Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krackpot
Apr 24, 2011
There are new products for 2011 (http://www.mikrotik.com/download/share/hu11.pdf).

The RB435G seems to be the successor to the RB433 (to which a quick setup guide was posted earlier in this thread). The PDF I linked above seems to mention that the chip operates at 800MHz, but that's the overclocked speed. It is the same chip they use in the RB450G.

RB450G still seems like a solid choice. Now I'm having trouble deciding what to go for :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krackpot
Apr 24, 2011
Couldn't hold off for the new products. Just ordered a RB493G with the R52Hn card from Baltic Networks. Hopefully the border won't ding me that bad. They're doing a small discount on most of their products at this time (couple bucks off here and there).

Getting excited about messing around with this device. Hopefully it will be just challenging enough to keep me interested. Maybe this thread will grow in popularity if enough people find out about these products.

krackpot
Apr 24, 2011

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

Looks like they took the PDF down. Still looks like the cheapest Gigabit router they have then is the RB435G? And that comes with the MiniPCI slots for use with the R52Hn (if wireless is desired). Then you need an enclosure for all of that with support for external antennas.

Not sure if this is the same PDF file (http://www.mikrotik.com/download/share/generic.pdf)

RB435G is quite new. I got a response form the roc-noc guy saying a nice metal indoor enclosure wouldn't be ready for a few months.

I think if you wanted to populate the entire board with wireless cards, you'd need a custom enclosure anyways just for the antenna. You'd also need a beefier PSU and possibly better cooling.

krackpot
Apr 24, 2011

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

RB751G sounds perfect to me. Q3 2011 on the other hand, not so much. :(

That's the exact reason I just chose to buy now. I couldn't wait for all these new products no matter how awesome they are.

krackpot
Apr 24, 2011
Just received my 493G today and spent a better part of the day learning about Winbox and how to actually configure the router. The guide in the OP is invaluable. I had to reboot the routerboard to get the settings to "stick" though.

Are there any general security/ Firewall rules that we should use after setting up the router using NAT?

I've disabled the services such as ftp, ssh, telnet, www in IP > Service. I just realized that I could access the www server from the outside network to my IP of the router!

krackpot
Apr 24, 2011
Anyone upgrade from 4.17 to 5.4?

What's the process? Backup settings, upgrade, check settings migrated correctly?

krackpot
Apr 24, 2011
Still don't trust the 5.x series that much after reading the many threads of the people having problems after upgrading.

Does anyone have some sort of hosts file script that they use on their Mikrotik? Have it access and download one of the many updated hosts files on the internet regularly to block malware/stat tracking sites?

krackpot
Apr 24, 2011
Anyone tried to get Metarouter to work with OpenWRT to get OpenVPN (with UDP / lzo)?

Apparently the folks have Mikrotik haven't added the options for those two in their own OpenVPN service within RouterOS.

I'm just not understanding the bridging etc to get the OpenWRT MR machine to get onto my regular network.

krackpot
Apr 24, 2011
I tried it out on my RB493G and it's a hit and miss (edit: I should mention that I'm doing this from routerOS ver 5.4). Sometimes it locks out Winbox and sometimes I can't access it through the Console. It also does not shutdown properly.

I really wish they'd implement the UDP and lzo on their version of the OpenVPN. :S

krackpot
Apr 24, 2011
I'm guessing there's a conflict with my bridging etc.

But if I leave it standalone, connecting through the console is a hit and miss. I've only managed to login through the console twice.

Winbox is also unstable when running it even as standalone. It will disconnect and refuse the connection. But the internet and everything else remains online and suffers no problems.

I'm not sure if it's the fault of the upgrade to 5.4 or just MetaRouter being unstable in general.

I suppose it's less hassle to have a OpenVPN box behind the Mikrotik without the limitations the devs run into implementing UDP and lzo.

krackpot
Apr 24, 2011
Does anyone have QOS setup? Just wondering if there are any good setups to throttle down torrent/newsgroup traffic and prioritize web/gaming etc?

krackpot
Apr 24, 2011
If I want to place an OpenVPN server behind a NAT'd firewall, I just use port mapping to have the RouterOS firewall push all data destined for a certain port to the internal LAN IP (and port) of the OVPN server, right?

I made a new NAT rule:
/ip firewall nat add chain=dstnat dst-port=1194 action=dst-nat protocol=udp to-address=10.0.1.100 to-port=1194

It connects fine, but I can't ping from the connected client to the Mikrotik LAN. And from the Mikrotik LAN I can't ping the OVPN server or the connected client.

Any ideas?

On a 493G with RouterOS 5.6.

krackpot
Apr 24, 2011
5.7 Released.
Changelog: http://www.mikrotik.com/download/CHANGELOG_5

This is particularly interesting:
*) improved ipv4 forwarding performance on all boards with simple configuration
by up to 30%;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krackpot
Apr 24, 2011
Does anyone know how to troubleshoot a device which does not power up? I woke up one morning with a plugged in but unpowered RB493G. It refuses to power on and I've tried swapping power cords, but no dice.

I opened the housing and there does not appear to be anything wrong with the caps or any visual damage. No burning smell coming from the PCB either.

I'm so choked right now. I loved my Mikrotik. I spent a lot of blood on that perfect config!