Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Skip My Posts posted:

I haven’t seen much of usman. Is he gonna have poo poo for woodley?

It's possible that he's a marginally better wrestler, but he's clearly a worse striker and doesn't seem to be able to finish people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Skip My Posts posted:

rory would beat tyron down again

Maybe, but Tyron has improved a bit since then, and Rory has taken a staggering amount of damage between the Lawler, Thompson, and Lima fights.

But yeah Rory is pretty much the blueprint for how to beat Tyron - good enough wrestling to make it so that Tyron can't easily outwrestle him, good outside striking, and good cardio. Psychotic fearlessness helps too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Biafraid posted:

That mousasi fight did him no favours either

Holy poo poo I had entirely forgotten about that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dave Branch typically has some of the worst, most boring fights you can find, but he has also produced some of the most devestating finishes I've ever seen, including slams and big one punch KOs.

Jack Hermansson is tough as gently caress and a good finisher. He seperated a rib in round 1 of one fight and then won by submission in round 2. He's mostly a grappler, though Dave Branch is also a highly respected grappleman from an elite grappleteam.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Don't bet on Bethe. Aldana is a competent enough boxer that she should be able to win three rounds with just her jab against Bethe's haymakers..

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Arnie Allen is also on a 5-fight winning streak in a deep division. Gil is a big experience step up for Allen, but Gil is also an underdog for a reason.

Also consider that Gil's last win was 6 years ago, before Allen made his UFC debut.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

7/8 JaySB. My condolences.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

jase1 posted:

1k on Izzy to win by Ko Tko or sub at +150
1k on blachowitz +200

1k parlay on both of those picks as well.

I like your izzy bet but not your Blachowitz bet. He has fought a lower tier of opponents than Reyes, and three of his last four opponents were bloated middleweights, two in their "pls retire :smith:" phase of their career. The last time he fought a championship-level light heavyweight (if we can call Santos that) he got KOed. Meanwhile, even though Reyes has one such win vs Weidman, he also has wins over two light heavyweight title challengers and he arguably beat Jon Jones. I don't think I'd start looking at Jan as a value bet until he was better than +350.

We'll see though. If I were confident I'd be betting myself.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Crom bless Jase1

There you go. I was wrong.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brut posted:

I'm willing to listen if you make a strong case for this (or obtain some consensus) but I feel like you're better off creating a parallel thread in PITR, it's okay if both forums have similar threads.

The best case to make is that if this thread stays as a single thread, the discussion will be in one place, and if it gets moved to PITR it will be more likely to be seen by non-mma posters, who will then come and post in the mma threads maybe sometimes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

jase1 posted:

2k on Kyler Phillips @+125
2k on Megan Anderson @+600
5k on Adesanya @-235

Lots of money must be coming in on Anderson because she was running beyond 800 on the weekend and beyond 700 yesterday.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Megan is 4 inches taller than Nunes

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Horse Inspector posted:

There looks like a tonne a good value can be found on this card. I'm interested to know if you had to pick one underdog from it, which would you take? Tucker and Anders aren't the longest odds but look like the best value to me in that I think they both stand a really good chance of winning.

In the monthly thread we were discussing how Rafa Garcia is an interesting underdog, but that bet has all of the risks of a guy making the jump to the big leagues. TL;DR though he's a Mexican fighter (i.e. probably has good hands) who is an undefeated Combate Americas champion (has gone 5 full rounds) fighting a guy who has been KOed on the feet, and he has fought UFC vets. Apparently he also has an iron chin.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Horse Inspector posted:

GOOD LORD MAN are you trying to kill me.

Thanks, I just didn't know enough about him to have any insight. Combate is generally not a joke promotion, so that's a reasonable pedigree for him.

I do a quick breakdown of every fight for every ufc card in the monthly thread and just pull out interesting things that I find.

One fighter on this card has a Win by "Illegal Bite".

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sorry boys. Just to make sure I went down with the ship I toxxed a 24h prob on Garcia too. It was a competitive fight, at least.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

Why is Ben Askren such a massive underdog against Jake Paul? Ben is not a high level striker but he has done thousands of hours of ring time with dozens of guys that would effortlessly beat the poo poo out of Jake Paul.

Because his hips are so bad that he was scheduled to have a hip replacement

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

that hip thing was real? what is he hosed up from?

Lol yes it's real. He screwed it up wrestling. I hear that there are even points in his instructionals where he says "my hip hurts so this guy is gonna demo this move instead."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

One time I worked this out for a few fighters and the best "I bet on every one of their fights" money maker I found was Roxanne loving Modafferi. She has multiple >400 upsets on her resume.

I don't think I saved the spreadsheet.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Troy Queef posted:

wasn’t she something like +900 when she fought Barber?

Yeah I think so. At least in that ballpark

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

5 @ Condit +155
20 @ Hall +190 (this seemed like a great bet, Hall is so dangerous)
25 @ McGregor +150 (DraftKings boost)
5 @ Condit/Hall/McGregor parlay +1435

fiancee has 10 @ Dustin in R3 +900

:rip:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hey just chiming in here because I went and looked at the odds:

If Julianna Pena wins tomorrow it would be the biggest upset in UFC title history, and maybe in all of MMA history, and I'm including stuff like Silva-Takase here. The best line I'm seeing for her is +800, and imo that's nowhere near enough payout. She is 2-2 in her last 2 with embarrassing submission losses to strikers and her opponents that she beat in that frame were not good opponents. She has never KOed an opponent standing, or even hurt one as I recall, so she doesn't even have the so-called puncher's chance.

Speaking as the guy who does fight breakdowns, and knowing how some goons like to bet for fun, I'd like to caution anyone against putting long shot bets on her for shits and giggles until we start seeing the kinds of odds you'd expect for picking a team that, idk, missed the playoffs this year to win the 2022 world series or something.

(I probably just cursed Nunes, but there it is).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:psypop:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

jase1 posted:

This of course is my favorite thread ever so I figured I would share this here first because regardless of who wants to see me lose or who wants me to win it was always a loving blast.

I have successfully beaten cancer twice in my life I was diagnosed with Bladder cancer about 4 or 5 years ago and it was so small they were able to get rid of it pretty quickly then a few years later it came back and it again was cleared up after treatment. I have been diagnosed a 3rd time now and because of where it is and how far it has spread it's terminal. I have roughly 4-5 months to live with the chemo there is like a 1% chance to live maybe a year or longer. I have already started very aggressive chemo which is pretty terrible and I honestly don't know how the gently caress anyone can take that for long periods of time it's brutal. I struggled for a few weeks wondering if I would ever say anything on here about this but I didn't want to get so sick to the point that I couldn't post anymore and just disappear and I wanted to share my feelings about this community and my therapist and wife bought convinced me to talk about it.

I remember the first time I saw a link to a thread on SA I can't quite remember the full context but some guy had done something hosed up and a goon called their house and ratted him out to his mom. I may be wrong on the details but whatever it was I was fascinated and from then on I was hooked. I remember debating with my cousin if I should spend the money or not to join and he told me it was stupid. Turned out to be the best decision I ever made. I learned everything about the internet from SA from the weird to the creepy but most of all the humor is what has kept me around. It has guided me over the years and shaped who I am from my politics to the games I play and even my gambling and how I watch sports. Even though it gets a poo poo ton of grief right now D&D helped me stay informed on what was going on in the political world. SAS gave me everything I wanted in a forum from football to wrestling I could get my fix and learn about all of them. PYF had some of my favorite threads back in the day. TCC taught me how to make edibles and QCS has some of the best entertainment this forum has to offer. I don't post very much I use SA more as a vast resource space where I can find out an answer to any question I have. It's the only place on the internet I have consistently been a part of for the last 15 years. I appreciate this community more than I could ever express and I am glad it seems to be in good hands and things are changing for the better. I hope long after I am gone this thread continues because it will always be funny when someone bets on MMA and lose. Thanks to whoever created the original thread and to all the goons who started it off by losing money on Mark Coleman. Also shoutout to the dude who lost money on the undertaker I laugh about that every time I see the undertaker on tv.

I don't even know what to say, Jase. You have my complete sympathies, and my guarantee that you have easily given as much back to this community. We're rooting for you, that's for drat sure. Thanks for sharing, too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Spivak is that Moldovan guy with the Hapsburg jaw who smothered and tapped out Tai Tuivasa

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:toot:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

File photo: sad Drake

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

jase1 posted:

My bookie said I was the only one to bet on Spivac and he had bets totaling over 500k on Hardy.

I laughed.

That is an excellent detail that cannot be left out of this story. I really love that the bookie still made money on the fight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ah drat. You've let me vicariously gamble through you for years now. All the best, mate.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rename PSP to "The Great Jase Space" for a while in addition to keeping this thread title forever

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brut posted:

Are the odds on Strickland vs Pereira kind of bullshit? The man has 6 MMA fights, having it as a coinflip doesn't make sense to me.

The theory is that Pereira is a literal elite kickboxer and Strickland doesn't wrestle often (he's the top middleweight who is least likely to shoot) and defends strikes by moving backward on a straight line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Stealth Tiger posted:

It seems like all the pros were of the same mind when it came to betting the main event last night...

https://twitter.com/oocmma/status/1591677696450658304

don't bet on sports, kids