Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Just looking at a couple of auctions for a Minolta Himatic 7s and a Yashica 1000 lynx. Was wondering what would be reasonable prices to pay for them, and what might be common problems that might go wrong. Given the prices these auctions seem to float around, I figure this might be a way to get my feet wet for film photography without putting in a huge investment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Still hunting for a cheap 35mm camera to take into the third world next year. drat hipsters driving prices up. Currently bidding on a ricoh auto 35 which sounds fascinating. Looks quite insane too.

Very sci fi. I've googled a bunch on it and all i know is that it's got a rangefinder mechanism and a selenium meter, which is all the better since i want to take this into africa next year and i don't really want to know about fiddly lithium batteries or mercury ones that don't exist anymore. I don't suppose any of the wise goons out there might be able to tell me more about it?

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
I'm trying to spend under $50NZD (a bit less than $40USD)

It's not a hard limit, but it's just thati'm preparing to work in tanzania or zambia next year as a medical student and i just want to be able to bring a camera that won't make me very sad if something happens to it. If i was going to I'd prefer something with a rangefinder and shooting manual because hey, if i go film i figure i might as well go all out and get some nostalgic fun.

For some reason locally there's a ridiculous amount of demand for classic cameras, and i've seen a himatic 7s which according to the internet has no collector value go for like 150 NZD. So i'm trawling thrift stores and bottom feeding the local auction sites.

Also, as an aside, I'm kinda debating brining my current camera (I own a relatively cheap (in photography money) low end DSLR, but for a student it still isn't that cheap.)

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Just get insurance on it (renter's or homeowners will often do the trick) and get/bring a nicer camera.

That's probably the best advice. Thanks for that pompous.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Where do you guys find old 60's and 70's rangefinders? I keep trying our equivalent of ebay, but I either get people better off than me paying 200 dollars for old XA's, and just now I had a woman try to push a Canonet 19 for 300 dollars...

I keep trying to flirt with film, but dang it, the camera gods aren't making it easy.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

General Gingersnap posted:

Maybe I should start a thread about fixing up 1970's midrange rangefinders. Will anyone be interested?

Very interested. I just snagged a 'well kept' but as is Canonet 19 for 20 dollars, and while my fingers are crossed, I'm not holding my breath for a fully awesome one. From what i'm reading I'm imagining I need to probably at least clean the battery terminals and swap out the light seals. I'm not quite confident fixing a sticky shutter that I've read so much about Canonets...

However, right now, my biggest challenge is holding in my excitement while I wait for the thing in the mail. :toot:

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Blast. Just got my Canonet but the diaphram is shot, doesn't open up pas around f/4 and the viewfinder looks like it's toast, framelines floats around and the aperture display is not functional. To tune it up costs over a hundred... well I can keep hunting, and keep this one for parts, but yeesh. That was disappointing.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Camerapedia says it has a "Multi-autofocus 38-115mm (f/4.5-9.7) zoom lens."

Wouldn't exactly hold my breath for amazing results, but it might fill in as a complete dag camera when you don't want to bring anything fancier.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
I love my canonet, and I love film. That is all.

Expressive hands by trambopaline, on Flickr

Lonely by trambopaline, on Flickr

Colour by trambopaline, on Flickr

Panel by trambopaline, on Flickr

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 21, 2011

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
I went to China with a Canonet. Crosspost from SAD

Subway by trambopaline, on Flickr

Prayers by trambopaline, on Flickr

Pathways by trambopaline, on Flickr

Tai Chi by trambopaline, on Flickr

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 30, 2012

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Actually the irony is that I've been using Lucky the whole time because it's half the price of Kodak Gold in New Zealand, and I went all the way there to pick up cheap Tri-X and Kodak Gold. All the shots are on Lucky.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

XTimmy posted:

Is it just because I live in a country less than 150 years old or have Canonet prices loving shot up since the OP was written in '11.

I would have guessed New Zealand, but there really is hundreds of aboriginal history and independence was granted just 160 years ago.

I have an original model canonet which as far as I can tell are still reasonably priced. Their cons compared to the QL's generally are quite forgivable:

-Selenium meter, but the QL's all have CdS's that need mercury batteries.
-More difficult to load than the QL's, but it's easy to pick up after a couple rolls. If you get a changing bag you can still squeeze out 39-ish exposures on a 36 roll, otherwise you're stuck with 36.
-Have issues with sticky shutters that are hard to rebuild, but I think the QL series also share this problem?
-Kinda huge and chunky and heavy, built with lots of metal components which is a pro or a con depending on how you feel.

quote:

Also I really don't like how this entire thread has basically turned into the "Go on ebay and buy the first ten epics you see because it's THE BESSSSSSST" but the zooms are poop so stop buying them regardless of how cheap they may be at your Goodwill and just get the non-zoom model.

Also as a side note I wanna add a plug to the original Mju-1 with the f/3.5, nobody gives any love to the non epics in general on the internet. I have one and I know the shutter doesn't have such a huge range and the lens is marginally worse, but I've taken some of my favourite photos on that thing. I also consider it much prettier than the epic. :colbert:

I'm starting to realise all my cameras are just slightly inferior versions of cool kid's cameras... :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
I love my Olympus Mju-1.

St Mary's

Hamilton Lake

• Locked thread