Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Robotic Accolade posted:

Immigrant town is completely revamped, it's a much smaller activity that revolves around a mini-quest chain of finding specific town characters, and serves as the base for custom plate dungeons that you make or get via wireless trade. It's not nearly as important in terms of getting endgame equipment because there are no alternate versions this time.

If you find you're having trouble in the remake, you can easily build up your characters using custom dungeons. As any dungeon you make yourself gives job points, you can make a dungeon filled with Slimes and go to town. Alternatively, you can fill a dungeon with Goldmen and metal slimes and get stronger that way too. VII's still a time sink but the added content lets you focus your time investment a bit better.

Honestly that sounds a lot better. Any time I don't have to mess with multiple endings is a good thing.

Now all they have to do is announce it's coming out here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Evil Fluffy posted:

I don't remember it being that bad. I think Necrogond in DQ3 was worse the first time I went through, since I didn't have DQ3's in-box-walkthrough (which didn't mention secrets like Goof-offs become sages without a book of Satori, but hinted at them having a really good thing) but thankfully a friend had one so I didn't have to trial and error Baramos's castle too much as a kid.

Having done both within the last couple years, the Road to Rhone is worse but the Necrogond has enemies you need to watch out for whatever your power level, because Hologhosts love their instakills. (The Road to Rhone doesn't have as many of these - they're mostly in Rhone proper.)

It also took me until literally just now to realize that that monster is probably intended to be Hollow Ghost, rather than a hologram.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

BadAstronaut posted:

What is TAS?

Tool-assisted speedrun. Frame by frame analysis and taking advantage of manipulating the RNG, or at least seeing what's ahead. The major effects in Dragon Warrior are control over what enemies do, and a nearly perfect crit rate and dodge rate (sometimes you have to give up one for the other).

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Terpfen posted:

Wait, what? Why is this true?

Because it gets 110% Strength growth, 120% Agility, 105% Stamina, 115% Wisdom and 120% Luck. It's just straight bonuses across the board.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Fenrir posted:

Bingo. I'm fairly sure it's the only personality in the game (except maybe Lucky) that has no sub-100% stat growths.

That said, it's still the most fun to have a "Lewd" (best male personality, comes close to the "Sexy" stats but has some drawbacks) hero named Charlie, and 3 "Sexy" women.

In addition to Lucky, Hyper also has no negatives (it's 100% in everything except Agility, which is 140%), and so does Ordinary for obvious reasons (straight 100%).

I see no problem with your choice, though.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

That loving Sned posted:

Be careful with the fan translation of Dragon Quest VI, since it can lock up if you do a certain thing in the menu. It might be looking up a character's stats or something.

It's backing out of the Info: All status screen. Checking individual characters' is fine though so just do that. Or play the DS version if you can get it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

JustJeff88 posted:

Amen... that's a pretty game indeed. Though I stand by my disdain for the visuals in the GBC version, I am going to have to disagree with Terpfen and maintain that there are a lot of pretty SNES games that still look pleasant today.

Mind you, I'm an odd duck... I'm the only man in the industrialised world that still has a CRT TV. I was just playing a Wii game on it and thought that it looked very nice indeed.

You and everyone in the retrogaming thread who either has or wants a Trinitron.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

spacebard posted:

There's a fan translation for DQ5 for the PS2 with two flavors of spell/name localization if you wanted the higher quality music and slightly improved graphics than the DS version.

There are also a couple other differences, the most noticable of which is that Debora is only a marriage option on the DS.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Crimson Harvest posted:

Help me figure out what I was doing in DQ4 DS months ago when I quit playing it?

I'm in Chapter 5, and I have the Zenithian Shield and Armor. I don't really know what else to tell you, but I figure that's a starting point.

You should probably go looking for the Helmet now. I don't want to be really spoily about it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

With all this talk, now I need to find my DQ4DS. :sigh:

Similarly, I can't find my DQ5 and fear it was one of the three games I lost while travelling and I forgot it was in that pack.

That's not going to be so cheap to replace, and this thread makes me want to do so pretty badly. This is your guys' fault! (not really)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Bongo Bill posted:

Right, but luckily the game's short.

And you don't really even need to grab her before you go to the Dragonlord if you can find the Token in the swamp without using Gwaelin's Love.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

SmockJoc posted:

Yes, agreeing to join the Dragonlord in DQ1 turns the text red and freezes the nes game in place. I remember from when I foolishly did it at the age of 10.

Thy journey is over. Take now a long, long rest. Hahahaha....

I also like how it sets your GP and XP to 0 right before locking up with all the text in dark red.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

John Lee posted:

Regent. I only clarify because a game where you became a reagent would be extremely interesting. Like a cross between Valkyrie Profile and the Atelier games. "Train your character, then use them in dark alkhemies!"

So, pretty much the DS Valkyrie Profile.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Evil Fluffy posted:

DQ7 can take some time though it helps to plan out your jobs for everyone, because the advanced ones like Godhand take forever to reach. There's a bunch of monster jobs too but they're a chore to deal with to put it mildly. I think Hustle Dance is in DQ7 as well but I forget if it's as broken as in DQ6.

It is. It's still free healing for about 75 damage per person; what's not to like? (Note: I can't speak for the 3DS version of 7 because I've never played it, only the PSX one)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Adam Bowen posted:

Playing DQ3 and I decided to roll a Fighter instead of a Soldier for some reason but now I'd like to change that. Would it be a waste to class change from Fighter to Soldier? I feel like the Soldier just ends up being better overall, though much more expensive.

No, and in fact in the NES game that's what I usually did; you end up with a soldier with higher agility than the average. It certainly won't hurt them.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Crimson Harvest posted:

Speaking of DQ8, I'm fast approaching it in my to-do list. Are there some skills I should specifically avoid?

Weapon skills aren't usable on any other weapon (and you can't use unarmed with any weapon equipped at all - there are no unarmed weapons like claws), so it's best to focus on just one of those for most people. It may be a little different for the casters; Jessica and Angelo learn spells from Staff as well as by leveling, so it might be worth it to put points in Staff even if they're using something else.

I also don't recommend Unarmed for a first playthrough for anyone.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Evil Fluffy posted:

Swords for the hero, axes for Yangus. Late game I think you can get a rare item drop that gives a character points to spend, but it comes from something like metal kings so have fun with that if so.

Anyone who played DQ9 first is probably going to expect more points than they should though. DQ9 you could take half a dozen classes to level 10-12 and then dump 100 points in to swords so that you have gigaslash and sword usage 24/7 as soon as you reach Dharma (I forget if DQ9 gave that place a stupid pun name, it's DQ9 so it probably did).

Alltrades Abbey, which was only a pun when you considered the guy from it, Jack.

Agreed with getting way fewer points in 8 than 9 though. Expect to only max one skill with a big helping of a second by endgame and you won't be disappointed.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Bongo Bill posted:

If you don't like stupid puns then get the hell out of here.

In the case of 4 it's the stupid accents that bother me more than the puns. I like puns.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

BadAstronaut posted:

Dragon Quest V, 23 hours in, and more than a 'what do I do?' question - also a 'how am I meant to know where to go?' question:

I got the dragon orb and staff and then fought the big massive Bjorn moose monster thing after checking that the jar was red ( :wtf: ) but now I have no idea where to head for what sounds like it is getting pretty late in the game and a big showdown is on its way soon. How do we know where to go next?

Thanks.

You can talk to some people in Zenithia. One of them will give you a hint as to where to go.

If you want the answer straight-out, use the bell you get after handing in the Dragon Orb to Dr Agon and fly to Mt Azimuth. There is also an optional dungeon you can do now that you have the Ultimate Key. It's located west of Coburg.

Prism fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 9, 2014

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

BadAstronaut posted:

Where can I grind for one? How easy is it to bag one?

I got one very early. They show up near Coburg, Abovitall Tower, and I think on the Medal King's island. If you kill them last in a fight, the capture rate for the first one is 25%.

They learn useful healing spells and use heavy armour and swords, which makes them a good place to offload stuff to, and they have some elemental resistances. They don't learn Zing but they do get Fullheal, and they get Drain Magic so they can keep topped up.

Prism fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 17, 2014

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

BadAstronaut posted:

Hmmm, but I'd probably have to grind up forever at this point, though, to get him to a point where he could be useful in the final fight - and this is at a point where Mason has like... 400+ hit points and does over 100 damage easy.

What enemies drop the most gold if I just want to equip my characters with the best loot - and should Parry keep all the Zenithian stuff? Is there anything game-critical to him being fully kitted?

Nobody but Parry can use the Zenithian stuff so you might as well leave it on him. If you do want to give him something else for whatever reason, make sure someone keeps ahold of the Sword and Shield rather than tossing them in the bag; anyone can use them as items to dispel effects and cast Bounce respectively. The Armour and Helm have no on-use effect though.

As for money, I'm not sure what in particular, but fights in Nadiria are OK for it. Jewel bags (and related monsters) tend to drop tons. Using the Dragon Staff as an item will clean up most random encounters in Nadiria too.

Make sure someone in your group can cast Insulatle (fortunately, Parry can) and Oomph.

edit: I never used Mason so I can't speak for his usability. That's a golem, right? He's probably your first Oomph target since he won't be doing much but pounding.

Prism fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 17, 2014

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Bongo Bill posted:

Since it will come up for a sidequest later on, Ashlynn makes the best Luminary. Luminary is also the fastest secondary vocation to master, which will be useful for your main guy, since he only needs to master one secondary vocation to reach Hero.

Armamentalist and Paladin don't count. Don't be me; don't make your main guy a Paladin to get into Hero like I did the first time.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

RadicalR posted:

Didn't they change PS4 that you could revive one of your characters or something?

No. That character is still dead forever; as far as I know the Sega Genesis Collection is just a port with no changes. (Avoiding spoilers.)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

neongrey posted:

That's the PS2 remake and it was some weird NG+ dealie that even then required some absolutely ridiculous convoluted stuff, iirc.

That is also not Phantasy Star 4, which was the mentioned game. It's Nei in PS2, isn't it?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Question about Dragon Quest 6:

I just got to the part of the game where I can class change my characters but I noticed after changing one of my characters (Barb for example) to a soldier she wasn't able to equip an armor that I assumed a soldier would be able to equip. Do they need to level up in that class before they can equip armor suitable for that class or are they stuck wearing what was originally suited to their characters?

Equipment doesn't change by class, only by character. Barbara's gear is the same regardless, though she can use some reasonably powerful weapons.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

edit: I'm guessing the class doesn't affect stat gains either, it just gives you access to new skills and classes.

Also correct. Your stat gain is applied to your character with no class. Each class then hits it with a percentage bonus or penalty (plus sometimes an additive bonus for being a master of that class, to give you an excuse to hang around in it at 8 stars). But you're not losing any points overall by leveling in a class that is bad at a stat.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

What are the worst Dragon Quest games? Everyone has a worst Final Fantasy, but if you like DQ you tend to like the series as a whole.

1 and 2, but a lot of that is aging.

I'm going to have to go with 7 otherwise. I really want to like 7. I do. But god drat does it feel slow and awkward even compared to the other DQ games. (I understand DQ7 DS fixes some of my complaints and I would definitely play it if it was available - just because I think 7 is among the worst of the DQ games does not mean I don't like it more than I like a lot of games.)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I'm pretty sure fake Mudo hacked my tactics. My characters suddenly stopped attacking or something during the fight and I had to go into the tactics menu to force them to follow orders.

If he yells in (main character's) voice, he can in fact give them new tactics. You can switch it back at the beginning of your turn, but it does affect what they're doing this turn anyway. A couple other enemies can also do that.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I want it but I can't even import it.

That makes me very sad. :(

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Evil Fluffy posted:

Use the book of Satori to turn your Priest in to a sage too (I'm guessing Gadabout is the mobile's name for goof-off? Otherwise never mind) because there's literally no reason not to have 2 sages if you leveled a goof-off to 20.

It is, Gadabout is Goof-Off. On that note, the Book of Satori is now called Words of Wisdom, so that's what you want to get and use.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah I actually completely forgot about that. Oops.

In other news, Bjorn is kicking my rear end, dang.

Bjorn is a pretty common roadblock when I play too. Sometimes you just have to go away and level for a bit.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Srice posted:

4 has a fine cast of characters and the only person anybody remembers from 6 is Terry.

I like Barbara (Ashlynn now, I suppose) but she kind of has a huge skillset overlap with Jessica.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

In Training posted:

I think every DQ past II is probably worth playing, if you like JRPGs.

This is correct.

However, I would not under any circumstances do them all in a row. They are (intentionally) similar enough to each other in feel that I can't imagine you wouldn't burn out.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I am mad pumped that Dragon Quest 7 will be coming out soon.

Not that soon, is it? I thought it was Q3.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

TurnipFritter posted:

Dragon Quest Heroes 2 giving the people what they really want.

Character lineup:
Meena (DQ4), Maribel (DQ7), Ruff (DQ7), Carver (DQ6), Angelo (DQ8), plus Alena, Kiryl, Maya, Terry and Jessica return from DQH1.

Who the hell is Ruff?

...they changed Gabo's name, didn't they.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

BabyRyoga posted:

What the hell do they call Bikill in the translation? 'Cause it's called Baikilt in Japanese. I never really understood the one-foot in, one-foot out translation thing where they decide to translate most of the things one way that is completely different than the Japanese, but are direct on a few of them. Seems like both the old spells and the new ones are guilty of that for different spells. Just stick to one or the other, and use it consistently you fools!

Oomph.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

BabyRyoga posted:

The amount of abilties in DQM games compared to the main series is like literally 10 to 1 now; it's pretty nuts. There are weird ones that do stuff like reverse the turn order, or shuffle the turn order, or instantly end the turn on the spot. The first 2 can also be triggered randomly at the start of the battle or any given turn by traits, and there is all kinds of other turn order fuckery based on monster sizes, several other traits, and moves that are intended to always at the end of a turn. I don't even know what half the abilities and spells do without reading the descriptions in the in-game library. I think the abilities that deal damage to attackers are pretty OP this time around (my cactus dude once killed an entire enemy team with like 6000 returned damage in one round, and just got reraised at the end), but luckily the falling star samba which is also over powered doesn't trigger them

It's stuff like this that really, really makes me want another English DQM game.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Tae posted:

It's pretty good when you remember it's a goddamn NES game.

The amount of relevant content the DQ games back in the early era is mindboggling.

5 was a Super Famicom game though. It postdates FF4 and was released only two months before FF5.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Draile posted:

In retrospect it's a really bad idea to have an immense amount of your single-player game's content tied to timed DLC.

I seem to recall that even when the servers were live you'd miss inn guests if you weren't checking DQVC constantly.

Once a week, I think? And it looped but only once.

I have like 90% of the days on my file and I am afraid to create a new file to start over as I will then no longer have all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

raditts posted:

Are there not rom hacks / save editors for DQ9 at this point that unlocks all the stuff for you? It's not as though the stuff in question is actually being transferred between DSes, right?

Probably, but I actually own the game cart and couldn't apply one to it.

I guess trying the wifi thing ought to work.