Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
A local store has a used rollei 35 for $100, I am think of buying it, though what I really want is a XA2. Does anyone have experience with both?

PS- This thread rules

General Gingersnap fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

To make a long story short the XA2 is a point and shoot and the Rollei 35 is not.

IQ-wise, the Triotar versions of the Rollei 35 are probably a bit softer than the XA2 wide open (flickr example), but equal when stopped down (landscape mode). The Tessar versions are probably a bit better than the XA2 (also a Tessar, I believe, but probably not as high quality). The Sonnar versions are great even wide open (but it's probably not a Sonnar at $100).

The Rollei 35 is built like a brick shithouse and will give you more creative control. You get full manual control of shutter and aperture, and scale focusing instead of zone-focus. It will also probably be more repairable if it breaks. It's kind of a clumsy camera and using a flash is a pain. The meter does not work well in the dark.

Disclosure: I have a Rollei 35 that I haven't put a roll through yet, because my XA (not XA2) has a rangefinder, is easier to carry, and I trust the meter more.

Thanks! Im not looking for balls to the wall creative control, just something portable/awesome for when I dont want to carry a slr. I see an XA2 with an A11 for $45 on KEH, I think Im going to go for it. I also have big hands, the Rollei may be a little 'too' small.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
I cant believe people are trying to get $200+ for XA2s on ebay, thats just ridiculous. I am still kicking myself for not buying one that I saw for around $30 at a thrift shop, but whtevz

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
I put up a wanted ad for one on CL, a guy emailed me asking $45 for one. Good, bad?

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
I am officially a part of the XA2 club :slick:

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
This is a cool website that discusses the entire XA line: http://www.diaxa.com/

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
Hello hello little Gursky

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
I love the xa2

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
Not going to lie, thats pretty criminal. How much does it cost for just the development? You could just buy a scanner and do them yourself, which you undoubtedly already know, but then you have to deal with dust all the time. (my cross)

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009

Ric posted:

Owns

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
Found a Yashica Mg-1 for $35 at a pawn shop yesterday. Got the meter to work through battery fuckery, I'm really excited to shoot a roll through it.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
Just wait and search craiglist. I just restored a Canonet ql19 I got off craigslist for around $30. I got my XA off KEH for $45 with a flash. I hear the bay area is the best place for camera thrifting though, but Texas isn't too bad. Maybe I should start a thread about fixing up 1970's midrange rangefinders. Will anyone be interested?

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
I just snagged an Olympus Stylus Epic for .99 and a a generic 35mm point and shoot with underwater housing for $2 (going tubing later today). Deals are def out there, you just have to be willing to look and drive. If you live in any kind of youth epicenter, ie Austin, Portland, etc, chances are thrift stores have already been picked through pretty heavily or are priced with ebay as a reference. Whenever I visit my family in San Antonio I always visit local thrift stores because they have not been picked over by every youth photographer like in Austin.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
^^^^^Post some pictures man post some piczzz.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
I recently bought a ql19 off of CL. The shutter was incredibly sticky, managed to fix it though. If I can I will make the thread tonight. PS- If anyone wants to trade a their Canonet for my Stylus Epic DLX let me know. I Already have a Yashica T3 and an XA so it feels a little unnecessary.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
Yashica t4 super is one hell of a camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

That's one hell of a photograph 8)

Thanks duder!

• Locked thread