Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Hey guys. So my Konica Auto S3 just came in the mail and I have to say it is one of the nicest cameras I've ever seen, let alone owned. That being said, it has no battery, and the battery it uses is banned because of mercury content. It's not unusable, but it means the excellent meter is unusable and the f/stop is left wide open at f/1.8.

Can anyone help me find a 1.35V EPX-675 Mercury Battery without getting mad hatter's disease??

If I'm interpreting it right, Photoethnography says you can use an alkaline or silver 675 battery and it will just read a stop high.

(it says "An alkaline or silver-oxide 375 battery" and "675 silver-mercury" but neither of those are real things so I assume they're typos on the theme of "675 silver-oxide")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

General Gingersnap posted:

I cant believe people are trying to get $200+ for XA2s on ebay, thats just ridiculous. I am still kicking myself for not buying one that I saw for around $30 at a thrift shop, but whtevz

"I tried to sell it, but no one would buy!"

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
I know of two animes nominally about photography but they're both bad. (Flag and Speed Grapher)

Does anybody know anything about the Canon Sure Shot? I'm looking for something cheap and small I can shove in a bag or coat pocket when an SLR is too bulky to carry around all day, and the Sure Shot seems like the cheapest f/2.8 compact available on ebay.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
That might be good too... It looks like the lens and grip stick out a bit more, and it doesn't have the built in lens cover, but f/1.9 would be very useful.

fake edit: Apparently it's loud and the AF isn't very good.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Nannypea posted:

I have several Canon P&S cameras. I can dig them out if you are interested. They would be MUCH cheaper than $25. I'm talking $10 shipped. :catstare:

Maybe if there's a fast lens on one of them, but I think I might let the P&S idea wait until I feel like spending enough to get a good one. My DSLR fits well enough in my bag if I don't bring extra books.

Reichstag posted:

I'm a big fan of my mju-II, but there is one thing that pisses me off about it, there is no way to permanently turn off the flash, every time I slide the cover open I have to turn it off again. I might consider getting rid of one of my serious cameras in exchange for a contax t3.

It's too bad you can't hack the firmware on it.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Canon G-III 17! A wildly popular Canon camera from the 80s, should be incredibly easy to find, has a good meter (a spot meter, I believe) and should only run you about $20 on eBay. $40 max. f/1.7 lens!! 40mm

I think all the QL17s I've seen ended up closer to $40, the Canonet 19 is in the $20 range.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

RizieN posted:

Nikkormat

gently caress yeah shutter speed around the lens where it belongs.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Is anywhere local (not Wal-Mart/Sam's Club etc) going to be under $15/roll? That's around the price I was quoted both places I asked + what CVS charges for 1-hour ($9 for 24 exp w/prints, I think they just prorate up from there).

Kind of makes sense, Dwayne's is close to $15 for the first roll anyway right? (outgoing shipping + $5 + $4.50 return shipping)

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

RustedChrome posted:

I picked up a Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim, new in the box, for less than the price of the Superheadz clone. It's just big enough to hold the roll of film and it weighs nothing. The only controls are the shutter button and the film advance knob. Fixed focus, f/22 and 1/125 shutter speed

I think it's actually 22mm and f/11, f/22 would be totally crazy for exposure and DOF is already huge on such a wide lens.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
I think it's waterproof too.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
I think they're around $30 on ebay, along with the Superheadz rebadge/recolor versions.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
I've half wanted one ever since Tokyo Camera Style posted about them, but never quite felt like spending that much on a camera with a cheap plastic lens.

http://tokyocamerastyle.com/post/307793498/okubo-this-is-a-35mm-tlr-camera-which-comes-as-a

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Well, based on the sample pictures it would probably end up spending a lot of time on my shelf collecting dust, and I already have enough stuff doing that. The original Japanese magazine version would at least have something to turn it into a decent display but that's more like $60+ shipped.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
I used sensor cleaning solution which I think is just alcohol too.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
A twist and shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

penneydude posted:

Some day someone somewhere will invent a black and white lens, and that label will gain meaning

Doesn't it technically refer to having corrections or coatings to account for different wavelengths of light refracting slightly differently?

• Locked thread