Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
So I've read the thread several times and I'm ready to drink the MikroTik Kool-Aid :cheers:

I've got an organization that cannot afford a wireless solution that utilizes a Wireless LAN Controller. I want to outfit their three story building with about 12 access points that can handle meshing. I understand MikroTik can do all this and more as well as not break the bank.

So what would I need to build out these 12 AP'S? I was looking on r0c-n0c and this is what I've come up with:

- Indoor Router Box
- Routerboard with a MiniPCI slot
- MiniPCI Radio
- PoE Adapter
- Antennas
- RouterOS license

Or is it just easier in the long run to setup Ubiquity Nanostations to provide the same functionality and not have to build out each MikroTik box??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

yarrmatey posted:

I'm going to also recommend the Ubiquiti UniFi. The (free) controller software was 2d based for planning coverage area, so the multi-story layout might be a bit tricky. How necessary is mesh capability, or can you get an ethernet drop to each AP?

We have 3 UniFi APs at our office and have been very happy with them.

After I thought about it, we could get ethernet drops to our AP's relatively easy so I guess the mesh networking is not that important. I just wanted to make sure I made the right call before spending the meager budget on a sub-par wireless system.

Thanks goons! :patriot: