Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
How is the Olympus XA not mentioned in the OP? Probably the cheapest f/2.8 available (aside from the Epic mju II). I'm working through my first roll now. Tiny and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Because rangefinders aren't P&S's :colbert:
Fair enough. I think this thread should adopt it anyway

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
What about the Canon AF35ML (Super Sure Shot)? 40mm, f/1.9, $25 buy it now on ebay. And it looks like it's a little bit smaller than the original Sure Shot.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Stupid question time, is the A11 flash on an XA at all useful?
It's alright, it still fits in my jeans pocket with it attached, I find I don't bring it often though. Here's a few junk examples and low res CVS scans, I think this was 100 speed film.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
How did the XA not make the OP again?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
And some more XA love :allears:

Looking forward to the day when I own my own film scanner and no longer have to live with lovely developer scans.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Baish posted:

What kind of film should I get?
Probably start with some standard 400 ISO color film. Or if you want to get good stuff, I'd say try the new Porta 400 (color) or Tri-X (B&W).

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Drunk posting from PAX East but, the XA is the most amazing camera I've ever used, God willing the exposure comes out. I was wandering about Boston, and it feels so good to use compared to a DSLR.
I completely agree with you. I just did the unthinkable today, went on a day trip tour thingy out of Bangkok and :gasp: left my 5d2 at home! XA and s90 all the way.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Awkward Davies posted:

I noticed the focusing also. Messed up some pictures on my last roll because I got too close. Oops : /
Yeah the MFD is kind of a bitch sometimes.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Some more XA love.

CNV000038-2 by spf3million, on Flickr

lol hookers

CNV000031-2 by spf3million, on Flickr

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I paid $60 for mine off CL.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Pompous Rhombus posted:

HK, not so much, although the stuff from mainland China that's made it over there probably wouldn't be outrageous. Lucky and Shanghai are the two Chinese brands of film I know, they're cheap and fun for playing around with, although now that I'm back in the US I normally pay the extra to shoot Acros.

I really regret not buying a Seagull 203 when I was there, although I guess for $100 shipped or so I could get one now.
I'm thinking about trying to pick up a cheap tlr when I swing through Beijing on my way home in 3 weeks. I wouldn't have a ton of time to shop around, how far is this Wukesong camera market from the Lido area?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
That's an awesome idea. My XA RF window is fogged to hell, I just zone focus when it isn't really bright. I'll give it a whirl.

Your link is bad FYI.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Olympus stylus epic mju II arrived last night, holy crap this thing is tiny. Even smaller (and much lighter) than an XA.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
And there's one in the buy/sell thread right now.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

I HATE CARS posted:

Well i went and did it, I bought a brand-new stupidly expensive 35mm camera that isn't even an SLR or a rangefinder ... now for it to clear customs in time for my holiday next week.
It looks sexy, what is it?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

the hassler posted:

Yashica T4

Untitled by Brett Fryzuk, on Flickr
This pictures still owns.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
XA>XA2

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

brad industry posted:

The shutter buttons are electronically triggered and if they get wet they die eventually. I think the XA2s are worse about this - I've killed two by shooting in the rain.
Olympus mju II to the rescue

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
SAD x-post

img827 by spf3million, on Flickr
Olympus XA, Portra 400, about an hour of spot dust removal in LR.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Trambopaline posted:

I went to China with a Canonet. Crosspost from SAD

Subway by trambopaline, on Flickr

Prayers by trambopaline, on Flickr
Did you try some Lucky film?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Try the Canon Sure Shot A1.

e: somehow they range in price from $10 to $200 on ebay. Not sure what's going on there...
e2: What about a Minolta Weathermatic Dual 35 DL AF?

spf3million fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 17, 2012

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Olympus XA2 would be my recommendation. Not technically a point and shoot since its zone focus but pretty close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
At first glance I thought this was how to take a picture of Darth Vader. Just another reason why the epic owns.

• Locked thread