Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I picked up DQ7 and I think I'm doing combat wrong. Ive been leveling jobs with my characters but boss fights seem to boil down to Maribel and Goku keeping the main character alive while he uses focus strength and uses various offensive abilities until I find one that actually does more damage than his basic attack. I'm around level 20 and just finished not-Germany and saved the world tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

precision posted:

No, it takes a little while longer from where you are for any tactics more advanced than that to be "good".

That's where I am in the game too, MC is a Sailor with Thief mastered, Ruff is a Healslime with Warrior and Fighter mastered, and Maribel is a Mage with Dancer mastered, and that's how all my boss fights go. I think you're a little under-leveled though, I'm around 23.

e: Ruff is actually probably a better hitter than MC, depending on where you've put your seeds, in most fights MC Heals while Maribal Saps

Double checked where I am and I just started Groundhog Day land. Character levels are 20,20,18. MC and Maribel have each mastered warrior, martial artist, mage, priest, dancer and thief. Ruff has warrior, thief, troubadour, shepherd, and monster masher.

So basically just keep on keepin' on?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Does anyone have a good list of the mini medals in DQ7 3ds? I found a list on gamefaqs but it just tells me things like (town name):pot or (dungeon):chest which means I have to go trudging through the entire town/dungeon breaking everything looking for them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dq7 sure does love throwing fights you're supposed to lose at you. Hybris just wrecked me in the most comical manner.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it came out in japan in 2013. the port was very slow, for the usual reasons.

America/Squenix doesn't care about Dragon Quest?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Does anyone know the level cut offs for the tablets? All my guys are too high to grind the slime tablet anymore and I think only Mervyn can do the yellow drakes now. I wanna just cruise control grind while I watch TV damnit!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

How far along do I have to be before I can do that? I just wrapped up the island with a gold goddess statue. Which goddamn was that one a slog up the mountain then down then up then down.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I finally stopped being lazy and downloaded the Dragon Quest Builders demo. I didn't realize it would be a minecraft/dark cloud hybrid that is very my poo poo in theory. Is it like actual minecraft where I'll spend forever trying to find materials to make nice things or is it actually a pretty even paced game?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hokuto posted:

There is some material gathering to do, but they're really nice about things like wall materials. They have "cladding" and "flooring" you can produce very cheaply to transform an entire 5x5 area of earth blocks into other types, like rock or brick or flagstone. They also tend to have areas like old ruined castles already built, where you can raid them for whatever furniture/decor you want if you can't build something or don't feel like farming mats for it.

In general, they do a lot to empower the builder. It's nice. You can also carry around a stonemason's table and forge to make whatever you want on the fly. Inventory management becomes a breeze the moment you craft a Colossal Coffer, which lets you access/store things from anywhere.

That's cool. I might pick it up come payday then. As long as it doesn't fall into the same issues Minecraft has of having to spend hours looking for the materials just to craft anything neat which was my biggest fear.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

In DQ7 how long is Maribel out of the party for?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Last Celebration posted:

A pretty decent chunk. They're out until the endgame stretch, which isn't absurdly far IIRC but you still have a few longish islands left. They really should have introduced Aishe earlier and made Sir Mervyn a super endgame guy or pilot critical NPC, as much as I like him

That isn't what I wanted to hear. I'd been feeding them the spell damage increasing stuff and now I'm stuck with people who aren't set up to cast. drat me for not just feeding everything to the MC.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Draile posted:

Do you mean wisdom seeds? Because wisdom doesn't begin affecting spell damage until DQ8. From DQ7 and earlier, spell damage has a static range; wisdom is your debuff dodge rate stat.

Oh, well poo poo, I should have just dumped all those into the MC then too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Do room effects stack in Builders or is there no reason to build one of every room?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Does anyone have a list of where I can get what materials in builders?

Also I can't for the life of me fine find a flower in chapter 1 to make the greenhouses with. Anyone know where I can find those?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Freakazoid_ posted:

If you can't find flowers, beat up blue slimes and drackys. They drop white and pink flower seeds, respectively.

Cool thanks I keep finding things that should be flowers but are categorized as plants.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Are all the boss fights as unfun as the golem?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Adam Bowen posted:

Nope, the rest are way worse.

I actually thought the Golem was pretty fun myself, but the next two are terrible.

I had to load my game because my town wasn't built to handle the boss arena. I clearly didn't want walls around the city.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Neat. Going to the PlayStation home doesn't pause DQB. I got a phone call and tapped the button since that's my go to for quick pausing and came back dead.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Builders Chapter 3 kind of sucks unless I'm missing something.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Man they really should have improved the camera for when you're in caves.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hokuto posted:

I would like to hear how your opinion on this changes once you get the Bashmobile.

Also, remember that trees only grow INSIDE city walls. Don't be dumb like me.

I'm super glad I put my city 6 tiles up because a troll just waltzed through turning the ground level into a giant hot spring.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Why is Alena left off that list? She speaks in a Zangiefian dialect.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

precision posted:

Alena is probably my single favorite character in the series. She's just mad stylish and tough.

e: she's really awesome in DQ Heroes

She never left my party because everything about her was rad as hell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Caidin posted:

If I ever meet the guy who thought hunger mechanics was a good fit for Builders I am going to punch them in the neck.

I'll help

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

precision posted:

Never underestimate the stupid poo poo gamers will do. There's a Gone Home speedrunning community.

Isn't that game only like five minutes long if you don't take your time to read about your lesbian sister and parents crumbling marriage?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tantegal is just not fun in any way. Cantlin was the best chapter so far.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So that guy who was.having.troubke with the people in chapter 4 not cooking isn't alone. I just brought back the sages and they still won't cook anything for me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Final Chapter never got better. It's the only one I rushed through because it was just bland and awful. Everything else I took my time and explored for so this is the first one I got the challenge of beating it quickly done.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Zaggitz posted:

I'm glad i finally got t play DQ7, but holy moly am I never ging to play dq7 ever again after i beat it

Yeah. I put it down at the island after getting the replacement for Maribel and haven't got back yet

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

DalaranJ posted:

I spent two hours building a brick wall around Rimuldar. Guess what? Enemies break brick just as easily as dirt.

This game really knows how to get on my nerves.

Each block has a toughness as far as i can tell don't ask me to rank them though. After a certain point I just started building my poo poo above the enemies.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

precision posted:

Yeah there's really no reason not to build a base that's hanging in the air like an affront to God.

I tried the wall route with Cantlin, even built a little moat. All that did was make it so the little hammerfucks dug the floor out of my entire goddamned city. Assholes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

precision posted:

Yeah I think anything that's "second story" is safe from the most annoying monsters. Starting in Chapter 3 that's what I did, just made a massive staircase and then laid the floor down up there.

Probably still want to keep the crafting stations on ground floor so NPCs can get to them easier, if that matters to you.

I didn't even do that. You just have to make sure it's easy as hell to get to. Those NPCs are lazy as poo poo and won't climb ladders or vines.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Looper posted:

Alternatively, talk to your party members. If you don't know anyone who can talk to animals, you need to explore Estard island more thoroughly

This is probably what you need to do. It's where I got hung up at that part

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It was determined that of I have DQ8 on PS2 that it isn't worth rebuilt correct?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

precision posted:

There is an unreasonably long period of time in DQ7 where every single battle is just "MC uses Lightning, Ruff uses Roundhouse Kick, Maribel does whatever because everything will be dead anyway".

Like what even is the point of buying weapons?

I got burned out because of that. I just got my replacement fourth party member and am at an island where I help rear end in a top hat winged people lord their wings over us regular people and just can't find the energy to keep going.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

some guy on the bus posted:

How can you not like Maribel or be wanting more story than 7 has?

Where are you in it?

Dudes previous post says under 12 hours. So well before where the game gets fun in any way but before the fun wears off and it becomes a slog again.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm at the sullied sanctum in dq7 what are the win abilities so I can just cruise through all these battles? Lightning seems to have stopped being useful

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bigass Moth posted:

Thin air and scorch will get you through mobs easy. Knuckle sandwich and sword dance for bosses until you unlock champion and blade of ultimate power.

I suggest not using blade of ultimate power since it is ultra cheese and you'll have no challenge.

Kick rear end thanks. Thin air is a huge step up. Any suggestions for where I ultimately build my dudes up to?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Decus posted:

DQ7 3DS would have been made 10000% better instantly if it had the same aggressive culling.

Or if it would have slowed the enemies down. I swear they run faster than the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Traded in Pokemon and some GameStop points for DQ8. I barely played the game on PS2 and really only remember a midget namekian being important.