Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Does the 750G do multi-WAN worth a drat? Ideally I'd like source port based routing, along with NAT IP based routing. e.g Traffic on port 550 goes out WAN2, and anyone in the .200-.225 range also uses WAN2, but all other IPs, and all other ports use WAN1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while now. Would the RB493G be massive overkill compared to any of the other multi-WAN soho routers on the market? And do the wireless g/n cards they sell work well?

Also, how much of a ratfucker is it to set of the routes using the GUI configuration tools they give you?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Welp, my old router was taking a poo poo, so I decided that gently caress everything, it's time to get a big boy router. So I bought a 493G with a R2N wireless card, and two 7 dBi omni antennas.

Now it's time to figure out how to do multi-queue QoS on two or more connections with different link speeds and throughput caps.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

CuddleChunks posted:

Hahaha I love Mikrotiks. The very idea that you can consider doing this kind of nonsense without paying thousands of dollars is a real joy. Good luck to you!

Yeah, they're powerful little devices. Hopefully doing that won't be akin to striking myself repeatedly in the dick with a hammer.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
So I'm going to end up getting Gigabit fiber to my house in the next 6 months, and now I need to get a router that can handle it. I have a little RB493G, and my 200 mbit service pegs the CPU at 99% when speedtesting, and my config only consists of a bridge to wifi works, dstnat for generic NAT, packet tagging for some internal routing witchery, and DNS/dhcp.

What model router would you fine folks suggest that would allow me to setup QoS at 1 gbit/sec throughput?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Wohoo, disabled tagging and CPU dropped from 99% to ~76ish. I might end up getting that one, but I'm not sure how badly QoS mangles the CPU. I may need to get the cloud core router, which is just silly powerful, but also stupid expensive.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The_Franz posted:

You might as well just spend the extra $75 and get a CCR1009 if you want to be future-proof. That thing will easily push full-duplex gigabit speeds with a full set of firewall rules and QoS.

I just dropped the cash for a CCR1009-8G-1S-1S+. Now I get to go hunting for a good set of QoS scripts on the forums. Anyone know of a decent guide for this kind of thing someplace?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

thebigcow posted:

How good are the CCR series? Reading that thread on their forums it looks like a horror show but maybe that's just a few weirdos.

Brand new CPU architecture, brand new features, traditional Latvian Engineering. It doesn't help that it's brand new. I figure most of the really egregious poo poo will be fixed by RouterOS 7.X

Apparently the MiPSbe architecture did the same thing years ago when it came out.

My CCR should be arriving today, I'll take some unboxing pictures and some interface screenshots.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

jeeves posted:

Like the most recent "oops your DHCP wasn't working or on or whatever"

Yeah, there are some hilarious gems to be found in those changelogs. But it looks like from 6.0 to 6.15, they got most of those issues resolved.

That and I'm not using this for much more than dstnat, some port forwarding and 1-to-1 NAT forwarding, and not much else. DNS/DHCP is done through my server 2012 box, and if the fancy QoS rules take a few months to end up working right, that's not a huge deal. Being able to actually route gigabit internet is.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

CuddleChunks posted:

Updated the OP with a few notes and changed some out of date sections. Ditched the programming guide I made way back when because it's just plain mortifying now. Happily, the defaults on an RB951 are sensible right out of the box so it needs as much programming as any Linksys or Netgear.

But butbutbut ANYPONY can program a Mikrotik!

You have no god damned idea how hard that was to explain to a coworker when I was trying to get my RB493G working that first time.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

CuddleChunks posted:

I am so ashamed of that stupid thing because when I made it, this pony poo poo was silly and fairly nice. Then the bronies arrived and oh dear god no, no more anypony programming guide. Hahahah, it was mostly made to irritate my coworkers. They still have a few paper copies hanging around the office. :)

So initial trip report on the CCR1009, well built, has an actual power supply in the back (redundant even!). The on screen display is shockingly useful for doing the initial interface addressing, and to reset the config when you gently caress up the password because Logitech decided that cheaping out on a keyboard is a great idea.

200mbit/sec speed test went from 76-99% on my little RB493G to ~6% total load on the new CCR. Once the fiber shows up, I'm gonna have some fun just chewing on things.

Just for shits and giggles, I think I'll set up the SPF+ port on it and see how it likes routing 10GbE iperf traffic.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

xevz posted:

That is correct, Winbox runs perfectly in Wine though.

No, they recently announced a routerboard with 5 GHz support only, but they don't have any mixed frequency APs. My solution to this is a RB493G with two mini PCI-Express WLAN cards.

I'll probably end up doing something similar for my old RB493G, adding a 5 Ghz N/AC card and antennas to the 2.4ghz A/B/G card.

Edit: When Mikrotik decides to release it, sometime in 2015.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 30, 2014

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

jeeves posted:

It sucks that I'll have to software bridge it but on a CCR I wonder how fast that would be due to the beefer CPU. I've always just assumed software bridging is much, much slower than switch chip stuff.

The router only has a 350-500Mbps uplink connection via radio, so the bridging slower speeds probably don't matter.

Apparently when the software bridging is set up for a CPU more or less designed for IP routing, it's pretty stupid fast.

A 9 core CCR can software bridge at like 3+ Gb/sec.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

jeeves posted:

I guess when I saw the mW I thought it was actually MW, which is quite a difference.

But having that thing a couple of feet away from where I sleep did make me wonder when I saw the 50mW versus 1000mW difference, heh.

God, a 1000MW omnidirectional wireless G card would power fry pretty much anything within a dozen meters, and gently caress up anything and everything that has a wireless antenna for a few hundred miles.

At 1 GW transmitted power, you could dangle a turkey from a stick at 75 meters and have it absorb 1000W of microwave radiation, assuming the transmitter was an idealized spherical emitter.

That kind of power would allow you to get reasonably good wifi service on the moon. Possibly mars as well if you upped the TCP rwin and timeouts sufficiently.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

jeeves posted:

More update fun: 6.24 is on the /system packages update, but nothing is on their website or forum about an official release.

As always I am kind of annoyed with the updates because nothing is a fully stable release ever, it's mostly just a monthly release of the current state of their fixes that are usually 4 steps forward and 1 step back.

Cisco is the same way, minus hilarious latvian changelogs. Pick the features that NEED to work, pick an iOS version with the minimal number of crippling bugs.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

jeeves posted:

The CCR1009 is only like $420 but also has a switch chip on 4 ports too, and an SFP+ along with SFP. It's really nice for a mid-end beefy router, seeing how the 9x1.2Ghz CPU and 2GB of ram is miles above the CRS/RB750's 600mhz CPU and 128mb of ram

I got a CCR1009 for my home network after my poor little RB493G ended up sitting at 100% CPU usage while trying to push ~100mb/sec of traffic with some packet tagging and routing rules. Same rules, same tagging, 250mb/sec stream, CPU sits at ~8% or so. Thing is a loving beast. And now that glorious latvian engineering has a chance to unbork all the things they messed up with the tile chipset, they're remarkably stable.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

thebigcow posted:

How many things are still limited to one core? Other than general Latvian quirks that seems to be most of the bitching about Tilera based models on their forums.

I thought they were going to abandon PowerPC but then the RB850Gx2 came out. Also Normis said the new RB3011 was based on this and I have no idea what it is.

The newer firmwares spread this over a lot more cores than before. I don't actually use this as much more than a DD-WRT box that's been fed a shitload of anabolic steroids, but even when I iperf the thing trying to make it sad, the cored load up pretty evenly.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

jeeves posted:

Of course posting the problem on the Mikrotik forum is like pissing into the wind.

If it's dropping packets, but only from the switch ports, it may be a defective switch chip. It's known to happen on occasion, and if the poor little switch chip faults out, the router will fault the ports and relink them once the chip recovers. If it goes away completely once you stop using the chip, see about getting an RMA for it.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

CuddleChunks posted:

The defaults in the RB951 are for a router doing NAT with ether1 acting as WAN and 2-5 part of the LAN. Plug it in, it'll try and pick up an IP through DHCP off the WAN port and hand out IP's in the 192.168.88.x range to your computers. There's a web interface for basic config stuff but Winbox or the terminal are the more powerful ways to work with it.

Hope it suits your needs.

You an also use the Pretty Pony Guide to Programming a Mikrotik Router, which is exactly what it sounds like. A glorious intersection point on the venn diagram of nerds who like ponies a little too much, and nerds who need to program their fancy new router. And still easier to follow than 90% of the guides posted on the forums and wiki.

jeeves posted:

Well, I wasn't using the switch chip, the entire thing was just routing. But otherwise it sounds exactly right-- ether1-ether4 would drop for 1-2 seconds and then pick right back up.

Aha, I figured it out why it hasn't been repeating. My coworker plugged into ether5 to do testing all weekend instead of ether1 like I asked. That would probably explain why it hasn't replicated the problem!

You can also set up a fake network and use iperf to hammer the poo poo out of the ports to try and force a failure. The chips tend to fault way more under heavy load.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 30, 2015

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

kiwid posted:

Thinking about purchasing these CCR1009-8G-1S-1S+PC for ~12 branch locations. Anyone have any comments on these?

The one I have at home works fine for what I use it for.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

CuddleChunks posted:

:reject: Is bestest version. Always is bestest. You install now. Send support.out to moose. Moose bring to programmer. Programmer tell you is not bug, is feature.

No, is potato.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Ok, I'm super sad the pony guide for setup no longer works/exists. I was gonna show that to a buddy who just bought one, but alas.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

thebigcow posted:

QuickFig is pretty good for most uses. What is he trying to do?

I just wanted to show it to him as a 'see this is the kind of thing that exists'. It's like a rule of the internet, you can find someone who put a pony in anything, including a setup guide for a strange Latvian router os.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Depending on the PoE power device and the router/AP, it could do nothing, or it could fry the passive device. Who knows. Theoretically no, but why chance it?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Partycat posted:

So what’s their future then ?

A big warehouse fire and a fat insurance payout.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

redeyes posted:

I'm also losing confidence in their stuff. In the past it was kind of worth it for the cost savings but things have changed.

Basically everyone who makes internet facing networking gear is getting the poo poo hammered out of them now. Mikrotik is just the latest round of casualties. Cisco had some amazing as gently caress vulnerabilities a while back, and new ones keep getting discovered.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Pendent posted:

I have a lot less to say about their software offerings like WAAS aside from to say that I agree it's a lot less good that their core products. I'm referring to their mainline routing and switching gear though- stuff like Nexus series switches or ASRs. There are vulnerabilities to be sure but I haven't seen anything as egregious as this Winbox vuln from them in a long time.

Not nearly as transparently loving bad, but there is a lot of sketchy poo poo in Cisco's various product offerings, though you're right, their core routing gear doesn't seem to have anything really bad in recent memory. All the fancy enterprise grade management services that touch them though? Those seem to have a good deal more fun CVEs released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Thanks Ants posted:

Mikrotik products are the type that if you could combine 50% of two products into a new device they would be perfect.

Ahh, the Ubiquity solution!