Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

im depressed lol posted:

thank you for this. i'm 90% sure i used a GUI-only variant of this guide on initial setup a year ago.

Yeah just be careful if you copy it verbatim to your own MikroTik. Some of the IP addressing/ranges may have to be modified, especially when you build the firewall rules. Been using this for years with no issue.

Just pulled the trigger on 6.42.9 (hAP AC) and shockingly no issues to report. I did however notice this change and it confused me at first:

http://www.mtin.net/blog/mikrotik-changes-their-firmware-version-numbering/

Didn't know the RouterBOARD firmware versioning was changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

https://www.tenable.com/blog/tenable-research-advisory-multiple-vulnerabilities-discovered-in-mikrotiks-routeros

Fixed in new releases but drat. I haven't utilized MikroTik on a business scale but come on, at least keep your poo poo up to date via the bugfix channel.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Lately I've been having a random reboot issue on my own hAP AC with the latest long-term firmware and oddly enough it seems to stop if I disable Watchdog. Not sure if anyone's had a similar issue. Regardless, I'm planning on testing an overhaul of my home network to Ubiquiti. Probably the USG with a PoE switch, cloud key and AP. The hAP ACs, RB951Gs, etc. I've deployed have been working *okay* for years now but I want to expand out and try some different hardware. Definitely curious about VPN and hardware-offloading performance so I'd like to try that.

It just seems like small or simple/flat networks MikroTik can handle well but once you start building complex ones or ones with 600mbit or greater from the ISP, they just falter.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

zennik posted:

Known long-standing bug.

Watchdog enabled without a valid IP defined, will just randomly bug out and trigger a reboot.

Disable watchdog, or give it a valid IP to 'watch' for.

:ughh:

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but has anyone had positive experience with enabling/configuring IPv6 in RouterOS? The documentation I'm reading makes me believe that if I install the package and turn it on, firewall rules, bridges, rules, etc. will all need to be reconfigured.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

redeyes posted:

Sure its really easy actually. Best thing to do is install the v6 package and reset the device with latest firmware installed. This will setup 'default' working IPv6 firewall rules. Then you need to configure a v6 Client and RA, AND assign a v6 IP to the Interface.

I'll give this a shot on a spare RB951G I just pulled from production. I only noticed recently the standard default RouterOS configuration seems much more simple now. That just goes to show how long it's been since I've reset one of these to factory and merely tweaked the default configuration. I give MikroTik brownie points for that as it makes it faster for me to configure one of these for someone out of the box.

The Ubiquiti gear I've been using now has been a lot better, though. Sorry MikroTik.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah that seems to be a pattern with Ubiquiti-- from a compatibility level, it's typically best to stick to one product line to cover all of your needs (UniFi or EdgeRouter.) Both product lines have their advantages/disadvantages. As an exception, the UniFi APs work fine with EdgeRouter gear. I ended up converting from a MikroTik hAP AC to a regular USG, nanoHD, US-8-60W switch and CloudKey G1. My USG overheated once and my CloudKey ate through multiple microSD cards, but those are the only serious issues I've had. Minor issues were related to creating/editing JSON configurations (really, Ubiquiti? why do we still have to do this with UniFi?)

At some point I'd like to migrate the controller to a VM and ditch the CloudKey, but it's been working fine so I'll just wait until it dies.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Is MikroTik releasing a small router (like the hEX S) but with ARM? I see they already have the hAP ac2.

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 24, 2019

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah I've learned the hard way over the years to set all MikroTik devices to "Channel: long term".

The only thing more dangerous than "Channel: stable" would be "beta" in the MikroTik world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Used Ubiquiti for about a year then switched back to MikroTik for home use. Never been happier.

There can be a lot of configuration involved to a MikroTik, but once you get it there, it's basically set it and forget it. I'll take RouterOS/Terminal over having to customize a JSON file any day.