Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I got an Olympus DC for my first rangefinder, nifty little camera. The 40mm 1.7 lens is something else. manual override would be nice, but tri-x/portra at 800 (wish the camera did 1600) with the 1.7 lens can work in some pretty dark places.

going to work by Sean Beck, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

seems silly to have a point and shoot AND compact rangefinder thread. i think it works (i'm also biased cause i want to post my rangefinder pics in here)

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i think this is the last roll i'll put through my olympus dc. it's no longer winds the film properly, getting tons of half overlapped exposures. seriously great camera tho. the bokeh is very different.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

maybe everyone is very drunk ;)

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Red_Fred posted:

I'm going on a 4.5 month backpacking trip in just over a week. I currently don't have a camera except for my phone (Nexus 5X), am I going to really benefit from getting a camera? I used to have a Nikon D80 but found that I just didn't really take it out that much because it was such a hassle.

I guess what I'm asking is it worth using a camera over your phone if you're a lovely photographer?

Sounds like you need a leica.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

good picture and acadia is good too.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

badass

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

XA2 and L35AF are both good choices. I'd probably consider some of the slightly older Olympus rangefinders too, like the RC or DC. You can get those for dirt cheap and they have great lenses.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

on the subject of olympus xa

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 19, 2016

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Awkward Davies posted:

I'm a little sick of my XA/XA2's various problems. If I were willing to spend a fair amount of money on a point and shoot (I dunno, up to $300?), what should I buy? GR1?

GR1's are closer to $400-500. Olympus Mju might be worth checking out, the ones with the 35mm prime lens are basically a newer XA.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

carles lives on in our hearts

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Cacator posted:

Ended up with the Fuji DL Super Mini (although mine is called the Cardia Mini Tiara), my usual travel compact is a Rollei 35 SE but it was nice to have something that's considerably less fussy and it's even smaller too!

this is cool

• Locked thread