Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Would it be worth getting this thing to work again ? It's been in a drawer for 10 years and the battery still has juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Got around to playing with the XA: I can't focus for poo poo and half the roll isn't salvageable, but I really like the results.

I'll keep a roll in this thing but f/2.8 won't work for me until I figure how to focus.
Somebody asked me if it was "a disposable camera" btw.

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 22, 2013

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"How do I focus ?"

"I dunno lol"

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ExecuDork posted:

I picked up this Olympus Infinity today for $4, and it came with a neat little snap-on 1.3x teleconverter. Everything appears to be in great shape, no real scratches or anything on the body and the foam inside seems fully intact.

Olympus Infinity 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

Olympus Infinity 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

The battery I ordered cost more than $6, and will probably take a month to get here.

I just blasted through the last 10 pages (and 2 years) of this thread, and I saw mightaswell had put up some kind of advertisement for this camera that strongly suggested it was water resistant. Did I get that lucky?

I've found my mother's similar looking Olympus AF1 in a drawer last month, sitting there unused for a more than a decade.

I opened the slider and inadvertently pushed the shutter. It flashed my stupid face without a hiccup and advanced the roll for the next shot. It does'nt say much about how weatherproof it is but still :stare:

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 8, 2014

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Those colors :swoon:

Even night drunk handeld stuff comes out ok

I feel like discovering film for the first time, now hopefully I will go through this roll of Portra before the end of the year. A bit worried about a light leak though.

vvv
Those two are particularly blue but that's what the prints look like irl

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 14, 2014

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Some prints then ? It's another picture I took that night, everything looks ok I think:

vvv
Are you implying the first two could be edited to look better or are they all defective in your opinion ? Not starting an argument here but I'm fairly new to film so I'm curious and actually don't always know what to expect in the end.

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 14, 2014

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ansel autisms posted:

Film isn't magic. Edit your scans just like you'd edit an image off of a digital camera.

Super quick curves change in GIMP. Red curve up a tiny bit and green curve down a tiny bit.

Well poo poo :stare:

Thank you !

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks
I took those with my XA and some fake Portra I bought online. There's some quick heavy-handed color edits to reduce the original heinous blue cast.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MrBlandAverage posted:

..."fake Portra"? Please explain.

It was a Portra 400 roll I got from HolgaDirect.
I haven't looked much into it but when I brought the roll to the shop for processing the guy warned me that "it's chinese stuff with different chemicals, it's going to be blue" and implied that there were rolls of different quality around because :words: I don't think he gave me a precise explanation.

The prints are really really blue :smith:. I've had him develop lovely expired rolls before with excellent results so I'm inclined to believe that he's not completely bullshitting me.

My main problem with the XA at the moment is to get the focusing working correctly though, any picture where the subject is less than 2m away is woefully out of focus. I'm pretty sure I paid attention each time so I'm thinking I'll have to open this thing again and try to recalibrate the whatitscalled.

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 21, 2014

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ansel autisms posted:

Can you post a picture of the edge markings? "Blue" prints sounds like a lovely lab, not lovely film.

this ?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ansel autisms posted:

yep, get a scanner and don't trust that guy anymore

OK. There's a pro lab on the other side of town, I'll probably check next time when I can afford it.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

It kinda works well as a series imo

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
welp just bought this particular piece of poo poo

FIxed focus and shutter speed, I don't even know how it's supposed to work

5€ and I got 3 rolls of kodak gold and agfa something so I consider this a clear win

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 19, 2016

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Do you know why your exposure is faded along the bottom like that? Everything I take in low light with my Minolta XD11 comes out with the same effect...

The negative was creased lenghtwise, I think my scanner picked up a reflection. The other photos don't have this.

e: I had a print done at a shop and there's the same thing at the bottom except the photo looks shittier than my flatbed scan, which is quite a feat.

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 26, 2016

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Awkward Davies posted:

Epson v600, why?

I have a v600 and never got scans this good

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BlackMK4 posted:

I thought Fuji Superia was -known- for doing that to people with... god, I don't even know how to say this without bringing race into it... white skin. Maybe I'm confused.

Color and photography are related yes

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
XAs rule so goddamn hard

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 19, 2016

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy