Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I'm thinking of getting an Olympus Mju II with the f/2.8 lens, I think this thread has tipped me over the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

it's....so nice.....
(not leeching cause it's my facebook)

It looks like a tiny version of my Minolta Hi-Matic 7sii, great little camera.

I relented and got the Olympus mju II with the 35mm f/2.8, hopefully put a roll through it this weekend.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Got a roll through my new Olympus Mju II, cross post with SAD:

Physics by mr_student, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Cross posted with SAD, some home process Fuji 800z taken with the little Olympus mju-ii. Love the little thing, really nice lens on it, people are often shocked to find no LCD on the back.

Marcel ponded by mr_student, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Just haggled my way into one of these:

For the bargain hunters in this thread, this one is a doozy. Can easily be snapped up for about $20, super sharp rear end 45mm f/1.8, hot shoe, the works. It still uses the same goofy batteries as the Konica Auto S3 There are also some sister models like the (probably) superior Hi-Matic 9 and the weird in-between Hi-Matic 11, but the 7S has weird cult status and it basically owns so far.

http://www.jwhubbers.nl/mug/HiMatic2.html

this site is really informative and has loads of good info on all the different Minolta's out there.

I managed to find my Mum's old Hi-Matic 7sII, fantastic little rangefinder. Only problem was the focusing spot being a bit dim, but thats fixed with a little bit of black tape on top of the viewing window. The lens works really well with Ilford XP2 Super:

Smoke in the woods #2 by mr_student, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

AceClown posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_Trip_35

£40 on ebay, is this any good?

Whats attracting me is the lack of battery. (and I want to be David Bailey)

I got a really nice one for my girlfriend for around £25, no marks/scratches and came in the original case with the manual, beautiful camera.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Some home processed Fuji 800z taken with the Olympus mju:II

Over the building by mr_student, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Mannequin posted:

I had one bad experience with Ektar. Shot an entire roll of pictures that I thought would turn out great. When I got the film back and looked at it, the range of colors in those photos looked like the range of colors from a fresh pile of vomit. Never going back.

I've also only shot the one roll, it didn't seem to like the full on mid-day sun, horribly saturated, but it did look great in the morning/afternoon golden hours.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Santa is strapped posted:

What is APUG?

Analog Photography User Group, https://www.apug.org lots of people/nerds talking about film photography.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I've been getting very tired with how I've been shooting recently, lots of very un-spontaneous and uninspired 4x5. So at the suggestion of a friend I grabbed a roll of Fomapan 400 from the fridge, scrubbed of the DX code and shot it at 3200 in a Olympus mju:ii from the hip/without the using the view finder. Lots of fun, might have to shoot a few more rolls like this:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Man_of_Teflon posted:

^^^ I really like those a lot - what is the trick to scrubbing DX codes and shooting at a higher ISO?

That shot is pretty neat with the buildings poking into the clouds/fog.

The mju:ii uses the DX codes to set the asa/iso and there is no manual over ride, so to get it to shoot 400 at 3200 you need to scratch off a couple of the black bars. Check out DX codes on Wikipedia, it'll all make sense.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I think there is a waterproof Minolta 110 camera if you're a masochist.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

From a bored walk around town with the Olympus mju:II

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Some more mju:ii (stylus epic) action, expired Portra souped at home:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Santa is strapped posted:

These are super clean - colours and sharpness- nice job!

Thanks, I always forget how much work is required to get 35mm just right with scanning and colour correcting.

Try freestyle and the film photography podcast online stores, and I'm a big fan of macodirect.de too for chemicals. And buying Foma film directly from them is great value too. But if I remember Awkward, you're in NY? Just go to B&H and Adorama.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

These did have a blue cast, and it wasn't from the development either. I don't think I'll bother with expired Portra again, a bit of extra cash for the fresh stuff is worth it.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

XTimmy posted:

Australia, we were only federated in 1901. Before then we were a bunch of lawless colonies.
I'm open to suggestions, my only real necessities are a fast (<f2.0) lens, AE and manual control. It's why I was looking at the Hi Matic 7s. Fits all those bills, but still hard to find over here.

I've got a Hi-Matic 7sii, its pretty neat little camera. If you're looking into one make sure the seller can confirm that the meter is working, the connection between that and the battery can be a bit flakey.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Anyone seen/used on of these bad boys before? (Voigtlander Vito C Compact)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170986094358&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:1123

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

That park shot is stunning, great work.

I do remember in the early 90's my uncle having a panoramic 35mm point and shoot, used to get these long prints done at the store he got it processed at. I'll see if I can find out what the model was, and if he still has it.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I just spoke to my uncle, and he said it was a Pentax point and shoot that had a little switch for going to panoramic mode (he was the awesome uncle that gave me his old ME Super and 50mm/1.4).

From a little digging, it looks like it was a Pentax Espio IQZoom of some kind, that can be had for next to nothing on eBay, supposedly has slow but super sharp lenses on them.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The mju:ii with some Tri-X/Rodinal

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Are you looking for film or digital?(cause this is the point and shoot film thread)

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The first shot looks a bit magenta to me.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Reichstag posted:

For the sort of vibe I think is intended, darkening them overall, giving them real black shadows, and tweaking the colour balance to be slightly exagerrated are all things to try. Think of drugstore glossies before digital minilabs.

I'm guessing something in the internet k-hole vibe:
:nws: http://internetkhole.blogspot.com :nws:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

dukeku posted:

half frame is twice the fun

Olympus PEN?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

VHS by mr_student, on Flickr

Flat by mr_student, on Flickr

Shed by mr_student, on Flickr

Backdoor by mr_student, on Flickr

Sheds by mr_student, on Flickr

Seat by mr_student, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

There was the Kodak Ektacolor that I used to shoot (you can't get it anymore) that was made in Asia, and supposed to be a cheap version of Portra 160NC. Lomography have some expired stuff in stock, I think I've got a few rolls left in the fridge.

And here's couple of my shots with it

E in Apollo Bay by mr_student, on Flickr

Raspberry hands by mr_student, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Whoops. It was late and I was tired; meant to say spot focusing, not zone.

I had no idea it could do this, now I can throw all my other 35mm cameras in the bin.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

What about the Rolleiflex and Leica M2 they used??

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

^^ Pentax SV isn't really a P&S

I took my mju:ii for a walk

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

i'm being generous in the definition, if the lens is attached or its got a small profile its technically a point and shoot. Just want people to buy cheapish lil cameras and take pictures of their friends drinking

Unfortunately these cameras aren't cheapish anymore, unless you want some 90's garbage zoom.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

I spent a total of $10 combined on my XA and Mju-ii :smug:

Tricking your granddad doesn't count.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

That's awesome, we don't really have genuine thrift stores over here anymore, everything is incredibly picked over and the stores a fairly heavily curated (for lack of a better word).

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I was looking for them last night on eBay, so many people asking for way more than $90 :argh:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Awkward Davies posted:

I went to Tokyo for two days and stumbled around alone and jet lagged and took bad photos

Tokyo by spike mccue, on Flickr

These are fricken rad

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Mine's got a leak, still yet to fix it.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I'll have to do that, its got serious leaks in the same spot whenever there is a bit of sun out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

I thought Fuji Superia was -known- for doing that to people with... god, I don't even know how to say this without bringing race into it... white skin. Maybe I'm confused.

Films are balanced against different daylight temperatures or illumination sources such as Tungsten lights. You change the colour temperature of the source relative to the white balance of the film, and the skin tones look will look different.

• Locked thread