Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have a problem (but it was $5 on ebay, how could I say no?)

I have a disease by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mest0r posted:

The Yashica Electro 35 would be a pretty sweet camera if it were not for the 'pad of death' problem that plagues it. I was all set in trying to fix it but the screw that holds down the ISO dial cracked so I can't find a way to attach it back, now I'm all :effort:.

TBH I had totally forgotten about that. I'm going to put the effort into making a new advance lever, I hope it's not all for naught.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

eggsovereasy posted:

The Electro 35 CC is pretty sexy too, but I'm with you on the more common G/GS/GSN/GT/GTN, they're a bit big.

Definitely a bit big. I don't find the shutter too loud, tho I also haven't been able to use it beyond test fires. I feel like my AE-1 wins the prize for most ridiculous shutter noise.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

The Lynx 14e forever wrecked the GSN for me. No pad of death, fast f/1.4 lens, all-mechanical shutter, super heavy construction. The GSN isn't really much smaller anyway. But technically these are all rangefinders, not point and shoots.

This is true. I have strayed from the intent of this thread. I am ashamed.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Having just finished grad school, I can actually go places and do things that warrant bringing a camera again. Hooray! Still using the XA2.

Lucky dog:

35960010.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Sunset watching:

35960001.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Crazy golden hour color:

35960006.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Prathm posted:

Goodwill find of the month:

They both need new light-seals though.

Now I just need to get over my fear of being labeled a hipster so I can try them out outside. :)

Man gently caress that, those are very pretty cameras. Use them with pride.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

This is great.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Awkward Davies posted:

I have a problem (but it was $5 on ebay, how could I say no?)

I have a disease by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Finally got around to fixing this fucker.

The problems -

Battery compartment is massive:

Battery compartment Yashica Electro 35 GS by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Battery is tiny:

Alkaline battery for Yashica Electro 35 GS by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Solution:

Laser cut spacers. The battery compartment is about .6 inches in diameter, the compartment is about .5 inches in diameter. I laser cut some 1/8th inch plexi spacers and then stacked them.

Battery spacers by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Snug:

Untitled by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Also, the battery was still about 1/4th inch or so below the battery cap due to its reduced size, so I ripped a small spring out of a discarded children's toy and soldered it to the cap

Battery test, success!

Success! Battery light on by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Finally, the camera was missing the advance lever

Broken film advance lever by spikespikespike, on Flickr

so I laser cut a new one out of 1/4th inch black plexi. It's not perfect, but it works.

Now to run a roll through it and find out it has the pad of death, rendering this all pointless.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Lasers solve everything!

This is true.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Where are you all buying your film now? Local, or online?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

maxmars posted:

Online. No contest.

Ebay? Amazon?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Spedman posted:

Thanks, I always forget how much work is required to get 35mm just right with scanning and colour correcting.

Try freestyle and the film photography podcast online stores, and I'm a big fan of macodirect.de too for chemicals. And buying Foma film directly from them is great value too. But if I remember Awkward, you're in NY? Just go to B&H and Adorama.

Was looking for a possibly cheaper/more direct online option (mythical, I know).

I'll check out Foma, thanks.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Was given one of these badboys. Not technically a point and shoot, but everything is so dang small it might as well be. It's got a battery issue (aka the batteries were mercury and are now illegal etc etc).

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So my girlfriend's father sent us this:

Minolta RIVA Panorama by 2R_Roger, on Flickr

It's a Minolta Riva, a "panoramic" 35mm. By "panoramic" I mean a 24mm lens with a plastic housing around it so that you get a long rectangular image that looks like a panorama. The thing is, the lens on it is pretty great:

New York City by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Prospect Park by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Teaching Forrest how to ride a bike by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Me - Taken by AK by spikespikespike, on Flickr

It's been a fun camera to trade between my girlfriend and I.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 20, 2013

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

QPZIL posted:

Wow, that's actually really awesome.

Thanks!

xzzy posted:

That park shot with the bike is amazing.

Looks like a still from a movie (and not just because of the aspect ratio, the lighting and color feels very cinematic).

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Putting black bars on your 35mm stills always looks cool:

Yeeah those bars do help. I've played around with making 16:9 images before, and it's amazing what your brain automatically interprets as "cinematic". For the record, those bars are there because the film was processed as an ordinary 35mm. If I ever get around to buying a scanner and scanning in some large resolution copies, I would try cropping them.

Spedman posted:

That park shot is stunning, great work.

I do remember in the early 90's my uncle having a panoramic 35mm point and shoot, used to get these long prints done at the store he got it processed at. I'll see if I can find out what the model was, and if he still has it.

Thanks! According to the camera wiki I was reading, this camera was the result of a pano craze sometime in the 90s, so it's seems like there were many floating around.

Spime Wrangler posted:

Check out Jeff Bridges' stuff shot with a Widelux http://www.jeffbridges.com/photojan10a.html, courtesy pseudonordic in taintchat. Its a weirdo camera that uses a rotating 26mm lens. Its also lol expensive.

My girlfriends dad worked with Bridges, who gave him a copy of his book. I was paging through it when I was at their house, it's a really incredible book. He's a super impressive photographer, if you haven't seen any of his images (people other than Spime Wrangler) I would highly suggest checking them out.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Subyng posted:

Awesome. What film were you using for those?

Portra 400, and Kodak 400

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

I went to a local photo store that occasionally has used 35mm P&S cameras for sale. They wanted $190 for a used XA with flash.

Then I went to the Goodwill bins and got a bungee cord, a beanie and a mint Epic DLX for 95c :getin:

That's hosed. They're like $50 max on ebay. That camera place was gouging the poo poo out of you.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I saw these photos a week ago and have been drooling over them since. I just won the only ebay listing for one of these cameras that happened to be new in box for $42. Best purchase ever.

Sorry it's been a while since I've checked this thread.

Did you get it? Did it work out?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
xpost from low effort:

Went to miami, brought my xa2

Sexy

Ocean Dr

South beach

Ocean Selfie

Beach Selfie

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Chill Callahan posted:

Dang. Those first two are great; maybe I should shoot with my XA2 more. Did you set the zone focus on landscape for those?

Thanks! Not really, I usually forget about those settings.

dude ranch posted:

I keep loading bullshit expired weird films in my XA and then I wonder why I never shoot it.

Yeah this was loaded with expired 800 fuji that I picked up because it was $12 for a five pack. Probably not the best film for a bright beach. :/

the night dad posted:

In a day, how many cellphones do you think plunge into the drink on that beach?

God, so many. There were so many selfies. I was amazed.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

The ghetto solution to this is to go buy a pack of 675-type hearing aid batteries and wad tinfoil in there until everything fits right. Or buy a Wein cell, use it till it's dead, and then take a screwdriver and pry off the adapter, which just fits a standard 675 cell.

Adapters are a long-term purchase. If you do a lot of thrift-store hunting you will eventually run into more cameras that use mercury-cell batteries and need the adapter. I understand the feeling of not wanting to spend 10x the money on the parts as you spent on the camera itself, but sooner or later you'll run into something cool that uses it. My Rollei 35S uses Wein cells, I think my Spotmatics use Wein cells, mercury cells were really common in cameras of a certain age. Buy a cheap one off eBay or something and just shuffle it between cameras.

If you have access to a 3D printer or a laser cutter you can also create the battery adapters yourself fairly easily.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

VomitOnLino posted:

Didn't know you had a tumblr, consider yourself followed.

And that's Japan. The use of Katakana (Says: Pachinko) is a dead giveaway.

What's your tumblr dorkasaurus?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Nobody drinking, sorry. Just some hosed up scans.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ansel autisms posted:

That red line is your calibration area at the top of the scanner glass being filthy

Yeah, I know. Need to go back and rescan those.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Chill Callahan posted:

I realized 35mm point and shoots mostly suck unless they have a manual ISO override

Why?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ansel autisms posted:

So you did dumb poo poo and got dumb results, got it

Chill Callahan posted:

I've only owned a Stylus Epic and a couple lesser P&Ss but I've notice they have a tendency to underexpose. On top of that, I usually use expired Gold or other cheap film in P&Ss and they need to be overexposed a stop or two. In addition, I'd like the ability to underexpose/push something like Tri-X or HP5+ cause those films lend themselves well to P&Ss, in my opinion.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You use bad cameras with expired bad film and you're surprised you got bad results.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Chill Callahan posted:

Kodak Gold scanned with the Pakon 135+ doesn't look that bad. You just need to overexpose it a stop or two. Here's a few of mine:

http://i.imgur.com/q96oB8m.jpg http://i.imgur.com/rRJtc6F.jpg

There's also plenty in the Facebook group.

http://i.imgur.com/oCaQ638.jpg http://i.imgur.com/4LyAV8z.jpg

I guess now that I'm not a student anymore I can splurge on film, but I still feel like an rear end in a top hat.

Hunh those do look good. Still, if you're using expired film you should expect to have to overexpose right? Depending on how it was stored I guess.

Why do you feel like an rear end in a top hat buying decent film?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You broke the tables

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Playing with my fake pano 35mm point and shoot. Some advice included.

moma ps1 by spikemccue, on Flickr

Long Island City, Queens by spikemccue, on Flickr

winter 2015 by spikemccue, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
dag

dag by spike mccue, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Oh man that's so tempting.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Geektox posted:

I almost always forget to change the focus on the XA2. Although chances are I'm usually taking pictures in that zone but it's also incredibly forgiving.

I usually only have problems taking photos too close to someone/something. If you get within about 6' of your subject, make sure to switch to the portrait setting.

Ranges from the manual:

Portrait: 1m (3.28ft) -1.5m (4.9ft)
Snapshot: 1.2m (3.9ft) - infinity
Landscape: 2.5m (8.2ft) - infinity

http://www.cameramanuals.org/olympus_pdf/olympus_xa2.pdf

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Untitled by Simon Chetrit, on Flickr

Been absolutely in love with my Fuji Natura S. Thing is a beast. 1600 at f/1.9 is kind of amazing. And the bizarre-o Natura 1600 film it uses is kind of awesome too, real glad to just know about in general. Really low grain for such a high speed film, and such nice, soft colors.

Plus, she's a looker:

Just once could you post about an awesome camera that is not $700 tia

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

atomicthumbs posted:

the best part about the minox 35 gt is when you discover that despite it going "click" each time it only actually exposed two photos out of 36, and one of them was blurry

lrn 2 focus bro

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm a sucker for this type of photo

Portland Ferry 2 by spike mccue, on Flickr

Portland Ferry by spike mccue, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have a long backlog that I'm working through so...

Greenpoint, Brooklyn by spike mccue, on Flickr

Love at San Gennaro by spike mccue, on Flickr

Mt. Desert Island, ME by spike mccue, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
To the guy who has shot a whole "roll" on the XA when there was no film in it: I know your pain. I've done that.

Developed some film that I shot a year ago from a friends wedding. Same fake pano minolta I've shot with before:

Wedding prep by spike mccue, on Flickr

Pig time by spike mccue, on Flickr

All my friends by spike mccue, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

how loving long is that tie? :stare:

lol I hadn't even noticed that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies