Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
If you mean other wireless stuff generally, things work fine downstairs. Laptops, tablets, cell phones, et cetera. They all get addresses and can get online fine.

I was able to Winbox into the device. It has a good RF connection, and if I open a terminal the RB433 can talk to the Internet itself. (The RB433 gets its own DHCP lease just fine.) It looks like there's something going on where either the DHCP request or response aren't being passed through the bridge. This evening, I hope to spend a bit of time with Torch, but if I can't figure it out tonight I may just go buy a different device that's explicitly designed for this job. Or maybe a cheap router that can run OpenWRT or DD-WRT maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Unfortunately, I don't actually have anything else that's wired (except the desktop, but it's upstairs next to the router). And I doubt I'll have the time and motivation to haul the desktop and monitor downstairs for testing. (Also, the desktop did work when I used it to configure and test the RB433, the only difference being that the RB433 is now about ten feet below the router instead of ten feet across from the router.)

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I switched the RB433 from a bridge to a router, doing NAT and acting as a DHCP server, and the TiVo got a lease and got online almost immediately.

I'll fiddle with the configuration a bit more later, but it's fine for now (though admittedly not ideal because of the double NAT).

Edit: Well, station pseudobridge clone means it can't even connect to the Time Capsule AP. :sigh:

Weird Uncle Dave fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 9, 2015

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
The only device I have with an Ethernet port is the TiVo, which admittedly makes testing a bit tricky. Unless I could be bothered to drive to Micro Center and get some cheapo Ethernet USB adapter, but if I'm going there I may as well just buy a dedicated wireless bridge.

Anyway, configs!

This is the configuration when it's acting as a router. (It actually is in station mode, not station pseudobridge as that configuration claims, but it works either way.) Pretty standard stuff, wlan1 connects to the AP, Ethernet ports bridged and running a DHCP server, masquerade NAT on outgoing traffic. Works fine, as I type this sentence I'm using it on my desktop, and I confirmed the TiVo can get online with this same configuration as well.

And this is the configuration for bridge mode. Wireless card as station pseudobridge, wlan1 and all etherx bridged together. No NAT. DHCP client on the bridge interface, but that's more for convenience than anything. (Winbox run under Crossover WINE on a MAC can't connect to devices by MAC, only by IP.) Desktop gets a DHCP address just fine, TiVo does not.

In both cases, I removed my WPA security keys but didn't make any other changes.

I did just discover than when my desktop is running through the bridge, the Apple AirPort Utility won't run... I'm really inclined to just say there's some strange interaction between Apple, Mikrotik, and TiVo, and let it be one of the great unsolved mysteries of Latvian software engineering. Nevertheless, another set of eyes on things certainly wouldn't hurt.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
That looks like it's functionally identical to my bridge config (save that you enabled WPA in addition to WPA2, and a couple probably-irrelevant settings like DFS). Is there something I'm overlooking?

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
My setup was basically that, but with a DHCP client on the board.

I pulled it out from behind the TV again, did a reset, pasted in those commands, and... still no love. Radio associates, doesn't appear to bridge DHCP requests or responses. Still works great on the desktop PC through the same bridge with the same configuration. There's some bizarre interaction between all these components that just plain doesn't want to work as a bridge for a TiVo Premiere. For now, I give.

quote:

"Huh, Latvian engineering, whaddya gonna do." :shrug:

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

AlternateAccount posted:

So if I am looking for some basic routing of my residential internet and a decent wireless AP, this is what I should buy, right?

http://routerboard.com/RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN

All this patch breaking talk is making me anxious.

This guy is potentially a pretty good choice too, and a bit less expensive.

The key to Mikrotik software is: find a version that has the features you need, where everything works, and then never touch it again unless you have a very very good reason.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
There's still a lot of old gear in the typical household. Something that's 5GHz only will just disappoint a lot of your customers for the foreseeable future.

I hope it's not too expensive. I don't think I've been excited about a wireless device since I left my job at a WISP, but this looks cool.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Probably just bots trying to drive-by hack you. If you don't need telnet (you probably don't), disable it. Also consider adding firewall rules to drop incoming packets from the outside world on SSH and Web ports, unless you really need to log into the Mikrotik itself remotely. As long as the VPN is working, you can just connect to it, then to the unit itself from "inside".

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Anyone know when the hAP AC and Lite will show up? They were both announced for the third quarter of 2015, but I know Latvian calendars work about as well as Latvian software QA.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I really need the dual band support because I have some gear that's older than God and is 2.4 only.

The hAP AC Lite is starting to show up at some resellers, but at this point I'd rather wait for its big brother. I'm looking to replace a router I bought in 2008, so I tend to think of gear as more of a long term investment.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

jeeves posted:

I feel like this is going to be me once I leave my current job at an ISP. I really like Mikrotiks, but maybe that is just because they are really cheap. If I left for a non-cheap job I'd probably be dealing with much more reliable equipment.

I worked for a really small WISP a few years back, and loved Mikrotik stuff at the time, because it was so easy and cheap to do, well, drat near anything. My boss once described Mikrotik as a networking Swiss-army knife, and that's not inaccurate.

I now work for a company with many thousands of employees, and if anyone suggested anything other than Cisco for core networking gear they'd be laughed out of the building. Shame, really.

Still have a RB433 in the basement somewhere. Oughta pull it out and set it up as a houseguest AP or somethin'.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
For those who still keep up with Latvian Finest Vendor, anyone know if they have any WiFi 6/ax hardware in the pipeline?

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Does Mikrotik STILL not have any 802.11ax stuff? I'm due for a new home AP/router, but I don't want to buy something that's not at least sorta current.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I'm only looking for something for my small apartment, so I don't necessarily need to separate the router and AP features, or a dedicated management platform. I used to use a lot of Mikrotik gear when I worked for a small ISP, and I'm curious as to what the software is like these days. A new home AP/router would be nice for that, but I'm not going to buy something that's missing features I would need for my home just to get a new toy to play with.

Maybe I should just buy one of Ubiquiti's Alien devices. 🤣