Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

KingSlime posted:

Cool, that works. So correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the GBC version give you the map on the fly? Or was it also until you got through the first continent?

You got the map on the fly as you enter the last dungeon in the first continent, at least in the GBC/SNES versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

Draile posted:

The NES version of DQ4 is one of my all time favorite games, but I have to admit that the DS version is better. You can control your party members in Chapter 5 if you so choose, which means you actually can use all those spells and abilities you are learning.

You don't need all those spells, Cristo will handle everything with Beat and Defeat.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

I just finished dq5 for the ds recently and while it was OK I wasn't blown away since I've always heard people really liked it. I'd tried it on snes before but couldn't get into it. Maybe if I'd played it twenty years ago I would have loved it. I just felt like it dragged on and I didn't really like the monster recruiting.

Started dq6 on ds and am way more into it. It just feels like a more polished game.

DQV on the SNES was very underwhelming - too me, it marked the point where the Final Fantasy series actually passed DQ as the innovator for JRPGs at the time. DQV DS is really well done and a huge step up from the SNES original. I've played through it a couple of times and I've been itching lately to play it again. That said, I agree that DQ6 is a far more polished game (and it seems like Enix took a lot of lessons from Square) and I definitely prefer it, though it can get kind of grindy depending on your vocation choices. Not DW7 grindy, mind you, but still grindy.