Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boiler
Dec 23, 2004
Shut up phone
I picked up a Canon Sure Shot WP-1 from a tiny thrift store in rural Texas, along with a Minolta 5000i and a camera bag, for the grand sum of $5.

Canon Sure Shot WP-1 by John Kratz, on Flickr

(Not my pic, hope linking to it like this is alright)

I'm pleased with it so far. It's a little bulky, I assume due to the water proofing, and the lens isn't particularly fast at f/3.5 but it is pretty wide at 32mm.

Eagle // East Austin by Craig F, on Flickr

<3 FIN // East Austin by Craig F, on Flickr

Mr Whelan // Zilker Kite Festival by Craig F, on Flickr

It's a little prone to flare, though.

"East Side" // East Austin by Craig F, on Flickr

I've just finished a roll where I actually got the camera wet, so we'll see how waterproof it is later this week. I have proved that it floats though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boiler
Dec 23, 2004
Shut up phone

kmcormick9 posted:

Scored this guy on the free section of craigslist

ZSG_0433 by kmcormick9, on Flickr

Batteries for the meter were severely corroded, so I have to get that cleaned up and find new ones and pray the meter works. Everything else works.
Even got some Pentax Super 110 lenses in the bag too.

This post inspired me to do a Craiglist search of my own. There's a Yashica Electro 35 GSN for sale that I think I'll buy. I've been wanting a rangefinder for a while and these seem pretty nice.

What 110 lenses did you get?

Boiler
Dec 23, 2004
Shut up phone

frogbs posted:

A few years ago I was on a vintage rangeifnder/P&S buying spree. I ended up finding an Olympus XA4 Macro at a Salvation Army for $5. I didn't like the zone focusing, so I sold it on eBay for $90+ and used the money to buy both a CAnon QL17-GIII and a Yashica Electro 35-GSN.

How's the Yashica overall? Worth getting?

Boiler
Dec 23, 2004
Shut up phone

frogbs posted:

The great thing about the Electro 35-GSN is that it was primarily an aperture priority camera. This was one of the few advantages (in my mind) it had over the QL17-GIII. However, there were a few things operationally that I didn't like. I felt that the viewfinder was not as good as the Canon's, and also the body felt a little big, almost like there was wasted space inside. The QL-17 feels like a solid little brick of a camera, and theres something about that feel that the GSN just lacks. In terms of quality of photos, they both produce great, sharp results, although I found focusing to be far easier on the QL-17 GIII. I should also note that the shutter button on mine was a little wonky, so the 'over/under' exposure lights didn't go off most of the time.

However, in terms of bang-for-your-buck for 70's/80's Rangefinders, you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal than the Electro 35 or QL-17. I'd say if you prefer aperture priority, go with the Yashica.

Thanks for the input. I'll get the Electro 35 that I've been looking at then. I've been keeping an eye out for a QL17 or QL19 on Craigslist and the local thrift stores without any luck, but it doesn't seem the Yashica is too much of a compromise.

Boiler
Dec 23, 2004
Shut up phone
Well the $5 waterproof Canon is definitely waterproof.

Dog days at Barton Creek, Austin by Craig F, on Flickr

Although I do need to be more careful about water on the lens. I'm used to SLRs where you can see it easily.

Doggy conference at Barton Creek by Craig F, on Flickr

This was also my first roll with Fuji Superia, rather than Kodak Ultramax. The greens and blues really are quite amazing.

Dog days at Barton Creek, Austin by Craig F, on Flickr

• Locked thread