Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
One thing I did not see:
Do not bet on your favorite fighter: If you are a passionate fan, it is very hard to step back and get enough perspective to make intelligent choices. Look at the Coleman bandwagon for how perspectives can get warped.

Bj Penn is my favorite, I even bought his book. I still won 200 dollars on Edgar in their rematch, because he beat him once, was the champ and was still an underdog. Because Penn fans are dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

fatherdog posted:

I was actually planning on asking the admin if I could arrange a couple people per event to be able to make Custom Title bets with each other - no odds involved, just betting on a fight, whoever wins gets to give the loser a custom title that they have to wear for a month.

But the answer is no, it's not kosher, because even with a low limit if you're bookie-ing with Bodog odds you're essentially acting as a bookie, and that creates legal liabilities because the laws around that in the US are draconian and not well defined, and PSP is currently public-viewable.

wait, I thought people bet custom titles and stuff all the time?

:toxx:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Its been implied but no one has outright said it:

Don't bet on every card, sometimes there just is not anything worth throwing money at. Don't waste your bankroll because you feel obligated to have some action (or because you have a gambling problem). Minimizing loss is half of making profit.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Paul Pot posted:

as-salamu alaykum

If you wanna bet on a favorite, I recommend Sotiropoulos. Today I asked one of Siver's training partners about their plans once the fight hits the floor. "Try to survive, but it will be hard" - a diffident Russian

that's not really too retarded of a thing to say considering the skills sets of both guys.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

attackmole posted:

Sakara's a plus +170 underdog against a guy who's 4-0, making his UFC debut and taking the fight on three weeks notice. Sakara's had a year long layoff and really isn't that great, but I think that's a pretty solid bet.

Apparently the other guy's a wrestler (:ohdear:, pretty bad stylistic matchup) who's a good prospect but I'm not sold on him being such a solid favourite with being called in on short notice, four pro fights and a UFC debut to deal with.

European
Boxer
D1 Wrestler

look how dumb you are.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

attackmole posted:

Also put down ten bucks on noted bad fighter Rob Kimmons without watching any of his or his opponents fights by virtue of the other dude training in Asia.

I'm a degenerate gambler.

actually, Sound logic on that one.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

welp that last one just killed my MMA career.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

MoneyBall of MMA right here. We'll all be retiring to Palm Springs off our fat winnngs soon.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

"Fighters with no wrestling background vs fighters who do have one more likely lose
This was validated in 64 out of 90 (71%) fights"

hmmmm, but I thought wrestling ruined 100% of things?

just because a fighter wins or loses doesn't mean the fight is good

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Bundt Cake posted:

you probably shouldnt spend your money this way

this should be an auto sig line in every post in the betting thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Bucket Joneses posted:

The only reason I follow this thread is to check in post-fight to laugh. Thanks, guys.

someone needs to average the goon win/loss rate to see if we even break 50% on picks.

Then again, I guess all the insane parlays really messes that up since you can win $0 being right 2/3rds of the time.