Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
7.1 actually got pushed to the Development channel this week....and the Stable channel....and the Long Term channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

7.1 actually got pushed to the Development channel this week....and the Stable channel....and the Long Term channel.

Holy poo poo, that's amazing.

I was just wondering about this thread, turns out last update was March? Then the above news. lafff

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

quote:

!) support for Layer 3 hardware acceleration on all CRS3xx devices;

I was thinking of getting a router for my lab cabinet, but maybe I don't need to anymore.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MikroTik QA is legendary but a lot of the complaints that people have on their forums are due to attempting things that just make you go :wtc:, and aren't a bug on other platforms because they (sensibly) don't let you write such insane configs.

The biggest :lol: for me is making the 802.11ac Wave 2 package require 256MB RAM and an ARM CPU, about two weeks after launching the cAP XL ac with 128MB on board.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I was also thinking about MT, curious if their wireless line has evolved or if they support LTE band 48 yet.

In both cases … no , but they’re still out there.

Hex routers and hAPs still working great

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My home network RB3001 has been chugging along just fine for over 2 years. I just make sure to update the firmware + routerboard versions monthly

(/sys routerboard print for later... most people don't know that updating the software is not enough)

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Fun tip for any US users, if you want to block the rest of the world from making input and un-established/related connections to your home router, use this code and address list.

Enjoy watching your log fill up with input attempts from around the world.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

jeeves posted:

My home network RB3001 has been chugging along just fine for over 2 years. I just make sure to update the firmware + routerboard versions monthly

(/sys routerboard print for later... most people don't know that updating the software is not enough)

I facepalmed so hard the day I figured out that this was why my 4011 had become horrifically unstable.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

I facepalmed so hard the day I figured out that this was why my 4011 had become horrifically unstable.

It's not your fault, it is just on-brand complete Lativian logic, apparently?

I discovered it myself at my old job when I noticed that some LEDs for ports on one device all flashed on and off on traffic in parallel between ether1 and ether4, even if there was only one live connection in ether1. After much updating of RouterOS versions to try to fix it, I realized that the firmware/hardware/routerboard itself needed a separate and MANUAL update.

They don't make it easy, but once you get over that freaking hurdle of the initial learning curve with these things, they're quite nice.

It's been a surprise to see them in more and more places, even if I haven't professionally used them in over 2 years now since leaving my old job. For example, I've been seeing big boy ISPs like ATT or CenturyLink drop surprisingly using CRS326 10G SFP+ switches in a few places that I've been able to see their setups in building MPOEs.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
For those who still keep up with Latvian Finest Vendor, anyone know if they have any WiFi 6/ax hardware in the pipeline?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

What?! I don't understand whats being discussed here. Mine is sitting on a shelf because every night at 9PM (WHAT THE gently caress) it locks up for 3-5 mins and then acts like nothing happened. Only shows the ports dropping at that time in the logs..

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

redeyes posted:

What?! I don't understand whats being discussed here. Mine is sitting on a shelf because every night at 9PM (WHAT THE gently caress) it locks up for 3-5 mins and then acts like nothing happened. Only shows the ports dropping at that time in the logs..

Go to system->routerboard and make sure your current firmware version matches your upgrade firmware version. Upgrading the packages does not automatically upgrade the firmware, for whatever reason.

Sir Bobert Fishbone fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 9, 2021

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Go to system->routerboard and make sure your current firmware version matches your upgrade firmware version. Upgrading the packages does not automatically upgrade the firmware, for whatever reason.

Yeah, this.

Basically upgrading the OS just does the software, and doesn't actually push the new version (that is downloaded with the software) to the hardware.

You need to do the above manually via:

/system routerboard print # shows you the version you're on
/system routerboard upgrade # queues upgrade (if applicable)
/system reboot # pushes upgrade

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

jeeves posted:

Yeah, this.

Basically upgrading the OS just does the software, and doesn't actually push the new version (that is downloaded with the software) to the hardware.

You need to do the above manually via:

/system routerboard print # shows you the version you're on
/system routerboard upgrade # queues upgrade (if applicable)
/system reboot # pushes upgrade

Welp, upgraded the Routerboard from ... a couple years ago firmware to current. I've been consistent about hitting the packages and updating those. Now I know.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I mean, I get how like opaque that process is, but at least you were running the newest software!

Apparently over 300K Mikrotiks are out there on public IPs running versions of RouterOS older than 2018!

I really wonder what percentage of Mikrotik hardware is on the original routerboard version that it shipped with!

Edit - more info on above:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/12/300000-mikrotik-routers-are-ticking-security-time-bombs-researchers-say/

jeeves fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 14, 2021

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Tested out the l3 switching on my CRS305 that 7.1 introduced

Without offload
code:
root@pve2:~# iperf -c 172.20.50.9
------------------------------------------------------------
Client connecting to 172.20.50.9, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 85.0 KByte (default)
[  3] local 172.20.51.10 port 53668 connected with 172.20.50.9 port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  3] 0.0000-10.0047 sec   279 MBytes   234 Mbits/sec
With offload
code:
root@pve2:~# iperf -c 172.20.50.9
Client connecting to 172.20.50.9, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 85.0 KByte (default)
[  3] local 172.20.51.10 port 53690 connected with 172.20.50.9 port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  3] 0.0000-10.0006 sec  11.0 GBytes  9.42 Gbits/sec

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:eyepop:

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Just remember that that Latvian offload bypasses all security filters after the first packet makes the offload table entry.

(ie: start a stream, then add a filter to block it and the established streams never get blocked.)

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Hopefully they provided a knob to invalidate the existing flow table. They did, right? right?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Trip report: installed 7.1 using the "Upgrade" branch, which then set me to "Stable" branch again afterwards.

No problems besides an initial hiccup where half of my DHCP leases stopped responding until I rebooted the router again.

This is on a home router though, I am sure there are all sorts of issues so far in a real world production environment.

alyandon
Dec 9, 2001
Poster of the Month for July!
Fun Shoe

jeeves posted:

Trip report: installed 7.1 using the "Upgrade" branch, which then set me to "Stable" branch again afterwards.

No problems besides an initial hiccup where half of my DHCP leases stopped responding until I rebooted the router again.

This is on a home router though, I am sure there are all sorts of issues so far in a real world production environment.

What hardware? I've got a RB3011 that I'm itching to upgrade so I can terminate my wireguard vpn on the router instead of a server behind it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I’m using a 3011 as well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bunch of new products added to the MikroTik website today - seems like they’re going big on 25G.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
https://mikrotik.com/product/ccr2004_1g_2xs_pcie

I thought at first they were just selling their own kind of 25G PCIe adapter, but no it's a router.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Is there going to be a wireless variant of that? I dunno why I ask since I wouldn't replace my RB 4011 anyway, but it's a new toy to think about.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Actuarial Fables posted:

https://mikrotik.com/product/ccr2004_1g_2xs_pcie

I thought at first they were just selling their own kind of 25G PCIe adapter, but no it's a router.

It’s a router/server that works as a nic, it’s a big thing in current data centers

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The 802.11ay stuff looks really interesting too

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Does Mikrotik STILL not have any 802.11ax stuff? I'm due for a new home AP/router, but I don't want to buy something that's not at least sorta current.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wi-Fi has never been a MikroTik strength. Their AP performance has been terrible for ages because they couldn’t run the radio vendor binary drivers. That’s fixed now in ROS7 but you still need a device with more than 16GB flash to run Wave 2 802.11ac, which still seems to be the minority of their products.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Go Ubiquiti for WiFi. An UniFi Controller has the initial buy in price of like $75-100, and then the APs are 100-150 each, but then the setup lets you easily expand to other APs if you want to. Plus it also forces you to learn the UniFi management platform which is honestly like the top 3 corporate WiFi standards out there now (others being like Aruba and Cisco’s overpriced poo poo?)

Edit - I am running a Mikrotik 3011 at home for routing/brains/9x downstream switch ports , then a UniFi controller and AC PRO AP. I may upgrade to their WiFi 6 APs once my work buys a bunch of them. No complaints at all.

I did a similar setup for my friends house who was too lazy to run Ethernet and the UniFi APs wirelessly bridge to each other.

No idea why anyone should even try dealing with Mikrotik WiFi these days besides like being super brand loyalist or really trying to save 100 bux on the controller?

jeeves fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 25, 2022

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Controller is waste of time and resources if you're just running single AP. In my experiences Ubiquiti stuff breaks on updates and the only real benefit for having the controller is auto updates...

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Does Mikrotik STILL not have any 802.11ax stuff? I'm due for a new home AP/router, but I don't want to buy something that's not at least sorta current.

Mikro wifi is always been weird, if you want a single purpose device i would suggest other option but i second the router+AP separation suggested by other people(albeit without unifi which i only have bad stories to tell about).

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I'm only looking for something for my small apartment, so I don't necessarily need to separate the router and AP features, or a dedicated management platform. I used to use a lot of Mikrotik gear when I worked for a small ISP, and I'm curious as to what the software is like these days. A new home AP/router would be nice for that, but I'm not going to buy something that's missing features I would need for my home just to get a new toy to play with.

Maybe I should just buy one of Ubiquiti's Alien devices. 🤣

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Audience would be a decent home router as it's got enough flash to run Wave 2 on ROS 7, but no 802.11ax yet.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014
I’ve got a hAP ac in my home still running on RouterOS 6. Does anyone else here have one? Would you recommend upgrading it to 7.1.3 or waiting a little longer? Just curious - it’s not critical that I upgrade it immediately or anything.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This is the March MT newsletter with the product announcements in

https://mt.lv/news104

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

experienceBeej posted:

I’ve got a hAP ac in my home still running on RouterOS 6. Does anyone else here have one? Would you recommend upgrading it to 7.1.3 or waiting a little longer? Just curious - it’s not critical that I upgrade it immediately or anything.

I'm only using mine as a switch/AP connected to my 4011, but I've had it on 7.1 for a while now and it's working just fine. Export your config while you're still on 6, so if you do need to revert for whatever reason you can just reload and call it good--configs exported from 7 can't be reimported into 6.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

I'm only using mine as a switch/AP connected to my 4011, but I've had it on 7.1 for a while now and it's working just fine. Export your config while you're still on 6, so if you do need to revert for whatever reason you can just reload and call it good--configs exported from 7 can't be reimported into 6.

Did the upgrade and the firmware update. It’s working great. No issues. Thanks!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Shot:

jeeves posted:

I mean, I get how like opaque that process is, but at least you were running the newest software!

Apparently over 300K Mikrotiks are out there on public IPs running versions of RouterOS older than 2018!

I really wonder what percentage of Mikrotik hardware is on the original routerboard version that it shipped with!

Edit - more info on above:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/12/300000-mikrotik-routers-are-ticking-security-time-bombs-researchers-say/

Chaser:
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/03/trickbot-is-using-mikrotik-routers-to-ply-its-trade-now-we-know-why/

tl;dr the current nasty malware dujour uses mikrotik devices as its C&C system.

if you have a mikrotik router that maybe hasn't been kept up to date, you should probably run this open scanning tool made by MS that can detect compromises. and then make sure you are up to date with the latest firmware.

or just throw it away and buy something that you can manage more easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can blame MikroTik for having vulnerable software, but having management interfaces exposed is not a great idea ever. Also update your stuff more than once every four years.