Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

You can almost always use a new flash with old cameras
I can confirm this, the burning smell was barely noticeable and was probably drifting in through my window, coincidentally.

New Flash Old Camera by Execudork, on Flickr

EDIT: Sorry, not about P&S. But any 35mm P&S with a hotshoe should, I think, work with your fancy flash for your DSLR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I was also thinking it might be fun to mail the thing around to a bunch of folks, each person taking like two pictures and mailing it to the next in line as a group project.
I'm still interested in this - make a thread!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

General Gingersnap posted:

Just wait and search craiglist. I just restored a Canonet ql19 I got off craigslist for around $30. I got my XA off KEH for $45 with a flash. I hear the bay area is the best place for camera thrifting though, but Texas isn't too bad. Maybe I should start a thread about fixing up 1970's midrange rangefinders. Will anyone be interested?
My next camera will either be a Pentax MX or a midrange rangefinder from the 1970's - so I'd be very interested in some opinions on such cameras and ways to keep them operational.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Augmented Dickey posted:

The Trip 35 is a decent camera, but the price seems pretty steep for something so basic. For that amount of cash you should be able to find a Rollei 35.
I'd really like a Rollei 35, but the prices on ebay right now seem to be pushing towards $200.

Also: 24 KARAT GOLD

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I picked up this Olympus Infinity today for $4, and it came with a neat little snap-on 1.3x teleconverter. Everything appears to be in great shape, no real scratches or anything on the body and the foam inside seems fully intact.

Olympus Infinity 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

Olympus Infinity 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

The battery I ordered cost more than $6, and will probably take a month to get here.

I just blasted through the last 10 pages (and 2 years) of this thread, and I saw mightaswell had put up some kind of advertisement for this camera that strongly suggested it was water resistant. Did I get that lucky?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It took too long, but tonight I scanned the first two rolls I've sent through my Olympus Infinity.

unpacked robinhood posted:

I've found my mother's similar looking Olympus AF1 in a drawer last month, sitting there unused for a more than a decade.

I opened the slider and inadvertently pushed the shutter. It flashed my stupid face without a hiccup and advanced the roll for the next shot. It does'nt say much about how weatherproof it is but still :stare:
First, a bit about the camera: it's known (and labelled) as the Olympus AF-1 in most places outside of North America, so unpacked robinhood's camera is the same. Many sites claim the flash fires every time the shutter button is pressed, but mine only uses the flash when light levels are low - indoors, for example. Outdoors on a bright sunny day, no flash. :) Olympus' history page describes this camera as their first autofocus P&S (they distinguish between P&S and rangefinders - the C-AF was their first AF camera), and progenitor of a long line of AF P&S - including the thread-favourites like the mju and XA. Plus, water-resistant - hence the Japanese name "Nurepika" that apparently means "wet flash"....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lERihvfMatY
... as demonstrated in this Japanese commercial.

My battery arrived from Israel in record time, and I loaded a roll of expired Walgreens-branded (actually Fuji) expired ISO 200 film I got a while ago from FilmPhotographyProject. None of the following pictures have been white-balance adjusted, but I did crop/rotate/and adjust tone in LightRoom. Also these came through my rather crappy Epson Perfection 3170 PHOTO scanner.

Test Roll 1 Walgreens 200 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

Test Roll 1 Walgreens 200 3 by Execudork, on Flickr

That was a cold day, around -30 C, and this little fully-auto camera did well. It's surprisingly easy to open and shoot wearing huge gloves, but I've got to be more careful about where said huge gloves are in relation to the lens. :downs:

Test Roll 1 Walgreens 200 6 by Execudork, on Flickr

RustedChrome posted:

I loaded the Klasse with some Ektar 100 and went looking for those turquoise skies.

This was mildly inspirational - I had just loaded my second roll, Ektar 100, when I saw your post. Thanks!

Test Roll 2 Kodak Ektar 100 4 by Execudork, on Flickr

Test Roll 2 Kodak Ektar 100 8 by Execudork, on Flickr

Test Roll 2 Kodak Ektar 100 12 by Execudork, on Flickr

Finally, this camera has accessories! In addition to the 1.3x teleconverter I've got, Olympus made a "close-up" (kind of a quasi-macro thing) lens that occassionally shows up on eBay. Someday...

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I agree with Paul MaudDib - give your friend either P&S if you think they're looking for "I want to take pictures like it's 1999", or help them find a manual-focus SLR from the 80's for like $50 if they're more interested in learning how to take pictures they can be proud of.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

CRAYON posted:

I don't really feel like spending twice as much as I spent on the camera for a battery adapter.
This is the fundamental challenge of a thrift-store or garage-sale 35mm P&S: that feeling of "what the hell am I doing?" when you put out ten times as much money on batteries, film, accessories, and repairs as you spent on the initial purchase of the camera.

Mine was $4. The battery, the cheapest I could find on eBay, was $6; local prices on that battery were close to $20. And I almost never find film for less than $5/roll (my long-term average cost is probably around $7/roll), never mind developing or printing.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ansel autisms posted:

Panorama mode is just cropping off the top and bottom of each frame
True, and despite knowing (and it being obvious through the viewfinder) on my 90's SLR that does it, I find it an interesting and enjoyable way to shoot.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Cut your budget to $15 for the camera, spend the rest on film.

Browse your local thrift shops. You're looking for a non-zoom first, something with a reputable brand name behind it second. If you recognize the brand name, it's probably good (though obviously that doesn't mean "Vivitar" or "Sears" are good bets).

Zooms on film P&S tend to be pretty bad, they had to make too many compromises on the lens design, all driven by cutting costs so you end up with a variable aperture that runs from about f/4 to f/6.3 if you're lucky. It's much easier to find a P&S with a prime lens and a maximum aperture of f/3.5 or even f/2.8.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
For new film, The Film Photography Project.
For expired and/or other-market/other-brand, eBay stores like Film Festival
For I-found-this-in-the-back-room, random eBay auctions.

Edit: I'm in Canada, too. Shipping from the US is often way more expensive than it should be because so many Yanquis don't know about Postal Agreements between our two countries. And others just don't want to send across a border.

Also, Freestyle isn't too bad if you buy enough to spread out the shipping flat rates, likewise Maco Direct, especially for things like developing chemicals (Freestyle, and many eBay sellers, won't ship liquids internationally, but Maco knows what's what and is happy to do it).

Again, shipping falls into categories by weight so once you pass some threshold (e.g. bottles of chems) you can pile on lots of relatively light-weight film without increasing the shipping cost.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 7, 2014

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I don't like their site, I couldn't find my previous orders but I found the email confirmation they sent the last time I bought something from them. I also can't figure out their forums, I tried to post a reply to a thread once and it just utterly failed. But whatever.

Back in April I bought some film, cost was $71.96 and shipping was $15.15 (10 rolls of 35mm plus a pack of Impossible Project instant for my GF's 600). Customs didn't do anything to it at the border, so import fees were zero.

My experience with buying stuff in general from the USA is that most stuff sails through customs unmolested, but more valuable items, like my K-5 I bought last year from KEH (for about $500) get hit with whatever the standard tariff is (something like 8% I think) and once, about 10 years ago, a bunch of books I bought from a game company were opened and investigated, and I was charged about $15 for the privilege of Canada Customs "Protecting Your Safety and Freedom" (i.e., they cut the box open, pushed everything around, and left a note to that effect before clumsily taping it all back together. Jerks) on top of the tariff. That was right around the time of the lawsuit in Vancouver from that LGBT bookstore and that children's book about having two moms, so I was pretty surprised that CC was snooping on books.

It's a gamble; sometimes they hit you with a charge, sometimes they don't. As a general rule, Canada Customs is pretty useless in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I found my GF's Canonet 28 last weekend while tidying up. She let me borrow it, pre-loaded with a roll of mystery film - she last used it years ago and has no idea what's in there. This thing is fun, and (hilariously) seems to play nice with my flash.

• Locked thread