Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Arcaeris posted:

Well it's obvious you're either a way too apologetic fanboy or a troll, so this is just about over.

Or option C, just a guy who thinks your complaints are largely without merit.

DQ6 does have gameplay flaws with the class system, but not the experience grinding you complain about : rather, the general uselessness of all but a few classes. They fixed that when constructing and balancing DQ9’s class system, but DQ6 still suffers. Magic is also not quite as useful as it should be, rendering Ashlynn largely useless (at least to me), particularly in the middle of the game where item magic becomes prevalent.

There’s also the massive plot hole of Milly never getting her real body back on-screen or prior to meeting Hero/Carver, though the game unfolds as if she did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Asimo posted:

You could use the exact same mechanic, but cut the number of required battles by like half? :geno:

I still like DQ6, and for the time it was an absolutely amazing RPG, but there's basically no justification for the tedium of the job system these days.

Thing is, jobs in the DS version advance faster than they did in the SFC version. So… they practically did exactly what you just suggested.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Square-Enix probably won’t bother translating it. And I can’t say I blame them this time.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

"Doug Dinsdale” posted:

The same bunch put my bro through the ceiling when he was at Konami for the same reason of poo poo quality.

Let me guess… Suikoden and Suikoden II.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

“ConanThe3rd” posted:

Also, is DQ 6 out in the UK? Because if it is, no one's bothered to tell me, that's for sure!

Came out on the 20th per Wikipedia.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Fooley posted:

What I really don't get is apparently at the end when you finally eat a Fygg, it makes you human instead of just...promoting you or something.

This is explained in-game. A Fygg grants the desire of the person who eats it. The various boss characters became big monster types because they wanted to be. (Or in the lizard’s case, because he had the hots for the bitchy queen.) The hero wanted to become a human, so that’s why eating the Fygg made him human.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Nate RFB posted:

I actually have a quick DQ6 question... I got Nevan and Ashlynn to master the Sage class quite quickly. Maybe too quickly, since now they're not going to learn anything else. Is it worthwhile to, in the meantime at least, have them go down the Armamentalist or Paladin routes? Just so they're learning something. It seems like most of the abilities I would care about have already been learned by Sage, and you would incur an enormous MP and Wisdom hit since you would have to go through Warrior and/or Marital Artist first.

I kept Nevan as a Paladin after he mastered Sage just to differentiate him from Ashlynn. Yeah, it’s worth it.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

SereneCrimson posted:

I swear to god Square-Enix. This has to come out outside of Japan.

It won't. Third parties have largely abandoned the Wii, especially in the US.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Levantine posted:

I wonder what the story is with DQX. The Wii is approaching the end of its lifespan and the Wii-U is right around the corner. Will it be a launch title for the Wii-U (retooled maybe) or just a late release kind of like FF9 was back in the day?

I'd imagine Nintendo will somehow convince Square-Enix to push it onto the Wii U. Think Twilight Princess and Super Paper Mario.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Levantine posted:

This is my suspicion as well. I'd hate to see it delayed to be retooled for the Wii-U though.

I don't think they'd retool it at all. Remember, Dragon Quest VII was delayed for years and received zero graphical polish amongst all its delays: it still looked like the same game at release that it did in screenshots released two years prior.

quote:

I don't know much about the Wii-U. Is it backward compatible?

Yes, I believe so.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Levantine posted:

Well this is interesting: http://kotaku.com/5836874/brace-yourself-for-dragon-quest-x-news

I thought the Wii was confirmed as the platform for DQX a while back. I guess they may really be moving it off, to the 3DS maybe? I would really like a console DQ game again personally. Or am I just misunderstanding and it's talking about a new DQ title?

Yes, DQ10 was confirmed as a Wii game in 2009. But the fact that we've heard nothing about it for two years, and release wouldn't happen until 2012 at the earliest, and the fact that they're now being secretive about the platform for this new game… well, that's decent evidence that the game was moved to another platform. I'm hoping it's not the Wii U. Given the way Nintendo has jerked me around the last few years (beginning with moving Super Paper Mario to the Wii, forcing me to buy one, and then failing to make SPM2), I have zero interest in buying a Wii U.

Wendell posted:

Man, no one owns a 3DS. Put that poo poo on the Vita!

I'm pretty sure there are more 3DS owners than Vita owners.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Barry Convex posted:

Gosh, if only there was more recent evidence of its status as a Wii title that was linked to in the post immediately above yours…

Gosh, if only SA posters gave more credit to people they sarcastically replied to.

First, I was already aware of the material you linked to.

Second, shipping a trailer with a Wii game does not indicate that DQ10 is still a Wii game.

Third, there is a reason unknown to us why S-E is being secretive about the platform DQ10 will be on. If it's still coming out for the Wii, why be coy?

Lastly, Nintendo has effectively abandoned the Wii, Skyward Sword notwithstanding. S-E will release a Dragon Quest game next year on a console currently hooked up to life support? Really? Granted, the Wii U is backwards compatible.

I'm just saying that the available evidence, to me, points to a platform change to be announced. I could be wrong, I could be right. But it increasingly appears that the initial announcement of DQ10 coming to the Wii has been nullified by what appears to be a fairly lengthy development cycle (assuming development was already underway in December 2008 when DQ10 was announced) and changes in the console market since.

We'll see.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Barry Convex posted:

As for the "mystery platform" thing: Square Enix has inexplicably decided to create a bullshit air of mystery around the press conference in an attempt to build hype, even though the timing of the trailer means that a DQX reveal is a foregone conclusion. They're not naming the platform because naming Wii would ruin this (completely unnecessary) mystery by all but confirming that it's a game that has already been announced for Wii, namely DQX.

If secrecy was the objective, they would pull an Apple and just schedule the press conference and refuse to talk about what products or franchises would be covered.

Of course, there's always the possibility that this isn't actually about DQ10.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

gravyflood posted:

Yeah but everyone has a Wii.

Dragon Quest is a system seller in Japan. It really doesn't matter what platform a numbered DQ game is announced for; the installed base will be there, ready to go for launch day. Also, Horii makes his platform decisions based on the Japanese market, which is why DQ9 came out on the DS.

So while everyone has a Wii, it may not matter to Horii.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

John Luebke posted:

Actually, that's exactly what matters, DQX for 3DS, Wii-U or Vita would definitly sell quite a few systems but he's made a point to always chose the system with the biggest, already existing install base.

This is true. The problem here is whether or not DQ10 will come out for the abandoned system (Wii) or will come out for the system with the largest supported install base (probably PS3 at this point).

We'll see soon!

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Doug Dinsdale posted:

In Japan, DQ7 was released on PS1 nearly a half year after PS2's release. So much for releasing a DQ on "an abandoned system."

Couple of reasons for this. One, DQ7 was chronically delayed. It wound up coming out almost two years (IIRC) after its originally projected release date. And two, the PS2 was not quite a juggernaut in its first year of life.

So much for so much.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Doug Dinsdale posted:

DQ titles have always taken a ridiculously long time to develop. It's been that way since V.

VII was especially noteworthy for its lengthy development, though, is my point.

quote:

And two, WiiU's not even released, so it's even less of a juggernaut than PS2.

I'm not advocating for DQ10's release on Wii U. In fact, I hope it doesn't come out on Wii U. I don't want to buy that thing.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

My impression of DQ10: Horii is taking a second stab at what DQ9 was originally supposed to be. And it appears to play like DQ8, which is hugely welcome to me. DQ8 was the best game in the series; any imitation or extension of DQ8's core design is fine with me.

Now, the question is how Nintendo of America is going to market a Wii RPG in the wake of Operation Rainfall.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Barry Convex posted:

I don't think OP Rainfall is a relevant precedent here; it's fairly clear from DQMJ2's localization announcement (coming after most had written it off as Japan-only) that NCL is mandating that NOA handle all NA DQ releases for the foreseeable future.

You're missing my point. I'm not saying that Nintendo likely won't bring DQ10 out here because they didn't want to bring Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, or The Last Story out here. DQ10 is a lock for a US release. It's a foregone conclusion for the exact reasons you state.

I'm questioning how Nintendo of America will, from a PR standpoint, go from "We're not releasing these Wii JRPGs in the US and we really don't care how badly you want them" to "Hey, check out this awesome Wii JRPG we're releasing here!"

The way I see it, they have two options.

1. They can ignore the elephant in the room. The relatively compliant gaming press, which never bothered to inquire about the status of the three Operation Rainfall games prior to the conception of Operation Rainfall, will allow Nintendo to get away with this option.

2. They can try to spin, probably by saying something like "Operation Rainfall got us thinking that maybe there's a market for these games, and we're glad to have Operation Rainfall supporters on board with the Wii U."

Regardless, I look forward to seeing how they pull this off. I realize that the core of people interested in DQ10 may not necessarily be the same core who were interested in Xenoblade et al, but Nintendo has some fence-mending ahead.

Fooley posted:

I keep hearing about this. I know Nintendo took notice but is it anything more than an Internet Petition?

Yes: it's a flood of Amazon preorders for the only one of the three games listed on said site. Nintendo didn't really take notice as much as they brushed the entire campaign off in their rush to abandon the Wii.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Barry Convex posted:

There simply aren't enough of the Rainfallers to force Nintendo to acknowledge them. Mind you, I wish they would in some way, since NOA's awful localization policies are one of a number of things doing harm to the company's brand with core gamers, but it won't happen.

They made enough noise for Nintendo to issue a half-baked response so late in the day that those who cared, like IGN's Richard George, wouldn't be able to follow up in a timely manner. For such a "tiny percentage" (as Adam Bowen calls them) that's one hell of an evasive tactic, superficially equivalent to Friday evening news dumps in politics.

I would call that evidence that NoA is cognizant of a (potential) problem. They'll probably stick to option #1, ignoring the elephant in the room, while hoping that the Wii U hits the reset button on the entire topic.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Why is Square Enix trying to convert their series to MMORPG?

"Square-Enix" isn't. Yuuji Horii is. This is basically the game that Dragon Quest IX was supposed to be. And we all loved DQ9.

I loathe MMOs with a passion, but given that a. you can have a team comprised entirely of AI members just like a standard DQ game, and b. there's still a story and likely a set progression, I'm not worried about the online aspect at all. I suspect this won't be the standard grind-grind-grind MMORPG game, though let's be fair, DQ still hasn't shed its rep for being grind-intensive.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Barry Convex posted:

Oh, there are undoubtedly people at NOA - perhaps quite a number of them, perhaps as far up as Reggie - who are fully cognizant of how terrible and short-sighted the localization policies they work under are. I just don't believe that they're in a position to do anything about them, hence why they issued a half-baked response rather than a substantive one.

If it goes "as far up as Reggie", then they are absolutely "in a position to do [something] about them."

IMO, the real problem is not the policy, it's the person setting the policy: Fils-Aime.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Barry Convex posted:

Reggie was apparently the one who apparently pushed for BKO to be released on GC as a swan song for the platform. I don't buy that he hates RPGs or Western gamers in general.

If he doesn't hate RPGs (or, for the sake of argument, "niche" games in general), he's certainly done a good job of cultivating an image to the contrary, beginning with but nowhere near limited to the Mother 3 debacle. No Another Code R, no Fatal Frame 4, no Disaster: Day of Crisis, no EarthBound on VC, no Mother 1+2… I'm just scratching the surface. And Nintendo has curiously declined to expand their Dragon Quest publishing tactic of bringing out games that other publishers might decline, such as Ace Attorney Investigations 2.

quote:

I think you vastly overestimate NOA's autonomy. If NCL has informed NOA that due to current exchange rates, any losses on localizations not mandated by NCL will not be tolerated - which I strongly suspect is the case - there's nothing even Reggie can do about that. NCL may not be directly responsible for most of NOA's non-localization decisions, but the overall policy in question is more likely than not theirs.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that NoA generally decides for itself which games to release and which to skip, Dragon Quest aside.

As for the currency exchange rates, what happened to all that money Nintendo supposedly spent years printing? It didn't just disappear. Granted, they aren't sitting on $80 billion like Apple, but they can throw a couple of zeroes at fluctuating exchange rates.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Adam Bowen posted:

Are you picturing Reggie sitting in an EVIL tower twirling his mustache and laughing maniacally as he prevents another RPG from being published, or what?

I picture him sitting at a desk in front of a bunch of spreadsheets coming to the conclusion that he wants to and should bring out the right games, namely those that will be cheap to localize while likely to bring in high revenue.

That's perfectly fine in and of itself. The problem is that none of his spreadsheets have a "Fan loyalty" column. Nintendo certainly seems to not care very much about my money, evidenced by the absence of this column. I've basically dropped all plans to buy anything Nintendo for the foreseeable future, including Skyward Sword (no, seriously) and the Wii U.

I've also done the same with Capcom (no AAI2 in the US, MML3 canceled, no MMZX3, no BoF6, insultingly awful DMC reboot? Must not want my money!) and am considering doing the same with Konami (Suikoden team dissolved two years ago, bad Silent Hill developer outsourcing, no ZoE3) and Square-Enix (3rd Birthday is offensively bad, FF13/14 debacles, killed off the Mana series with increasingly terrible games, overpriced and lazy iOS game ports).

Maybe I'm unique like that, I don't know. But pretty much the only games that seem to be worth the effort these days are Dragon Quest and Assasin's Creed, and if DQ10 is indeed Wii U only in the US, then I'll likely have to skip it.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Agrias120 posted:

I was just blindly hoping that Tierkries was what some Konami D-Team was working on while the real Suikoden team was working on Suikoden 6. I can't go on :gonk:.

Suikoden VI was canceled in pre-production, apparently; the post-Suikoden V interview where the developers let some artistic/technical goals for Suikoden VI slip never really amounted to anything, so the general assumption (at least on my part) is that the game was canceled. The team then turned to making something original, which eventually turned into an alternate universe Suikoden game (like how Silent Hill 4 was originally a separate game that was eventually awkwardly shoehorned into the SH franchise).

The development team was disbanded after Tierkreis' release.

And I guess that's enough for the off-topic discussion. Glad to know I'm not alone, though.

Terpfen fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 11, 2011

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Himuro posted:

A lot of fans blame Tierkreis, but Tierkreis in fact sold in line with the rest of the series, at least in Japan. The real reason is that VI was for wii and Konami found the system unsuitable for the game.

So their thought was to cancel the game rather than move it to the platform everyone expected in the first place, the PS3?

Wow. I've lost even more respect for Konami now.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Dragon Quest Monsters is coming to iOS and Android.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

U.T. Raptor posted:

Same reason they won't release any International FF games or Kingdom Hearts Final Mix: they... hate money or something, I guess.

The International FF games are generally just the alterations made for the US/EU releases repackaged and re-released in Japan. Not sure why you'd want to buy the same game twice, because that's basically what you're asking for here.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

thetrin posted:

Not always true. Usually it's the US version, plus even more. FFXII International added a whole new job system, for instance.

FF12I is the exception, not the rule. The entire concept of the International editions began with FF7 International, where the bugfixes and bonus content from the US version were brought back to Japan.

Yeah, sometimes you get an FF12I or a KHFM, but for the most part, you're already playing the International edition.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Including one who had a nervous breakdown mid-development and was replaced! It showed.

That was Yasumi Matsuno, and it was more like 2-3 months away from the end of development. The plot, core mechanics, and basically everything that made FF12 into FF12 was already done and implemented.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Fooley posted:

Personally I enjoyed the lack of characterization, since my main problem with most JRPGs is I don't feel like I'm playing a role at all.

JRPGs allow you to play roles, they're just already written. Sort of like how the actor who plays Hamlet is role playing.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Himuro posted:

edit: Please remake DQVIII for 3ds with a first person battle mode. It'd be the best DQ with first person battles.

They need to remake DQ7 first. That seems a likely 3DS game, since the carts are large enough to handle all that content and the previous DS remakes aped DQ7 graphically and stylistically.

DQ8 feels like it'll be a mid- to end-of-life remake on the Vita.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

iastudent posted:

Oh man. Big decision time in DQ5. Which girl should I marry, and does it basically tell you what kind of party tag-along you end up with or are there other consequences later on? :ohdear:

There are no real ups or downs in choosing one wife over the other. In the SNES original, the choice was between Bianca and Flora/Nera, with Bianca being the correct choice and the game guilt-tripping the hell out of you if you chose Flora/Nera. Bianca's father would die, Flora/Nera was level capped at 20, etc. In the DS version, it depends on what kind of a party member you want. Bianca is sort of a jack of all trades; she's good but not great at magic and attacking, and can use the Gringham Whip, and has decent but not great HP/MP. Flora/Nera is a healer and is not level capped in this version. Debora is a physical attacker and is the only person in the game who can equip Akilics-type weaponry. She also makes the hero sleep on the floor at inns.

I always choose Bianca because that's the "correct" choice, and because I like having that type of skill set in my party. But you'll eventually have to go without your wife for a while because of plot reasons so don't stress out too much over their battle capabilities. Pick whichever one you like the most.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I was watching my then-18 year old daughter play DQV, and, without any hesitation, she chose Flora. I was aghast and asked why.
She rolled her eyes, "What, you'd marry an older girl when you can marry into vast wealth?"

They're all the same age. Also the joke's on your daughter, because 3 game hours later… plot twist!

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Armitage posted:

Flora/Nera seemed to have feelings for Crispin, more so than the hero. I felt kinda bad for the poor sap.

This is the correct interpretation, and it's a continuation of the SNES version, where you were basically beaten over the head that Bianca was the correct choice. Andy/Crispin's obvious love for Flora/Nera and her "I really suck at traveling, are you sure?" warning message if you pick her are reinforcements of Bianca being the "correct" choice.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah, and I think this is part of the reason there's so many angry rageouts about how :argh::argh: SQUARE ENIX RAPED MY CHILDHOOD WITH GAY GIRLY MEN HEROES NOT LIKE WHEN I WAS A KID :argh: :argh:

It's just not the same experience anymore, because the characters aren't blank slates for you to project yourself into.

I must be one of the weirdos who didn't feel the need to project onto blank slates, in part because I never really felt like the slates were blank enough to project to.

DQ5's hero is Inigo Montoya. Someone killed his father, this murderer should prepare to die. What additional detail does one need?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah. Dragon Quest is more about the interesting vignettes along the way than the overarching plot, with the exception of V.

This. And even V has plenty of vignettes, though not nearly as blatant as VI.

Dragon Quest is about the journey. Thus the word Quest.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Himuro posted:

I deliberately brought up Trigger for that exact reason. I feel like DQ7 is everything Horii wanted to expand upon in Trigger. I brought up CT because a lot of people worship CT but for some reason raise their noses up at DQ. Makes no sense to me.

They've been led to believe that the CT team was either internal at Squaresoft or somehow spun off into their own little world. While partially true (the bulk of the CT team went on to make Xenogears, albeit with, you know, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT WRITERS AND DIRECTORS), the fact that Trigger in concept and broad strokes is basically a Dragon Quest game is utterly lost.

There's a reason Chrono Cross was so different.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Levantine posted:

I feel like VII is due for an overhaul. It was a really long but flawed game in a lot of ways but I still have a soft spot for it. Such a weird game that one of the selling points was "No battles for like the first hour!" or whatever. The job system was way too grindy (like VI) but it still managed to be fun, somehow.

VII's selling point was "Genuinely 100+ hours of gameplay", with "it takes an hour just to get to the random battles" being used as evidence to support the claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Going by Square-Enix's last two attempts at online games (FF11 and 14) I would expect an online DQ game made by them to be a similar trainwreck where the subscription should be the least of your worries.

Problem with this train of thought: it assumes that the same development teams are involved. They aren't.