Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Little silly that the slime weapons are outclassed by something you can buy literally at the first shop.

I didn't get to use them but don't they let you insta-kill metal slimes or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alena is absurdly fun to play. She doesn't get any elemental or status gimmicks, she just splits into three and then launches so many punches that you can't even see the enemy beneath the swarm of damage numbers that pop up.

My final team members ended up being Jessica (powerful mage, full-party heal), Bianca (absurdly op) and Alena(punches everywhere.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Is it just me or is Isla exceptionally bad?

Get the upgrade that makes it easier to Twomerang if you're having trouble with it and she becomes pretty good for wave-clearing. I think she gets eclipsed by Bianca in every way though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

DQH rules and the only bad things I can say about it are that you can't turn off the controller sound in the game without doing it via the system settings (all dialogue is echoed if you don't) and that the tutorial sections of the game teach braindead concepts in a really slow way.

I imagine it kinda has to because the target audience is DQ fans who may not have played an action-RPG before.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

God gently caress I hate saving in DQH.
Good game, though. So the characters have different costumes too? I loved Hyrule Warriors mostly because it had fantastic presentation and lots of goodies, hopefully this game does so too

You auto-save after every level so unless you're trying to manipulate RNG or something just don't bother with it.

Also there are alt-costumes. Alena gets one more like her original debut costumes. (Leggings, bigger cape, different hat.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 15, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I really dislike how menu heavy DQH is. I know it's an intentional thing to mimic the actual DQ games but while I don't mind it there, I feel it's extremely tedious in a game like this.

That is my #1 complaint about it. Nostalgia shouldn't carry over to slow interfaces.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caidin posted:

It's the tedium of spending all the skill points of a new character that got me, especially since later on your mostly just getting the same old stat ups and passives.

What does deftness even do anyway?

Critical hits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Has anyone done the statue protection mission? If so can I get some advice because uh, this seems kind of impossible and randomly spikes in difficulty and I have -no- idea what to do.

Like my characters are all around 27-28 and have the best gear I could buy but everything here seems like such a obscene damage sponge, and by the end of it I have 2 hell gladiators and 4 hackasaurs ontop of me. One time during it all I used Kiryls Thwack special and when it was over two of my characters were just dead so I assume that has friendly fire on it or something? They went from full to 0 just out of the blue, and the same thing happened to the statue where it had 50% health and just vanished despite having 3 friendly hackasaurs protecting it as well as a few other smaller monsters.

This is just absurd.

There are multiple statue protection missions so I'm not sure of the one you mean.

One thing though: Keep an eye out for SPELLCASTERS. They can utterly totally wreck your defense objections quickly.

Also make sure you're placing monster minions in checkpoints, not in front of the object you want to defend. They are there to slow enemies down. Once the enemy gets to the defense object the monster minions will not go after them aggressively enough to be good guards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Ah fair enough, it's the elevator one that's constantly going up floors for what it matters, but that sounds like it would be my problem as I usually try to set up guards around the point that needs protecting.

Yeah, I think that's something it's easy to overlook since it's a natural thought that "oh, well, I'll just have a thousand dudes around my base." The problem is that the AI just isn't good enough for it. If you actually watch, they don't prioritize dangerous minions or anything, they just basically function as walls. Once something gets past those walls they're mostly useless.\

I can say for sure that stage has some spellcasters who tear your base down quick. It's probably worth stopping to kill any swarms of spellcasters you see on the way to a nightmaw. (Imps and sorcerers mostly.) They're the guys who really pound them down, even more than 'boss' characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yangus was popular enough to get his own spinoff game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Only in DQ3. In DQ4 they made it hit for 1 damage instead of being defense-ignoring and in DQ4 you had a better chance of Alena just critting a metal bable than killing one with BeDragon. Plus once you had the metal babble sword it made life a bit easier since that'd always hit for 2(!!!!) damage.

That was a change made to the DS version, wasn't it?

The Machine posted:

This is pathetic. SE is a huge goddamn company. Do it and put it out and the people who want it will buy it. gently caress, put it on PC and the JRPG hungry masses will flood to it.

The issue is that they don't believe enough people would buy it to make it worth the time and money. A big company is if anything less likely to do something "just because" because they have a lot of other sources of income they can invest in.

It's really loving tiring how every single untranslated JRPG would be a ~huge success~ if it was localized even though more often than not it isn't true. Dragon Quest is weird, obtuse and intentionally archiac to the point the action-RPG spinoff actually has intentionally archaic menu design to appeal to a nostalgia most people in the west don't have. I like it a lot but it isn't universal by any means.

Dragon Quest is a charming franchise but it also is very very safe in a way that might feel outright tedious to people. Random encounters, a greater emphasis on grinding, awkward and user-unfriendly mechanics, and every Dragon Quest not named VIII honestly isn't much to look at, especially prior to the DS updates. No amount of charming is going to get someone past moments they genuinely don't enjoy and DQ has a lot that could do that. DQVII taking hours to get to even the first battle is a great example of that. DQVII3DS tones some of that down but it still is Dragon Quest.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 22, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The other issue, if you can call it that, is that S-E is still fairly conservative when it comes to DQ and they're not as willing to vomit it out onto every platform in as many forms as possible like they do with FF and other franchises.

Eh, I wouldn't say that. Dragon Quest V was available on the SNES, reported to the PS2. re-reported to the DS and is now available on iOS and Android. They're not shy about re-releasing it.

In Training posted:

I've been playing through DQVIII for the first time and this game would be perfect if here was a little more clarity as to what skills will give you and how many points they need. Otherwise I love it all.

DQVIII is the high-point of the series in terms of accessibility I think. It's about as mechanically-polished as the series has gotten (though it has flaws), it looks really good even for its age, and it has a sense of scale the other games don't have. It certainly has some dragon quest issues but if there was one I'd go all-in on, it'd be DQVIII. Problems is these days it'd be a lovely mobile port or a lovely 3DS port...

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 22, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

I feel like even if Square did kickstarters for games like that they'd deliberately not pick Dragon Quest and ignore requests for it, because that's just what they do.

Yeah, they didn't just release a Dragon Quest game over here...?

Think about how legitimately silly it sounds to go "I bet this company is being mean and not translating a game because they hate everyone." No matter how convinced you are, personally, that Square-Enix has an employee dedicated going "Hm, I bet Justin_Brett would enjoy this, let's not do it," that is probably not true. More likely than not if something is being ignored it is because it is not considered profitable or there are external measures blocking it. I know for a fact there are seemingly easily-localized games that are not localized because one or more companies involved have goofy contracts which prevent it. Companies like XSEED and Atlus have had to accept games they normally wouldn't localize to get access to games they would and that isn't always cost-effective to do. S-E probably doesn't have that specific problem but who knows. The difference between Japanese and American branches can sometimes be absurd.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 22, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

Or the PS2 version! Which is what I'm playing.

The PS2 version is the one I'd want but also the one least easily ported. It's also worth noting the PS2 version had a lot of improvements which were not backported and so we could get a Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth situation where they do the PS2 JP version instead of the PS2 English version. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

I still wouldn't be surprised if they thought a kickstarter for something else might get more than one for DQ.

I would if just because I can't think of anything else S-E has that isn't localized. They have some minor niche games maybe but even most of those are D-Q spinoffs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

You know you can obviate DQ8's load times by popping the disc into your PC and playing it in PCSX2. There were a couple tweaks I had to learn about to make the menus/overlays look normal but it's not tricky or anything.

DQVIII is seriously up there with the best-aging games on the system, it is absurd how good it looks even now. It is showing its age but the cartoony cel-shaded style frankly (especially with emu smoothing) makes it look better than some PS3 games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

i was doing the DQH mission "showdown at teh crown" and a mysterious swordsman appeared killed a robot and left within the span of seconds and i never saw him, just alert messages and confused dialog with my characters and nobody mentioned it again afterwards. did i miss a special event or hidden character?

Just foreshadowing for later.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It feels really weird further I get into DQ:H how freakishly good Yangus is. I feel so mediocre playing others despite how fun they are because while they're all hitting for 60's and stuff Yangus is sending out death waves that do 200-300 for a long stretch while demolishing the defense of anything that walks near him. I have the HP/MP up thing at max tension equipped so it's not like he's EVER in any danger.

I also tried out Bianca as I remember hearing she was good but I uh, don't get her at all. The aiming thing feels really plodding and there's not a lot that's super standing out. My current team is Aurora who I don't really care about but have to have in my group, Jessica for the healing mostly, and when she hits tension spell spamming is hilarious, and Maya for similar reasons and mostly because I have no idea who should be rounding out the team.

Bianca's regular attack can be charged. The more you charge it the more hilariously powerful it gets. Her spells are all crazy powerful. Her Snooze is effectively a 'nah, I don't feel like dealing with you" for any large crowds or minibosses. She's just absurdly good overall as long as you let her stuff lock on/charge up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

I think 2 is real interesting from a historical perspective but I don't think it's particularly enjoyable compared to every other DQ I've played.

This is my opinion. DQ2 is an interesting historical footnote but I'd rather play pretty much any other DQ game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

It's a port that is basically based off the iphone version that was released,

No it isn't. You are also perhaps the only person in the world to care that much about streetpass, especially since it will be basically worthless regarldess of how good/bad it is outside of Japan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I have to say "DQ8 doesn't have the crappy DLC of DQ9" is a net positive, not negative for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Check with Greenmangaming before pre-ordering. They usually have a 20% off coupon for major games.

Apparently they're also pretty scummy and a lot of companies have been disavowing them so be careful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

Too bad disgaea 1 is the worst gaea.

No, that is 3.

Adam Bowen posted:

Yeah, selling $60 games for $40 sure is scummy. I feel so bad for the multi billion dollar corporations who are suffering because of this.

There is literally nobody anywhere, ever, who said that selling games at discount is the issue there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

That's exactly the issue that those companies have with it. It's no different than textbook publishers getting mad because you can buy one of their books from India for $30 instead of paying them $200.

No, the problem is that they are selling grey market keys which are not supported and may even be purchased illegally or not work. That is in fact the thing that started this whole kerfluffle because people were getting codes that didn't work and Activision's response was "Well, they're not official resellers so sucks for you." If S-E is an official partner with GMG then it shouldn't be an issue but acting like it's a problem because they're being sold cheap is dumb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zurai posted:

GMG isn't a key reseller, so far as I know.

They are (though it isn't all they do). They even admit to being one. They say that they do their best to source keys and make sure they are official and revenue goes back to the publisher but "This isn’t a perfect science as human error can affect the supply chain."

If they're an official partner though there should be 0 issues so buy away for DQH

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 20, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

She is a way better protagonist. The arc also makes more sense with "gung-ho protagonist and her brainiac but more passive best friend."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The 3DS version has new characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harlock posted:

Keeping the MC a mute protagonist, the game makes a strong argument that Kiefer is the real hero and the catalyst for everything

Just like Metal Gear Solid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Moriveth posted:

I kinda really hope DQ Builders comes to PC at some point, as unlikely as that probably is.

I want to play it but don't want to have to get a PS4 for it.

I wouldn't say it is impossible. Didn't DQ:H get a PC port?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unmature posted:

It's really difficult to not want to switch over to SMTIVA when you're dealing with Alltrades Abbey.

When you get to the final dungeon in SMTIV:A you'll fuckin' beg for Alltrades Abbey.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lorini posted:

Is this the place to talk about Dragon Quest Builders? Or will there be another thread for that game since it's really different from the others? I'm getting mine tonight.

Please do, I want to hear other people's thoughts on it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lakbay posted:

How is builders? I lucked out with gamefly again and they shipped it on monday. In the polygon review they said that you have to start from scratch at the beginning of each chapter but that it wasn't too bad since they keep introducing new gameplay elements, is that true?

Yes. you start each chapter from 'scratch' but not with the same upgrade pattern.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lorini posted:

I didn't realize that this game is also a platformer and I'm horrible at platformers. I'm stuck at the castle in Chapter 1 and cannot reach the roof without falling through the spaces and hurting myself. Any suggestions? I've done the other quest.

Build.

Seriously, bring in a bunch of blocks and just build a stairway up to the roof.

You never really need to platform. Just carry a stack of 99 Earth around with you and make a path.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

There's a Berserk Musou game being made and I hope to god it comes out in the US.

It's already been confirmed for US release.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Please Square Enix give us Rocket Slime Builders.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragon Quest 11 is looking very confusing and possible insane.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It took me an unreasonably long time not to read that as "Rick and Morty can now be party members."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Swords are all-around good but don't really excel at anything until the endgame.
Lances are great at boss killing.
Boomerangs are great at AoE attacks.

None are really bad. Boomerangs make the main plot easier but the postgame harder, otherwise whatevs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragon Quest Joker I assume, I don't know why they're dancing around naming it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

I was huge into DQ3 as a lad - I thought that it made Final Fantasy 1 look amateurish, but I know nothing about any of the spin-offs. That said, is the DQ3 remake vapourware at this point? Come to think of it, can one say the same thing for DQ12?

So it's like texting while driving for wizards?

According to recent interviews it is still coming.