Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I haven't ever played a Dragon Quest besides a tiny bit of PS2 8 and some of Heroes 1. I was planning on getting the DQ11 Switch port, but also wanted to start from the beginning. Are the SNES ports w/ the translation patch fine or is there a better option for the first three games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

SettingSun posted:

You can play almost all of the old games on mobile.

I'd rather not do mobile ports if at all possible just because I'm not a fan of the control style, and I have my Super Nintendo hooked up w/ a flash cart. I wasn't sure if there was another option besides NES/SNES versions & mobile.

Ofecks posted:

Disagree. I think the SFC remakes are still the best versions of 1-3. This is one of many times I've explained why in this thread, but I'll do it again:

- 1 and 2, judging by the screenshots, has been scaled horribly and there are no even pixels except the new hi-res dialog/menu interface. I can't stand looking at non-integer non-filtered scaling like this, but ymmv.
- 3 addressed this somewhat by adding a slight filter but they took out the boardgame minigame and all monster battle animations (wtf @ the latter).
- Mobile controls suck. At least moving around does. Navigating the menus are pretty easy, thankfully.

On the plus side, they all have new, official translations, and they are cheap and portable. Still, that's not enough for me to advise spending your time with them over the SFC versions. I would, however, definitely recommend the mobile ports of 4-6.

e: if you decide to go with the SFC fan-patches, be careful to never use the inn in Beran in DQ2. There's supposed to be an event that happens, but apparently the patch causes the game to crash.

Good to know about the inn in Beran.

I've got the DS versions of IV through VI and the 3DS VII, PS2/3DS VIII, and 3DS IX (because evidently I like buying games I'll take forever to actually play), so I'll probably go with those versions for the rest. Planning on using the orchestral music patch for the 3DS port of VIII using CFW, too.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Ah, if there's no/less party chat in the DS port of IV I'll see about going mobile in that case, seems like a pretty big omission based on what I've read.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I played 1 and 2 last year on the SNES versions last year and liked 1 pretty well and 2 not at all. Then I played 5 PS2 version and absolutely loved it. I wanted to play the rest of the games so I figured I’d go back and play 3 and 4 - what are my best non mobile versions of those? I’m guessing GBC for 3 from what I’ve read but wasn’t sure on 4 since I don’t want to play mobile. How important is the party chatter? Would I be best playing the romhack for the DS version that lets me play in English with the party chat?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

I believe dq5 was released on ps2, at least

It did tho the fan translation isn't great and you might want to use another version if you can't read Japanese very well. The story is accurate but a lot of the names of people and towns aren't as accurate as they could be and it kind of annoyed me. Still a great version of the game, though.