Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
What is recommended for a home network with N wifi?

The RB751 seems the obvious choice, but it is not a gigabit device.

If I want to have gigabit should I use an RB450G? And then some sort of wifi AP? The Ubiquiti PowerAPN was mentioned on the first page of this thread.

I have a consumer Buffalo router with G wifi that has an antenna that is hanging by its wire and a bad habit of freezing every time I surf a little too hard. I am in a NETWORKING TECHNOLOGIES program (CCNA mill) and would like something to mess about with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

I'm more or less in the same boat and have been for some time. The RB751 sounds perfect for me, but ideally I'd like internal gigabit switching. I suppose one could just connect a gigabit switch to one of the ports on the Mikrotik but that's kind of a half-rear end solution. Are there plans for something like an RB751G? I can't remember.

Maybe I am being dumb, but isn't the other problem with that setup that N wifi is faster than fast ethernet? You are effectively limiting fancy N wifi to 100Mbit/s, rite?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

CrazyLittle posted:

Also, wireless spectrum is divided among the number of active clients connected, so 3 people connected to 150mbps wifi-n get ~50mb each, whereas 3 people connected to a 1gb switch can have 1gb each to other switch ports.

Yeah, I suppose for most purposes gigabit is not usually a factor. I have a wired file server that copies files to a single wireless device on the LAN and I think gigabit might actually be effective, but I guess it is a very limited use case.

Also, what technically is an active client? If some clients are idle, does a single active client get closer to full bandwidth, or is bandwidth divided between connected devices no matter what?

Also also I have an RB450G in the mail I am excited. I wonder how many days it will take me to figure it out :o.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Woah, this post brought to you by an RB450G!

I have so many questions. . .

I am using this for a home LAN, btw.

This device has 5 ports. One port is designated for the WAN input, and the other 4 are just to be used as a switch for the LAN.

The device worked right out of the box with the default config, but also I tried to scrap that and use the anypony guide (http://users.moscow.com/groovydave/mt/) to get it going from scratch on my own. That sort of got me there, but the dhcp server never seemed very happy.

The default config differs from the anypony guide in that it does not have you set a master port and slave ports for the switch. Reading the mikrotik wiki on the switch chip (http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Switch_Chip_Features) it seems like doing the master/slave format is more efficient, as traffic on the LAN never has to be processed by the router cpu. Is this correct?

I am not sure what the default config is doing. I think it bridges all the ports?

If I do use the switch chip with master/slave, I don't want to switch-all-ports, right? As eth1 is going to be the WAN input and doesn't need to be switched?

Also, the default config creates some firewall filters that anypony doesn't touch on:
code:
/ip firewall filter
add action=accept chain=input comment="default configuration" disabled=no \
    protocol=icmp
add action=accept chain=input comment="default configuration" \
    connection-state=established disabled=no in-interface=ether1-gateway
add action=accept chain=input comment="default configuration" \
    connection-state=related disabled=no in-interface=ether1-gateway
add action=drop chain=input comment="default configuration" disabled=no \
    in-interface=ether1-gateway
I am terrible at deciphering firewall rules. This is letting in pings, and then accepting all traffic, and then lastly dropping all traffic?

Also, I set the services to only be reachable from the LAN. I think:
code:
[admin@mikrobox] /ip service> print
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid 
 #   NAME     PORT  ADDRESS                                        CERTIFICATE   
 0   telnet   23    10.20.30.0/24                                 
 1   ftp      21    10.20.30.0/24                                 
 2   www      80    10.20.30.0/24                                 
 3   ssh      22    10.20.30.0/24                                 
 4 X www-ssl  443                                                  none          
 5 X api      8728 
 6   winbox   8291  10.20.30.0/24                                 
This seems to work, but if I go to my WAN IP address from a machine inside the LAN the www server (for example) still comes up. Is that just because the router is smarter than I am? It seems to time out if I make a request from an external VPS I have access to, but I just want to be sure. Have I done this correctly?

I think that is all for now! I am sure to have many questions about QoS coming up.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

This is true, but if you're doing anything else at all to the traffic (like, say, QoS'ing it, as you've mentioned) it won't work. You might as well just get rid of the switching stuff and go straight to creating a bridge interface and sticking ether2-ether5 in there now.

First, note that these rules are all for the "input" chain.

Since Mikrotik is, internally, Linux, it helps to know a bit about how Linux does its firewalling. The "input" chain is for traffic destined for the router itself, and nothing else; the "output" chain is for traffic leaving the router itself. Anything you want to do for traffic going through the router, you have to add to the "forward" chain.

Anyway, the above rules allow ICMP traffic (including pings) to the router itself on all interfaces, then allow "established" and "related" traffic to the router itself that comes in on ether1, then drops everything else. This only affects traffic to your router on ether1 (presumably the WAN IP), and nothing else. Pretty much the equivalent of not allowing any sort of remote access to the WAN port.

I'm not sure about the last question, since I don't have a unit handy.

Hey! Thank you for your help. Sorry about my delay in replying, holidays and all that. . .

I am not sure I understand why switching doesn't allow QoS, etc. See this image:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/File:Switch4.png

So I couldn't do QoS on traffic that never leaves the LAN, but if a LAN host wants to talk to the WAN, I can QoS that, right? Since this is just for a home network, I can't say that there is a whole lot of steady traffic bumping around the LAN side by itself.

Am I completely misunderstanding this?

Two new questions!

I have what claim to be CAT6 cables connecting my PC to the 450G, but it rarely shows a gigabit connection. When first plugged in the PC reports gigabit, but it seems to drop to 100Mbit after dhcp, or something. I have no idea how to trouble shoot this.

Looking at the awesome diagram from feld, I "get" the forward/input/output chains now, I think. Trying to do QoS on ssh traffic:

code:
/ip firewall layer7-protocol
add name=ssh regexp="^ssh-[12]\\.[0-9]"

/ip firewall mangle
add action=mark-connection chain=output disabled=no layer7-protocol=ssh new-connection-\
mark=priority_high passthrough=no

/queue tree
add burst-limit=0 burst-threshold=0 burst-time=0s disabled=yes limit-at=0 max-limit=1500k \
name=Outgoing parent=global-out priority=8
add burst-limit=0 burst-threshold=0 burst-time=0s disabled=yes limit-at=0 max-limit=650k \
name="High priority" packet-mark=priority_high parent=Outgoing priority=4 queue=default
This never sees any traffic. I imagine I am way way off here?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

CuddleChunks posted:

Is your mark rule triggering? Check the firewall tab in Winbox (my preferred way to puzzle these out). Look at the packet count and when you try to make an SSH connection does the rule up its count by one?

I think you might need to set the rule to chain=forward for things to trigger on marking the packet.

For the QoS rule I usually set a lower bound of guaranteed bandwidth using the limit-at setting. Then the max-limit locks an upper bound for bandwidth.

Ah, I am actually getting somewhere with this now, thank you!

You are correct that the mangle rule needed to use the forward chain, not the output chain. Then action is seen on the rule when I ssh. Nothing was seen on the queue tree, however, until I again changed the mangle rule, switching mark-connection to mark-packet. Now the queue tree lights up as well!

So now it appears to be working, but I am not 100% sure things are all that faster. What I have created is only affecting the outgoing packets, correct? They are not affecting incoming packets?

Also also, this further highlights my misunderstanding of input/output/forward chains. When I looked at feld's chart, I was imagining that traffic that never leaves the LAN doesn't even come into play there, and then any traffic from the LAN that has to travel over to the WAN side enters where it says "Socket and Output routing".

Now I see that that is really saying locally generated traffic, ie traffic generated by the router itself, and that all traffic enters the router on the top left, both WAN and LAN. Am I getting closer now?

Also, for the QoS, I really did pull those limit numbers out of my rear end. I have no idea what they really need to be :/

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I am trying to setup a rule to catch and prioritize my own bit torrent traffic on my home network. It is encrypted traffic, so the regular L7 rules don't seem to see it.

My torrent program has an option to set a "Peer TOS Byte" in each IP header. I also have the same option in Crashplan (a cloud backup service). How do I mark these packets with a mangle rule? I don't see anything under the mangle options that seems to correspond to this field.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

CuddleChunks posted:

Lock your torrent client to a specific port on your computer. Build your rule to queue traffic that talks to that port and now you can shape it like a mofo.

Yeah, that is what I ended up doing.

I am having a weird problem with my Roku (netflix streaming device). It connects to the wifi access point which is connected to the RB450G. It works perfectly, but it does not show up in the DHCP leases of the RB450G, which is running the only DHCP server on the network.

Why would this be? It is very confusing! I am trying to have QoS rules so that the Roku devices gets high priority, as well as any Netflix traffic, but it is turning out to be difficult for me, and I think the fact that the RB450G seems unaware of the Roku might be part of the problem.

add action=mark-packet chain=prerouting comment=Roku disabled=no new-packet-mark=priority_roku passthrough=no src-mac-address=00:0D:4B:11:11:11

This catches some traffic, 46 MB in a few days, but it has streamed many movies since then, so it is only catching a small fraction of it.

I would be happy to match it to IP and assign the roku a static lease, but that is kinda hard to do since the RB450G doesn't seem to think the current lease exists in the first place!

Then there is the issue of Netflix streaming in a browser from most any computer in the house. I haven't found a layer 7 protocol for netflix. Googling has only found people with huge lists of IP addresses of netflix servers that they build rules off of. Maybe this is the only way?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

CuddleChunks posted:

Are you sure it's set for DHCP? Also, you're not seeing it in winbox under IP -> DHCP-Server -> Leases?

If you check IP -> ARP does its MAC show up in there?

I'm pretty sure Netflix uses port 80 for its streaming so you have to clamp the bigass list of servers rather than a specific protocol port. Fortunately you can make Address Lists full of those servers, give them a common name and then refer to those in your firewall rules. Yes, it's still a pain in the rear end but I often build out a big rule in Notepad, get it all together and then cut and paste into the terminal so that I can leverage the command-line.

Need to build 150 queue rules for some apartment complex? No harder than going through and updating a list in notepad (or Excel if some of the fields can auto-increment) and then pasting the command into the terminal window. Vroom!

It does appear in the ARP table, but still not in the list of DHCP leases.

It didn't even occur to me that the Roku might be set to use a static IP address. I certainly don't remember telling it to do that. . .

So I checked the Roku settings, which are very limited, and there is certainly no option for static IP addresses. I redid its little "guided network setup" and now it has a new address and appears in the list of leases and arp table!

Whatever! Fixed!

What is not fixed, however, is my mangle rule! It still isn't seeing the vast majority of the traffic the roku is creating.

other people fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 3, 2012

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
What the gently caress, Roku!

code:
[admin@mikrobox] /ip dhcp-server lease> print
Flags: X - disabled, R - radius, D - dynamic, B - blocked 
 #   ADDRESS                         MAC-ADDRESS       HOST-NAME                SERVER                RATE-LIMIT                STATUS 
 0   10.20.30.3                      00:21:97:2E:XX:XX gnubuntu                 server1                                         bound  
 1 D 10.20.30.6                      00:04:20:07:XX:XX vinylbox                 server1                                         bound  
 2 D 10.20.30.7                      00:1D:FE:D1:XX:XX                          server1                                         bound  
 3 D 10.20.30.4                      00:22:58:17:XX:XX printer                  server1                                         bound  
 4   10.20.30.80                     00:0D:4B:63:XX:XX                          server1              
 5 D 10.20.30.8                      00:16:CB:B6:XX:XX crapbook                 server1                                         bound  
 6 D 10.20.30.11                     00:16:CB:CB:XX:XX crapbook                 server1                                         bound  
 7 D 10.20.30.5                      7C:61:93:A2:XX:XX android-aaa8522e5a3aaaaa server1                                         bound 
10.20.30.80 is the Roku, which is streaming netflix as that output was generated. Why is the status not bound? Why, when I make a mangle for that MAC address, does it never catch anything?

The winbox interface lists 10.20.30.80 as unused and "waiting". No active address/mac/hostname/expiration.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

CuddleChunks posted:

It looks like it's a static lease. Notice there's no "D" in the dynamic column. If you check the Roku's page does it show that it has that IP address? Did you set the Roku to that static IP so it isn't trying to request DHCP?

I made the DHCP lease static, because I was trying to mangle by IP since the mangle-by-mac was never picking it up. The Roku is using .80 via DHCP. I don't think the Roku even has the option to use static ips.

I will unstatic it and see what happens. . .

edit: Well now it is working. It grabbed .9 with no problem. I swear it wouldn't do this before!

Another question, should this queue tree not see all incoming traffic?

add burst-limit=0 burst-threshold=0 burst-time=0s disabled=no limit-at=0 max-limit=18M name=Incoming parent=global-in priority=8 \
queue=default

other people fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 18, 2012

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

CuddleChunks posted:

What are you trying to do with your queue? This is the main reference on it: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Queue But if you tell us what you want to accomplish that will help with writing up something that will work.

Oh and this is important:
/queue tree menu - for implementing advanced queuing tasks (such as global prioritization policy, user group limitations). Requires marked packet flows from /ip firewall mangle facility.

Yeah, I think I understand that the queue only operates on properly marked packets. Here is what I have:

code:
[admin@mikrobox] /ip firewall mangle> print
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid, D - dynamic 
 0   ;;; SSH
     chain=forward action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=priority_high passthrough=no layer7-protocol=ssh 

1   ;;; ARP/DHCP
     chain=postrouting action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=priority_critical passthrough=no protocol=udp out-interface=ether1-wan 
     src-port=68 dst-port=67 

2   ;;; DNS
     chain=postrouting action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=priority_critical passthrough=no protocol=udp out-interface=ether1-wan 
     dst-port=53 

3   ;;; TCP control packets
     chain=postrouting action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=priority_critical passthrough=no tcp-flags=fin,syn,rst protocol=tcp 
     out-interface=ether1-wan 

4   ;;; TCP ack
     chain=postrouting action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=priority_critical passthrough=no tcp-flags=ack protocol=tcp 
     out-interface=ether1-wan packet-size=40-89 

5   ;;; TCP new
     chain=postrouting action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=priority_critical passthrough=no connection-state=new protocol=tcp 
     out-interface=ether1-wan 

6   ;;; Torrent
     chain=postrouting action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=priority_files passthrough=no protocol=tcp src-port=24648-25658 

7   ;;; p2p
     chain=postrouting action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=priority_files passthrough=no p2p=all-p2p 

8   ;;; Crashplan
     chain=postrouting action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=priority_crashplan passthrough=no dst-address=50.93.246.1-50.93.246.255 

9   ;;; youtube
     chain=postrouting action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=priority_youtube passthrough=no layer7-protocol=youtube 

10   ;;; Roku
     chain=prerouting action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=priority_roku passthrough=no src-mac-address=00:0D:4B:63:17:BD 

11   ;;; Netflix
     chain=postrouting action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=priority_roku passthrough=no dst-address-list=netflix 

12   ;;; HTTP/HTTPS
     chain=postrouting action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=priority_surf passthrough=no protocol=tcp out-interface=ether1-wan 
     port=80,443 

[admin@mikrobox] /queue tree> print
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid 
 0   name="Outgoing" parent=global-out limit-at=0 priority=8 max-limit=2M burst-limit=0 burst-threshold=0 burst-time=0s 

1   name="High priority" parent=Outgoing packet-mark=priority_high limit-at=50k queue=default priority=4 max-limit=650k burst-limit=0 
     burst-threshold=0 burst-time=0s 

2   name="Critical" parent=Outgoing packet-mark=priority_critical limit-at=50k queue=default priority=1 max-limit=500k burst-limit=0 

3   name="Surfing" parent=Outgoing packet-mark=priority_surf limit-at=100k queue=default priority=6 max-limit=2M burst-limit=0 

4   name="Roku" parent=Outgoing packet-mark=priority_roku limit-at=150k queue=default priority=5 max-limit=2M burst-limit=0 

5   name="Crashplan" parent=Outgoing packet-mark=priority_crashplan limit-at=0 queue=default priority=8 max-limit=1500k burst-limit=0 

6   name="Files" parent=Outgoing packet-mark=priority_files limit-at=0 queue=default priority=8 max-limit=1500k burst-limit=0 

7   name="Incoming" parent=global-in limit-at=0 queue=default priority=8 max-limit=18M burst-limit=0 burst-threshold=0 burst-time=0s
I have to admit, I copied the ARP/DHCP/TCP/DNS stuff straight from a mikrotik forum post. I think I kind of grasp what it is doing, but I don't know enough to know if it is a good idea!

All in all, it works quite well as is, but we still have trouble with the Netflix/Roku being very slow to load and dropping the stream if Crashplan/Bit torrent are going nuts.

I think part of the problem is that the roku/netflix mangle rule doesn't seem to catch the streaming video. Also the video stream is obviously a download stream.

Is it because the streaming stuff is being caught by the TCP ack mangle rule, or is all that streaming stuff UDP?

I don't really know what I am talking about.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-637/MikroTik-RB751G-dsh-2HnD-Gigabit-Wireless/Detail.bok

"Stock arrives 5/22"

Funny I noticed this, because I finally got off my bum to cancel the order I placed for two of these on 2/22! I guess I will give it another week, and see if I really have snagged two for $120.

I am not getting my hopes up, but what's another week on top of three months!

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have on my desk a RB751G. I don't quite believe it.

And now I have prior engagements for the next few hours and can't play with it :(.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
And I can't get this to work. . .

I have a 450G acting as router, and for fun (ha) I am trying to setup the 751G as the wifi access point but on its own network.

The 450G is 10.20.30.0/24 and I made the 751G 10.20.40.0/24. I just modified the default config on the 751 so I think I may have missed something.

Pingin' is working but DNS is not.

450G config:
http://sprunge.us/hTRV

751G config:
http://sprunge.us/AQPh

Any ideas?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

falz posted:

'/export compact' is a lot easier to read

Oh. Easier still, if you are not being a moron. I hadn't set up a /30 (or any) network for the link between the two routers. I am a bit rusty. I also had to take the linked ports out of the switch bridge, etc.

For comedies sake, I setup RIP! (BGP seemed a little extreme.)

http://sprunge.us/GeCH

Is /export compact a new command? The 751G has 5.11 and it doesn't recognize it.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
This is frustrating.

I have 10.20.30.0/24 and 10.20.40.0/24, connected by 192.168.0.0/30.

From the 10.20.30.0 router I can ping any host on the other two networks, and the same is true from the 10.20.40.0 router. All hosts can reach the default gateway (i.e. surf the internets).

I cannot, however, ping from a host on the 10.20.30.0 network to the 10.20.40.0 or vice versa.

Can some one enlighten me as to what is going on here?

code:

10.20.30.0 router:
Flags: X - disabled, A - active, D - dynamic,
C - connect, S - static, r - rip, b - bgp, o - ospf, m - mme, 
B - blackhole, U - unreachable, P - prohibit 
 #      DST-ADDRESS        PREF-SRC        GATEWAY            DISTANCE
 0 ADS  0.0.0.0/0                          108.70.X.X              0
 1 ADC  10.20.30.0/24      10.20.30.1      default-bridge            0
 2 ADr  10.20.40.0/24                      192.168.0.2             120
 3 ADC  108.70.X.X/22      108.70.X.X      ether1-wan                0
 4 ADC  192.168.0.0/30     192.168.0.1     ether5-local              0

10.20.40.0 router:
 #      DST-ADDRESS        PREF-SRC        GATEWAY            DISTANCE
 0 ADr  0.0.0.0/0                          192.168.0.1             120
 1 ADr  10.20.30.0/24                      192.168.0.1             120
 2 ADC  10.20.40.0/24      10.20.40.1      default-bridge            0
 3 ADC  192.168.0.0/30     192.168.0.2     ether1-gateway            0

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

falz posted:

Aren't each of your 10.x networks behind NAT?

As far as I know, NAT is only on packets leaving port 1 of the 10.20.30.0 network, or at least that was my intention. . .

Now that I have updated the 751 to 5.17. . .

http://sprunge.us/HBCS

http://sprunge.us/SNJY

edit: Ahhhhhh.

I noticed one of my wifi devices is now online and connected to a local server, which wasn't working before. God knows what fixed it, because I didn't change anything. Now I can ping hosts between networks, BUT:

code:
chronos@localhost / $ tracepath -n 10.20.30.3
 1:  10.20.40.124                                          0.283ms pmtu 1500
 1:  no reply
 1:  10.20.40.1                                          4030.787ms 
 1:  10.20.40.1                                          1125.000ms 
 2:  192.168.0.1                                         454.838ms 
 3:  10.20.30.3                                          433.826ms !H
     Resume: pmtu 1500 
That was a good one :/. What is going on here??

other people fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 5, 2012

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

chizad posted:

Xagyl Communications

I ordered a device from them a few months ago, it came up as order #34 or something cute like that. It took a while to show up, but it was the right thing and nothing funny happened with the CC that I noticed.

I am not eager to order from them again, but it worked, so whatever.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

chizad posted:

That gives me a bit more confidence in them, but I ended up just spending the extra :10bux: and ordered from r0c-n0c. My order already shipped and should be here tomorrow, but it may not be until next week that I get a chance to get everything set up.

I bought a mikrotik from them that came with a bent ethernet port and my email to them was not responded to :/. It's all a crap shoot.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

FISHMANPET posted:

I've got a friend with a two story house, and a single wifi router doesn't cover the whole thing. He'd like to have to APs on the same wireless network (so he could walk around the house without having to switch networks). Can MikroTik do that?

I set up two UniFi APs in a large home some time ago and it was easy as pie and I have not had to touch it since. http://www.ubnt.com/unifi

Having said that, I am sure mikrotik has products that would work as well.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

kiwid posted:

Before I buy this Airport Extreme, can it be put in AP only mode? She already has a comcast modem that is also a router which does firewall+nat and I don't really want to gently caress with having her put it in bridged mode over the phone.

Get a Ubiquiti UniFi AP. They are wonderful.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
What is the cheapest LACP-capable gigabit switch you guys are aware of?

The RB260GS with SwOS doesn't seem to do it, but I don't care if it is a mikrotik device or not.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

SamDabbers posted:

How many ports? The 8-port Netgear GS108T is under $100, and it's worked well for me.

falz posted:

I would guess some HP or Dell Powerconnect (non-force10) switch would be least expensive.

I should have said lots of ports is not important. In that case, a RB750GL might be the cheapest option...

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Muga posted:

That's right.
In case my previous post wasn't clear, when I refer to router, that's the physical box provided by my ISP. The hAP is set up in Bridge mode.

To illustrate the problem I just tested this tonight. The Chromecast was connected to the hAP's wireless, with my phone and tablet connected to the router's wireless. The Plex app showed the Chromecast as an available device, I connected to it, and the Plex splash screen appeared on the Chromecast output on TV.
Then I tried to play some media and get an error.

I switched off the wireless on my router, so everything was connected to the hAP, and was able to play the media no problem.

So whatever protocol, port, or something that is being used to send the media to the Chromecast is where the problem seems to lie.
I appreciate this is perhaps not a MikroTik issue but I was hoping the solution lies somewhere in its or the router's config, to allow everything to communicate seamlessly across the bridged network...

I am not strong with mikrotik specially but it sounds like both wireless APs are part of the same broadcast domain and that multicast between them works ( I assume chromecast is using multicast to locate devices). That's all good.

Is there some leftover firewall policy on the hAP device getting in the way?

Have you tried casting from a google app/stream and not the plex? Maybe there is some plex-specific issue.

Otherwise I would just packet capture to see what is actually going on and/or find the chrome casting specifications so you can understand exactly what is supposed to happen and then just step through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
maybe i missed something but it sounds as if the system still has its IP assigned but has not renewed it's lease?

Does it use dhclient or something else? Is that process still running? check out the dhclient man page, you could force it to renew the lease...