Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Gonna repost this as there's quite a few P&S there - http://kenshukan.net/john/archives/2009/12/30/travel-photography-by-photographica/

I want just about every one of these. Maybe tomorrow I'll post my collection of P&S/pocketable cameras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Wow, the Olympus XA2 seems to be the goon camera of choice for some reason. No one's even bought an XA4 and it has that cool flash-bar thing off to the side!

I was figuring I'd get one or two of you to pony up for a T4 or maybe to convince one of you with slightly more dispensable income to pick up the Contax T2 but the XA2 seems to be a real hit!

There's 4 flash units for the XA series (XA, XA1, XA2, XA3, XA4) series anyway, not just for the XA4. The XA and the XA4 are usually the cameras of choice as the XA is a fully featured rangefinder with a 35/2.8 lens, whereas the XA4 is a 'macro' zone focusing 35/3.5 but is pretty drat rare and expensive.

The XA1 is poo poo, and everybody knows about the XA2 it seems - plus it came in a variety of colours and was featured in anime :v:, and the XA3 seems much the same as the XA2 but with DX.

But back to the flashes, they're all pretty crappy (dont work at speeds other than 100 or 400 ISO) and completely negate the massive advantage of the XA series as you can no longer carry it around in your pocket.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Seeing as we can't shut up about XA's.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Is there a photography anime I don't know about?!?!?

Lots probably, but I don't know them either.

This is from FLCL, she also has an OM.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Jook posted:

Got my XA2 - looks to be in near perfect condition. Shot a roll of 800, paid near 12 bucks to have it developed and the images to be put on CD, cried in the car as I went through the prints and found 1 maybe 2 shots that weren't horrible blurry messes.

Granted everything was shot at night/at a concert and it took me a few shots to realize that I needed to wait and listen for the shutter before moving but still I didn't think I'd be so bad.

It's a P&S camera from the 80's with 800 film in it, I'm not quite sure what you were expecting there. Go outside during the day and take some photos.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

RizieN posted:

Electrical tape.

Uh ...

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Stupid question time, is the A11 flash on an XA at all useful?

Have you read the first page of this thread?

But as I said before; I think the added size and weight (and slow recharge) completely negate all of the major positives of the XA.

Awkward Davies posted:

I bought 400 speed and I've been shooting in doors. I'm guessing my first role on the XA2 is going to be a total waste.

If it's not too dark you should be fine, I have shaky as hell hands and if I'm careful then anything above 1/30 turns out fine. Also, I pretty much only shoot 100 – pushed two stops to 400 – indoors and out.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

One day you'll be mine.

Messed around with one of these at a Yodobashi Camera while in Tokyo last month. ¥40,000 ... I'm definitely going to have to save.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Awkward Davies posted:

If you're lusting after it, why don't you tell us what it's actually called.

No, because there's only 8000 of them in the world (ie. Japan) ...

Sorry, figured people would know what it is, a Fuji Klasse S.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

HPL posted:

For the same price, you could get a Contax T2 which is about the same, spec-wise.

I've been looking at a the Contax's, Yashica's, Ricoh's, Minolta's, etc. but this is my favourite by far. It feels a lot nicer than any of the others I've managed to have in my hand, has a narrower than 35mm lens (albiet not by much), ISO override, and is almost as pocketable as my XA.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

HPL posted:

You can override the DX ISO code by either scraping the paint off the film cannister to match what you want or using the exposure dial to adjust the ISO by +2/-2 stops.

Yeah I realise this, but the first is too fiddly and I'm likely to forget to do it before taking a camera and a pocket full of film out, and the second doesn't give me as much EV control over individual shots.

Plus I just like this camera okay :v:

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

breathstealer posted:

Lomography [...] terrifyingly expensive

Now there's a surprise. I should've bought more than the 3 Holgas I got on eBay 5 years ago, would've been a better investment than shares.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Well i went and did it, I bought a brand-new stupidly expensive 35mm camera that isn't even an SLR or a rangefinder ... now for it to clear customs in time for my holiday next week.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

spf3million posted:

It looks sexy, what is it?

Fuji Klasse S

Seeing as most of the detailed technical information about it is in Japanese it's probably best to link to the English PDF manual that Fuji provided for all of us importing these cameras from Japan - http://www.morganmalaska.se//dump/KLASSE-WS_E_090917.pdf

But that basics are: 38mm 2.8 lens, automatic everything, with manual override for everything.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
My Klasse S arrived just in time to take it on holiday with me, already put two rolls of film through it and I absolutely love it. It may've cost more than any camera I've bought before (including a new dSLR) but it's bloody worth it.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

General Gingersnap posted:

^^^^^Post some pictures man post some piczzz.

I'm back at home in a week, I'll be developing my film pretty much immediately.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Sevn posted:

I am very interested in seeing your pics. The Klasse S is floating around everywhere here and I am wondering if it is worth paying the price.

I dropped the colour off to get developed the other day, but I've been lazy about the B&W. I'll get a couple rolls developed tomorrow night so I can put up some photos for you guys. Not so sure if the photos will push you into deciding one way or another, but I do have to say that the resolution of my scanner really lets down the sharpness of the lens, a problem I never had so much with the XA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
8 rolls through my brand new £600 Klasse S and it's just stopped working with the lens stuck open :/

• Locked thread