Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Roddick and Raonic are playing a pretty epic match here. It's 7-6 6-7 so far, as you might expect from a couple of huge servers. Raonic saved 3 championship points in the last tiebreaker before finally taking it :hellyeah: Third set is just underway.

e: there's a live stream on Sportsnet.ca, not sure if it works outside of Canada though.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/tennis/live_regions_morgan_keegan/

colonel_korn fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Demented Guy posted:

Milos forcing a third set. Wow. He's not getting rattled at all.

That was an awesome tiebreak.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

Milos is unraveling :(

e: Nice job to avoid another break. Not dead yet.

e2:Aaand he breaks back :toot:. Shame on me for doubting him.

Gobias Ind. fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 21, 2011

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

Holy gently caress that championship point :psyduck:

Roddick had no idea where that ball went.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Yeah I can't believe that fricking play by Roddick, good lord. :stare:
I was obv. pulling for Raonic but it's tough to be too upset about losing to that kind of play.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
That was a great match a good test of character for Raonic. He will only get better from here. He needs to rest for a bit in my opinion before joining another tourney. He just went non-stop since the Aussie tournament.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Demented Guy posted:

That was a great match a good test of character for Raonic. He will only get better from here. He needs to rest for a bit in my opinion before joining another tourney. He just went non-stop since the Aussie tournament.

Haha well, he's playing in the Acapulco tournament that starts tomorrow, so much for that.

It's on clay so it'll be interesting to see how he fares -- conventional wisdom would be that his serve won't be as big of a weapon, so he might struggle. Would be funny if he beat Verdasco given the latter's comments earlier this week, but they can't meet until the finals. Milos has got a tough draw, he'll probably end up playing Dolgopolov in the second round: http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2011/807/mds.pdf

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
For those of you that are interested in last weeks tournament results:

Regions Morgan Keegan Championships
Where: Memphis, Tennessee

Champion: Andy Roddick

Open 13
Where: Marseille, France

Champion: Robin Soderling

Copa Claro
Where: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Champion: Nicolas Almagro

This week we have:

Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships

Where: Dubai, UAE
Surface: Hard
Prize Money: $1,619,500

Top Seed: Roger Federer
Defending Champion: Novak Djokovic

Abierto Mexicano Telcel

Where: Acapulco, Mexico
Surface: Clay
Prize Money: $1,100,000

Top Seed: David Ferrer
Defending Champion: David Ferrer

Delray Beach International Tennis Championships

Where: Delray Beach, Florida
Surface: Hard
Prize Money: $442,500

Top Seed: Andy Roddick
Defending Champion: Ernests Gulbis (not playing)

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
Mario Ancic has announced his retirement. Shame that he never really got to show us what he could do.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

So Djokovic just beat Federer in straight sets again to win the Dubai Open. Roger's still ranked ahead of him, but I wonder for how long that'll be the case. Djokovic has won all 12 matches he's played this year.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Federer played absolutely god awful that match, so if he continues that level of play then Djokovic might be ranked ahead of him as soon as Monte Carlo in April.

In other news Del Potro is in his first final since 2009 at Delray Beach :unsmith:.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

In even more awesome news he managed to win that final. He seemed to have no gas in the tank so he'll lose to better guys but it's nice to see him win won at least.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

The wrist kiss was awesome :3:. That win will mean the world to Del Potro, hopefully he'll get into the top 30 by year end.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Agassi v. Sampras ya'll, on ESPN 2 or ESPN3.com.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Come on guys, this is a great match, why aren't you watching?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

HanabaL03 posted:

Come on guys, this is a great match, why aren't you watching?

This rules. Go Pete go.

American Tennis :allears:

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
interesting fact: did you know that there's women's tennis?

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
Indian Wells coming up! All the big names are competing. Should be a fun tournament.

Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

There are four kinds of Homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy.
So I guess Serena Williams got a pulmonary embolism and is out for the forseeable future:

espn posted:

NEW YORK -- Tennis star Serena Williams underwent "emergency treatment" Monday, days after doctors discovered a blood clot in her lungs, People magazine reported.

Spokeswoman Nicole Chabot told the magazine that Williams "underwent emergency treatment for a hematoma suffered as a result of treatment for a more critical situation."

Williams suffered from a pulmonary embolism last week, Chabot said. The 29-year-old Williams is being treated at a Los Angeles hospital.

"Doctors are continuing to monitor her situation closely to avoid additional complications," Chabot told the magazine.

The winner of 13 Grand Slam titles, Williams attended Sunday night's Elton John AIDS Foundation Academy Awards Viewing Party.

On Tuesday night, Williams posted on her Twitter account "Tough day." A few minutes later she retweeted Kim Kardashian.

Williams has been sidelined by two operations on her right foot after getting cut by glass at a restaurant, and has not played a competitive match since winning Wimbledon on July 3.

Chabot also told the magazine that the embolism was discovered after she returned to Los Angeles from New York "for doctor appointments for the ongoing issues with her foot."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=6173737

The ESPN Medical guy said that he expected her to be out 6-12 months, mostly due to having to be on blood thinning medications (odds are coumadin). He said that playing tennis while on them isn't that safe due to the risk of hitting your head etc.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Mandoira posted:

So I guess Serena Williams got a pulmonary embolism and is out for the forseeable future:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=6173737

The ESPN Medical guy said that he expected her to be out 6-12 months, mostly due to having to be on blood thinning medications (odds are coumadin). He said that playing tennis while on them isn't that safe due to the risk of hitting your head etc.

A friend had this and she was unable to do any sort of physical activity for a full 6 months (and she was a long distance runner). So that's 6 months of Serena getting way out of shape... I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't come back from this.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Demented Guy posted:

Indian Wells coming up! All the big names are competing. Should be a fun tournament.

I love this tournament. My parents house is less than a mile from the tennis gardens, so the big names are always around the city :3:

I am Bob
Apr 29, 2009

Scipiotik posted:

A friend had this and she was unable to do any sort of physical activity for a full 6 months (and she was a long distance runner). So that's 6 months of Serena getting way out of shape... I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't come back from this.

Yeah, I mean she might try to come back, but if she has to sit out another year on top of how much she has missed already, I can't imagine she being very effective. Sucks because I always liked to watch her play.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

The record for fastest serve has been broken this weekend!

Previous Record - Andy Roddick 155mph
New Record - Ivo Karlovic 156mph

:toot:

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

charismaslover posted:

The record for fastest serve has been broken this weekend!

Previous Record - Andy Roddick 155mph
New Record - Ivo Karlovic 156mph

:toot:

I haven't used a ball machine in a long, long time, do they even have a "155 mph" setting? I don't know how you train to return a serve that fast.

Hijinkz
Apr 11, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Whoa, I've always wanted to see a tennis thread but never thought there would be enough interest! Who knew? Unfortunately these days I don't follow much besides the occasional news on the ATP site and the slams. Which talented young'uns are you guys rooting for to make a big breakthrough this year? Gulbis, Raonic, Dolgopolov, Nishikori, Dimitrov, Berankis, or someone below the radar? I guess Del Potro still counts too since he's only 22 but his would be a comeback instead of breakthrough.

Personally I wanna see Delpo get back to world-beater form, Nishikori complete "Project 45," and Dimitrov prove his worth as Federer's apparent heir to the one-handed backhand all-courter throne.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Bout time I visited the tennis thread. Just in time for a major, too.

-Nike hosted an exhibition with Maria Sharapova, Victoria Azarenka, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer at the University of Oregon tonight. It owned hard. Sharapova and Azarenka played at half-speed but got competitive and even talked to the fans a bit. Nadal and Federer went eighth-speed but also appeared to be enjoying themselves. They also played a mixed doubles set with John McEnroe as the chair umpire (he also replaced Federer for two points). McEnroe warned Federer for complaining.

-Speaking of Azarenka: She seems like a sweet person with a big forehand and enough of a serve but I don't know how aggressive she is. Even in an exhibition match she wouldn't come to net more than once or twice. She's ranked ninth in the world right now but I could see that go up.

-If Roddick doesn't find another Slam win within him I don't see it happening for a long while. Isner has no desire to be a complete player. Donald Young is a bust. Mardy Fish is fun to watch but has hit his ceiling. James Blake is James Blake. Just a fundamentally flawed group of candidates out there, and with the off-and-on Williams sisters picking their spots in women's tennis the American itch is never scratched.

-Raonic owns.

-Cannot loving wait for the next major. Please come as fast as you can.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Indian Wells is underway, brackets/results here: Men | Women

All the major players on the Men's side are there, it'll be interesting to see if Djokovic can stay undefeated in 2011. Raonic is playing a Turkish guy today, if he wins then he plays Fish again and could meet Federer in the fourth round if he makes it that far, that'd be cool. Possible Dolgopolov/del Potro matchup in the third round as well. :cool:

Tomanocu
Mar 2, 2011

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

-If Roddick doesn't find another Slam win within him I don't see it happening for a long while. Isner has no desire to be a complete player. Donald Young is a bust. Mardy Fish is fun to watch but has hit his ceiling. James Blake is James Blake. Just a fundamentally flawed group of candidates out there, and with the off-and-on Williams sisters picking their spots in women's tennis the American itch is never scratched.

As long as the US policy on tennis continues to be "if you can afford it, you can play it", we will not have a new crop of good players for a long time. Most competitive tennis nations have national tennis programs designed to support the development of the sport. In the US, unfortunately, there is no national program to encourage the sport, while most 13 year olds are quitting tennis to play one of the real sports (i.e. football, baseball, basketball, and even soccer)

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Tomanocu posted:

As long as the US policy on tennis continues to be "if you can afford it, you can play it", we will not have a new crop of good players for a long time. Most competitive tennis nations have national tennis programs designed to support the development of the sport. In the US, unfortunately, there is no national program to encourage the sport, while most 13 year olds are quitting tennis to play one of the real sports (i.e. football, baseball, basketball, and even soccer)

The United States as a nation is real resistant to government-sponsored sports academies. The onus is on USTA to come up with something better.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Karlovic just put Ferrer out in straight sets :toot:

Now Nadal doesn't have any excuses to not make the semi's. Del Potro v Ljubicic is pretty boring right now.

Edit - Ahahahaha, Donald Young beats Murray in straight sets.

charismaslover fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 13, 2011

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Nice to see Del Potro come through. Hilarious to see Murray go out to Young of all people.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

:swoon: MILOS :swoon: through to the third round after beating Fish again. Looks like it was a pretty evenly-played match, the difference being that Raonic was 2-for-2 on break points and Fish was... 0-for-8. Ouch.

Really hope we get to see Raonic/Federer in the fourth round, even though I don't think Raonic really has enough tools to beat him at this point.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Christ, why do Dolgopolov and Del Potro have to play each other? I don't want to see either one lose in the third round.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Anyone picking up Top Spin 4? I played the demo and liked it a lot. I might grab it with my next paycheck.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Harrison over Raonic in a great 3-setter. I saw him play at the open last year, hope he keeps improving.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

That was a pretty good match between Harrison and Raonic. It's been really cool this year to see a bunch of even younger guys coming in playing really well.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

ChaosReaper posted:

That was a pretty good match between Harrison and Raonic. It's been really cool this year to see a bunch of even younger guys coming in playing really well.
Harrison's got some fire in him that I haven't seen in any of the other young Americans. Playing on home soil doesn't hurt either.

Raonic losing was nothing to be upset about. He came back from 0-40 in the second set at 4-4 and blasted off the last 8 of the 10 points to take the set. Also, he fended off around four match points. He's a cool customer, and props to Harrison for getting it done in the end though. He was definitely the more aggressive player.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

HanabaL03 posted:

Anyone picking up Top Spin 4? I played the demo and liked it a lot. I might grab it with my next paycheck.

Yeah I'll be picking it up on Friday. I liked that you have to pay more attention to timing and position now, plus there's always the upside of beating down video game Murray and Nadal.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Watching Andy Roddick lose is far more fun than watching him win. His sarcastic arguing with the umpire made a match that was okay hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

ChaosReaper posted:

Watching Andy Roddick lose is far more fun than watching him win. His sarcastic arguing with the umpire made a match that was okay hilarious.
Amen.

'So now you're emasculated by the net machine' after the umpire said he thought Andy's serve was way over the net but called it anyways cause the machine beeped.

• Locked thread