Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PapaLazarou
May 11, 2008

Decadent Federation Swine!
I just got a 751U, and was looking towards having two isolated subnets sharing a single internet connection. One would have the ethernet ports, and one wireless network. The second would be only have a VirtualAP. I'm running into a bit of a mental block thinking about how to set it up.

Edit: I'm thinking I'd create two VLANs on the WAN interface, bridge the interfaces appropriately, assign a dhcp server to each VLAN interface, and set a firewall rule the prevents crossing VLANs. Does this seem correct?

PapaLazarou fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PapaLazarou
May 11, 2008

Decadent Federation Swine!

CuddleChunks posted:

Setup two separate IP addresses, two IP pools, two dhcp servers and then assign one server to ether1 and the other to wlan1. Write a firewall rule to drop traffic and you're set. You don't need vlans in this case.

ip address add address=192.168.2.1/24 interface=ether2
ip address add address=192.168.3.1/24 interface=wlan1

The rest of the commands I do through winbox but that's the basic idea.

Ah. Thanks. That worked. I don't know why I was having so much trouble thinking of that. I'll blame tiredness. Anyway, doing this has somehow made me the "network guy" at the company (startup), which is fairly frightening. Anyway, as they're temporarily renting two more new rooms for labs at the current space, and ultimately moving to a much larger building that has ports at each cubicle wired to patch panels in the server room.

I'm supposed to figure out how to add these two rooms.

The current equipment is a RB751 that replaced the cheapest home router they could get at Fry's. At the current location, there are 7 rooms, each with a single jack running to a patch panel in the closet. Four of these have permanent workspaces, two are labs and one is a conference room. Since this is pretty decentralized and rather temporary, my plan is to throw cheap Fry's gigabit switches (we already have four hanging around for some reason) in the four rooms with permanent workspaces, and both of the labs. The RB751 will be relocated to the conference room and provide a port for a voip computer. This would all be hooked up to an RB1200, with the ports in a switch group.

Since the new building is more centralized, we'd retire the cheap switches, and get some gigabit rackmounts.

Should I get some rackmounts now (there is a rack in the closet) keep the 751 between it and the outside world, and have everything connected to that? At what point is a managed switch necessary?