Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice
What's the best film option for my XA-2 to get a nice grainy, glowing result in mostly daytime urban conditions? I'm liking the look of the photos in this thread from 100 speed shot at 400 asa, I think. Can anyone comment on the advisability of using that big A11 side flash with this type of film? I don't want it to end up totally overblown or anything.

I'm just looking for a departure from 400@400, as it is mostly boring and standard looking (as in, the colors are all represented accurately).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah, that is a pretty retarded question, now that I read it again. I was only going for something so specific because this whole thread seems to be filled with the merits of the XA-2, various speed films in it, and the use of the A11 side flash.

Really, I need some educatin' on using slower speed film bumped up a few notches. That will typically allow more light to soak in and give your pictures a more glowing feel, right? I do want to avoid completely ruining the roll of film by using that big flash and blowing out everything I shoot.

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice

Paul MaudDib posted:

It shouldn't "glow" as that's likely bloom caused by a lovely anti-halation layer or a flare-prone lens. Overexposure will cause really high contrast - when you're out of the film's designed range, the film will tend to expose completely or not at all, and you end up (hopefully) stretching the middle tones out or (probably) with a very limited range. If you want grain in a 400 speed film go buy Tri-X or HP5, they will have plenty of it. Or, get a crappy 100 speed film like Foma (or maybe Efke?) and shoot your lens close to wide open (I don't know the XA2 program, you're on your own).

Clearly I don't know a drat thing about "film" except for that I don't particularly like how my photos look. Perhaps it was the generic kodak 400 speed I loaded into it, and the conditions in which I shot it. I seemed to get too much brightness in outdoor light settings, and too much grain in underlit scenarios (using the flash or not), and indoor lighting yielded pretty boring accurate colors.

People seem to be getting cooler results with this camera, so I'm just going to grab some different speed films, use the flash with some and not with others, dick around with the ASA settings, and see what I come up with. That's how I'm supposed to do it, right?

• Locked thread