Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

OmegaZultan posted:

I just got all the Legendary Armor Pieces and the Sword.

Where do I go next?

edit: In DQ 6, I should have specified.

Check in with Madame Luca if you're lost. She gives out hints. :unsmith:

Where you need to go next depends on if the sword got refurbished or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Manos del Sino posted:

Is that the hole that leads me to the Lucky Charms temple? I'm not sure where I go to find the combination to what appears to be a glyph-locked entrance.

I should have been more specific; you have to fix the hole in the ocean before you can get all the legendary gear.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Bought the US version of 6, gently caress Nintendo and their lovely European Localisation team.

On a more areodite note, who's wanting the Nintendo Points?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 22, 2011

fromagex
Oct 11, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

Bought the Import version, gently caress Nintendo and their lovely European Localisation team.

On a more areodite note, who's wanting the Nintendo Points?

I'd love them.

lepetitfromage AT gmail.com

fromagex fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 22, 2011

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

fromagex posted:

I'd love them.

Righto, gimme a sec to figure out the logistics of this and I'll wing them too you.

Edit: and the deed is done.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 22, 2011

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

ConanThe3rd posted:

Bought the US version of 6, gently caress Nintendo and their lovely European Localisation team.

What? The script and the accents are some of the best parts of DQ games these days.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

Terpfen posted:

What? The script and the accents are some of the best parts of DQ games these days.

I think he's referring to the fact that DQVI is still TBA in Europe.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

For anyone playing DQVI, a word of advice; don't choose Ranger for your main character, as it takes for-frigging-ever to master it. If I were playing over again, I'd choose Luminary, as it's mastered fast and gets some useful abilities.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Blaine the Train posted:

I think he's referring to the fact that DQVI is still TBA in Europe.

This.

And their Region nonsense for the 3DS
and their awful uptake of DSIWare
and their laughable handling of Inazuma Eleven in the UK
and a million other crimes against common sense.

But I digress.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

DQ6 is part of Amazon's Gold Box deals today, so anyone not having picked it up yet might want to check it out!

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Agrias120 posted:

DQ6 is part of Amazon's Gold Box deals today, so anyone not having picked it up yet might want to check it out!

Where are you seeing this?

Edit: Nevermind. I see on Joystiq that it’s the 10 AM PST gold box deal. Amazon identifies it as a “Nintendo RPG”.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I figured it's probably Golden Sun at 10 am, not DQVI. But maybe joystiq knows something we don't.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

The gold box deal is indeed for DQ6 and it’s 9 bucks off.

Editing to reflect the updated price. When I originally posted it was just one dollar off.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Captain Vittles posted:

For anyone playing DQVI, a word of advice; don't choose Ranger for your main character, as it takes for-frigging-ever to master it. If I were playing over again, I'd choose Luminary, as it's mastered fast and gets some useful abilities.

Luminary has a great all-around skillset and I like developing it for anyone who I'm not rushing to a sage. Lightning is good for the mid-game, hustle dance is always amazing and a whole-party zing can save you from a wipe.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I went to close my DS screen a couple days back and the case and a hinge cracked, and now my top screen is all flaccid and floppy. That's pretty lame.

I'm still enjoying VI though. I've tracked down three of the legendary pieces of equipment including the rusty sword which is currently being restored to function by the good smith in thieftown or whatever. I think I know where to find the fourth piece so I'll be heading in that direction next. Besides the sword, I have the helmet and the shield - I imagine that body armor is next up.

Am I nearing the end of the game? I've only managed to complete about two masteries with each character so far, so prestige classes are still a long ways off. I have a feeling I'll be at the end before I open up the best vocations, unless there's a whole new section of the game that opens up after I get this final piece of gear.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

If you gentlemen have questions about the localization process for the DQ series, the team's fielding questions to answer in a later podcast.

quote:

Am I nearing the end of the game?

Getting there, yes, but there's still another world map (albeit small) and so on.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Another question:

Is Dig useful for anything besides a random shot at one or two gold coins?

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

Manos del Sino posted:

Another question:

Is Dig useful for anything besides a random shot at one or two gold coins?

Not that I've ever seen.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Okay, now what am I missing?

I went through the events at Castle Graceskull, and when I get back to the ruined castle, there's no secret chamber when I inspect the area or anywhere near the area. Ra's Mirror didn't reveal anything either. Nothing my party or Madame Luca says helps.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
I just finished VI last night. It was really great, and I think it's probably my second favorite DQ now. (after V)

Now I'm trying to beat the bonus boss, Nokturnus and holy poo poo. Probably gonna have to grind up a bunch for that. :smith:

Manos del Sino posted:

I went through the events at Castle Graceskull, and when I get back to the ruined castle, there's no secret chamber when I inspect the area or anywhere near the area. Ra's Mirror didn't reveal anything either. Nothing my party or Madame Luca says helps.

Did you use the golden pickaxe where the staircase should be?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
IV is my favorite and always will be, and is my favorite NES game, although this thread has also inspired me to play through II (which I have started before but never completed).

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

AKMoose posted:

IV is my favorite and always will be, and is my favorite NES game, although this thread has also inspired me to play through II (which I have started before but never completed).

Imagine the original game without the quaint simplicity of being the original game.

It is... The Worst.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

psychoJ posted:

Did you use the golden pickaxe where the staircase should be?

That's what I was forgetting about! Thanks.

edit: I just got my poo poo beat down by a goddamn castle.

Manos del Sino fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 24, 2011

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Manos del Sino posted:

I went to close my DS screen a couple days back and the case and a hinge cracked, and now my top screen is all flaccid and floppy. That's pretty lame.

I managed to temporarily fix mine with some crazy glue and some applied pressure with a wrench (to get the plastic to hold in place). Try that.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So sad that tomorrow is the last day of Armsmageddon in DQVC for DQ9. I've already bought the Bright Rod, Gringham Whip, Poker, Stardust Sword, and whatever the Staff is called. Gonna miss you, awesome DQVC week!

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~
It looks like Best Buy will be doing DQ6 at their DQ9 Connect & Play demos this Saturday and on the following Saturday, March 5th. I guess that's going to be the best place to collect dreams.

Also, I hyped myself up thinking Terry would still act like a punk in English, but he's been pretty dull so far. :( If he's not going to act up, I'm sending him back to the wagon, dammit!

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Manos del Sino posted:

That's what I was forgetting about! Thanks.

There's a double-secret batch of treasure involved here, too: use the pickaxe in dream world Graceskull and you can loot the armory. The one with all the empty chests when you go there in the real world.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Draile posted:

There's a double-secret batch of treasure involved here, too: use the pickaxe in dream world Graceskull and you can loot the armory. The one with all the empty chests when you go there in the real world.

That reminds me, I am still missing the key that allows me to open cell doors. Should I have already received that, or do I find it at some point after beating the giant flying Castle Kickass?

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

Manos del Sino posted:

That reminds me, I am still missing the key that allows me to open cell doors. Should I have already received that, or do I find it at some point after beating the giant flying Castle Kickass?

You could have found it already; it's underwater in a place you don't necessarily need to explore.

EDIT: I have 99 mini-medals; this is killing me! I know I can hit 100 before fighting the final boss, but I can't figure out what medal I'm missing. Also, the final boss is tougher in this version... that or I didn't grind enough.

EDIT 2: A Slime Knight Armamentalist is not much of a Slimopolis contender.

Captain Vittles fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 25, 2011

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Captain Vittles posted:

You could have found it already; it's underwater in a place you don't necessarily need to explore.

EDIT 2: A Slime Knight Armamentalist is not much of a Slimopolis contender.

My slime knight made it to rank 4 the first time I tried, and I haven't been back since to try him out since leveling and classing.

edit: Y'know, I think I explored every drat shrine and shack undersea with no luck finding a key. I even checked against a map of interesting locations. found it!

Manos del Sino fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 25, 2011

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
This thread inspired me to give DW2 another shot, after all the comments about how much it sucks. I've played through some of it before, but I tend to lose interest shortly after getting the Princess.

The problem early on seems to be that none of the monsters drop any significant amount of money. I got the Prince (despite the name being randomized, he's always named Orfeo every time I play this game), got the silver key and made it through the cave down to Hamlin, and I'm still struggling to buy equipment.

The amount of monster encounters seems to vary wildly as well. I got halfway through the silver key cave, had a crapload of encounters and Orfeo died, so I reloaded and made it through with only like four or five encounters. Yes, I know they're called random encounters for a reason, but the variance seems kind of ridiculous. The same thing will happen in the world map: walking along, encounter, take one step, encounter, take one step, encounter. And that's not even in the mountain tiles, just the forest/plains.

And then there was the level up where the only thing that increased was reaction speed. That's not a level up, that's a joke.

Anyway, IV was always my favorite, though the only post-NES one that I've played is VIII, and I was turned off by the amount of grinding required.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Johnny Longtorso posted:

The problem early on seems to be that none of the monsters drop any significant amount of money.

This is...pretty much what DQ games are about. Do you grind endlessly to upgrade all your equipment, or do you push on and hope you can eke out a victory with your welfare stuff?

Except in DQIX. drat I'm rolling in gold in DQIX.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh, cool, somehow completely missed this thread.

I just finished DQ8 the other day and enjoyed it quite a lot. Even got the true ending, though that's not saying much I guess because the game was pretty easy throughout. The only things I did not bother with were the Dragovian Trials and Class S of the Monster Arena. The only things I would want changed in DQ8 are the loading times and the Alchemy Pot. Maybe it would have made things too easy, but if it fused things instantly it would've saved me a lot of headaches. Yes I realize there is a way to make it fuse quicker at the end, but that doesn't really help you out all that much throughout most of the game where it would be most useful.

Besides that I've only played DQ4/DQ5 on the DS so I'm fairly new to the franchise all things considered. So far my favorite is DQ5, which was charming as all hell with the whole family as party members thing. I have DQ6 and DQ9 lined up and am currently debating about which one I want to go through first. I feel like I will like DQ6 more, so I want to save it for last.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
I brought my copy of DQIX to Otakon, a pretty popular anime convention last summer, and I got over a hundred guests in my hotel and a ton of maps, including a dungeon with a floor of just metal king slimes.

And just this past weekend, I'd gone to Katsucon, another pretty big convention, and barely got 5 guests. I guess people are just tired of DQIX, I can't even rely on cons anymore!!

Ah well, I had a drat good run with that game. I might go through the DLC Story missions one of these days.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
Ugh, I wish I'd bought DQ6 in Japanese like a year ago. I know Barbara was a more common name in 1995 or whatever, and it's not now, but Ashlynn? Are you serious? What kind of a name is Ashlynn?

I could never make anything of Mireiyu (or her outfit), but I guess weird humorous accents and weird English names don't really do it for me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel like I should hate the localization quirks like the accents in these games, but for whatever reason I enjoy their addition. Ragazzo!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcaeris posted:

Ugh, I wish I'd bought DQ6 in Japanese like a year ago. I know Barbara was a more common name in 1995 or whatever, and it's not now, but Ashlynn? Are you serious? What kind of a name is Ashlynn?

I could never make anything of Mireiyu (or her outfit), but I guess weird humorous accents and weird English names don't really do it for me.

Ashlynn is an actual name. Like, people have it in the real world. I know someone named Ashlynn.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Arcaeris posted:

What kind of a name is Ashlynn?

I could never make anything of Mireiyu (or her outfit)

It's of Irish origin meaning "dream".

Yeah, Milly's costume is pretty ridiculous in the commercial too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWOx7-jNejo.. The making of video is kind of interesting too. They're all shivering in the cold.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

spacebard posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWOx7-jNejo.. The making of video is kind of interesting too. They're all shivering in the cold.

Oh Carver :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

I have DQ6 and DQ9 lined up and am currently debating about which one I want to go through first. I feel like I will like DQ6 more, so I want to save it for last.

Play DQ6 first. I love it and it's awesome, but DQ9 streamlines the interface and gameplay so much that it will spoil you.