Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
ok, one more question for tonight. I've got a sharepoint site and a staging site, and right now i'm using something similar to:

/ip dns static add name=123.com address=192.168.0.2

to resolve the internal IP. Is there a way to do this outside of DNS? My laptop users have ipconfig /flushdns once in a while. Say 123.com resolves to 123.123.123.123 externally. Can I instead do something like redirect all traffic outbound with a 123.123.123.123 destination to 192.168.0.2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

American Jello posted:

ok, one more question for tonight. I've got a sharepoint site and a staging site, and right now i'm using something similar to:

/ip dns static add name=123.com address=192.168.0.2

to resolve the internal IP. Is there a way to do this outside of DNS? My laptop users have ipconfig /flushdns once in a while. Say 123.com resolves to 123.123.123.123 externally. Can I instead do something like redirect all traffic outbound with a 123.123.123.123 destination to 192.168.0.2?

A NAT rule should do this for you. Set 123.... as the destination address and NAT traffic to that address to 192.x. Something like this:

/ip firewall nat add chain=dstnat action=dst-nat to-addresses=192.168.0.2 \
to-ports=80 protocol=tcp dst-address=123.123.123.123 dst-port=80

That will redirect all port 80 traffic with destination address "123.123.123.123" to your internal server. I think it will work if you leave off the ports specification. I'd prefer to be specific but who knows.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

There are several different ways to do failover on Mikrotik, but none of them seem to handle the particular weird failure mode I'm trying to cover. Doing failover by just setting two default gateways, and using check-gateway is easy, and often "good enough." I want to handle the possibility that the failure is four or five hops upstream, though. (I work for an ISP and want to handle the rare possibility that all our upstreams are broken, so the end-user could still see everything within our network but not anything beyond that.)

I don't think I can just use a simple ping test to see if Upstream 1 is up, because let's say I ping something like 4.2.2.2. My script tests it, sees it can't ping that IP, switches to the secondary connection, pings, that IP suddenly is pingable again, switches back to the primary connection that's really still broken...

Meanwhile, pinging something like my network's default gateway would have the same problem in reverse if it really is a last-mile outage.

Any suggestions on getting out of this without a bunch of really complicated and fragile scripts?

Set up an ASN and use BGP on your external connections.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
My original question was for one of my residential customers who pays fifty bucks a month for my fixed-wireless service, and wanted to fail-over to a satellite connection. Sorry if that wasn't clear; we do run BGP in the NOC.

No way in Hell you can run BGP over WildBlue. :)

(Turns out he just bought some off-the-shelf failover router, which is just fine by me, though I may still play with this at home, where I have both my employer's service and a DSL line.)

Edit: we actually used to use a PC with RouterOS for our BGP router, worked great, but the boss went all "CALEA compliance!" crazy and this was before they wrote their own CALEA package, so it got replaced with an Imagestream router. May replace the Imagestream with another RouterOS-based PC in the near future to keep up with how big the BGP table is growing...

Weird Uncle Dave fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 20, 2011

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Does anyone have any experience with this guy?
http://www.ubnt.com/unifi

Would you recommend running 2-3 of these in an office of ~25 users? Is there something better I could be running? N over 100mbit seems kind of silly to me, but I guess that's the tradeoff for PoE. The software looks pretty cool. Can I tie it into our (as of now non-existent) AD domain for authentication? Do these do better mounted on the wall or ceiling? Also I kind of dig the smoke alarm look.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

American Jello posted:

Does anyone have any experience with this guy?
http://www.ubnt.com/unifi

We have had good luck with their nanostations (with some firmware upgrades) but haven't tried that product out yet.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

My original question was for one of my residential customers who pays fifty bucks a month for my fixed-wireless service, and wanted to fail-over to a satellite connection. Sorry if that wasn't clear; we do run BGP in the NOC.

Edit: we actually used to use a PC with RouterOS for our BGP router, worked great, but the boss went all "CALEA compliance!" crazy and this was before they wrote their own CALEA package, so it got replaced with an Imagestream router. May replace the Imagestream with another RouterOS-based PC in the near future to keep up with how big the BGP table is growing...

Re: your failover question, I'm fairly certain you can specify the outbound interface for pings. You could probably set a dual homed router up with two default routes active simultaneously, and set the preferred connection to have a lower metric. When you start losing ping responses on an interface, you can flip the metric, and the router will then prefer the other route. This means you can do your testing on each interface, leave them up, but the actual internet bound traffic will just go out through the lower metric connection.

I'm not sure, however, how well the Mik scripting stuff would handle this.

As for swapping over to a Mikrotik BGP router, don't be in such a hurry. There's a memory leak when using BGP, to the point an 1100 with two sessions active starts dying and requires a reboot after ~6 weeks.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Roseo posted:

There's a memory leak when using BGP, to the point an 1100 with two sessions active starts dying and requires a reboot after ~6 weeks.
4.17 or 5.2?

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

quote:

As for swapping over to a Mikrotik BGP router, don't be in such a hurry. There's a memory leak when using BGP, to the point an 1100 with two sessions active starts dying and requires a reboot after ~6 weeks.

Hm. Lovely. There were no memory issues when we actually used a Mikrotik-running PC for our network's BGP, but that was back in 2.8 or maybe 2.9. Heck, maybe there were issues, but BGP feeds were about half the size they are now, and with 1 GB of RAM in 2005, even if there were a leak it'd probably have been years before anyone noticed.
I think, at the time, they were just using a re-badged Zebra or Quagga, and supposedly at some point they just wrote their own BGP implementation from scratch.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

There's a thread on Mikrotik's website about full feeds on RB1100. Apparently its cpu has a hard time with the updates. RouterOS on PC hardware appears to be the recomended way. I've been testing openbgpd on openbsd and that's been a very workable/inexpensive solution.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Suppose I have a box with multiple PPPOE DSL connections, thus multiple default routes of equal distance. If I just wanted to balance outgoing traffic, and NAT everything, this would be easy....

The boss' (horrible) plan for this box is to co-lo another box somewhere far away, running a PPTP server, create multiple PPTP tunnels (one per DSL line), run EOIP on those tunnels, bond each of the EOIPs together, bridge the bonded interface with a physical interface on each end, and run BGP over the bridge (remember, the far end is at a co-lo where we can get a plain Gig-E port from any of a couple dozen ISPs).

Sadly, I think I can make this work, except for this part: is it possible to create a PPTP client instance and force that PPTP client to only use a specific interface (say, one on pppoe-out1, another on pppoe-out2, and so on)? If I can do that, the rest of this nightmare should be simple by comparison.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Sadly, I think I can make this work, except for this part: is it possible to create a PPTP client instance and force that PPTP client to only use a specific interface

Pretty sure the answer is "no". I checked a live mikrotik and the manual: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/PPTP and see no way to bind the client to a particular interface. :( Sorry.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

falz posted:

4.17 or 5.2?

4.x for certain. I'm not throwing 5 on anything till it's actually mature. It may be fixed, but I doubt it.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Roseo posted:

4.x for certain. I'm not throwing 5 on anything till it's actually mature. It may be fixed, but I doubt it.
I enabled BGP on a few of them within the last month and haven't noticed any leaks (yet?). How many routes were you feeding it?

4.17 box, ~1000 bgp prefixes in RIB, ~300 from ospf. BGP was enabled between week 21/22 which is where it plateaus:

5.4 box (was 5.0, 5.2) ~5000 bgp prefixes in RIB, ~300 from ospf. BGP was enabled before the first graph but I don't remember exactly when. Odd that memory usage is more steady since it has less RAM and far more routes:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I'm considering running this on a laptop jammed in a waterproof case, running a Sierra Wireless 598U USB 3G modem and traffic out the LAN port on the laptop. Its an ancient Compaq Armada PIII 1GHz with 512MB RAM and an 80GB hard drive. I'd be definitely running the proxy, some QoS, DHCP, and not much more. Thoughts?

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.

American Jello posted:

ugh

e:http://whois.domaintools.com/202.57.42.173

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Bruteforce_login_prevention

I implemented this for FTP/SSH bruteforce attempts against our core routers at work and it's been blocking those jerk-offs rather well. I check the dynamically expanding list of blocked IPs and if I start to see a list growing some the same network (especially from China/Russia) I just add the whole netblock to the block list.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

DJ Commie posted:

I'm considering running this on a laptop jammed in a waterproof case, running a Sierra Wireless 598U USB 3G modem and traffic out the LAN port on the laptop. Its an ancient Compaq Armada PIII 1GHz with 512MB RAM and an 80GB hard drive. I'd be definitely running the proxy, some QoS, DHCP, and not much more. Thoughts?

Barring any weirdness on install, this should work very nicely. The hard drive may be the weak point as it's years old and will be nearer the end of its life but no biggie. Just back up your config once you've got it stable and then when that one dies you can throw in an SSD or something and be on your way again.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

While this is a fine idea, why not have a default deny rule to the Mikrotik via the input chain but allow trusted IPs in an address list?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

CuddleChunks posted:

Barring any weirdness on install, this should work very nicely. The hard drive may be the weak point as it's years old and will be nearer the end of its life but no biggie. Just back up your config once you've got it stable and then when that one dies you can throw in an SSD or something and be on your way again.

Awesome, thanks! The network card is an Intel Pro 100+ anyway, so it works with just about any Linux release. The drive isn't too old, being much much newer than the laptop, but yeah its really the point of failure. The connection itself is only like 3Mb/1Mb and a 50GB/mo quota so I don't think I'll be caching for than a few gigs, so maybe I'll try for a cheap SSD. If there was a Routerboard that could this (caching via IDE/CF and USB 3G modem), I'd definitely go for that over a stinky old laptop. Budget would be $250 or so before the cache disk.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 5, 2011

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.

falz posted:

While this is a fine idea, why not have a default deny rule to the Mikrotik via the input chain but allow trusted IPs in an address list?

Unfortunately my company uses FTP/SFTP to transfer files to clients at different remote locations while on the road. Since we can never be sure what IP they are coming from, and usually they are accessing it from a public Wifi/hotel access which changes IPs frequently, so trying to maintain a whitelist would be more hassle than it is worth. We've just about finished our ShareFile-like web portal which will replace this FTP/SFTP system, but until then keeping brute forcers out is a priority.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

The RB411/433 range looks to be a good idea for my purpose, though the miniPCI slots and wifi (probably) would be unused. I could just get a 32GB MicroSDHC card for the proxy cache, it'd be more than plenty probably and the read/write is still far over the speed of the Internet connection. I don't think my ISP has anything other than USB modems, since the specific Sierra 598u/Novatel U760 modem is part of the plan. I see they are both supported by RouterOS, so thats good! The less TDP, the better, as I'd love to stay away from fans as I would love to put this in a pelican case or similar. I have 30-50F Temp swings, high wind in the deployment area. External antenna for 3G probable, connected via powerline ethernet to a gigabit switch in the house. Routerboard would provide all the network services itself.

edit: Actually I can use ANY device that uses Sprint's 3G network, so if someone has a recommendation for one in MiniPCI/mPCIe or USB that definitely has an antenna connector and can be purchased sans plans of any kind, I'm all ears.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 5, 2011

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

falz posted:

I enabled BGP on a few of them within the last month and haven't noticed any leaks (yet?). How many routes were you feeding it?

2x full tables on a RB1000. At ~2 weeks of uptime it's gone from 200 MB ram free to 70 MB free. After another week or two it'll sawtooth for a while, then a week or two after that randomly drop routes, not accept SSH sessions, and generally be crappy till a reboot.

Roseo fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 7, 2011

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Sadly, I think I can make this work, except for this part: is it possible to create a PPTP client instance and force that PPTP client to only use a specific interface (say, one on pppoe-out1, another on pppoe-out2, and so on)? If I can do that, the rest of this nightmare should be simple by comparison.

Following up on myself: If you can't do it, fake it. :)

I was able to get the desired effect here by putting several IPs on the "remote" box, having each PPTP client connect to a different IP, and using policy routing (to force connections to IP1 to use pppoe-out1 as its gateway, IP2 uses pppoe-out2, and so on).

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

I was able to get the desired effect here by putting several IPs on the "remote" box, having each PPTP client connect to a different IP, and using policy routing (to force connections to IP1 to use pppoe-out1 as its gateway, IP2 uses pppoe-out2, and so on).

Nice solution. Now document it so the next poor bastard doesn't wonder what crack you were smoking.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Roseo posted:

2x full tables on a RB1000. At ~2 weeks of uptime it's gone from 200 MB ram free to 70 MB free. After another week or two it'll sawtooth for a while, then a week or two after that randomly drop routes, not accept SSH sessions, and generally be crappy till a reboot.
Ouch. I wonder if this is architecture specific? I thought most that ran RouterOS with full tables did so on x86 and not MIPS since the hardware handled it better.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

CuddleChunks posted:

Nice solution. Now document it so the next poor bastard doesn't wonder what crack you were smoking.

As soon as it's all up and running, and the other end of this nightmare is safely racked in a co-lo, a very long article in the in-house wiki will be written. I may try to MS Paint an onion, showing the PPPOE, PPTP, EOIP, bonding, bridge, and finally BGP, just to make someone cry.

krackpot
Apr 24, 2011
Anyone upgrade from 4.17 to 5.4?

What's the process? Backup settings, upgrade, check settings migrated correctly?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

krackpot posted:

Anyone upgrade from 4.17 to 5.4?

What's the process? Backup settings, upgrade, check settings migrated correctly?

We have a few units running the 5.x series and that was exactly the process. It wasn't particularly notable now that we're past the 3.x to 4.x license thing. Ooh, I should mention that in the OP.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

I've upgraded a few- just uploaded the image, rebooted and all was fine. Certainly doesn't hurt to /export first.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I only do the /export if the unit is a real PITA to get to, because I can't recall ever having any upgrade issues.

krackpot
Apr 24, 2011
Still don't trust the 5.x series that much after reading the many threads of the people having problems after upgrading.

Does anyone have some sort of hosts file script that they use on their Mikrotik? Have it access and download one of the many updated hosts files on the internet regularly to block malware/stat tracking sites?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

You should be able to easily add dns entries based on one of those host files if your mikrotik is your dns server. Unknown if there's a limitation if there's that much data in local dns though.

krackpot
Apr 24, 2011
Anyone tried to get Metarouter to work with OpenWRT to get OpenVPN (with UDP / lzo)?

Apparently the folks have Mikrotik haven't added the options for those two in their own OpenVPN service within RouterOS.

I'm just not understanding the bridging etc to get the OpenWRT MR machine to get onto my regular network.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

I installed OpenWRT in a metarouter when the RB1100 first came out. It crashed the entire device so I didn't try again. Hopefully more stable now?

krackpot
Apr 24, 2011
I tried it out on my RB493G and it's a hit and miss (edit: I should mention that I'm doing this from routerOS ver 5.4). Sometimes it locks out Winbox and sometimes I can't access it through the Console. It also does not shutdown properly.

I really wish they'd implement the UDP and lzo on their version of the OpenVPN. :S

falz
Jan 29, 2005

More specifics. is it pingable? are you accessing it via LAN or wifi? do you get an error? is the ssh/telnet/winbox port responding at the time? etc..

krackpot
Apr 24, 2011
I'm guessing there's a conflict with my bridging etc.

But if I leave it standalone, connecting through the console is a hit and miss. I've only managed to login through the console twice.

Winbox is also unstable when running it even as standalone. It will disconnect and refuse the connection. But the internet and everything else remains online and suffers no problems.

I'm not sure if it's the fault of the upgrade to 5.4 or just MetaRouter being unstable in general.

I suppose it's less hassle to have a OpenVPN box behind the Mikrotik without the limitations the devs run into implementing UDP and lzo.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

I'm delving into the MikroTik world and I'm having a hell of a time with port forwarding. I followed the Anypony guide and although the forwarding works fine (I started with 80 and 443 to an SBS 2011 box and I can access it from the outside no problem) it kills any outgoing traffic to 80 and 443 from inside the network. I'm wondering if I screwed something up elsewhere in Winbox, or if I'm missing something. I'm running 5.5 on an RB750G (it had the same behavior before upgrading it to 5.5). Any help is appreciated.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

mono posted:

I'm delving into the MikroTik world and I'm having a hell of a time with port forwarding. I followed the Anypony guide and although the forwarding works fine (I started with 80 and 443 to an SBS 2011 box and I can access it from the outside no problem) it kills any outgoing traffic to 80 and 443 from inside the network. I'm wondering if I screwed something up elsewhere in Winbox, or if I'm missing something. I'm running 5.5 on an RB750G (it had the same behavior before upgrading it to 5.5). Any help is appreciated.

Open up winbox, click on New Terminal on the left.
In the terminal window type: ip fire mang export

Right-click on the window and select "Copy All". Paste that into notepad, clean out any of the boring intro crap and paste the rules you wrote here. That should give us a clear idea of what your rules look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

CuddleChunks posted:

Open up winbox, click on New Terminal on the left.
In the terminal window type: ip fire mang export

Right-click on the window and select "Copy All". Paste that into notepad, clean out any of the boring intro crap and paste the rules you wrote here. That should give us a clear idea of what your rules look like.

Here's all I got when I did that (I X'd out part of the ID since I'm not sure if that's a license key or not):

code:
[admin@MikroTik] > ip fire mang export
# jun/27/2011 02:21:41 by RouterOS 5.5
# software id = 36R3-XXXX
#