Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
I’m enjoying Dragon Quest 6’s cast a reasonable amount but I’m very confused by some of the balancing decisions. Is Ashlynn, like, ever going to gain HP? I have her classed as a mage since it seems like her intended role is to blow things up real good, but would it be better to invest in a different class so she doesn’t die immediately to anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ran Rannerson posted:

I’m enjoying Dragon Quest 6’s cast a reasonable amount but I’m very confused by some of the balancing decisions. Is Ashlynn, like, ever going to gain HP? I have her classed as a mage since it seems like her intended role is to blow things up real good, but would it be better to invest in a different class so she doesn’t die immediately to anything?

Ashlynn gets Magic Burst eventually so she wants a lot of MP, plus Sage’s HP penalty isn’t nearly as harsh as Mage’s is. I think she got nerfed from the SNES version though which excebreates her frailness; characters had innate elemental resistances, and hers were to the crowd control elements iirc, so, you know. The devs were aware that her durability was a problem, at some point.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
Ah, okay. Would it be best to work on the Priest end of things first for her maybe? I have her and Nevan in mage and priest respectively but maybe it would be good to swap them and come back for the other vocations later.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I put her in Armamentalist, it still gives her an MP bonus and boosts her durability a bit.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ran Rannerson posted:

Ah, okay. Would it be best to work on the Priest end of things first for her maybe? I have her and Nevan in mage and priest respectively but maybe it would be good to swap them and come back for the other vocations later.

I usually prefer having them start off in vocations that are the opposite of what their “job” would normally be in a DQ since Nevan has Midheal by default and Ashlynn being just super min/maxed for MP makes her a good post-battle healer, but I guess it depends on your current vocation levels too.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I benched Ashlynn because I found her annoying.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Man I finally beat DQ11 last night and that was just so much fun. Act 3 really got challenging in a way I wasn't expecting, but in a good way. And I loved where the story went. I just really really enjoyed this game. Goddamn it was so good!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Anybody have any opinions on Dragon Quest Treasures? I've got some gold points on Nintendo.com that are gonna expire soon and I'm thinking of buying either that or DQ Monsters: Dark Prince since they're both on sale. For that matter, is the DLC for Dark Prince worth it?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I barely beat the final boss in Dragon Quest 11 without ever using the item that makes him weak the correct way. Cause I thought I just had to have it equipped. I thought, this was the most ridiculously hard final boss of all time. I did beat the fucker though, using like every resource I had, nobody had any mp left at all basically and hp was fumes. Very satisfying

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Quiet Feet posted:

Anybody have any opinions on Dragon Quest Treasures? I've got some gold points on Nintendo.com that are gonna expire soon and I'm thinking of buying either that or DQ Monsters: Dark Prince since they're both on sale. For that matter, is the DLC for Dark Prince worth it?

Treasures is fine, but it gets really samey real quick. The monsters you can recruit are like 80% palate swaps and the only real hook is to run around the large, unchanging maps to find randomly placed treasures that only really exist to make numbers go up.

Dark Prince is probably better overall, but is definitely simplified from previous monsters games. Of the DLCs, I'd say Mole Hole is the only one that is really worth it.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Quiet Feet posted:

DQ Treasures was fine? Fun at first, but the treasure hunting and defending your base grows repetitive, especially if you're making an attempt to collect all the treasures. It also remains annoyingly vague when trying to find them even post-game.

Someone said earlier in the thread that Treaures started off as a Monsters game and yeah, I can see that.

If you really liked Erik from DQ XI and wanted another adventure with him and his sister when they were younger, you might have more fun with it.

There's demos on the eshop for both that gives you an idea of what they're like, too.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Man I finally beat DQ11 last night and that was just so much fun. Act 3 really got challenging in a way I wasn't expecting, but in a good way. And I loved where the story went. I just really really enjoyed this game. Goddamn it was so good!

:emptyquote:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I barely beat the final boss in Dragon Quest 11 without ever using the item that makes him weak the correct way. Cause I thought I just had to have it equipped. I thought, this was the most ridiculously hard final boss of all time. I did beat the fucker though, using like every resource I had, nobody had any mp left at all basically and hp was fumes. Very satisfying

LOL drat didnt know this either, I thought it was hard too; was thinking how happy I was I spent the time crafting a bunch of endgame gear just because. I think one of the Heavens Above friends says something to this effect but I didnt pay attention, I dont think it helps that at basically at no other point in the game did I ever feel the need to "use" a piece of equipment like that, the few times I did it was always underwhelming and I ignored those On Use effects.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Ok I love so much the audacity of the third act. The game was great and I loved it at the first ending, I would've been 100% satisfied, but for the game to go ....but what if??? , haha wow! it worked for me

I also appreciated the end in act 2 being good and satisfying because I often get burnt out on turn based rpgs; im thankful for being able to increase the battle speed and make it autofight, because sometimes in these games I lose the patience for the trash fights after so many hours, I need a break.

Oh I loved DQ11s so much, top tier game for me.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

i did pretty much the same thing in dq3

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I thought I had to beat the boss of DQ 8 in one complete rush but it turns out that the game saves your progress each time you use the orb so I destroyed it once I finally had an hour (way more than I needed as it turns out) set aside for the boss fight

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Nihilarian posted:

i did pretty much the same thing in dq3

I did it too, intentionally, for the RetroAchievement. It wasn't too bad. Just had to grind for a bit (the goopies that summon Granite Titans + emulator FFWD made it pretty easy) and abuse the Parry-Fight glitch. Oddly, the final boss is susceptible to more status effects in hard mode. Sap is the big one, I think.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ofecks posted:

I did it too, intentionally, for the RetroAchievement. It wasn't too bad. Just had to grind for a bit (the goopies that summon Granite Titans + emulator FFWD made it pretty easy) and abuse the Parry-Fight glitch. Oddly, the final boss is susceptible to more status effects in hard mode. Sap is the big one, I think.

If you were playing the NES version you could've just killed it with medical herbs, too.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Didn't that only work after using the orb?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Mylan posted:

Treasures is fine, but it gets really samey real quick. The monsters you can recruit are like 80% palate swaps and the only real hook is to run around the large, unchanging maps to find randomly placed treasures that only really exist to make numbers go up.

Dark Prince is probably better overall, but is definitely simplified from previous monsters games. Of the DLCs, I'd say Mole Hole is the only one that is really worth it.

Mylan posted:

Thanks. I'm already leaning towards Dark Prince since DW4 has always been my favorite in the mainline series.

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you were playing the NES version you could've just killed it with medical herbs, too.

:aaa:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ofecks posted:

Didn't that only work after using the orb?

I thought it worked in both cases because the damage is caused by an overflow glitch, but a quick look online only shows them being used after the orb because they're all speedrun videos.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

they're all speedrun videos.

That's basically the case for all retro games these days.

I suppose I could load my RA save and give it a try myself... at some point.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I guess Sqenix didn't anticipate people running DQ11 from NVME SSDs. It's impossible for me to read the loading screen tips because areas load almost instantly!

Do you get MapMagic/Snoop or something similar eventually? Nose For Treasure is often indicating that there are more treasures than I can find in any given area.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ofecks posted:

I guess Sqenix didn't anticipate people running DQ11 from NVME SSDs. It's impossible for me to read the loading screen tips because areas load almost instantly!

Do you get MapMagic/Snoop or something similar eventually? Nose For Treasure is often indicating that there are more treasures than I can find in any given area.

Nose For Treasure is all you get, but the only inaccessible things it counts are treasures behind locked doors.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
Continuing on through Dragon Quest VI and I just got the flying bed. God I absolutely love it when these games slap you upside the head with one of the worst puns you’ve ever seen, especially when you really should have gotten it already.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Ofecks posted:

ah, the inevitable 'hunt around for that one item you missed that turns out is in a barrel that you didn't notice because you never turned the camera that way'

early on the culprit is often locked doors you dont have keys for, so usually i never pay close attention to it (altho i have played the game enough to know how many treasures are in locked doors now)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Toriyama has passed away.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/DB_official_en/status/1765935471971213816

Just in case you want the official announcement.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I wonder if Dragon Quest will try make entirely new games without his designs.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I wonder if Dragon Quest will try make entirely new games without his designs.

Maybe Toyotaro takes over?

This is honestly shocking. I can't believe he's gone

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This sucks man. RIP.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

In Training posted:

This sucks man. RIP.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's impossible to imagine a Dragon Quest without Toriyama designs. It's just what Dragon Quest is. I'm sure artists will mimic his style but it's never quite the same. I'd say he's a much bigger loss to Dragon Quest than Sugiyama and its deeply surreal to realize how much of the spirit of Dragon Quest was tied to him.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Absolute gutpunch. RIP to a legendary creator.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
So awful. RIP to a legend.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

In Training posted:

This sucks man. RIP.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I’m devastated. As a Mexican this feels like we just lost our most important artist in the world.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The man was a legit legend and he's just gone now... rip

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
What a loss. RIP to one of the most iconic artists of all time.

People on Twitter were sharing links to a collection on the Internet Archive containing high quality DQ-related scans. Mostly Famicom, Super Famicom, and DS boxes, manuals, and strategy guides. Just terrific stuff, really highlights Toriyama's art.

Coheed and Camembert fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 8, 2024

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Toriyama has passed away.

I'm amazed he was only 68. Feels like he's been around forever.

Haven't some of the last few DQ games been using other artists already though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Quiet Feet posted:

I'm amazed he was only 68. Feels like he's been around forever.

Haven't some of the last few DQ games been using other artists already though?

Every DQ game since 2 I think has had artists other than Toriyama. He's designed some stuff for all of them but I think 1 and 2 are the only ones that are all him.