Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
A few years ago I was on a vintage rangeifnder/P&S buying spree. I ended up finding an Olympus XA4 Macro at a Salvation Army for $5. I didn't like the zone focusing, so I sold it on eBay for $90+ and used the money to buy both a CAnon QL17-GIII and a Yashica Electro 35-GSN.

The Ql-17 GIII is absolutely my favorite ever walk around camera, just so much fun to use and such a solid
little camera. You shouldn't hesitate about picking one up!

This Tree Has No Place in a Graveyard by UnbreakableComb, on Flickr

Also, I cant believe no one has posted the Vivitar Ultra Wide and Slim yet! Such an awesome/fun camera, you dont even have to think about exposure, theres only one speed!

This isn't my picture, but you get the idea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Boiler posted:

How's the Yashica overall? Worth getting?

The great thing about the Electro 35-GSN is that it was primarily an aperture priority camera. This was one of the few advantages (in my mind) it had over the QL17-GIII. However, there were a few things operationally that I didn't like. I felt that the viewfinder was not as good as the Canon's, and also the body felt a little big, almost like there was wasted space inside. The QL-17 feels like a solid little brick of a camera, and theres something about that feel that the GSN just lacks. In terms of quality of photos, they both produce great, sharp results, although I found focusing to be far easier on the QL-17 GIII. I should also note that the shutter button on mine was a little wonky, so the 'over/under' exposure lights didn't go off most of the time.

However, in terms of bang-for-your-buck for 70's/80's Rangefinders, you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal than the Electro 35 or QL-17. I'd say if you prefer aperture priority, go with the Yashica.

Here's a picture of my old camera collection, i've since sold most of these:

The Arsenal by UnbreakableComb, on Flickr

Looking at this picture now, I realize how much I love the QL-17, it's such a great camera design. If someone is rich, they should pick up this rare black model on ebay (although I think its overpriced)!

frogbs fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 27, 2011

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

General Gingersnap posted:

Just wait and search craiglist. I just restored a Canonet ql19 I got off craigslist for around $30. I got my XA off KEH for $45 with a flash. I hear the bay area is the best place for camera thrifting though, but Texas isn't too bad. Maybe I should start a thread about fixing up 1970's midrange rangefinders. Will anyone be interested?

As someone who has a QL17-GIII and a Yashica Electro 35 GSN in need of a little maintenance, i'd be very interested!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I just found this Minox 35 GT at an antique shop for $5. Did I get a good deal? Seems to meter fine and the shutter still fires!

• Locked thread