Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

DaCheese posted:

Edit: also the log in winbox doesn't really show me much. Is there a better place that I can gather info from?
One thing that I find to be helpful in troubleshooting is stick firewall rules for all chains with action "log" at the end of your list. If legitimate traffic shows up in the logs, you'll know that you need to add a rule to allow it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

CuddleChunks posted:

VPN setup is a little fiddly from what I remember but not too terrible. How much bandwidth do you want to push through the tunnels? These units don't have VPN accelerator hardware which keeps them cheap but if you are looking for gigabit throughput then you should look elsewhere.
RB1200 (and I think one of the RB1100 variants) does support certain types of hardware encryption now. It won't do a gigabit encrypted or anything, but supposedly can handle several hundred megabits.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

damnit posted:

Just received my RB751G, any pointers for having it receive wifi from my other router so I can plug into the Mikrotik's Ethernet port and use the wifi connection?
Mind if I ask where you found one? I haven't seen them in stock anywhere yet.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Gorson posted:

Looking to create a simple wireless bridge across a distance of about 200m. I am looking at the SXT 5 AC for each end, or is there a better option?

http://routerboard.com/RBSXTG-5HPacD

UBNT might be a simpler option. 'tik will do a lot more stuff, which you may or may not want. What speeds do you need?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Gorson posted:

Speed isn't particularly important. There will only be 1-3 users at the "remote" site, who need internet access and access to a file server (excel or word files). I'd like it to be AC. From Ubiquiti, it looks like the Nanobeam AC would be the equivalent?

e: Features also not really important. Ease of setup/reliability would be more important. It will also need a POE injector.

Yep, IMO UBNT is your best bet from a simplicity standpoint. Nanobeam AC should get you at least 200mbps real world aggregate throughput (so 100/100 is doable) unless you have crazy interference.