Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In Training posted:

Sylvando ftw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sylvando is real and strong and is my friend.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

One of the best scenes was when Sylvandos dad asked him if completed his mission as knight of smiles then yells at him to get back out there until it's finished.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Mustached Demon posted:

One of the best scenes was when Sylvandos dad asked him if completed his mission as knight of smiles then yells at him to get back out there until it's finished.

DQ:11 was just magical :allears:.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sylvando is the only character who isn't with you for a super special reason and is just there because it's not within him to turn away and leave people to suffer

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
https://kotaku.com/dragon-quest-12-producer-delays-1851391503

quote:

Bloomberg reports that a top producer on the series, Yu Miyake, is stepping down from the series as part of Square’s reorganization, and will now be leading development at the company’s mobile games division. Miyake, who has been with the Dragon Quest franchise since 1992, has reportedly been moved there following a number of delays to the upcoming Dragon Quest XII. Announced back in 2021, little else has been heard about Dragon Quest 12 until now, which doesn’t inspire much hope this game will see the light of day anytime soon.

Well that doesn't sound great. :smith:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bloomberg also reports the switch pro every couple months though

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm not terribly worried about 12's development because there was quite a long time between 11 being publicly announced and the first screenshots being shown off. Just seems like the way they do things.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I have faith they'll release a good game eventually. Hopefully it won't be a decade though

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not worried about the game being delayed. I'm worried about it being rushed. I'll wait however long is needed for it! If it even comes close to how much I loved DQXI, I'll love it and consider the wait worth every second.

The article makes it sound like the producer was kicked out because of the slow development and S-E wants them to go faster.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Srice posted:

I'm not terribly worried about 12's development because there was quite a long time between 11 being publicly announced and the first screenshots being shown off. Just seems like the way they do things.

Always funny to think about how dqxi was the first switch game ever announced

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

In Training posted:

Lol i remember that

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

In Training posted:

lol no way

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Yeah I was bracing myself for that too and then it turns out that he's actually the most noble and pure hero character in the entire story and he happens to really like flamboyant showmanship and hell who doesn't?

I noticed DQ11 does the baiting you with a bad anime trope only to do it right several times.

As you said, you expect Sylvando to be a tired gay stereotype but he's actually great.

Veronica is a "little girl who's actually older than she looks" but that's never used to justify skeevy stuff, instead it's mostly used to make jokes for being refused alcohol and because it's funny seeing her bossing her sister, who's 3x times taller, around.

Rab is a dirty old man, but directs his perviness at "literature" and professionals, he's never a creep to his female companions.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In Training posted:

Yeah lol. I'm hoping they repeat that again with whatever the Switch successor is.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

They also made XI twice. There was the modern console version and the 3DS version, which itself was two versions of the game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Srice posted:

Yeah, remember the DQ3 HD2D announcement? It's coming. Eventually.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I find myself wishing there was an easier, modern way to play DQ4 (or 5 or 6), or 8. Emulation is always an option but I'd love to just sit down on my PS5 or something and enjoy DQ4 in a modern form. The DS games are impossible for me to play these days, especially without my reading glasses (yes I'm old). DQ8 does really well on PC with the texture packs and such but it still requires some set up and I like to just game these days.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think the phone ports have been decent for those.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If they have difficulty with the ds screens, the phone versions probably atent gonna be much better. Unless you can play the phone ports on a tablet or something

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
There's a Google Play Games beta on PC that I thought about trying but the games aren't listed there. And yeah I don't do a lot of phone gaming because I find myself needing my reading glasses to play without squinting.

Old guy problems, I guess.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I believe dq5 was released on ps2, at least

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

Levantine posted:

There's a Google Play Games beta on PC that I thought about trying but the games aren't listed there. And yeah I don't do a lot of phone gaming because I find myself needing my reading glasses to play without squinting.

Old guy problems, I guess.

the mobile ports aren't great on anything but a cellphone because for some god forsaken reason they don't have any controller support, they're touch screen only.

so your options that aren't playing on a mobile phone or DS screen are:

a) android emulator (bluestacks, mumuplayer, etc) and then manually set up controller emulation by moving around macros on the virtual touch screen and linking them to buttons, but it'll also be in a vertical resolution only iirc? remember it not looking great and having input lag issues occasionally, might have just been me though.

b) emulate the DS versions and play them with the emulator's built in controller support, also at higher resolutions and the ability to customize the size and orientation of the screens.

there's no real difference (afaik?) between most of the games outside of the US version of DQ4 for DS missing the "party talk" feature the japanese (and later mobile) one got. they didn't remove it in any of the other ports, but someone recently did a patch for the japanese rom of DQ4 to add the english script from the mobile port to it and restore the missing feature, so they are now at parity with each other.

imo emulating the DS versions is currently the way to go for 4 through 6 if you want to play them on a larger screen. I'd kill for them to re-release the games on literally anything modern w/ proper controller support etc, but it seems they have 0 interest. and with how god awful the newer switch ports of 1 - 3 came out I feel like they'd have some sort of disgusting fonts or art replacements so... hopefully the dq3 release does well enough they just remake them in that style instead.

Blankspace fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 12, 2024

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I’m playing 4 right now and yes it is the worst availability it seems. The only options are the famicom original and the ds version which is the piss-ugly dq7 ps1 engine but at even lower resolution

There’s not even a fan translation for the ps1 version with the full 240p resolution

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 14, 2024

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Blankspace posted:

imo emulating the DS versions is currently the way to go for 4 through 6 if you want to play them on a larger screen. I'd kill for them to re-release the games on literally anything modern w/ proper controller support etc, but it seems they have 0 interest. and with how god awful the newer switch ports of 1 - 3 came out I feel like they'd have some sort of disgusting fonts or art replacements so... hopefully the dq3 release does well enough they just remake them in that style instead.

Are the switch ports of 1-3 not just ports of the mobile versions? What's godawful about them?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They're just ports of the mobile versions.

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

raditts posted:

Are the switch ports of 1-3 not just ports of the mobile versions? What's godawful about them?

They are not. The switch version of 1 for example looks like this:

...while the mobile version looks like this:

So mostly the spritework for the characters and enemies was replaced with artwork that clashes really heavily with the design of the rest of the game. Neither versions are perfect, but I really disliked the Switch aesthetics. The Switch versions look very similar to the mobile & first PC ports of the SNES Final Fantasy games which I also really disliked. Something about the clash of artstyles and the UI design they use just feels really cheap and gross. The mobile ports have some issues with scrolling and scaling occasionally, but feel way more consistent.

If the style that Square was releasing their 2D ports in during this time doesn't bother you, great! I just really don't like it compared to the way more pleasing and consistent look of their newer ports like the Pixel Remasters etc. They're otherwise probably fine.

Blankspace fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 15, 2024

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Both versons look bad but for different reasons. The Switch version would be fine if the sprites and menus didn't look like default RPG Maker assets intended for a higher res game than the map tileset while the mobile version just looks like a squashed mess.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Evil Fluffy posted:

Both versons look bad but for different reasons. The Switch version would be fine if the sprites and menus didn't look like default RPG Maker assets intended for a higher res game than the map tileset while the mobile version just looks like a squashed mess.

the glitched out graphics are wild with the eye blasting primary colors. I tried to play it high, long ago, and it was A Bit Much 😬

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah, it's kind of a "pick your poison" type thing. Please do Pixel Remaster for Dragon Quest I => 6 asap Squeenix thank you (or just release the existing ports on PC so they can be modded)

EDIT: Apparently there's mods for the Switch ports of 1 and 2 to add the pixel art back, so I guess that's probably the actual best modern console version if you have CFW. Looks like they dropped the plans to do it for DQIII though.

Blankspace fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 15, 2024

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
We will, in theory, get the DQ3 2DHD remake eventually which should be the definitive version of 3 at least.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

I believe dq5 was released on ps2, at least

It did tho the fan translation isn't great and you might want to use another version if you can't read Japanese very well. The story is accurate but a lot of the names of people and towns aren't as accurate as they could be and it kind of annoyed me. Still a great version of the game, though.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Mr E posted:

The story is accurate but a lot of the names of people and towns aren't as accurate as they could be and it kind of annoyed me.

Are you sure? I think that translation is as close to the source as possible with regard to names.

Though It definitely doesn't implement the amazing puns that the DQ is now known for.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Today, I defeated Calasmos. On the second attempt, that is. So after going through all the effort to create a second, stronger Sword of Light, I need to switch to the old, weak version in order to weaken the boss. I'm sorry, but that is just STUPID.

Had a good time apart from that, though.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I think you just need to use it as an item, you don't need to equip it or anything. Though, I didn't cop that myself, and fought through the buffed up version. I know I'm not alone there

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I dual wielded both swords so it wasn’t an issue for me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I dual wielded both but never used it as an item because I had no idea you were supposed to do that, so it was very difficult.

Simply hitting it with the swords doesn't do poo poo, you have to use it as an item

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Alxprit posted:

I think you just need to use it as an item, you don't need to equip it or anything. Though, I didn't cop that myself, and fought through the buffed up version. I know I'm not alone there
i tried using the best sword of light as an item and it didnt do anything so i just fought through it. I was level 99 so it wasn't actually that difficult anyway