Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Frobbe posted:

No pictures but a question.

I've got an Olympus mju -I and a mju -II, Stylus and Stylus Epic as they're known elsewhere. I've got a cousin that wants to futz around with film, so i want to give him one of these. i'm thinking the mju -I would be the best since it's ultra cheap, somewhat hardy and easy to operate. Am i right in thinking that?

They're great for a P+S, but they don't have manual aperture controls and such, which could be what he's expecting with "film camera".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

CRAYON posted:

I might try this if I'm feeling DIY because I don't really feel like spending twice as much as I spent on the camera for a battery adapter.

The ghetto solution to this is to go buy a pack of 675-type hearing aid batteries and wad tinfoil in there until everything fits right. Or buy a Wein cell, use it till it's dead, and then take a screwdriver and pry off the adapter, which just fits a standard 675 cell.

Adapters are a long-term purchase. If you do a lot of thrift-store hunting you will eventually run into more cameras that use mercury-cell batteries and need the adapter. I understand the feeling of not wanting to spend 10x the money on the parts as you spent on the camera itself, but sooner or later you'll run into something cool that uses it. My Rollei 35S uses Wein cells, I think my Spotmatics use Wein cells, mercury cells were really common in cameras of a certain age. Buy a cheap one off eBay or something and just shuffle it between cameras.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 3, 2014

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

My biggest gripe with Epics is the spotty focusing. The best piece of advice for any new Epic owners is to become very familiar with the zone focusing and use it all the time otherwise you end up with photos like this;

I'm assuming you meant "XA" there, because the Epic has pretty reliable autofocus in my experience. In fact it's pretty reliable everything, and it usually even does a pretty good job with fill flash without causing highlights.

Yeah the XA's rangefinder is definitely a bit on the gimmicky side. I think of it as mostly being important out to about 10ft and then you just shoot hyperfocal. Don't even worry about it, a wide-angle lens near infinity is real forgiving and assuming you don't bump the focus tab you're more likely to see motion blur than missed focus.

Of course then you go to a camera like the Rollei 35 and I would kill to have a rangefinder because close up is where focus accuracy matters the most :negative:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 24, 2014

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

deaders posted:

So the Olympus XA lives up to the hype, you don't even need to focus and it still comes out pretty sharp.

Absolutely, mine has definitely earned a place in my travel kit. GS645 folder with a normal-ish Planar, plus the XA for wide - very light, very small, and I get a shitload of versatility out of it in terms of available FoV and multiple films, meters, etc.

It's also pretty wicked in low light, especially since mine meters at 1600.

• Locked thread