Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Sweet, I thought for sure some jerk would snipe me at 230am and steal my new Konica Auto S3 in my sleep, but alas, no one did :) Might've over payed a tad, but whatever, it looks sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Electrical tape.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
What, you can't put tape over the flash? (it is a joke)

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Got my Konica Auto S3 today, a little more beat up than the ebay guy said it was, but I'm still stoked...now if only I could find a battery for it :(

Also, for you guys who want to try and bid on this...supposedly a brand new never used or opened Konica Auto S3 original packaging and all; http://cgi.ebay.com/Konica-Auto-S3-35-mm-camera-never-been-used-/250780671630

edit; question

"this website says posted:

The Konica uses the much maligned PX675 mercury battery that is no longer available in the U.S. An alkaline or silver-oxide 375 battery will also work but the meter will read slightly fast, so you have to compensate using the ISO dial.

The meter actually shows the F-Stop...and I control the shutter via a dial on the lens. Is the difference going to be negligible you think? I believe the replacement battery is .2 more volts so...should I shoot at an ISO setting one setting lower than the film's ISO? I mean... its kind of a big step from 800 to 400. The camera is Shutter Priority..so I guess it auto F-Stops for me. So I can either slow the shutter or change the ISO dial...but I don't know how much either way.

I'm gonna write down my settings on each shot anyway and see the differences...but I'd like to know for sure.

I'm new to real film.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 3, 2011

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

No gently caress off I'm bidding on the same one :mad:

Sorry! I'm actually not bidding on it, I just got mine in the mail and I'm STOKED.

GWBBQ posted:

Use size 675 zinc-air hearing aid batteries, they have the same actual voltage as the mercury batteries. They go bad after a few weeks since they react with air to produce power but you won't fry anything in your camera and your meter will read correctly.

Awesome, thanks man!

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

jump on it. we can be Minilux bros. Go against the goon grain!!

crosspost from PAD, two new pix from my Konica Auto S3:

Getting me even more stoked on my wife's Konica Auto S3. What flash did you use? What flash should I get? I know absolute poo poo about real film, and jumped on an Auto S3 on ebay to buy for her...but I know old cameras don't work with new hotshoe flashes...right? So my SB-600 (nikon) wouldn't quite work correct?

Help me help my wife take awesome pictures like you.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I have no idea what that means...

Are you saying I can put my SB-600 on the Auto S3, and it'll do some voodoo work measuring the ambient light and my flash's power?

Is there a site explaining this so a newb like me can figure it out?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I see it, are you using chrome? Sometimes I'll upload something and post it on the forums, and then the images won't appear. Saw another poster say that clearing the cache fixes it, but I haven't tried yet.

Anyway, those are pretty sweet.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Well I guess I learned the hard way not to shoot more exposures than you have in the roll. Probably only lost like 5 shots all jammed up, but it was a test roll anyway to see what this Konica S3 is all about.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Man...the E-Bay ad said the light seal thingamajig should be fine but you might want to replace it. Well, I imagine that was a lie because nothing came out. I'll try another roll tonight and get it developed tomorrow, but I'm dropping the camera off at a repair place tomorrow to have it looked over through and through, I want this bad boy working before my vacation in San Francisco next week.

But if I get some shots tonight I'll post em tomorrow.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
So the goddamn Konica has bad water damage and the light shields are shot and its not worth 10 bucks according to the camera repair shop...So now I have to pay 15 bucks for a quote so they can document the damage and I can try to return this thing...E-Bay seller is a prick, DONT BUY FROM gsjy24187 on ebay.

gsjy24187 posted:

This is used Konica Auto S3 rangefinder. The meter works. I ran through a couple of films and it turned out good, but the cosmetics may not be good based on your standard. There is a dent on the top and a number engraved on the top plate by the previous owner. There are scratches here and there. The front glass has some marks if you look very carefully at very close distance. The light seal needs to be replaced, but I don't have the light leaks problem in my pictures. The film that I took using this camera turned out surprisingly good for me. The camera will be sold as is. There is no return, this is final sale. The battery is not included. The shipping will be 12 by USPS priority mail. International shipping will be 35 by USPS EMS. Thank you for watching.

I'm hoping because his description is false I can return it and go through e-bay, or threaten to go through ebay and wreck his 100% positive feedback and hopefully he'll just give me the money back.

Buuuuut they had a Nikkormat that was pristine for 180 so I told my wife to buy it. Because she's so drat sexy and he's sympathetic that I got ripped off he's giving us the the Nikkormat and the quote for the repair for $165.

So, if I can actually get my money back for this Konica I'll actually come out on top..generally speaking, but I doubt I will. $100 bucks down the drain...and that camera shop has a minolta Hi-Matic 7s2 for $99, I wish I knew about that place before I bought on e-bay. Whatever though...live and learn.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 10, 2011

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I'm just shooting on some ISO 400 Kodak Gold poo poo I got from CVS, good thing too cause the first two rolls were blown out. After this though, I'm gonna try the porta.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
^ The whole entire thing was whatever color the film is, dark brown and completely transparent (but still that brown color, just see through). There wasn't really any distinguishing between frames just one long strip of transparent brown.

Beastruction posted:

gently caress yeah shutter speed around the lens where it belongs.

Man I just my first shots with this thing and I loving love it. Doesn't really belong in this thread cause of the SLR, but goddamn, I'm glad I ended up with it cause I don't really dig aperture priority. And $150 with a 50mm lens is pretty good, from what I've researched.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 11, 2011

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Yea those go for 100-150 depending on the condition....I paid 100 for one in terrible cosmetic condition.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Hokey doke. I'll try to write a proper OP up for that by this weekend or something.

Totally down for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

You jerk. The local photo store wants two hundred dollars for Seagulls. (okay maybe they're the jerks)

I wish my dad was still going on business trips to China... he got me a stack of really nice calligraphy/sumi-e brushes for cheap from one of those markets when I was in a college ink painting class, but he's changed fields since then and probably won't be going back anymore.

I'll be going on a business trip to China later this year, mainland too. I think Hangzhou, Shenzhen, and maybe other place in the mainland. I'll keep an eye out for some poo poo to bring back for dorkroom goons.

• Locked thread