use 200 or 400 film only. I have a roll of cheap 400 C41 in there now and I've been shooting when the light is decent and I see something worth snapping.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I was also thinking it might be fun to mail the thing around to a bunch of folks, each person taking like two pictures and mailing it to the next in line as a group project. Wouldn't matter as much if the thing gets stolen or busted since it cost a whole dollar.

This could be a good idea. You should make a thread for it or something!!

thankyousorry
Sep 16, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

This could be a good idea. You should make a thread for it or something!!

We have a huge star on a mountain here in Roanoke. Everyone should have a picture of it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I was also thinking it might be fun to mail the thing around to a bunch of folks, each person taking like two pictures and mailing it to the next in line as a group project.
I'm still interested in this - make a thread!

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!

ExecuDork posted:

Same. That sounds like fun.

I've been trying to find a black Ricoh 500G. I've heard they're pretty nifty and the only ones I've found have been in the $150+ range but they just look so slick :(

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

ExecuDork posted:

Hokey doke. I'll try to write a proper OP up for that by this weekend or something.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

atomicthumbs posted:

Any SF-based goons need to get to the Harvey Milk Photo Center on 50 Scott Street now. They're doing a garage sale; they're selling a ton of old 35mm P&S cameras and darkroom equipment for $1 a pound. I'll post this to a couple other relevant threads too.
Just went down there today. I figured anything super good would be picked over already, but still found a bunch to buy. I got two tanks (single and double) with 3 35mm reels and a 120 reel, a 35mm bulk loader, a tiny 4x5 easel, a huge pack of huge gels, and 35mm negative holder.

Nothing too special in the lot, but if you want reels they have truckloads. I counted 5 boxes of metal ones and 3 boxes of plastic ones. They also had safe lights, easels of every size (both fixed and adjustable), a whole box of grain finders, two boxes of bulk loaders, and some really old rusty timers.

Some notables: They have a full size enlarger in box. Don't know if it's complete but it's looked all there. The only camera left worth noting was an Olympus AFL-T, which really isn't worth noting. There were also a few boxes of contrast filters are probably worth something.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Hokey doke. I'll try to write a proper OP up for that by this weekend or something.

Totally down for this.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

RoflcopterPilot posted:

I'll just put this right here. Any suggestions?

http://microsites.lomography.com/lc-wide/
Lomography just released this thing with a 17/4.5. It's terrifyingly expensive for what it is, but way more interesting than anything else they make. Let's hope someone takes the idea and does it for cheaper...

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

breathstealer posted:

Lomography [...] terrifyingly expensive

Now there's a surprise. I should've bought more than the 3 Holgas I got on eBay 5 years ago, would've been a better investment than shares.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

breathstealer posted:

http://microsites.lomography.com/lc-wide/
Lomography just released this thing with a 17/4.5. It's terrifyingly expensive for what it is, but way more interesting than anything else they make. Let's hope someone takes the idea and does it for cheaper...

It's actually not that bad a price considering that it's a new production, ultra-wide angle aperture-priority 35mm compact camera. If a similar thing came out from someone else, it would probably be near $1000. If the lens turns out to be decent, I'd say $400 is probably on par or potentially under-valued.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
I think it's waterproof too.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

I HATE CARS posted:

Now there's a surprise. I should've bought more than the 3 Holgas I got on eBay 5 years ago, would've been a better investment than shares.

Could probably still make a killing by just buying up a bunch of crappy old Soviet plastic TLRs and then reselling them on Ebay with "L@@K! LOMO!" in the name.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Could probably still make a killing by just buying up a bunch of crappy old Soviet plastic TLRs and then reselling them on Ebay with "L@@K! LOMO!" in the name.

I used to buy Seagulls (or the equivalent, there were a number of Chinese TLR's that copied the design but used a different name) for $15 or less at the photography market when I was studying in Beijing.

I wound up giving them to photographer friends (along with a few 88 cent rolls of Lucky 100 in 120) as gifts when I got back. :shobon:

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

You jerk. The local photo store wants two hundred dollars for Seagulls. (okay maybe they're the jerks)

I wish my dad was still going on business trips to China... he got me a stack of really nice calligraphy/sumi-e brushes for cheap from one of those markets when I was in a college ink painting class, but he's changed fields since then and probably won't be going back anymore.

ScreaminKing
Feb 26, 2002

I was punched in the face. What's your excuse?

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I used to buy Seagulls (or the equivalent, there were a number of Chinese TLR's that copied the design but used a different name) for $15 or less at the photography market when I was studying in Beijing.

I wound up giving them to photographer friends (along with a few 88 cent rolls of Lucky 100 in 120) as gifts when I got back. :shobon:

Are cameras/film cheap in China? I have a friend coming to visit next month from Hong Kong, should I ask her to pick me up something?

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

I HATE CARS posted:

They don't really appreciate - Holgas are cheap on eBay, where you can buy direct from the manufacturer. But Lomography takes a massive cut for marketing.

ScreaminKing posted:

Are cameras/film cheap in China? I have a friend coming to visit next month from Hong Kong, should I ask her to pick me up something?

In Hong Kong? Not really. Film cameras are popular enough for secondhand prices to be pretty high (well above KEH), and film should be more expensive than say Freestyle or B&H. For example, the going rate for an XA is about 130 USD.

If you want photo gear that doesn't take pictures, like Benro tripods, Yongnuo flashes, or speedlight modifiers in general, then you might be in luck. That stuff tends to be cheaper here.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

HPL posted:

It's actually not that bad a price considering that it's a new production, ultra-wide angle aperture-priority 35mm compact camera. If a similar thing came out from someone else, it would probably be near $1000. If the lens turns out to be decent, I'd say $400 is probably on par or potentially under-valued.

Oops missed this. It's full auto exposure I think, you can't even shift the program.

And yeah it seems cheaper than a hypothetical Cosina P&S, but given that these guys price Holgas well above what the eBay outlets charge, I don't really trust their pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ScreaminKing posted:

HK, not so much, although the stuff from mainland China that's made it over there probably wouldn't be outrageous. Lucky and Shanghai are the two Chinese brands of film I know, they're cheap and fun for playing around with, although now that I'm back in the US I normally pay the extra to shoot Acros.

I really regret not buying a Seagull 203 when I was there, although I guess for $100 shipped or so I could get one now.

• Locked thread