Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Ugh, look at this Japan-only, awesome bullshit:

Fuji Natura Black - 24mm f/1.9 lens.

Samples

Not Japan only, but kind of a dark horse: Konica's Hexar AF is kind of the Cadillac of 35mm P&S's - an autofocus 35mm f/2 lens that's reputedly a copy of the Leica Summacron:

Samples

I used to use a Lomo LC-A as a 35mm P&S when I lived overseas, although it wasn't full auto, you had to select from one of four distance settings:

Morning Commute by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Luke by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Teacher by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

798 by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Rednik posted:

How is the Hexar AF?

Expensive :smith:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Rednik posted:

I've seen it going secondhand for around $350. For what amounts to a Leica M with a permanently-affixed 35mm f/2 Summicron it doesn't look like a bad deal.

I saw that uggo one on eBay, I totally would have paid $350 for that too :-\

spf3million posted:

How is the Olympus XA not mentioned in the OP? Probably the cheapest f/2.8 available (aside from the Epic mju II). I'm working through my first roll now. Tiny and fun.

Because rangefinders aren't P&S's :colbert:

grumblybear posted:

oh man, why did this thread have to come up now, a few days after my olympus ecru was lifted off me at a club?

35mm f/3.5, silly-powerful flash, and a wacko form factor that broke the ice with anyone i wanted to shoot.

looked at replacing it, they run upwards of $400 on ebay cause they were limited edition (20k worldwide), so that's not gonna happen. fortunately they were essentially the same as the stylus epic (the ecru was the proof-of-concept that led to the epic), and those are cheaper and with a faster lens, but not as dooooooooooope.

That is pretty goofy looking. Perhaps you could fill the ECRU-shaped hole in your heart with this delightful example of 1980's design:

Plus it's a half-frame, so you can shoot with reckless abandon! I've got a FED Mikron whose selenium meter is still kickin' after all these years (lucky thing, as it's auto-only and coupled to the meter):

The downside to even a working Mikron (which is scale-focus only, not a rangefinder like it tries to masquerade as) is that the GOST dial only goes up to about the equivalent of ISO 300, so it's out for low-light. I have a roll or two of snapshots from it that I really need to get scanned and posted.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and give some props to this little thing:

Vivitar PN2011

Vivitar PN2011 by brionline, on Flickr

I found my first one in our rural mailbox back in highschool, just sitting in there, not bundled with anything. I have no idea why it was there, but it accompanied me on a lot of field trips. Since then, I've picked up another one for 99 cents. Every thrift shop around here has several of these. Does it suck? Yes, absolutely. But it's so light and cheap that I can carry it while kayaking and not worry about destroying it.

I love that kayaking shot!

Beater plastic cameras are the best, when the LCA died I had no way of using the roll of precious Velvia I had been saving for a special day (was shooting everything else on the trip with print film or Sensia). I found a $5 camera in a bin at Goodwill in California and shot that roll of Velvia, then cross-processed it for good measure, which amplified the weird, lofi look (the prints are color-corrected and look a lot better):

California by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Fire by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Rednik posted:

Pompous Rhombus: Not to poo poo up the thread or anything, but it wasn't on Ebay, and I can get you the link if you're interested. I saw what looked like 2 in good shape for $350 a pop.

Though who knows, maybe if I sell the Bessa I might replace it with the Hexar (but probably not). :)

Yeah, definitely.

I talked with my friend and he's interested in the Bessa, but he thinks he has to write a $1000 check to the Glider Association this week :wtc:

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 11, 2011

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

wanderlost posted:

The light meter in my LC-A stopped working this afternoon. I've replaced the batteries and still no luck, so I need a replacement.

Try taking it apart, don't really have anything to lose. You can find guides on the internet.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Jook posted:

Got my XA2 - looks to be in near perfect condition. Shot a roll of 800, paid near 12 bucks to have it developed and the images to be put on CD, cried in the car as I went through the prints and found 1 maybe 2 shots that weren't horrible blurry messes.

Granted everything was shot at night/at a concert and it took me a few shots to realize that I needed to wait and listen for the shutter before moving but still I didn't think I'd be so bad.

You can pay to get the meter modified to read a stop faster (can shoot 1600), but for an XA2 I dunno if it'd be worth it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Rednik posted:

Is there a good wide-panoramic camera that's affordable?

I was looking at the Russian Horizon/Gorizont cameras but they are kind of pricey for what amounts to a piece of junk.

The Horizon 202 seems pretty decent, but otherwise the answer to your question is "no, not really." I built my own like two years ago that worked semi-well, but I need a more elegant way of focusing it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Rednik posted:

Do you think it's better than the janky "Horizont" I keep seeing on Ebay from the FSU?

http://cgi.ebay.com/KMZ-Horizont-panoramic-camera-rare-/220761538205?pt=US_Vintage_Cameras&hash=item336669be9d

Yeah, the Horizont is the first/earliest version, the 202 is a more modern redesign that's more reliable and has more speeds.

edit: I haven't looked at prices in ages, but a used 202 in the USA should go for like $180-210. Lots of them get bought, used for a few rolls, and then forgotten about apparently.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Beerios posted:

I'm looking at an Olympus XA on Craigslist and the seller didn't ask for a specific price (just "make some offers" for a few film/digital point and shoots and an old Polaroid, he didn't even list a model till I recognized it in the photo and asked him whether it was the XA or XA2/3/4). What would be a reasonable offer to make here? I'm thinking 30 or 40, is that too much of a lowball?

If it's an XA, they go for around $100ish in good working condition on eBay (unless they've dropped in the last year or two since I've looked), but the average person will assume it's worth $5. The XA2 can be had for like $30 or less on eBay, IIRC.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Beerios posted:

:woop: Lookin at that XA sometime soon. I'm gonna pick up some SR44 batteries for it ahead of time so I can check the meter and shutter, is there anything else in particular that I should look out for? I know these things have a habit of breaking but I'm not sure how they generally tend to go bad.

The shutter is usually most problematic, although I did get one with bad RF alignment. It is a massive pain in the rear end to adjust, I don't think I ever even got to the screw.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

RoflcopterPilot posted:

I'll just put this right here. Any suggestions?

Fuji made a disposable camera with like a (plastic) 17mm lens. They've been discontinued for years though, and re-loading it is a chore.

It's a toy camera, but the Vivitar Wide & Slim might be fun for messing around, as long as you're fine with daylight-only photography.

Fake edit: nm, that's basically the same thing as the Superheadz camera you mentioned.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Could probably still make a killing by just buying up a bunch of crappy old Soviet plastic TLRs and then reselling them on Ebay with "L@@K! LOMO!" in the name.

I used to buy Seagulls (or the equivalent, there were a number of Chinese TLR's that copied the design but used a different name) for $15 or less at the photography market when I was studying in Beijing.

I wound up giving them to photographer friends (along with a few 88 cent rolls of Lucky 100 in 120) as gifts when I got back. :shobon:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ScreaminKing posted:

Are cameras/film cheap in China? I have a friend coming to visit next month from Hong Kong, should I ask her to pick me up something?

HK, not so much, although the stuff from mainland China that's made it over there probably wouldn't be outrageous. Lucky and Shanghai are the two Chinese brands of film I know, they're cheap and fun for playing around with, although now that I'm back in the US I normally pay the extra to shoot Acros.

I really regret not buying a Seagull 203 when I was there, although I guess for $100 shipped or so I could get one now.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

spf3million posted:

I'm thinking about trying to pick up a cheap tlr when I swing through Beijing on my way home in 3 weeks. I wouldn't have a ton of time to shop around, how far is this Wukesong camera market from the Lido area?

That's out towards the airport/798 Art District, right? If you can get to the subway, just take that out to Wukesong station (line 1, west of Tiananmen Square) and walk north for 15 minutes or so. Look for Mudan or one of the other off-brands, sellers seemed to want more for Seagulls, but you should still be able to stay under $30 without too much trouble.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Trambopaline posted:

I'm trying to spend under $50NZD (a bit less than $40USD)

It's not a hard limit, but it's just thati'm preparing to work in tanzania or zambia next year as a medical student and i just want to be able to bring a camera that won't make me very sad if something happens to it. If i was going to I'd prefer something with a rangefinder and shooting manual because hey, if i go film i figure i might as well go all out and get some nostalgic fun.

For some reason locally there's a ridiculous amount of demand for classic cameras, and i've seen a himatic 7s which according to the internet has no collector value go for like 150 NZD. So i'm trawling thrift stores and bottom feeding the local auction sites.

Also, as an aside, I'm kinda debating brining my current camera (I own a relatively cheap (in photography money) low end DSLR, but for a student it still isn't that cheap.)

Just get insurance on it (renter's or homeowners will often do the trick) and get/bring a nicer camera.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
XA's in general just seem to have Soviet-camera levels of reliability.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Beastruction posted:

Well, based on the sample pictures it would probably end up spending a lot of time on my shelf collecting dust, and I already have enough stuff doing that. The original Japanese magazine version would at least have something to turn it into a decent display but that's more like $60+ shipped.

I live in Japan and came across it at a bookstore a few weeks ago, picked it up for about US$30. Haven't had time to put it together yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

I wish I had packed my parts bin along, I have two Lomo LC-A lenses back home in the USA that would have been cool to swap in.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Saint Fu posted:

SAD x-post

img827 by spf3million, on Flickr
Olympus XA, Portra 400, about an hour of spot dust removal in LR.

That's beautiful, if it was square (which nevermind, would alter the composition entirely) I'd totally assume it was an album cover. Great work!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

RustedChrome posted:

That is why some people do it. I've done it just to keep the bright white camera company logo from showing up so strongly in reflections, especially if I have to shoot through glass, like from an observation deck in a skyscraper or something.

I've read elsewhere that for street photography, people's eyes are subconsciously drawn to text (like a camera company's name), so if you black it out, more likely they'll slide over you/the camera and get back to whatever they were doing.

That said, never done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Getting caught up on old scans. I was given a Lomo LC-A and took it out on one of my motorbike trips when I was living in rural Japan:

Look at how laughably soft those corners are. Doesn't seem to do radically better when stopped down. I still kinda like it though (used to have an OG Russian one when I was 19-20), think I'll keep it around and run the occasional roll through it.

• Locked thread