Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis
You bastard. That should be 3 or 4 times as much in working condition (if not more), right? Great find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis
I'm looking at an Olympus XA on Craigslist and the seller didn't ask for a specific price (just "make some offers" for a few film/digital point and shoots and an old Polaroid, he didn't even list a model till I recognized it in the photo and asked him whether it was the XA or XA2/3/4). What would be a reasonable offer to make here? I'm thinking 30 or 40, is that too much of a lowball?

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis
:woop: Lookin at that XA sometime soon. I'm gonna pick up some SR44 batteries for it ahead of time so I can check the meter and shutter, is there anything else in particular that I should look out for? I know these things have a habit of breaking but I'm not sure how they generally tend to go bad.

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis
Picked up that XA today, and the seller tossed in an A16 flash she found in the camera bag. Unfortulately, the batteries had leaked in the flash at some point and it was pretty bad - I smacked it with my hand and huge chunks of battery crud started pouring out. I cleaned it up as best as I could, but it just gives the charging whine forever without lighting up the "ready" lamp on top, and I gave up when I could feel the batteries heating up inside. I assume the flash is hosed? I'm not too upset cause I'd only thrown in an extra $5 for it, just wish I'd thought to look inside but it was kind of an afterthought. The camera itself is in great shape so I'm still pretty drat happy here.

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis
I couldn't get it to fire via the camera after a couple minutes of charging, but based on that article I guess I should just try letting it charge a little while longer with breaks for the batteries to cool back down. I don't have access to any sort of power supply that could deliver the capacitor's rated voltage (I assume it's in the hundreds of volts), so if the flash's own circuitry can't do the job then I guess I'll have to toss it.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, how long ago did 3M quit making film? They tossed in a couple rolls of K-Mart branded stuff that says "Made by 3M" and I'm wondering whether it's even worth trying to get processed. (Or should I shoot it all for that "artsy" expired film look?)

Beerios fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 14, 2011

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis
The Superheadz ones are just differently-colored copies of the original Vivitar, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis

GWBBQ posted:

That disintegrating foam will stick to your film and ruin it, if it's not so gummed up that you can't advance the film at all.

Oh gently caress me is that where all the dust spots on my test roll came from? I just assumed the minilab monkeys trashed my film and loaded it back up with some nice 160VC.

• Locked thread